or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tipping the Beer Cart girl
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tipping the Beer Cart girl - Page 11

post #181 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

I play almost all my golf at just two clubs and my rules of thumb for dealing with the staffs there are: Always be polite, remember people's names and tip well. Seems to work -- I generally get the coldest beers out of the back of the cooler and nobody has yet called me a douche to my face, which I appreciate.



That's the way the world turns!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane77624 View Post

Wow, my first post here and I'm going to jump off into the mud.  I am not a big fan of "tipping" anyone...regardless of their job.  When you take the job you know what you are going to be making.  If you are not satisified with the salary then don't take the job.  If people are making less than minimum wage and are willing to accept it then they just get less money.  If the employer cannot afford to pay a decent salary then they should raise the price on their items/services.

 

I will not buy from the cart girl/guy because of the inflated prices AND the expectation of a tip.  I think it is the tip portion that bothers me more than the inflated prices. 

 

Also, I'm not going to pay $75 or more to play a round of golf.  It is just not worth it.  I could take my wife and kids out for the night with that much money.  I'll draw the line at $50 and still feel that that is a bit on the steep side.

 

 

Get called "douche" to your face much? LOL.
 

 

post #182 of 378

Having just come out of a tip-based job in Jackson Hole (I was a bellman at a ritzy 5-star resort) definitely made me a better tipper, whether I'm at a golf club or restaurant. You have to remember that their salary is based around tips. Whether you like it or not America has a tipping custom and people come to expect it as part of their income. Plus Good tipping = good karma.

post #183 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckay View Post

Having just come out of a tip-based job in Jackson Hole (I was a bellman at a ritzy 5-star resort) definitely made me a better tipper, whether I'm at a golf club or restaurant. You have to remember that their salary is based around tips. Whether you like it or not America has a tipping custom and people come to expect it as part of their income. Plus Good tipping = good karma.



That's consistent with an earlier post I made. The people who are most in favour of tipping a lot tend to have (or have had) a direct connection to working for tips in the service industry. Those who've always worked for a salary and had to work OT for more money, tend to not be so certain higher tips is the way to go. The debate seems to be who is responsible for paying an employee's salary: the employer or the person already paying what they feel is a fair price for the service.

 

PS. Someone bringing an ice cold beer right to me on the course deserves a tip. That one's a no-brainer, but in spite of what earlier posters say, I doubt any local cart persons would call a customer a name (to their face or otherwise) because they didn't tip. They probably wouldn't judge as buying a beer mid-round is often an impulse purchase and not everyone has tipping in their budget. Sad but true these days.

 

post #184 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post



 

 

PS. Someone bringing an ice cold beer right to me on the course deserves a tip. That one's a no-brainer, but in spite of what earlier posters say, I doubt any local cart persons would call a customer a name (to their face or otherwise) because they didn't tip. They probably wouldn't judge as buying a beer mid-round is often an impulse purchase and not everyone has tipping in their budget. Sad but true these days.

 

Oh I agree, I highly doubt anyone would actually be called names to their face. That would be 1) rude 2) unprofessional 3) grounds for dismissal.

 

However, having been around the service industry, and knowing a lot of people who work in it (I married my favorite bar tender!) I can pretty much guarantee that if you're a crappy or non- tipper you have, at the very least, earned yourself a nickname amonst the staff. People with that attitude towards tipping should not be surprised if the cart girl, waitress, barmaid etc... seem to have a difficult time seeing you over in that fairway trying to wave them over so you can get your nice frosty beer. Gee, the sun must be in her eyes.

 

It's one of those things in life, no one is going to tell you that you HAVE to do it, but you'll probably find that your world turns a little smoother if you do.

 


 

 

post #185 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post



That's the way the world turns!

Get called "douche" to your face much? LOL.
 

 


hahahahahaha

 

post #186 of 378

Most of rounds I play are first or second tee time and if the course has cart girls, they're not there yet. I do tip the woman behind the counter in the clubhouse $0.50 for my coffee (which also costs $0.50). Tipping bartenders, and I guess cart girls, is a weird subject for me. I don't tip the person at the gas station when I buy lottery tickets, I don't tip the lady at the post office when she has to bring out a package that was too big for my PO box, why should I tip $1.00 for a beer that already costs 4x what it would normally. Because it's a beverage, a tip is implied? When I do go to bars (which is rare) I do tip, but not every drink and not because I think they deserve it. Nothing against bartenders, but I would have no problem using a beer vending machine.

 

Tipping at a restaurant is completely different story. The server really earns a tip with their service and attention to the customer. I always tip 20% when the service is good and have tipped more.

 

Finally, I always bring my own water to the course and if I'm drinking, my own beer. I'm not paying $20 for a sixpack of budwiser or $2.50 for a damn water that cost $5.00 a case. I understand marking up a product for convenience, but 300% to 400% markup is madness.

post #187 of 378

i tip a lot.  just because i think its polite and i know that an extra $1 or $2 to me has  HUGE impact on the person that receives it from me.   as a result, most people at the course know me, chat me up, and treat me very well.   and i don't feel its because they "get something" out of me for it, its because i've shown that i'm a nice, respectful person.  

 

..just my 2 cents..

post #188 of 378

At my main course, the cart girls rotate.  There are 3 main ones, plus some fill-ins that work only sometimes.  The main ones rotate from the bar inside to the cart on some unknown (to me) schedule.  Anyway, all of them are pretty attractive and the bar is always packed with guys who appear to be tipping heavily.  I overheard this older guy tipping the redhead (whom I think is the most attractive) $30 on a $60 post-round meal/drinks order.  I know this because as I was standing there to pay for my bottled water, she handed him the bill and mentioned the amount, and he said "and here's $30 for you."  She didn't seemed to shocked, but said thank you graciously.  I was more shocked than she was, but I'm guessing that isn't too uncommon for them.

 

I know it's not the same as tipping a "cart girl" because this cart girl happened to be working at the bar this particular time, but I just thought I'd share.  

 

Brandon

post #189 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony View Post

Most of rounds I play are first or second tee time and if the course has cart girls, they're not there yet. I do tip the woman behind the counter in the clubhouse $0.50 for my coffee (which also costs $0.50). Tipping bartenders, and I guess cart girls, is a weird subject for me. I don't tip the person at the gas station when I buy lottery tickets, I don't tip the lady at the post office when she has to bring out a package that was too big for my PO box, why should I tip $1.00 for a beer that already costs 4x what it would normally. Because it's a beverage, a tip is implied? When I do go to bars (which is rare) I do tip, but not every drink and not because I think they deserve it. Nothing against bartenders, but I would have no problem using a beer vending machine.

 

Tipping at a restaurant is completely different story. The server really earns a tip with their service and attention to the customer. I always tip 20% when the service is good and have tipped more.

 

Finally, I always bring my own water to the course and if I'm drinking, my own beer. I'm not paying $20 for a sixpack of budwiser or $2.50 for a damn water that cost $5.00 a case. I understand marking up a product for convenience, but 300% to 400% markup is madness.

 

There is a big difference between tipping bartenders/cart girls and tipping someone that works at a gas station or post office - one gets at least minimum wage and the other generally works for a servers salary and relies on tips.

 

But I guess it doesnt surprise me that you have an issue tipping those that live off of tips when sneaking beer onto most courses is against policy (whether it's against local laws or not covered by their liability insurance for their beer/wine/liquor license.) Even most concerts and sporting events will not even allow you to bring your own water in, but I've never seen a golf course say anything about that.


 

 

post #190 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony View Post

Tipping at a restaurant is completely different story. The server really earns a tip with their service and attention to the customer. I always tip 20% when the service is good and have tipped more.

 



It may be different, but I wouldn't say it's "completely" different.  Prudent Cart Girls do tend to pay attention to their customers.  Of course the job doesn't lend itself to as much detail, but the good ones come by every few minutes asking if you need anything, and I've seen a few go restock a specific item for one of my playing partners.

 

Brandon

post #191 of 378

You must tip the beer cart girl, you are right, and if I may suggest, to give your friend a hint. Next time make sure you buy the water, and let him see how you tip her. I'm sure your friend is not a jerk, he just had a brain fart. But seeing you tip and tip well will hit him in the nads and wake him up.

post #192 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane77624 View Post

Wow, my first post here and I'm going to jump off into the mud.  I am not a big fan of "tipping" anyone...regardless of their job.  When you take the job you know what you are going to be making.  If you are not satisified with the salary then don't take the job.  If people are making less than minimum wage and are willing to accept it then they just get less money.  If the employer cannot afford to pay a decent salary then they should raise the price on their items/services.

