or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Swing Thoughts › Get Off the Darn Range and Go Play Golf
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Get Off the Darn Range and Go Play Golf - Page 3

post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post

This is so me, I definetly fall into the range rat category and I fear its worse now that I've started taking lessons. Last year I looked forward to both the time on the range and playing but so far this year ALL I can think about is getting back to the range to work on my "new" swing. Hopefully that will change once the weather gets decent around here and I actually get out for my first round (darn you mother nature!!!).

 

I worry that this could be me too, but with the weather, I don't really know yet. I think our spring starts this Thursday here in VA. Last year I played about 20 rounds, and when given the choice, I chose playing over hitting balls at the range. In hindsight, I wasted the year, because I didn't improve as much as I thought I should. This year, I started evolvr and I am excited to get out to the range to see if the changes I'm trying to make will actually work. My daughter recorded my first and only range session this year, and I learned that I've got a ways to go to make even simple improvements with my swing. It'll be interesting to see how I play on the course, when I'm still in the middle of fixing poor posture problems, for example. I'm wondering if I'll have 3 swings:

1) indoor (absolute perfection in front of mirror in slow motion, with all the latest tips from evolvr incorporated),

2) range (improved, but initally awkward as I get full swings with a real ball in front of me), and

3) course (where I inadvertently revert back to my old swing, because I forget all I'm working on!)

 

If swing #3 ends up being one that discourages me, will I fall back to mostly range work? Time will tell.

post #38 of 70
Quote:
 ~~ Not bad, hit it well, miss gauged some short yardages, putting is rusty, shot 75. Going to start trying to playing every Sunday, get ready for a scotch play tournament with my Dad in mid May. Really cool tournament, been on the wait list for a few years. This whole lack of playing thing has really only been going on for a couple years. In college I would play 5-6 days a week, then I got a job and got married but still played 2 days a week until a few years ago. I put a lot of time in on this site, teach a little, do some property management and do stuff with the kids so there isn't that much free time left for full rounds. I still get out and practice in the late afternoons so I'm not whinning ;-)

Good playing! :beer:

post #39 of 70

I would love to go play, but the courses don't open until the 29'th after having been closed since November. I've been hitting the dome or the heated/covered range to keep a little bit of groove in my swing. Knocking off rust in spring SUCKS!

post #40 of 70

I do a little of both. I wish the range 1 mile down my street did not suck as bad as it does.The range does not really cut their grass which is horrible for their "irons range". On the irons range I can drop a ball and just see the top of it most of the time, which is good for me, I mean im usually in deep rough anyway.So its either go hit 50 golf balls for $15 or drive 10 more miles and play a round for $15 on a par 3 course. I usually choose to go play. I keep my Range/Round ratio at about 1:3 and work on my swing in my yard with no ball or Almost Golfballs.

post #41 of 70

My uncle plays about once a week but practices every day, and he's a 2 handicap. He doesn't make any big mistakes on the course. Hits his drives about 250 max but straight down the middle every time. If he misses the green, he'll get up and down. Never makes worst than a bogey. I don't know how he does it.  

post #42 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post
 

I don't know how he does it.  

 

The practicing everyday might have something to do with it ;-) 

post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

The practicing everyday might have something to do with it a2_wink.gif  
Not according to this thread. b2_tongue.gif
post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

My uncle plays about once a week but practices every day, and he's a 2 handicap. He doesn't make any big mistakes on the course. Hits his drives about 250 max but straight down the middle every time. If he misses the green, he'll get up and down. Never makes worst than a bogey. I don't know how he does it.  

This is a great model for my game.
What and how does he practice?
post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

This is a great model for my game.
What and how does he practice?
He is really technical; he tries all sorts of techniques and gimmicks. He takes his practice really seriously on the range; every shot he takes follows the same routine as his shots on the golf course. In the winter, he practices chipping and putting in his basement every day.
post #46 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

Not according to this thread. b2_tongue.gif

 

Why? Perhaps if he played more he'd be a +2. :D

 

Plus, there's practice and then there's "he tries all sorts of techniques and gimmicks". That doesn't sound like the kind of practice I'm talking about.

post #47 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post


Not according to this thread. b2_tongue.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

 

Plus, there's practice and then there's "he tries all sorts of techniques and gimmicks". That doesn't sound like the kind of practice I'm talking about.

