or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 FIFA World Cup Thread - Page 65

post #1153 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

The sad thing is the NBA is worse these days. I wish they would fine all floppers in the NBA and in soccer a minimum of $50K for each flop.

It might be worse as far as flopping to try and draw fouls.  If not, I agree that it's pretty close.

 

However, it's not even remotely close in terms of embellishment after the call has been made (or not).  The NBA'ers fake contact for a whistle, but not seemingly life threatening injuries for seconds, and sometimes minutes afterwards.  That's the part that really gets me.

 

I'm off-topic now, no doubt, but it gets pretty damn bad in the NBA. I still agree with you though.

 

 

 

This video expands on them and really shows how bad they can be as far as "selling it" as an injury.

 

post #1154 of 1211

The more I think about this, I suspect the power to do something about diving might actually rest with America

 

It's no great secret that the US remains FIFA's great unclaimed conquest and they've been after it for decades (OK China must be on the horizon too). If the American public were able to collectively say and communicate something to the effect of 

 

"OK, we've had a look, but we don't like what we see because of all this cheating, keep your stupid game until you can sort it out" - that could be exactly the sort of thing FIFA would respond to, as FIFA are essentially driven by self-interest and self-regard, and in this case that means money

 

I said at the outset that there is still the residue of deep suspicion about the United States in football, as there is in a lot of sports, but if their involvement were able to help rid football of diving and other aspects of cheating (lets call it what it is, it's cheating) then at a stroke they'll have done more for the game than supposed 'great' footballing nations like Italy and Argentina

 

It's perhaps worth remembering that referees do have it within their power to sanction players for this kind of thing, but far too often they're meak and only do so in the case of blatant examples. I'm not so sure I'd prefer to see them err on the side of zero tolerence even if that means getting a few wrong for a period of 6 months, or publishing retropsective 'diving charts' that name and shame players, teams, and by association, managers

 

I'm trying to think of some of the worst I've seen and reckon Rivaldo's against Turkey in the 2002 world cup would probably take the biscuit, but he's Brazilian so got away with it

post #1155 of 1211
Should have been another card.

Within 8 minutes I have my opinion about this ref.
post #1156 of 1211
No interest not sure why!
post #1157 of 1211
I like it so far.
post #1158 of 1211
Well no interest from anyone not Dutch or Brazilian :)
post #1159 of 1211

Plenty of interest in North Korea though as the anticipation builds for the final against Portugal (who they did lose to in 1966, but critically scored 3 goals which might be archived somewhere)

 

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/12/north-korea-media-tells-country-that-its-team-has-reached-world-cup-final-4796033/

 

Now have I got an account with a North Korean bookmaker anywhere, as I think I know what the result is going to be

post #1160 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post

Plenty of interest in North Korea though as the anticipation builds for the final against Portugal (who they did lose to in 1966, but critically scored 3 goals which might be archived somewhere)

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/12/north-korea-media-tells-country-that-its-team-has-reached-world-cup-final-4796033/

Now have I got an account with a North Korean bookmaker anywhere, as I think I know what the result is going to be

Ummmm I'll talk NK against Portugal! What odds will you give me?
post #1161 of 1211

I suspect that when they come to look back on this, the Dutch might be left wondering if this wasn't a campaign that got away?

 

Behind against Spain they were forced into playing and excelled. A similar thing happened against Mexico, and again tonight with the pressure off and unburdened they've gubbed Brazil

 

Yet when they went cautious against the likes of Costa Rica, and more tellingly, Argentina, they struggled.

post #1162 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post

I suspect that when they come to look back on this, the Dutch might be left wondering if this wasn't a campaign that got away?

Behind against Spain they were forced into playing and excelled. A similar thing happened against Mexico, and again tonight with the pressure off and unburdened they've gubbed Brazil

Yet when they went cautious against the likes of Costa Rica, and more tellingly, Argentina, they struggled.

I'm sure they will be having nightmares about it alon with their fans... Eh.. Oh well, we have Germany vs Argentina to think about!

Speaking of which I watched a replay of the 1980 match.. Man that was a tough one to swallow for the East Germans! Up 1-0 in the first half all the way to the last 10 minutes where they give up two quick goals to the likes of Diego maridona..

The first goal was basically a header that one of the EG interfered with his own goalie, with the second being just a beautiful pass and shot on goal by the Argentinians!

I have a feeling that muller hasn't forgotten about what happened, and shumaker with his funky hat in goal (who was undefeated up to that point since he took over in goal, along with his coach who was also undefeated) will Also not forget! These machines are programmed to remember these things to avoid repeating it, besides.. Messi is no maridona I can tell you that much!
post #1163 of 1211

One thing that I always HATED ABOUT THIS WORLD CUP, was bad referees especially in penalty kicks.

 

This came to my mind after watching a goal compilation of top 10 goals in the world cup...

 

referees, please read the rules of football, law number 14.

