or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 FIFA World Cup Thread - Page 28

post #487 of 1211
Can Mexico get through with two 0-0 draws and one 1-0 victory? Announcers have said no team has ever advanced by scoring just once in group play. 25 minutes left and they just need to hold on. On the other hand, if Croatia scores, Croatia moves on and Mexico goes home. Could be great finish.
post #488 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallT View Post

Can Mexico get through with two 0-0 draws and one 1-0 victory? Announcers have said no team has ever advanced by scoring just once in group play. 25 minutes left and they just need to hold on. On the other hand, if Croatia scores, Croatia moves on and Mexico goes home. Could be great finish.

LOL, and they just score two goals in a row.  :-D

post #489 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallT View Post

Can Mexico get through with two 0-0 draws and one 1-0 victory? Announcers have said no team has ever advanced by scoring just once in group play. 25 minutes left and they just need to hold on. On the other hand, if Croatia scores, Croatia moves on and Mexico goes home. Could be great finish.
Never mind! Mexico rattled off 2 goals. Croatia needs to score 3 in the remaining 15 minutes now. Considering they've only threatened a couple times all match, looks like it's Brazil & Mexico moving on from Group A.
post #490 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

LOL, and they just score two goals in a row.  a3_biggrin.gif
Lol yes! Curse of the live posting.
post #491 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallT View Post


Lol yes! Curse of the live posting.

That stuff is for real man! ;-)

post #492 of 1211
Curse you Mexico!
post #493 of 1211
Good game, if you're a Mexico fan.
post #494 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyjones View Post

Good game, if you're a Mexico fan.
Damn Mexico scoring like crazy. Keep scoring like this and they can win the group over Brazil?!??! Possible?
post #495 of 1211

Wow, where has this Mexico team been for the last couple years?

post #496 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallT View Post

Damn Mexico scoring like crazy. Keep scoring like this and they can win the group over Brazil?!??! Possible?
Curse of the live posting!! I thoroughly am looking forward to a 3-1 Netherlands over Mexico Win
post #497 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

Curse of the live posting!! I thoroughly am looking forward to a 3-1 Netherlands over Mexico Win
Netherlands - Brazil would not have been a good opening match in the bracket! For a moment, Mexico and Brazil had the same 4 goal differential, but Brazil scored late and Mexico gave up their first of the tourney. Woulda coulda shoulda, but that might've gone Mexico's way in a fluke ending.
post #498 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

Good stuff. He probably should have been subbed out. 

Bradley? Disagree. They knew Besler and Dempsey were injury risks, and Jermaine Jones was gimpy in the second half as well. No way they were taking Bradley out.
I don't want to question klinsmann because he knows way more than I do about this game, but in retrospect I probably would have left Dempsey in. Everyone was tired at the end, but Bradley in particular looked exhausted.
post #499 of 1211

Random note:

 

I am loving the coverage being provided by ESPN for this World Cup.  I remember as a kid (80's/90's) watching the World Cup with my dad on Univision (we are NOT bilingual) because the nutball American stations cut away during the action for commercial breaks.  (Univision announcers, even if they aren't named Andres Cantor, are still exciting as hell to listen to, though)

 

And even in the last couple of decades, as the coverage improved somewhat, it still seemed to be lacking, but now I think they are spot on.  The announcers have all been great, and my favorite show is the "ESPN FC" show each night.  They show extended highlights of each game with original audio so you can basically watch all of the games you missed while at work and feel like you didn't miss anything important.

post #500 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Random note:

I am loving the coverage being provided by ESPN for this World Cup.  I remember as a kid (80's/90's) watching the World Cup with my dad on Univision (we are NOT bilingual) because the nutball American stations cut away during the action for commercial breaks.  (Univision announcers, even if they aren't named Andres Cantor, are still exciting as hell to listen to, though)

And even in the last couple of decades, as the coverage improved somewhat, it still seemed to be lacking, but now I think they are spot on.  The announcers have all been great, and my favorite show is the "ESPN FC" show each night.  They show extended highlights of each game with original audio so you can basically watch all of the games you missed while at work and feel like you didn't miss anything important.
Yeah I absolutely love "World Cup Tonight" I also like ESPNFC, great if you missed a part of the game instead of just a brief highlight, along with announcer commentary which is great.
post #501 of 1211

Interesting - just read that if the US advances out of its group and wins its first elimination game, they'll play on the 4th. How cool would that be?

 

Also they played on the 4th in the 1994 WC, in California. I'm guessing soccer is more popular now. Probably not by much, especially compared to the big three, but still.

post #502 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Interesting - just read that if the US advances out of its group and wins its first elimination game, they'll play on the 4th. How cool would that be?

Also they played on the 4th in the 1994 WC, in California. I'm guessing soccer is more popular now. Probably not by much, especially compared to the big three, but still.
Soccer is wayyyy more popular than '94
post #503 of 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

Soccer is wayyyy more popular than '94

If you're correct I'm glad I'm wrong.

I love how that Italian player at the end closes his eyes while he sings the anthem.
post #504 of 1211
These games both suck. Luis Suarez is a goddamned Vampire.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread