or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill Discussion Thread - Page 16

post #271 of 329

Leave it to Chamblee to say something stupid.

 

With respect to Scott, "a couple of days ago when it looked like he was the sure winner, I was thinking, if he wins, in a weird way, it's bad for him going into Augusta National.  And in a weird way, this is good for him going into Augusta National I do believe."

 

How does this guy still have a job? :blink:

post #272 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

Leave it to Chamblee to say something stupid.

 

With respect to Scott, "a couple of days ago when it looked like he was the sure winner, I was thinking, if he wins, in a weird way, it's bad for him going into Augusta National.  And in a weird way, this is good for him going into Augusta National I do believe."

 

How does this guy still have a job? :blink:

Winning is never a bad thing. Chamblee is a dipshit. He really brings down the Golf Channel telecast. 

post #273 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

Leave it to Chamblee to say something stupid.

 

With respect to Scott, "a couple of days ago when it looked like he was the sure winner, I was thinking, if he wins, in a weird way, it's bad for him going into Augusta National.  And in a weird way, this is good for him going into Augusta National I do believe."

 

How does this guy still have a job? :blink:

 

It's not stupid. What about all the people who said that Scott's meltdown in the 2012 Open Championship was good for him before he won the Masters? Was that stupid? No, it was pretty much a consensus position. This is comparable. It strengthens his resolve. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

post #274 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 

 

It's not stupid. What about all the people who said that Scott's meltdown in the 2012 Open Championship was good for him before he won the Masters? Was that stupid? No, it was pretty much a consensus position. This is comparable. It strengthens his resolve.

And that 'consensus decision' made no logical sense. Losing does not breed success; success does. And it's not like Scott hadn't had chances down the stretch at big tournaments. 

post #275 of 329
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 

 

It's not stupid. What about all the people who said that Scott's meltdown in the 2012 Open Championship was good for him before he won the Masters? Was that stupid? No, it was pretty much a consensus position. This is comparable. It strengthens his resolve.

 

Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post
 

And that 'consensus decision' made no logical sense. Losing does not breed success; success does. And it's not like Scott hadn't had chances down the stretch at big tournaments.

 

It makes a lot of sense and losing is a way of life on the PGA Tour. If you can't handle it, get out. Scott is a great player and will handle it. You just don't like it because Chamblee said it, but I guarantee you that a lot of pundits will be saying it in the next couple of weeks. Hell, Scott himself will probably say it.

post #276 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

It makes a lot of sense and losing is a way of life on the PGA Tour. If you can't handle it, get out. Scott is a great player and will handle it. You just don't like it because Chamblee said it, but I guarantee you that a lot of pundits will be saying it in the next couple of weeks. Hell, Scott himself will probably say it.
I'm with Phan on this. I think he said it best when he said it could "strengthen his resolve." I don't think what Chamblee said was stupid.
post #277 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 

 

It's not stupid. What about all the people who said that Scott's meltdown in the 2012 Open Championship was good for him before he won the Masters? Was that stupid? No, it was pretty much a consensus position. This is comparable. It strengthens his resolve.

 

Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post
 

And that 'consensus decision' made no logical sense. Losing does not breed success; success does. And it's not like Scott hadn't had chances down the stretch at big tournaments.

It makes a lot of sense and losing is a way of life on the PGA Tour. If you can't handle it, get out. Scott is a great player and will handle it. You just don't like it because Chamblee said it, but I guarantee you that a lot of pundits will be saying it in the next couple of weeks. Hell, Scott himself will probably say it.

 

I absolutely disagree with that notion.

 

If Adam Scott weren't one of the elite players in the world, I could consider possibly giving the statement some credence.

 

However, Scott is who he is and I seriously doubt that someone of his caliber, if he had won this tournament, would have somehow lost some of the hunger to defend his Master's title.  Conversely, I think it's ludicrous to think because he lost that somehow he's hungrier.  He's #2 in the world, not #100.

post #278 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post

And that 'consensus decision' made no logical sense. Losing does not breed success; success does. And it's not like Scott hadn't had chances down the stretch at big tournaments. 

Maybe in high school or college a loss can be a good wakeup call when they are getting a little spoiled with success.

At the professional level they shoudn't need a reminder or motivation.
post #279 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

I absolutely disagree with that notion.

 

If Adam Scott weren't one of the elite players in the world, I could consider possibly giving the statement some credence.

 

However, Scott is who he is and I seriously doubt that someone of his caliber, if he had won this tournament, would have somehow lost some of the hunger to defend his Master's title.  Conversely, I think it's ludicrous to think because he lost that somehow he's hungrier.  He's #2 in the world, not #100.

Yeah, he's #2 in the world. He's also played in close to 50 tournaments in the last two years and won 5 times. So, in the prime of his career, his success rate is about 10%, whick means he is used to losing in tournaments. But losing in THAT manner will have an effect on a great player, and not a negative one. He'll use it to his advantage. Sure he has a hunger to win, but now moreso.

post #280 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 

 

It makes a lot of sense and losing is a way of life on the PGA Tour. If you can't handle it, get out. Scott is a great player and will handle it. You just don't like it because Chamblee said it, but I guarantee you that a lot of pundits will be saying it in the next couple of weeks. Hell, Scott himself will probably say it.

I don't like it because Chamblee said it and because I think it's wrong.

 

You can't call what happens on the PGA Tour losing, really; it's not the same thing as losing a football game or a basketball game. Even if you do believe that it' s the same, then by that logic his resolve should be strengthened every time he doesn't win a tournament. 