 

many a penalty kick was not conducted according to rules of football

 

reason being, goalkeeper infringes the rules, by moving forwards off the goal line, before the attacking player has even come to the kicking distance (distance off the ball, meaning that the attacking player has taken a run towards the ball)

 

if goalie moves forward from goal line, infringing the law 14, whereby goal does not occur, then in that case the penalty kick will be retaken. If a goal occurs, despite goalkeeper infringement of the law 14, then in that case goal is allowed (assuming that only goalkeeper is infringing, not both the attacking player and defensive player)

post #1164 of 1211

One of the very worst examples of this I've ever seen came from America in a womens world cup final. Now admittedly the womens game has absolutely zero traction in Europe, so my own interest was peripheral at best, but for some reason I was watching this in New York and laughing at the ridiculous amount of cheating that the American goalkeeper was being allowed to get away with. In itself no reason to blame the keeper, she was only doing what 99% of others would do. She was trying it on, and seeing how far she could get. In fact she wasn't far off the 6yd line by the end. What did amuse me is the number of American 'fans' in the bar who clearly didn't know anything of the rules who were most indignant at my suggestion that they were cheating, and tried telling me that you were allowed to do this (they actually said it with such confidence that if you didn't know any better, you would think they knew what they were on about). This struck me as a bit unusual too. Now I come from a footballing country where it's pretty well impossible to grow up and not be aware of basic things like this. Even your average ballet dancer would know about moving off your line ahead of a penalty kick. They didn't, but they weren't the least bit retisent. It never occurred to them that I might actually be right? Then again, perhaps they weren't aware that America isn't above cheating either

 

I do remember that in the next 2-3 days there was a minor media outbreak that investigated the behaviour of the American team as it started to become obvious that they'd cheated. The goalkeeper herself admitted it and basically gave the line that she was doing what she could etc and that it was the referees fault (a bit like a burgular blaming the policeman for failing to catch him). The American lady who scored the winning goal (Brandy Chestain - for some reason I remember her name) also got slammed by the neo cons for removing her top in celebration and running round in a sports bra. This amused me too. Poor Brandy was bemused too, she sounded like a frustrated European wishing to express herself and being quite cool about the whole thing, but it seemingly proved too much for mainstream middle America, that one of their athletes might have tits. Finally I remember walking down 3rd avenue only to bump into their victory parade where low and behold, Donald Trump was involved for reason telling the world how much he fancied them all and what terrific legs they had.

 

Mind you, Trump's observation was no less unbecoming than that of the former President of 'The World Society of Friends of the Suspender Belt' (Sepp Blatter), an organisation which tried to stop women replacing suspender belts with pantyhose. Blatter also said about making the womens game more attractive that they should "wear tighter shorts and low cut shirts... to create a more female aesthetic" 

post #1165 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post

One of the very worst examples of this I've ever seen came from America in a womens world cup final. Now admittedly the womens game has absolutely zero traction in Europe, so my own interest was peripheral at best, but for some reason I was watching this in New York and laughing at the ridiculous amount of cheating that the American goalkeeper was being allowed to get away with. In itself no reason to blame the keeper, she was only doing what 99% of others would do. She was trying it on, and seeing how far she could get. In fact she wasn't far off the 6yd line by the end. What did amuse me is the number of American 'fans' in the bar who clearly didn't know anything of the rules who were most indignant at my suggestion that they were cheating, and tried telling me that you were allowed to do this (they actually said it with such confidence that if you didn't know any better, you would think they knew what they were on about). This struck me as a bit unusual too. Now I come from a footballing country where it's pretty well impossible to grow up and not be aware of basic things like this. Even your average ballet dancer would know about moving off your line ahead of a penalty kick. They didn't, but they weren't the least bit retisent. It never occurred to them that I might actually be right? Then again, perhaps they weren't aware that America isn't above cheating either

I do remember that in the next 2-3 days there was a minor media outbreak that investigated the behaviour of the American team as it started to become obvious that they'd cheated. The goalkeeper herself admitted it and basically gave the line that she was doing what she could etc and that it was the referees fault (a bit like a burgular blaming the policeman for failing to catch him). The American lady who scored the winning goal (Brandy Chestain - for some reason I remember her name) also got slammed by the neo cons for removing her top in celebration and running round in a sports bra. This amused me too. Poor Brandy was bemused too, she sounded like a frustrated European wishing to express herself and being quite cool about the whole thing, but it seemingly proved too much for mainstream middle America, that one of their athletes might have tits. Finally I remember walking down 3rd avenue only to bump into their victory parade where low and behold, Donald Trump was involved for reason telling the world how much he fancied them all and what terrific legs they had.

Mind you, Trump's observation was no less unbecoming than that of the former President of 'The World Society of Friends of the Suspender Belt' (Sepp Blatter), an organisation which tried to stop women replacing suspender belts
 with pantyhose
. Blatter also said about making the womens game more attractive that they should "wear tighter shorts and low cut shirts... to create a more female aesthetic" 

Loved this post! Come on though, did you expect something different in an NY bar? I bet half of them get American football rules wrong, never mind goalie coming off their line (that could have been the first soccer game they have ever seen and became know it all in a bout 45 minuts)
post #1166 of 1211

I've recanted the story a few times since, and the general consensus has always been that it's a New York thing, and that every other American would have been a little bit more circumspect 

 

It's a bit like me telling them that grabbing hold of a face mask at the line of scrimmage is perfectly legal and then being astounded when being told otherwise. If an American told me otherwise I think I'd have enough common sense to weigh up the balance of probabilities about who was most liekly to be correct re the face mask call

post #1167 of 1211
Khedira and his replacement out. He was seeing stars on way out.
post #1168 of 1211
Ouch! Yellow and a half.
post #1169 of 1211
Is it me or are the Argentinians looking tired at the end there??
post #1170 of 1211

Yeah ze Germans finished the half strong; two great corners at the end there

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread