or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tipping the Beer Cart girl
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tipping the Beer Cart girl - Page 16

post #271 of 378

golf is suppose to be a gentleman's game. 

 

If you don't want anything say no thanks and move on.  If you do, tip the girl.  After all she is coming to you to provide any mid round snack or beverage service so you don't have stop your round to get it yourself.

post #272 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

 

Actually no it isn't since that post was not directed at any single poster. Who's point of view am I misrepresenting?

 

The irony here is your "rebuttal" is a straw man argument.

Not directed at any particular poster but at the topic as a whole, it's still a Straw Man argument. In this case there is no particular poster but rather a position that you are misrepresenting or substituting for something else.

 

The position (whether or not it is voiced by any single poster) of the opposition is that only a jerk-off would systematically refuse to tip for service rendered by someone working on a gratuity wage system. This is, of course, assuming that the service didn't suck.

 

You have misrepresented this position to be something else entirely.

 

Granted the rebuttal was also a Straw Man argument, although it wasn't really an argument, so maybe it was a Straw Man comment?

post #273 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

Actually no it isn't since that post was not directed at any single poster. Who's point of view am I misrepresenting?

The irony here is your "rebuttal" is a straw man argument.
Not directed at any particular poster but at the topic as a whole, it's still a Straw Man argument. In this case there is no particular poster but rather a position that you are misrepresenting or substituting for something else.

The position (whether or not it is voiced by any single poster) of the opposition is that only a jerk-off would systematically refuse to tip for service rendered by someone working on a gratuity wage system. This is, of course, assuming that the service didn't suck.

You have misrepresented this position to be something else entirely.

Granted the rebuttal was also a Straw Man argument, although it wasn't really an argument, so maybe it was a Straw Man comment?

Are you trying to win a contest or something? Why not just disagree with the premise of my post and then move on?!?
post #274 of 378

Service deserves a tip. 

and anyone who doesn't tip a gal for bringing you something to drink while your out on the course is a cheap sob.  besides, if a $2.35 bottle of water is breaking the bank for you then you shouldn't be playing golf to begin with because you clearly can't afford it.

 

end of argument.

post #275 of 378

Maybe she doesn't want 'just the tip'............

post #276 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

I don't give the cart girl a tip, I give her the whole thing!  Ba-da-bomp.

 

Of course you tip the cart girl, and tip her well. This thread is sillyd2_doh.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post

Maybe she doesn't want 'just the tip'............

 

Too late...

post #277 of 378

No worries, guys like you are put on ignore and we sail on... Enjoy your lonely life if you're lucky to make it to the course. Chances are, your wifey wants you out of the house anyway, only to be ignored once again from the beverage cart girl! ha!

post #278 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgolfcartgirl View Post

No worries, guys like you are put on ignore and we sail on... Enjoy your lonely life if you're lucky to make it to the course. Chances are, your wifey wants you out of the house anyway, only to be ignored once again from the beverage cart girl! ha!

Quoting who you are talking to is helpful.
post #279 of 378

Having worked in the service industry as a college student I often found that the more money some people had the cheaper they were towards folks who depend on tips.

 

Not one to ever forget from whence they came, I keep a collection of single bills in my bag for the sole purpose of always having a generous tip ready -be it the cart girl or the guy who loads my bag from car trunk to cart.

 

Good for you to be disturbed by that incident.....yes I would have chased her down to tip her -and have done that in similar circumstances myself.....shame on your "friend"...it speaks volumes about the kind of person he is ....let the wise take note. You can certainly learn a great deal about a persons character -or lack thereof- whilst playing a round of golf.

 

Cheers.

post #280 of 378

I am a beverage cart girl.  I work for a tipped wage...in Florida, that is $4.77 an hour...We get there at 7 am...before Tee time, stock and clean a cart, make sure we have everything ready for the day, and work in 100+ temps...ALLDAY.  Tipping on ANYTHING, even ice is usual...NOT tipping, or tipping .30$ is insulting and you will be lucky if I stop again.

post #281 of 378

Always tip

post #282 of 378

The only thing I ever get from the cart girl is ice, and I tip her $1 even though the ice is free.  The $1 has a much higher marginal value to her than its marginal cost to me.