 

Also, I can't see how losing a tournament in such a way is this close to an even bigger tournament in the Masters is good for his psyche. Going off the idea that losing in such a way affects him enough to change his resolve, then it's not crazy to think that this would hurt his confidence, so I think that Chamblee saying this collapse would be good for him at the Masters doesn't make much sense. 

post #281 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post
 

I don't like it because Chamblee said it and because I think it's wrong.

 

You can't call what happens on the PGA Tour losing, really; it's not the same thing as losing a football game or a basketball game. Even if you do believe that it' s the same, then by that logic his resolve should be strengthened every time he doesn't win a tournament.

 

Also, I can't see how losing a tournament in such a way is this close to an even bigger tournament in the Masters is good for his psyche. Going off the idea that losing in such a way affects him enough to change his resolve, then it's not crazy to think that this would hurt his confidence, so I think that Chamblee saying this collapse would be good for him at the Masters doesn't make much sense.

 

I think what Chablee said makes a lot of sense. Winning going away does nothing for him. Losing like that will steel his resolve because he is not just some schlub in the top 100. He's the #2 player in the world and he'll use it to his advantage That's what great players do with setbacks.

 

JMO.

post #282 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

I absolutely disagree with that notion.

 

If Adam Scott weren't one of the elite players in the world, I could consider possibly giving the statement some credence.

 

However, Scott is who he is and I seriously doubt that someone of his caliber, if he had won this tournament, would have somehow lost some of the hunger to defend his Master's title.  Conversely, I think it's ludicrous to think because he lost that somehow he's hungrier.  He's #2 in the world, not #100.

Yeah, he's #2 in the world. He's also played in close to 50 tournaments in the last two years and won 5 times. So, in the prime of his career, his success rate is about 10%, whick means he is used to losing in tournaments. But losing in THAT manner will have an effect on a great player, and not a negative one. He'll use it to his advantage. Sure he has a hunger to win, but now moreso.

 

I disagree.  I think he's a professional and the hunger to defend his title is giving him the maximum amount of motivation he needs.  Losing this tournament, IMO, changes nothing in that respect.

post #283 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

I disagree.  I think he's a professional and the hunger to defend his title is giving him the maximum amount of motivation he needs.  Losing this tournament, IMO, changes nothing in that respect.

 

Well, that's your opinion and I disagree, but I won't call it stupid. It is just an opinion. Chamblee's position is every bit as valid, and he is far from alone. It's not stupid.

post #284 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

I disagree.  I think he's a professional and the hunger to defend his title is giving him the maximum amount of motivation he needs.  Losing this tournament, IMO, changes nothing in that respect.

 

Well, that's your opinion, but I won't call it stupid. It is just an opinion. Chamblee's position is every bit as valid, and he is far from alone. It's not stupid.

 

You are well within you're right to call it my opinion stupid or not.  Just like I'm well within my right to call your opinion stupid or not.  Just like I'm well within my right to call Chamblee's opinion stupid or not.

 

I call Chamblee's opinion stupid.

post #285 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

It's not stupid. What about all the people who said that Scott's meltdown in the 2012 Open Championship was good for him before he won the Masters? Was that stupid? No, it was pretty much a consensus position. This is comparable. It strengthens his resolve. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I tend to agree!
post #286 of 329
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

 

I disagree. I think he's a professional and the hunger to defend his title is giving him the maximum amount of motivation he needs. Losing this tournament, IMO, changes nothing in that respect.

 

Well, that's your opinion, but I won't call it stupid. It is just an opinion. Chamblee's position is every bit as valid, and he is far from alone. It's not stupid.

 

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

You are well within you're right to call it my opinion stupid or not.  Just like I'm well within my right to call your opinion stupid or not.  Just like I'm well within my right to call Chamblee's opinion stupid or not.

 

I call Chamblee's opinion stupid.

 

Well, I must say, that's pretty stupid.

post #287 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

 

I disagree. I think he's a professional and the hunger to defend his title is giving him the maximum amount of motivation he needs. Losing this tournament, IMO, changes nothing in that respect.

 

Well, that's your opinion, but I won't call it stupid. It is just an opinion. Chamblee's position is every bit as valid, and he is far from alone. It's not stupid.

 

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

You are well within you're right to call it my opinion stupid or not.  Just like I'm well within my right to call your opinion stupid or not.  Just like I'm well within my right to call Chamblee's opinion stupid or not.

 

I call Chamblee's opinion stupid.

 

Well, I must say, that's pretty stupid.

 

Well, at least we have found agreement in that we each feel the other has shared something and, as a result, we think there is some stupidity involved with the other's position.

post #288 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

Not quite sure what you're trying to suggest with your post.  It's obvious that Adam Scott is talented, anyone that denies that is just fooling themselves because you don't get to #2 in the world without talent.  

That being said, I just have never been a fan of national announcers gushing over players, and it's not just in golf.  Didn't like it when they would do it with Michael Jordan in basketball and don't like it when they do it with Sidney Crosby in the hockey and don't get me started with some of the announcers of NFL games.  In sports where you have a home media market, it's a little more understandable because 95% of people watching are rooting for the home media market team, but in national telecasts, it annoys me to no end.

I'm saying that he doesn't strike me as someone who doesn't want to win, nor someone who "falters" a lot.

But then, your standards may be higher than mine.......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill Discussion Thread