or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant? - Page 6

Poll Results: Arrogant?

 
  • 52% (50)
    Yes
  • 47% (45)
    No
95 Total Votes  
post #91 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

only point is the win didn't demonstrate how he'll handle the pressure of a Major or a Sunday where he's really got to play at his best.

 

Nothing he did, didn't do or could possibly have done yesterday was going to demonstrate that. There's no way to show how you're going to perform while leading or in contention on the final day at a Major until you're playing with the lead or in contention on the final day at a Major.

post #92 of 370

I voted no, but wished there was a "maybe" choice.  I don't care how much someone can back up their talk, if you win a competition, then talk about how good you are, you're kind of a jerk.  That doesn't mean you have be Mr Humility but it's not an either/or situation.

post #93 of 370

I voted no but so far it's a close call (and I didn't actually hear his post round interview).

 

Maybe he turns out to be really arrogant and the kind of guy I love to hate and maybe I end up rooting for him. Too early for me to know.

 

Plenty of people that I do like and are, or were, really good were always walking that line between confident and arrogant and crossed over every now and then. If they could back it up it didn't bother me. If they couldn't back it up they just ended up looking stupid.

post #94 of 370
I voted NO because I believe it was something said in the heat of an overwhelming moment. I've also heard that he has backed off of those statements (or at least quantified them) in subsequent interviews.

The wearing red and black thing on Sunday though? That is pure amateur hour, hopefully he figures that out because I will mock him. Looks like an idiot doing that.
post #95 of 370

I voted NO.  The guy is a huge talent and he's retracted those comments he made, just minutes after winning a WGC tournament.  Give the young guy a break!

post #96 of 370
He is confident and truly believes in himself. That's something you really need to win on tour. I don't think he's cocky at all, he just believes in his game right now. As for him wearing the red and black on Sunday, who cares? He can wear whatever he wants, last time I checked tiger doesn't have a copyright on wearing red and black on sunday.
post #97 of 370

One thing is for sure.  The guy created a lot of unnecessary buzz going into his first major.  He could have just had a ton of "positive" buzz about him returning to Augusta and getting to play in his first major, but now he has created 2 camps of fans. 

 

  There are clearly a lot of people that DO think the guy is too arrogant and cocky, and all that does is put pressure on him.  Maybe he'll respond well to that pressure, but it's still pressure he created.  

 

I'll go on record and say he misses the cut at Augusta.

post #98 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

One thing is for sure.  The guy created a lot of unnecessary buzz going into his first major.  There are clearly a lot of people that DO think the guy is too arrogant and cocky, and all that does is put pressure on him.  Maybe he'll respond well to that pressure, but it's still pressure he created.  

 

I'll go on record and say he misses the cut at Augusta.

 

Did he or did the media and the fans created the buzz with their own personal judgments about the guy?

 

So? Is that a Patrick Reed problem, or a problem with fans who can't get past their own prejudices on how athletes should act. Honestly if people think he sounded arrogant, they have no clue what arrogance sounds like. He didn't sound arrogant at all. 

 

Does it put pressure on him? How would you know? Maybe he just doesn't give a damn what people think of him. A lot of people like to think they know what might bother someone or what another person is thinking, but they have no clue. 

 

You know he misses the cut how? 

post #99 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

One thing is for sure.  The guy created a lot of unnecessary buzz going into his first major.  He could have just had a ton of "positive" buzz about him returning to Augusta and getting to play in his first major, but now he has created 2 camps of fans. 

 

I think he created a lot of positive buzz when he won three times in seven months. Whether he is perceived as arrogant or not, it's not going to effect how he plays at Augusta.  

post #100 of 370

I liken Patrick Reed to another athlete that due to a post-game comment created two factions.....we'll call him 'Richard'.  We need people on tour like him.  He also has a Shooter McGavin type quality to him. 

post #101 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Did he or did the media and the fans created the buzz with their own personal judgments about the guy?

Ummm, B. :-P   NBC created this story and did it rather well, I must say.

 

A lesser producer would not have thought to air the "top 5" interview during Sundays telecast, allowing the commentators to opine on it.  And a lesser producer would not have had the interviewer re-ask the same question after the tournament Sunday.

 

Otherwise, Reed would be somebody like Russell Henley.  Nobody would have anything much bad to say about him, but it wouldn't really matter, because nobody would really be asking about him either.

 

Patrick Reed's profile skyrocketed, and this buzz can only serve to raise the ratings of the upcoming tournaments, especially if Reed continues to play solidly.

post #102 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Did he or did the media and the fans created the buzz with their own personal judgments about the guy?

 

So? Is that a Patrick Reed problem, or a problem with fans who can't get past their own prejudices on how athletes should act. Honestly if people think he sounded arrogant, they have no clue what arrogance sounds like. He didn't sound arrogant at all.

 

Does it put pressure on him? How would you know? Maybe he just doesn't give a damn what people think of him. A lot of people like to think they know what might bother someone or what another person is thinking, but they have no clue.

 

You know he misses the cut how?

