or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Masters Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Masters Discussion Thread - Page 2

post #19 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

I started to get the Masters fever about five minutes ago... It's starting to sink in that this event is less than two weeks away. :dance:

 

post #20 of 1528

I saw a Direct TV ad about joining so you can watch the Masters.  It got me thinking.  The Masters is the absolute best golf tournament to watch on regular TV because it has so few commercials.  Why would I bother with paying for Direct TV for it?

post #21 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

I saw a Direct TV ad about joining so you can watch the Masters.  It got me thinking.  The Masters is the absolute best golf tournament to watch on regular TV because it has so few commercials.  Why would I bother with paying for Direct TV for it?

Pretty sure DirecTV offers dedicated channels for the other feeds that are also on Masters.com/
post #22 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


Pretty sure DirecTV offers dedicated channels for the other feeds that are also on Masters.com/

Can't you just get those on the web though?

post #23 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Can't you just get those on the web though?

Yeah. I'm not saying DirecTV's logic is sound... a2_wink.gif

Lots of (cough **older** cough cough) people still don't like watching stuff on computers.
post #24 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


Yeah. I'm not saying DirecTV's logic is sound... a2_wink.gif

Lots of (cough **older** cough cough) people still don't like watching stuff on computers.

 

Yep, and I'm one of them..Lucky for me I have DTV, . can't wait for the masters to start.

post #25 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


Yeah. I'm not saying DirecTV's logic is sound... a2_wink.gif

Lots of (cough **older** cough cough) people still don't like watching stuff on computers.

And some of us don't have TV's with internet capability yet either.  If I had Directv and they had all of those web channels available, and the regular TV feed was off air, I'd prefer watching it on my TV instead of my laptop.

 

P.S.  I may have Directv sooner rather than later because I just noticed that my cable bill went up $23 two months ago for no apparent reason.

post #26 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

And some of us don't have TV's with internet capability yet either.  If I had Directv and they had all of those web channels available, and the regular TV feed was off air, I'd prefer watching it on my TV instead of my laptop.

 

One word. Chromecast.

 

Stick it in an hdmi port, set it up, pull up one of the feeds on your computer on Chrome and cast it to that flat panel. Rinse and repeat if you have multiple flat panels. 

 

It's only $35.

 

I love The Masters. I have 3-4 screens of all sizes going on at once. If I had four flat big panels, I'd set them up next to each other just for The Masters.

 

The first Chromecast was shipped after The 2013 Masters, so I can't tell you whether it can be done with 100% certainty, but I've casted The Golf Channel and many other video streaming sites from my parent's very budget (i3) laptop, no problemo, so I would think it should work for The Masters.

post #27 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

I started to get the Masters fever about five minutes ago... It's starting to sink in that this event is less than two weeks away. :dance:

 

 

Yea, I'm so pumped I could very well perform the landlord's dance recital from Big Lebowski, except to that Masters' Theme song . If you put this on mute and just play the song hehe:

 

 

Some might call it dumb or weird, but to me, it's a spiritual rain dance if you will to honor the golfing gods for what is sure to be a glorious four days. :-D

 

What can I say? I'm excited! 

 

Warning Edit: Swearing on that video clip. Not safe for work when John Goodman starts talking. Just a warning. Sorry about that. 

post #28 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

Love Masters week, hope Tiger plays. I think Adam Scott is going to successfully defend his title.

Hmmm, bold statement!!  I like how my pick in the contest has been playing all season:  Zach Johnson.

 

Haven't heard anything from Rory for awhile now ... hope he plays well too!!

post #29 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Hmmm, bold statement!!  I like how my pick in the contest has been playing all season:  Zach Johnson.

 

Haven't heard anything from Rory for awhile now ... hope he plays well too!!

If Zach stops pushing his critical putts he might have a chance

post #30 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

If Zach stops pushing his critical putts he might have a chance

Yeah, I did see him miss a couple of those "automatic" ones yesterday.  He better square that away ... I want a Cobra driver!!!:-P

post #31 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Hmmm, bold statement!!  I like how my pick in the contest has been playing all season:  Zach Johnson.

 

Haven't heard anything from Rory for awhile now ... hope he plays well too!!

If Zach stops pushing his critical putts he might have a chance

 

I missed the first wave to get in on the good Masters picks, so now I have to use the last-minute pick strategy :-(... Works well for the PGA because of the field, but not so good for the Masters... I may have to go with Mark O'Meara. 

