or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (fletch88)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (fletch88)

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
Hi I am a new user and am having troubles with my full swing. My long irons tend to be low and flare to the right and my driver always flares to the right. I am very tight flexibility wise and thus I think I have early extension. Any ideas or tips would be very appreciated.
post #2 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch88 View Post

Hi I am a new user and am having troubles with my full swing. My long irons tend to be low and flare to the right and my driver always flares to the right. I am very tight flexibility wise and thus I think I have early extension. Any ideas or tips would be very appreciated.

http://youtu.be/CdiJOZggO9E
http://youtu.be/a6pvzri5Oac
http://youtu.be/o9vy5a7dEDc

First go here: 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/38240/my-swing-video-threads-rules-please-read

and here:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/73197/so-you-joined-tst-and-posted-a-member-swing-thread

to read up on how to properly fomat your "my swing" thread.

 

Pay particular attention to your camera angles and please embed your videos (use the little "film strip" icon in the editor). 

 

Early extension is not necessarily a bad thing, depends on what else is going on in your swing. 

 

When you say, "flares right", does the ball curve to the right or just start to the right and fly more or less straight but to the right?

 

Last question, is your index really 4.5? Us hacks (like me) can often help out fellow hacks get better because we have/know good information but if your game is already at a 4.5 I would probably wait to see if one of the "real" pros can help you.

post #3 of 45
Thread Starter 
It starts straight then flares to the right way right. I can't draw the ball.
post #4 of 45
Thread Starter 
Yes I am actually a 4.5 I go through really good times of being able to control the right and normally with my irons I am dead on but with my driver and long irons they occasionally flare really bad to the right. Also I spend a lot of time on short game so I can get up and down when I miss the green. I have been fighting this problem for years and have talked to pros just wanted to get an outside opinion. I am almost 90% positive it is early extension but want to find a way to better control my driver and long irons as I really struggle with those. While I try getting more flexible in the legs through polities.
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch88 View Post

Yes I am actually a 4.5 I go through really good times of being able to control the right and normally with my irons I am dead on but with my driver and long irons they occasionally flare really bad to the right. Also I spend a lot of time on short game so I can get up and down when I miss the green. I have been fighting this problem for years and have talked to pros just wanted to get an outside opinion. I am almost 90% positive it is early extension but want to find a way to better control my driver and long irons as I really struggle with those. While I try getting more flexible in the legs through polities.

How is you weight shift? Sounds like classic OTT which is less obvious on the shorter clubs.You should try to post (embed) some video, make sure you include some FO. In the meantime, I would take a look at the key#2 drills here:

 

5SK Video Thread
started on 08/14/12 last post 10/16/14 at 2:25am 285 replies 31545 views

Weight shift may not be your issue but it's a pretty good place to start. If you get your weight forward properly the path will tend to be more out to the right which will help with the fade/slice curves.

post #6 of 45
Thread Starter 
How do send a video over this forum if I recorded it on my camera role. I posted them to you tube. Sorry I am just new here.
post #7 of 45
Thread Starter 
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch88 View Post

How do send a video over this forum if I recorded it on my camera role. I posted them to you tube. Sorry I am just new here.

 

Click the video icon  and paste in the links you have.

 

In regards to your swing, I don't see you early extending at all. All good players early extend a bit, it's a power move.

 

 

 

I would recommend you check out this video. Turning the feet out will help you turn your hips more. It's not a flexibility issue, it's tough to turn when the right foot is square. Your arms don't gain enough depth because you don't turn the hips enough. It will also allow you to swing more outward and hit it higher rather than swinging down and across. 

 

 

post #9 of 45
Thread Starter 
I played today and I was having the divots going about 45 degrees left and the ball was flaring hard to the right I was really trying to concentrate on getting my left hip going back and shoulder going down and through but it would not work . Any thoughts
post #10 of 45
Thread Starter 
If my hips aren't on the line Doesn't that mean I am early extending. When I was researching early it talked about being trapped when on the downswing. Is my shoulder turn way behind making the face to open and make the ball flare to the right?
Thanks so much.
post #11 of 45
Thread Starter 
http://youtu.be/MHL8MKZHlfI
Where is the video icon.
Here is a video of my swing when I tried flaring the right foot.
post #12 of 45

Here is where to find the Film Icon

post #13 of 45
Thread Starter 
I am on my phone so I don't think there is an option.
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch88 View Post

I played today and I was having the divots going about 45 degrees left and the ball was flaring hard to the right I was really trying to concentrate on getting my left hip going back and shoulder going down and through but it would not work . Any thoughts

 

It just means there wasn't much of a change. Have to do it more and at slower speeds. This isn't something you just "feel" or "try" to see if it works.

 

Good thread for you to check out

 Change the Dang Picture! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch88 View Post

If my hips aren't on the line Doesn't that mean I am early extending. When I was researching early it talked about being trapped when on the downswing. Is my shoulder turn way behind making the face to open and make the ball flare to the right?
Thanks so much.

 

It's barely off the line, not an issue. Yes the face being too far right is causing it to start too far right. More of an issue with the things happening before it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch88 View Post

http://youtu.be/MHL8MKZHlfI
Where is the video icon.
Here is a video of my swing when I tried flaring the right foot.

 

Like I said earlier, need to do it more. Turn the hips more and keep them turning throughout the backswing.

 

Video icon is in your tool bar

 

 

Click  this one  

post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch88 View Post

I am on my phone so I don't think there is an option.

Little cumbersome but, you could switch to the desktop version of the site from your phone. It's at the bottom of every page. 

post #16 of 45

Or just type [video][/video] around your video URL.

 

Let's talk about the swing and not just posting video, eh?

 

And read this thread:

 

 So You Joined TST and Posted a Member Swing Thread… 

post #17 of 45
Thread Starter 
So flexibility is not a problem with my swing? Also besides moving my left foot to the right what else should I focus on? Thanks for all the help.
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch88 View Post

So flexibility is not a problem with my swing? Also besides moving my left foot to the right what else should I focus on? 

 

Usually golfers that claim they aren't flexible can easily increase their shoulder turns by flaring their feet out and understanding how the pivot works.

 

Not sure what you mean by "moving my left foot to the right". No one recommended you do this. Did you watch the video?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (fletch88)