Let's be careful about making opinions sound like facts (bolded).  Many people thought he sounded arrogant, just because you didn't doesn't mean your definition of arrogance applies to everyone.

post #103 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

I think he created a lot of positive buzz when he won three times in seven months. Whether he is perceived as arrogant or not, it's not going to effect how he plays at Augusta.  

I disagree.  I think that he also generated a lot of negative buzz, and I think it will impact him at Augusta.  He's now ignored the world rankings and proclaimed himself a top 5 player.  In my opinion, it will hurt him mentally during his first major if he starts to make mistakes.  

post #104 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

I disagree.  I think that he also generated a lot of negative buzz, and I think it will impact him at Augusta.  He's now ignored the world rankings and proclaimed himself a top 5 player.  In my opinion, it will hurt him mentally during his first major if he starts to make mistakes.  

 

Explain to me his thought process on this? I don't get this line of thinking. What is he suddenly going to think, "OMG I am the 20th player in world!!!!!" Seriously, you are not making sense. 

post #105 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Explain to me his thought process on this? I don't get this line of thinking. What is he suddenly going to think, "OMG I am the 20th player in world!!!!!" Seriously, you are not making sense. 

Say what you want, but golf is a mental game, and we'll see if I'm right.  You obviously don't understand what I'm saying, from the comment you posted.  What I'm saying is that now he's told the world he's a top 5 player, he's put the pressure of playing like one on himself, rather than just coming up in the world rankings, and letting his play do the talking.

 

 So if he starts to play poorly at Augusta, I think it puts more pressure on him, internally, that he needs to play well to back up all of the chest pounding and media buzz that he's recently created.   If you don't understand that, then you don't understand how mental of a game golf is, IMO.  

 

When you step into the spotlight and talk about how great you are, it can make it a lot harder to bounce back from failure because everyone remembers you telling them how amazing you are.  You don't agree with any of that?  

post #106 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

I disagree.  I think that he also generated a lot of negative buzz, and I think it will impact him at Augusta.  He's now ignored the world rankings and proclaimed himself a top 5 player.  In my opinion, it will hurt him mentally during his first major if he starts to make mistakes.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Explain to me his thought process on this? I don't get this line of thinking. What is he suddenly going to think, "OMG I am the 20th player in world!!!!!" Seriously, you are not making sense.

It has potential to work against him, it depends on how well he handles pressure.  Some people put extra pressure on themselves because they feed off of it.  Others crumble under it.  There's no way to know how Reed will respond.  He might also have a few hecklers in the gallery which might annoy or anger him as well.

post #107 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

 

 

It has potential to work against him, it depends on how well he handles pressure.  Some people put extra pressure on themselves because they feed off of it.  Others crumble under it.  There's no way to know how Reed will respond.  He might also have a few hecklers in the gallery which might annoy or anger him as well.

Thank you. At least someone can see where I'm coming from.  I agree that he might handle the extra self-induced pressure well, but my opinion is that it will backfire on him in his first major.  

post #108 of 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

Say what you want, but golf is a mental game, and we'll see if I'm right.  You obviously don't understand what I'm saying, from the comment you posted.  What I'm saying is that now he's told the world he's a top 5 player, he's put the pressure of playing like one on himself, rather than just coming up in the world rankings, and letting his play do the talking.

 

 So if he starts to play poorly at Augusta, I think it puts more pressure on him, internally, that he needs to play well to back up all of the chest pounding and media buzz that he's recently created.   If you don't understand that, then you don't understand how mental of a game golf is, IMO.  

 

When you step into the spotlight and talk about how great you are, it can make it a lot harder to bounce back from failure because everyone remembers you telling them how amazing you are.  You don't agree with any of that?  

 

Umm, I don't think it matters much because it is THE MASTERS. You are putting to much on the fact that you think this golfer cares what others thinks of him. You assume that just because he said it means he was trying to get the attention. Who knows, he might just say it because he's honest. We don't know. This is why your assumption can't be made. Well it can, but you have no clue if it is true or not. Now that you claimed it, you can claim that was the reason why, if Reed falls apart at the masters, for him falling apart. Yet you still don't know, because you don't know what he thinks unless he tells you. 

 

Also, just because he said he's number 5 doesn't add pressure. What ever his mind thinks is what pressure he is going to feel. Heck he could think he's number 5 and not say it and still feel the same pressure even if have or had not said it. Saying something doesn't add anything to it. 

 

Just because you say something doesn't mean it adds pressure to perform to what you say. Some people might want to prove themselves right, some people don't. Like I said you CAN'T assume this with Reed, cause you just don't know. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

 

 

It has potential to work against him, it depends on how well he handles pressure.  Some people put extra pressure on themselves because they feed off of it.  Others crumble under it.  There's no way to know how Reed will respond.  He might also have a few hecklers in the gallery which might annoy or anger him as well.

 

 

Exactly, there is NO WAY TO KNOW, how Reed will respond. You can't assume it adds pressure or not. To do so is just guessing. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?