or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf Digest piece on Trackman
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golf Digest piece on Trackman

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/2014-03/gwar-trackman-0310

Didn't know GC2 was popular w/tour players.

Chamblee hates it. Nobilo opposite.

Speith a big user.

LA has a place that rents time - where?

43 players bought it to Humana.

Ping bought 66 of them. ~$1.5m?

1st one sold for 200K

Lots of ink on Foley. Trackmanmaestro gets a mention.


_
post #2 of 36

Interesting.  I didn't realize it was that conveniently mobile.

post #3 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Didn't know GC2 was popular w/tour players.

Chamblee hates it. Nobilo opposite.
Chamblee probably thinks it's witchcraft. g2_eek.gif
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Chamblee probably thinks it's witchcraft. g2_eek.gif

 

 

"Although Golf Channel's Brandel Chamblee is one of TrackMan's biggest naysayers -- "Not one tour pro needs a machine to tell him how to hit a fade or draw," he says"

The Machine doesn't tell them how to, every golfer has to figure out their own "How To" when it comes to golf. It just confirms what they are feeling. Brandel is just stuck in his dogmatic view points. 

post #5 of 36
I look at launch data like I do stats. Tells you whether or not you doing what you intend to not how to do it. Instant feedback is useful.
post #6 of 36

Brandel does not like it because it "proves" the "new ball flight laws".  He does not want to admit he was wrong all these years.

post #7 of 36

Not a big shock that a young up and coming kid like Spieth likes it and an old washed up dinosaur like Chamblee doesn't.  I think some of these older guys resent the technology because it allows the younger generation to get better faster.

 

If Hogan were alive today he might have found the answers on the Trackman and not in the dirt.

post #8 of 36

Has Chamblee publicly stated why he doesn't like it? I would be curious to see his reasoning

post #9 of 36

I'm leaving my Chamblee comments to my self ...

 

I'm a stat/data junkie due to my role in business analytics/IS ... Numbers don't lie ...

 

 

Rob

post #10 of 36
Chamblee does know best with his extensive golf career and one win. That pretty much would make anyone an expert on EVERYTHING GOLF.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark View Post

Chamblee does know best with his extensive golf career and one win. That pretty much would make anyone an expert on EVERYTHING GOLF.

 

FWIW I hate this line of commentary (a lot of people are guilty… hell I've probably done it more times than I can recall). That one win and long-time PGA Tour career is a lot more than any of us have.

 

It doesn't change the facts, though:

  1. PGA Tour experience is relevant, though as the years go by and technology advances decreasingly so, to what it takes to be a PGA Tour player.
  2. Everyone is a bit different. Chamblee may play worse with technology, others may play better. Sweeping generalizations by any side come off as short-sighted in light of this.
  3. Chamblee is paid to be provocative. He does his job very well.
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi1026 View Post
 

I'm leaving my Chamblee comments to my self ...

 

I'm a stat/data junkie due to my role in business analytics/IS ... Numbers don't lie ...

 

One of issues is that TM states all the numbers as facts, measured or calculated but as facts. There is no mention (on result screen) about accuracy of each figure. It just states spin 3650, not +-200. This seems too exact to actually be true.

 

TM and Flightscope are good and useful, but they are not foolproof.

post #13 of 36
What is the chance his anti-trackman stance is just passive aggressive Tiger/Foley bashing? No doubt he is paid to stir it up but he seems to personalize it at times. Hung up on it even.
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by luu5 View Post
 

One of issues is that TM states all the numbers as facts, measured or calculated but as facts. There is no mention (on result screen) about accuracy of each figure. It just states spin 3650, not +-200. This seems too exact to actually be true.

 

The tolerances are pretty tight for acceptable data (i.e. data that isn't marked as "possibly less accurate than we prefer"). It can only measure what it measures.

 

Read newsletter #9 if you're interested in the accuracy and the constant quest of both TrackMan and FlightScope to make sure they keep verifying things.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luu5 View Post
 

TM and Flightscope are good and useful, but they are not foolproof.

 

Nobody's saying that… but they're pretty darn accurate, and the best tools available for what they do.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

What is the chance his anti-trackman stance is just passive aggressive Tiger/Foley bashing? No doubt he is paid to stir it up but he seems to personalize it at times. Hung up on it even.

 

Perhaps. But still, he's paid to be an op-ed guy. This thread is mostly talking about him so far…

post #15 of 36

Good chance. Brandel knows all about TrackMan and has had sessions with Joe Mayo and Grant Waite. The bashing is all part of his schtick -- the reactionary defender of golf's old and hallowed ways. 

post #16 of 36

I liked this:

 

Quote:
 

Foley's friend was stunned, saying, "That seems too technical to me." Foley countered that it was only "technical if you do not understand TrackMan. If you understand TrackMan, this simplifies things."

 

I can't wait to have a trackman on my cell phone in 2020!

post #17 of 36

GC2 is pretty nice, too. Easiest to use monitor for the average person, by a mile. Their problem is they didn't design for club head measurement at the outset and have had to kludge together an add-on solution which involves the precise placement of reflective stickers on the club face, which is a ****ing mission. The big advantage of the camera is it can see the actual impact point on the face, which radars can not.

post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

FWIW I hate this line of commentary (a lot of people are guilty… hell I've probably done it more times than I can recall). That one win and long-time PGA Tour career is a lot more than any of us have.

It doesn't change the facts, though:
  1. PGA Tour experience is relevant, though as the years go by and technology advances decreasingly so, to what it takes to be a PGA Tour player.
  2. Everyone is a bit different. Chamblee may play worse with technology, others may play better. Sweeping generalizations by any side come off as short-sighted in light of this.
  3. Chamblee is paid to be provocative. He does his job very well.
probably off topic...
I totally agree BUT he is covering tour players and talks about the best in the world and tries to act like he is still relevant and has an elitist attitude among that company. His personality kills me. I liken to the guy that got a silver medal in swimming and constantly berates Michael Phelps and talks about how and why Michael isn't that great at swimming. Just my opinion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf Digest piece on Trackman