 

I guess that makes my tipping percentage infinite.  LOL

post #283 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by margalskis420 View Post
 

I am a beverage cart girl.  I work for a tipped wage...in Florida, that is $4.77 an hour...We get there at 7 am...before Tee time, stock and clean a cart, make sure we have everything ready for the day, and work in 100+ temps...ALLDAY.  Tipping on ANYTHING, even ice is usual...NOT tipping, or tipping .30$ is insulting and you will be lucky if I stop again.

 

Is this a joke?  You drive a cart all day.

 

 

Anyway, I'm sure many people will say this is wrong, and I even agree to an extent, but I base my tip partly on the value of my purchase.  If the cart girl stops and asks if I want anything and I say sure give me a Coors Light and it comes out to 8 bucks... the tip is probably going be less than stellar to say the least.  I definitely don't make a habit of doing this though so if the prices are bad I just never buy anything and avoid the tipping dilemma altogether.

post #284 of 378

so Friday myself and my brother played 36, and anytime we got drinks from the cart girl we tipped...  idk how much my brother tipped, but i always tip 2 to 3$ cuz usually i get a gatoraid or water, and pay with a 5 and tell her to just keep it..  

post #285 of 378
I think its shitty they have bad prices on the cart. Like, $1.25 or $2.75, instead of whole dollar amounts. It would make the whole tipping situation more clear.Bars tend to charge whole dollar amounts which makes things easy.
post #286 of 378

I rarely buy anything from the cart girls, I just buy stuff before the round or at the turn. However the few times I've bought something I rarely get change back, even if I don't say keep the change because they don't carry anything. I buy a soda for 2.50 hand 3 and walk away. I'm not going to give an extra dollar or 2 for one soda. Besides that, I've watched the girl at the course get tipped over $10 just on one stop at our foursome and she doesn't even do a great job, isn't overly cute or have a nice body. I think most of the time these girls do VERY well, especially the ones that are so good looking you see people just stop and look whenever she's around. As for someone's comment about you shouldn't be golfing because you can't afford it if you think the prices of beverages are expensive, that's just an asinine thing to say.

post #287 of 378

where in the world do you people play golf that you have shoe shiners, club cleaners, caddies and vallets at your service when you play?!?!  LOL.  My home course is "That'll be $50 bucks, #1 is right over there, have fun".  I don't speak to anyone else from the time I walk out of the proshop after paying until I walk to my car, except who I'm playing with and the occasional interacting with other players on the course. 

 

Even the high end courses in my areas don't have bagroom attendants and I'll be god damned if I saw a beer cart girl out driving around unless it was a captain and crew tournament.  lol.  The staff is typically high school kids making minimum wage whose job is to drive the carts from the garage to the pro shop or gather them from where YOU are supposed to park them after your round.  And of course the occasional 80 year old ranger driving around waving hello and not stopping his cart when you're hitting.

post #288 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strandly View Post
 

 

Is this a joke?  You drive a cart all day.

 

 

Anyway, I'm sure many people will say this is wrong, and I even agree to an extent, but I base my tip partly on the value of my purchase.  If the cart girl stops and asks if I want anything and I say sure give me a Coors Light and it comes out to 8 bucks... the tip is probably going be less than stellar to say the least.  I definitely don't make a habit of doing this though so if the prices are bad I just never buy anything and avoid the tipping dilemma altogether.

 

I understand your position, but keep in mind you're penalizing the cart girl for the course's pricing strategy.  And I highly doubt any of that additional $2-4 for the beer is being kicked back to the service staff.  It's just going to the profit margin of the ownership.

 

Anyway, in those cases (ridiculous markups), I agree that it's better not to buy at all.  I generally don't have that problem as I buy cheaper stuff (snack bars, juices/waters) and I prefer to always tip a dollar or two no matter what I buy.  I'd rather not purchase anything than not tip.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tipping the Beer Cart girl