 

Yes I was assuming he practices well and it keeps his game sharp.

 

This thread is dealing more with range rats who can get too caught up in how their swings looks, rather than making the swing functional so they can go play good golf.

post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

 

Yes I was assuming he practices well and it keeps his game sharp.

 

This thread is dealing more with range rats who can get too caught up in how their swings looks, rather than making the swing functional so they can go play good golf.


I'm interpreting this as a desire to get more "keys" on the range by practicing the drills I was assigned by my instructor ;-)

post #49 of 70
Played today, first time since posting the "my swing" thread. So many good swings, good hits, that weren't good shots. Either I was lined up wrong or was just pushing a few (and deluding myself on the range that I wasn't, if that's the case). Playing tomorrow also.

Edit The point of posting this in this thread was to indicate that I see what you mean about the differences. It's also given me some things to think about on the range -- picking targets once the swing is in place.
post #50 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

This thread is dealing more with range rats who can get too caught up in how their swings looks, rather than making the swing functional so they can go play good golf.
To be fair, some of us don't have a lot of disposable income and time to play a lot of golf.

Working on my swing is something that's free, doesn't require large blocks of time to do, and quite frankly is a better alternative than giving up the game altogether.

That said, I do feel I need to play more for my game to progress. I'm going to make an effort to play nine hole rounds at the executive course by my house after work to get more rounds in. It's cheap enough that I won't feel like I'm throwing money away by paying for eighteen holes and only playing nine. I really wish courses would offer nine hole rates.
post #51 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

To be fair, some of us don't have a lot of disposable income and time to play a lot of golf.

Working on my swing is something that's free, doesn't require large blocks of time to do, and quite frankly is a better alternative than giving up the game altogether.

That said, I do feel I need to play more for my game to progress. I'm going to make an effort to play nine hole rounds at the executive course by my house after work to get more rounds in. It's cheap enough that I won't feel like I'm throwing money away by paying for eighteen holes and only playing nine. I really wish courses would offer nine hole rates.

Hmmm. I assumed most courses did have 9 hole rates. All of the ones around here do and usually if I go off somewhere else to play I always intend on playing 18 (or more) so I never checked about 9 or noticed if they had that rate posted.

Learn something every day. a2_wink.gif
post #52 of 70
I agree with you OP.. IMO I rather pay the 10 -15 extra bucks and get out on the course.. its so much more fun and I agree it has helped me a lot more than the range. At first when I was searching for my swing I was at the range but now I try to get out on the course as much as I can.
post #53 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post


To be fair, some of us don't have a lot of disposable income and time to play a lot of golf.
 

 

Yeah I don't think @iacas is saying you have to play a lot of golf, just don't lose sight that working on your swing isn't playing the game of golf. And when I say you I'm not necessarily saying you Bill ;-)

post #54 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Hmmm. I assumed most courses did have 9 hole rates. All of the ones around here do and usually if I go off somewhere else to play I always intend on playing 18 (or more) so I never checked about 9 or noticed if they had that rate posted.

Learn something every day. a2_wink.gif
Yea, around here, I've only found 9 hole rates at actual 9 hole courses. Usually have to pay 18 even if you're playing 9, at least at the county courses. I haven't thought to ask other courses yet, maybe they do offer something, but it's not listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Yeah I don't think @iacas
 is saying you have to play a lot of golf, just don't lose sight that working on your swing isn't playing the game of golf. And when I say you I'm not necessarily saying you Bill a2_wink.gif
I get it, I just wanted to offer my perspective. I truly believe I will be better if I could play more, but I'm also happy that the work I've put in allows me to hit the ball well enough to make my rounds enjoyable, rather than frustrating.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Swing Thoughts
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Swing Thoughts › Get Off the Darn Range and Go Play Golf