or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tipping the Beer Cart girl
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tipping the Beer Cart girl - Page 14

post #235 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

You mean guys like you?  Who "tip them with a smile" but never fork over any cash?

Like I've stated in this thread already. I don't tip in any way shape or form..

 

because I always bring my own drinks/snacks. So the cart girl(s) and I have absolutely no relationship whatsoever. Just wanted to give this thread entertainment. I've had a relative that was a cart girl at one point in time, I've heard it all.

 

I was being 100% sarcastic in my above post. a1_smile.gif

post #236 of 378

I tip cart girls, waitresses, bartenders, etc as generously as I can to make up for the people who don't but that's just me.

post #237 of 378

Americans* who don't tip at least 15% for good service from those in service industries with well-established gratuity-based compensation systems** are scumbags. To me, people who pay less than 15% for a tip for decent service (I'll sometimes tip a  server 25-30% if he/she gave service so good it made the meal better) are essentially committing a theft of the service, no different than if they tossed a $20 bill on the counter of a local liquor store and walked out with a $23 bottle of wine. 

 

Bad service deserves commensurate tips.  A couple of times I've had a server completely screw up a meal without trying to make things right, cop an attitude with me about inexusable delays or bad food, and they ended up with no tip or maybe a quarter.  People who depend on tips but can't understand the need to give good service are imbeciles.  Some friends of mine and I have been regulars for several years at a bar and I used to tip one of the bartenders there 30-50% even though she had kind of an attitude and gave short pours on draft beers.  After we found out that for years she deliberately failed to tell us about a frequent customer program they had (at a cost of many free beers and meals that we missed), she discovered that I showed my gratitude for that and her short pours by leaving $3.75 instead of $5 for a $3.50 beer.

 

*  Most other parts of the world pay their waitstaff and other service employees something closer to a living wage so they are less dependent upon tips and customarily receive less than the 15-20% tip that is standard in America.  This post thus discusses tipping in the U.S., not elsewhere. 

 

**  However, I really get annoyed at the attempts over the past 15 years or so to expand the gratuity-based service provider pool into jobs outside of the traditional fields (servers, bartenders, barbers/stylists, bell hops, cab drivers, caddies, etc...).  I had a snotty kid at a sub shop once clear his throat and very obviously nod over toward a jar that had a sign on it that said "Tipping is not a city in China."  I was amazed by the gall this kid showed, so I said to him "I'll give you a $500 tip if you can tell me how you do anything differently than any other fast food worker and you can look me in the eye and honestly tell me that you've ever tipped someone at McDonalds or Taco Bell."  He didn't say anything but judging by his glare, if my food wasn't already wrapped up, he would have spat on it for sure.  I seldom frequent Starbucks or any other coffee shop, in part because I don't happen to care for the attitudes of a lot of the people who work at such places that they are more sophisticated, special, superior, etc... compared to their customers.  Pal, you can call yourself a Barrista, the King of Siam, or anything else you want, but a) you're just somebody who does an unskilled job working in a coffee shop; and b) you don't deserve a penny of a tip for copping an arrogant attitude, taking my money, giving me change, and pushing a paper cup across the counter for me to fill myself. 

post #238 of 378
Being an avid beer drinker its always been the same $1 tip per drink, and a quick "top it off" To short pours...
post #239 of 378

You know, I always think that those girls do not know how much danger they are in with golfballs flying all around them. I know how dangerous this game can be having almost been hit a couple time, I'm sure we all can relate. Try spending your entire day out there! And they don't desire a buck or two?

post #240 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonsidious View Post

Like I've stated in this thread already. I don't tip in any way shape or form..

 

because I always bring my own drinks/snacks. So the cart girl(s) and I have absolutely no relationship whatsoever. Just wanted to give this thread entertainment. I've had a relative that was a cart girl at one point in time, I've heard it all.

 

I was being 100% sarcastic in my above post. a1_smile.gif


Then why did you even enter this thread?  Did you think anyone expected that people who don't buy anything from the cart girl would be tipping them?  Your contribution didn't bring any entertainment, it just revealed your own A-hattery.

post #241 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post


Then why did you even enter this thread?  Did you think anyone expected that people who don't buy anything from the cart girl would be tipping them?  Your contribution didn't bring any entertainment, it just revealed your own A-hattery.

Let it go man.

post #242 of 378

I tip the cart girl what I tip most people people that wait on me; 20%. There are times when waiters/waitresses get more and there are times when they get less but they all start off at 20%. I've been there and I know they're dependant on those couple extra dollars.

 

I also tip at least 10% just picking up food at Subway, Pizza, etc.......

post #243 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

what I find funny is that people are so adament that you should tip that "innocent, sweet cart girl" because she's providing you a service but when it comes to something like what I do for a living(lawn maintainence) these same "money friendly" people try to cheat you out of every dollar they can.  Wheres my tip for doing an awesome job on your lawn that you're just too lazy to take care of yourself? 

Probably cuz in my area, Lawncare runs about $50 for a 30 minute job.. I'm sure the beer cart girls or waitresses aren't making that kind of coin..  just saying. 

post #244 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThominOH View Post

Probably cuz in my area, Lawncare runs about $50 for a 30 minute job.. I'm sure the beer cart girls or waitresses aren't making that kind of coin..  just saying. 

 

lol................agreed.

 

The comment "Wheres my tip for doing an awesome job on your lawn that you're just too lazy to take care of yourself?" is kind of judgemental. So the people paying his grass cutting salary are too lazy to cut it themselves, huh? Perhaps they're educated enough to earn enough money that they can afford to pay someone else to do it. Another judgemental way to look at it would be that someone cutting grass for a living was too lazy to educate themselves better growing up. We all know that's not the case in these tough times (people do what they can to provide for their families) same as people who get their lawns cut either doesn't have the time or physically can't do it.

 

I don't tip contractors doing work for me on my property. I will however provide them a cold soft drink or water but a tip? NFW........

post #245 of 378

People are funny.

 

You need to tip like I do and for all the reasons I do . . . or you're a scumbag!!!

post #246 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post

 

lol................agreed.

 

The comment "Wheres my tip for doing an awesome job on your lawn that you're just too lazy to take care of yourself?" is kind of judgemental. So the people paying his grass cutting salary are too lazy to cut it themselves, huh? Perhaps they're educated enough to earn enough money that they can afford to pay someone else to do it. Another judgemental way to look at it would be that someone cutting grass for a living was too lazy to educate themselves better growing up. We all know that's not the case in these tough times (people do what they can to provide for their families) same as people who get their lawns cut either doesn't have the time or physically can't do it.

 

I don't tip contractors doing work for me on my property. I will however provide them a cold soft drink or water but a tip? NFW........

 the comment about tipping me for cutting your lawn was sarcasm based on my point that when it comes to someone doing actual manual labor, these same "generous tippers" try to cheat you out of money because you aren't a "pretty college girl".  Yet again, though...another person basically calling me "stupid" for "cutting grass".  Assuming I have no education is why I said you are the kind of people I don't want to do work for. 

post #247 of 378

buck a drink.  That is more than fair I believe

post #248 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

 the comment about tipping me for cutting your lawn was sarcasm based on my point that when it comes to someone doing actual manual labor, these same "generous tippers" try to cheat you out of money because you aren't a "pretty college girl".  Yet again, though...another person basically calling me "stupid" for "cutting grass".  Assuming I have no education is why I said you are the kind of people I don't want to do work for. 

 

Here's what I wrote:

"Another judgemental way to look at it would be that someone cutting grass for a living was too lazy to educate themselves better growing up. We all know that's not the case in these tough times (people do what they can to provide for their families) same as people who get their lawns cut either doesn't have the time or physically can't do it."

 

I was not calling you stupid but just offering a counterview to your quote about people paying to get their grass cut. To assume they're lazy is judgemental. That's not the way you intended it to come out but that's the way you wrote it.

 

Cutting grass, delivering pizzas, stockbroker, fireman, etc.....are all very noble when you're providing for your family. It's the stupid ones sitting on their asses not working while their families do without. I've got enough electronic/electrical experience to warrant a engineering degree but when I got furloughed by an airline in 1994, I delivered pizzas, was a convenience store clerk, etc.....whatever it takes to feed my family.

 

I'd never call anyone working 'stupid', regardless of what they do for a living.

post #249 of 378

I'm one of those "lazy" people that pays others to cut my lawn and trim my hedges.   If it wasn't for us lazy people you'd be unemployed, so you're welcome. 

 

I don't tip the lawn care service staff because they are legally required to make at least minimum wage (wait staff and beer cart girls typically are paid below minimum wage because they are expected to supplement their income with tips). 

 

I also don't tip people that do work for me on a routine basis.  During the holidays I give the garbage men, mailwoman, and lawn care people a card with money, but not as a tip but a holiday gift to show my appreciation for their services. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

 the comment about tipping me for cutting your lawn was sarcasm based on my point that when it comes to someone doing actual manual labor, these same "generous tippers" try to cheat you out of money because you aren't a "pretty college girl".  Yet again, though...another person basically calling me "stupid" for "cutting grass".  Assuming I have no education is why I said you are the kind of people I don't want to do work for. 

post #250 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I'm one of those "lazy" people that pays others to cut my lawn and trim my hedges.   If it wasn't for us lazy people you'd be unemployed, so you're welcome. 

 

I don't tip the lawn care service staff because they are legally required to make at least minimum wage (wait staff and beer cart girls typically are paid below minimum wage because they are expected to supplement their income with tips). 

 

I also don't tip people that do work for me on a routine basis.  During the holidays I give the garbage men, mailwoman, and lawn care people a card with money, but not as a tip but a holiday gift to show my appreciation for their services. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

 the comment about tipping me for cutting your lawn was sarcasm based on my point that when it comes to someone doing actual manual labor, these same "generous tippers" try to cheat you out of money because you aren't a "pretty college girl".  Yet again, though...another person basically calling me "stupid" for "cutting grass".  Assuming I have no education is why I said you are the kind of people I don't want to do work for. 

 

Is the motivation behind your tipping an appreciation of their worth or out of a sense of duty to supplement the income of the service provider since the law allows their employer to pay them less in anticipation of your tippage?

 

If it's appreciation of their time and energy spent directly servicing you on the course, do you tip when they offer their wares, or only when actually making a purchase? Was their time worth less when you weren't thirsty?

 

If it's to make sure they're making enough money, do you take into account just the time they spent with you and your group, or do you factor in the time between the last group they serviced and when they'll come across the next group? This could matter on a slow day at the course. Do you ask how much they've been tipped already in the prevous hour in case it's already a substantial amount? If it's low, should you tip more?

post #251 of 378

I tip based on the quality of service I receive when I make a purchase regardless of if it's a guy or girl or if I'm in a restaurant or golf course.  i'm realistic enough to know that a pretty 18 - 20 something girl isn't interested in a guy that's over twice her age with a wife and kids so flirting or flattery doesn't get any extra $$$. 

 

I take into account the overall quality of service including attitude.  For decent service I tip 20% of the total for whatever I purchased.  If service was poor I tip less, if service was outstanding I may tip higher. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

Is the motivation behind your tipping an appreciation of their worth or out of a sense of duty to supplement the income of the service provider since the law allows their employer to pay them less in anticipation of your tippage?

 

If it's appreciation of their time and energy spent directly servicing you on the course, do you tip when they offer their wares, or only when actually making a purchase? Was their time worth less when you weren't thirsty?

 

If it's to make sure they're making enough money, do you take into account just the time they spent with you and your group, or do you factor in the time between the last group they serviced and when they'll come across the next group? This could matter on a slow day at the course. Do you ask how much they've been tipped already in the prevous hour in case it's already a substantial amount? If it's low, should you tip more?

post #252 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I'm one of those "lazy" people that pays others to cut my lawn and trim my hedges.   If it wasn't for us lazy people you'd be unemployed, so you're welcome. 

 

I don't tip the lawn care service staff because they are legally required to make at least minimum wage (wait staff and beer cart girls typically are paid below minimum wage because they are expected to supplement their income with tips). 

 

I also don't tip people that do work for me on a routine basis.  During the holidays I give the garbage men, mailwoman, and lawn care people a card with money, but not as a tip but a holiday gift to show my appreciation for their services. 

 

look, the "lazy" comment was made in a sort of jest because its just hilarious to hear people talk about how they must tip the cart GIRL well because she's offering a service and they are essentially paying inflated prices AND tipping way more than deserved but the same people(in general, not specific) try to haggle every dollar they can out of other people who provide them a service.  Even these days, with gas as high as it is, people think its ok to ask you to mow their 1 acre lawn for 15 bucks because "you're just cutting the grass".  They don't think about the gas it took to actually get to their house, the gas the mower/trimmer use, so on and so forth.  Thats all I was saying..it just irks me when people pity the poor college girl and then try to short change others because they aren't a 19 year old blonde with a nice body. 

 

there is no legal requirement for anyone in the green industry to make any sort of minimum wage.  Its up to the price as it was bid on between the employer(you) and the worker(me). Some crews are low-ballers who will do anything to make 10 bucks and others price accordingly to make a decent living.

 

Anyway, I'd enjoy working for you (and doing the extras for no cost) simply because you seem like you'd be the type to actually appreciate the work being done.

 

You can bet if the cart girl looked like she'd fell out of the ugly tree..guys wouldn't be so interested in tipping(no matter what will probably be said in this post when someone reads this)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tipping the Beer Cart girl