 

I will not buy from the cart girl/guy because of the inflated prices AND the expectation of a tip.  I think it is the tip portion that bothers me more than the inflated prices. 

 

Also, I'm not going to pay $75 or more to play a round of golf.  It is just not worth it.  I could take my wife and kids out for the night with that much money.  I'll draw the line at $50 and still feel that that is a bit on the steep side.

 

 


You live in a fantasy world.  Most of those in such positions don't take the job because "When you take the job you know what you are going to be making."  They take the job for a variety of reason, but the expectation of the employer is that they will be making double or more than their wage in tips.  Thus the employer pays them very little.  Since such jobs are almost exclusively part time, minimum wage doesn't factor in either.  You say that you won't pay the inflated prices for the goods, then in the same breath you say that they should raise prices so that they can pay a higher wage.  Make up your mind.

 

 

I'm thinking that you are basically just a cheap jerk.

 

post #193 of 378


No he is cheap (doesn't buy the drink) but not a jerk (who would buy the drink but doesn't tip).  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post


You live in a fantasy world.  Most of those in such positions don't take the job because "When you take the job you know what you are going to be making."  They take the job for a variety of reason, but the expectation of the employer is that they will be making double or more than their wage in tips.  Thus the employer pays them very little.  Since such jobs are almost exclusively part time, minimum wage doesn't factor in either.  You say that you won't pay the inflated prices for the goods, then in the same breath you say that they should raise prices so that they can pay a higher wage.  Make up your mind.

 

 

I'm thinking that you are basically just a cheap jerk.

 



 

post #194 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post


You live in a fantasy world.  Most of those in such positions don't take the job because "When you take the job you know what you are going to be making."  They take the job for a variety of reason, but the expectation of the employer is that they will be making double or more than their wage in tips.  Thus the employer pays them very little.  Since such jobs are almost exclusively part time, minimum wage doesn't factor in either.  You say that you won't pay the inflated prices for the goods, then in the same breath you say that they should raise prices so that they can pay a higher wage.  Make up your mind.

 

 

I'm thinking that you are basically just a cheap jerk.

 


There is no conflict or contridiction in my statement.  The prices are inflated AND you are expected to tip...how about they make up their minds?  I wouldn't mind paying more, as long as it a reasonable, if I wasn't expected to tip.  Raise these folks salary and remove the expectation of tipping.  Cheap maybe...jerk?  I think you need to look in the mirror.
 

 

post #195 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane77624 View Post


There is no conflict or contridiction in my statement.  The prices are inflated AND you are expected to tip...how about they make up their minds?  I wouldn't mind paying more, as long as it a reasonable, if I wasn't expected to tip.  Raise these folks salary and remove the expectation of tipping.  Cheap maybe...jerk?  I think you need to look in the mirror.
 

 



no, he was right.. you're both.  cheap because you complain and a jerk because you're unapologietic about it.   visit france, where service-industry people are paid more but not tipped, and see how good the service you get is.  (actually, you probably wouldn't notice a difference since your attitude likely gets you the service you deserve).

post #196 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejimsmith View Post

visit france, where service-industry people are paid more but not tipped, and see how good the service you get is

 

Very true. I've lived in Spain pretty much all of my life and the service here SUCKS!! People working in the service industry are paid an OK salary. When I say OK, I mean enough to live on (probably just under double the minimum wage) so they put no effort into their service. Their philosophy is that everyone will get served eventually, just wait your turn. This is why I leave zero or very little tip here as the service doesn't improve regardless of whether you leave 0% or 100% tip.

 

 

post #197 of 378

Are Spanish women really really hot or was I just really really horny when I was backpacking around there in the early nineties. Possibly both, I guess.

post #198 of 378

Yes, they are. Although Spanish men claim the best looking women in the world are Argentinian. I was in Buenos Aires for a week once and I can honestly say it is a very tough one to call.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tipping the Beer Cart girl