or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (crucifixx)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (crucifixx)

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I've been Playing Golf for:​ 6 years on and off

My current handicap index or average score is: 15-20

My typical ball flight is: high

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: fat/hook

 


 

Videos:

 

Hi guys, long time lurker here. Finally decided to post my swing. Looking for some tips from you guys here :-)

 

Club used - 7 iron (I think)
Some mistakes I noticed myself:
1. Overswing
2. Scooping motion with wrist through impact causing to swing upwards?
3. Spine angle becomes more upright through downswing. I'm more standing up on my downswing.

Please feel free to weigh in on this, I really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
 

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifixx View Post
 

 

Some mistakes I noticed myself:
1. Overswing
2. Scooping motion with wrist through impact causing to swing upwards?
3. Spine angle becomes more upright through downswing. I'm more standing up on my downswing.
 

 

Would just start with turning the feet out at address. Will help the hips and shoulders turn on a steeper angle because the knees can move more effectively. Your lower body is very "static", so the pivot is too level and that's where the "overswing" comes from. More info in the videos.

 

 

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

Would just start with turning the feet out at address. Will help the hips and shoulders turn on a steeper angle because the knees can move more effectively. Your lower body is very "static", so the pivot is too level and that's where the "overswing" comes from. More info in the videos.

Thanks for your feedback! I think my problem was I did it on purpose as I read often somewhere that your lower body's turn should be constricted therefore it creates this coil which creates power. But now that you mention it, I think it does the opposite of that. My swing definitely looks a lot like the one on the left. Could this have cause my loss of spine angle on the downswing?  I'll try to open up my feet at address the next time I'm at the range.

 

As for my third problem that I mentioned, I may have described it wrong, I think it has more to do with my hip protruding forward during the downswing, even though my head stays level throughout the swing. I believe this is called the 'humping the goat' motion or something?

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifixx View Post
 

Could this have cause my loss of spine angle on the downswing?  I'll try to open up my feet at address the next time I'm at the range.

 

Yes for sure but...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifixx View Post

 

 

As for my third problem that I mentioned, I may have described it wrong, I think it has more to do with my hip protruding forward during the downswing, even though my head stays level throughout the swing. I believe this is called the 'humping the goat' motion or something?

 

You're not really "goat humping" that much, head comes off the wall the right amount. 

 

Part of the hip stuff is the set-up, you have an arch in the lower back and you can't really maintain that on the downswing. Hips being too square also effects the picture.

 

First things first, flare the feet and we'll see what that does with the pivot.

 

Also watch the camera angles, film the dtl swing down the stance line, yours is kind of in between target and stance.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

 

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

Yes for sure but...

 

 

You're not really "goat humping" that much, head comes off the wall the right amount. 

 

Part of the hip stuff is the set-up, you have an arch in the lower back and you can't really maintain that on the downswing. Hips being too square also effects the picture.

 

First things first, flare the feet and we'll see what that does with the pivot.

 

Also watch the camera angles, film the dtl swing down the stance line, yours is kind of in between target and stance.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

 

Got it, I'll try to make the changes and re-film the swing. Thanks a lot for your tips!

post #6 of 8

Hey Crucifixx

 

I just thought i would have a quick look at your swing and ive got to say a lot of positives there.

It's definitely a swing that with a few tweaks  you can play good golf with. 

 

However there are a few thing that I noticed that you can play around with and i would love to know how you get on.

 

First thing i kinda see is the club gets a little out side the line of your feet so its pointing away from you. This can sometimes cause the club to get a little steep, once the club gets a bit steep you will often find that you may get stuck at impact. Opening the blade to the target line, but being a better player you wont allow this to happen so what happens is you will flick the club head with your hands often causing a hook or pull draw. I'd bet money sometimes you hit a push shot as a miss particularly with longer clubs.

 

The second thing I see sort of a result of the first is that during your weight transfer you stay very back on your right side. This will definitely promote a high shot and a weak ball flight.

I would recommend a great drill for this, place a golf ball way past the outside of your left foot maybe 2 or 3 inches past it. Take an iron and try to hit the ball. As crazy as this sounds it will force you to transfer your weight to the left side. Being a better player will be able to do this. Other than that without seeing so more swings this is all i can recommend.

 

And a word of advice from an okay player. 

 

Remember to have an idea of what shot your trying to hit and work towards that, too often people tinker constantly and often do more damage than good beginner and pro alike. find what works and stick to it.

 

Good luck with your game.

 

Peter Faragher 

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFaragher View Post
 

Hey Crucifixx

 

I just thought i would have a quick look at your swing and ive got to say a lot of positives there.

It's definitely a swing that with a few tweaks  you can play good golf with. 

 

However there are a few thing that I noticed that you can play around with and i would love to know how you get on.

 

First thing i kinda see is the club gets a little out side the line of your feet so its pointing away from you. This can sometimes cause the club to get a little steep, once the club gets a bit steep you will often find that you may get stuck at impact. Opening the blade to the target line, but being a better player you wont allow this to happen so what happens is you will flick the club head with your hands often causing a hook or pull draw. I'd bet money sometimes you hit a push shot as a miss particularly with longer clubs.

 

The second thing I see sort of a result of the first is that during your weight transfer you stay very back on your right side. This will definitely promote a high shot and a weak ball flight.

I would recommend a great drill for this, place a golf ball way past the outside of your left foot maybe 2 or 3 inches past it. Take an iron and try to hit the ball. As crazy as this sounds it will force you to transfer your weight to the left side. Being a better player will be able to do this. Other than that without seeing so more swings this is all i can recommend.

 

And a word of advice from an okay player. 

 

Remember to have an idea of what shot your trying to hit and work towards that, too often people tinker constantly and often do more damage than good beginner and pro alike. find what works and stick to it.

 

Good luck with your game.

 

Peter Faragher 

Hi Peter, thanks for the lengthy response! I will be trying the tips tonight at the range. I hope to see some improvement. I do get stuck often on impact, I feel like I've never felt what it's like to have your downswing in a fluid motion. And yes, most of the time my shot would be a hook/draw.

 

Very grateful with the response from this forum. I should've done this a long time ago haha. Thanks guys.

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 

So I went to the range tonight and made the changes you guys suggested and it made my swing worlds better!

 

It's still far from perfect but I think I made some good progress.

 

I focused on weight transfer most of the time, and trying to get my weight forward during the downswing.

 

I still lose a little bit of spine angle though not as bad as before and my swing feels much more fluid this way and it feels like it gets stuck less.

I still have to turn my hip more during the backswing.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (crucifixx)