 

@newtogolf Re: Haney saying Phelps was too flexible for his own good: Good point. Totally forgot he said that. Yea, that is kinda true. His backswing is long if I remember correctly. Sorry, I didn't respond on the other thread because I didn't want to keep going off-topic. 

post #32 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

 

I missed the first wave to get in on the good Masters picks, so now I have to use the last-minute pick strategy :-(... Works well for the PGA because of the field, but not so good for the Masters... I may have to go with Mark O'Meara.

I was curious, so I just had a peak at the picks.  If you were to go with Tiger, it looks like only -9 through -15 is taken.  That's not that unreasonable considering that the tournament has been won with a score of either worse than -9 or better than -15 six out of the last 14 years.

 

Almost half!!  Of course, that is assuming you think Tiger has a chance. ;)  Not sure who the most popular pick is this year, but now I'm curious. ;)

 

(Just glancing through without writing anything down, I think it's Jason Day, followed by Jason Dufner and Dustin Johnson)

 

EDIT:  Throwing out all of the duplicated scores, it's Rory (6 different picks), then Day and DJ with 5, and then Duf with 4.  Adam Scott is only blocked out at 3 numbers so far.

 

Lot's of options @JetFan1983 !!!

post #33 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

 

I missed the first wave to get in on the good Masters picks, so now I have to use the last-minute pick strategy :-(... Works well for the PGA because of the field, but not so good for the Masters... I may have to go with Mark O'Meara.

I was curious, so I just had a peak at the picks.  If you were to go with Tiger, it looks like only -9 through -15 is taken.  That's not that unreasonable considering that the tournament has been won with a score of either worse than -9 or better than -15 six out of the last 14 years.

 

Almost half!!  Of course, that is assuming you think Tiger has a chance. ;)  Not sure who the most popular pick is this year, but now I'm curious. ;)

 

(Just glancing through without writing anything down, I think it's Jason Day, followed by Jason Dufner and Dustin Johnson)

 

Haha, awesome. You really are the member of the year. 

 

Ummm, yea... Tiger's not looking so good at this point. You gotta figure without the Eisenhower Tree that the course may play a tad easier for the field... so that'd make an 8 under or less winning score less likely... also the weather looks like it's going to be gorgeous in Augusta next week. 

 

Right now, I think my best hope is that you guys forget about someone like Stricker, and I'll get him all to myself, regardless of winning score. And then maybe I can sneak my 2nd and 3rd picks as "full ownerships" as well, for lack of a better phrase. Hehe.

 

Let's hope my strategy isn't as pathetic as my March Madness one was :censored:!

 

But seriously, thanks for the help. If I do go Tiger, it'd be at 8 under. 

post #34 of 1528

Here is an album of Masters pictures to use as wallpapers on your computer.  

 

http://imgur.com/a/mChCF

 

 

 

Here is how to set up a folder to use as a background slideshow so you can save them all and they will change on their own:

 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/create-a-desktop-background-slide-show

post #35 of 1528

The Master's is my favorite tournament of the year, hands down.  Luckily, I will be making my first appearance.  A Monday practice round.  Forecast is 80% rain, but I'll be there regardless!  More than I can say for guys like Tiger, Phil, Day and Mahan.  I'm sure some form of these guys will show up, but they will most likely not be 100%.  I'm looking to Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott, Keegan, Harris English and Jordan Spieth to add the excitement this year.  Throw in good play by Rickie Fowler, Bubba and Kuchar and we have a tournament.  DJ and Spieth are leading the tour in putting right now.  They both have the length.  Getting it done on Sunday is another thing.  It's always exciting and the outcome recently has been unexpected.

 

Picking one is tough.  My favorites are Adam Scott and McIlroy.  I really enjoy watching them swing the club.  My dark horse favorite is Rickie Fowler.  I like the changes he's made to his swing.  His putting and short game are holding him back, IMO.

post #36 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

 

Haha, awesome. You really are the member of the year.

 

Ummm, yea... Tiger's not looking so good at this point. You gotta figure without the Eisenhower Tree that the course may play a tad easier for the field... so that'd make an 8 under or less winning score less likely... also the weather looks like it's going to be gorgeous in Augusta next week.

 

Right now, I think my best hope is that you guys forget about someone like Stricker, and I'll get him all to myself, regardless of winning score. And then maybe I can sneak my 2nd and 3rd picks as "full ownerships" as well, for lack of a better phrase. Hehe.

 

Let's hope my strategy isn't as pathetic as my March Madness one was :censored:!

 

But seriously, thanks for the help. If I do go Tiger, it'd be at 8 under.

Haha, you're welcome!  P.S.  Mark O'Meara is wide open at this point I think.  So are Larry Mize and Craig Stadler.:-P

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

So if you go look at the list of invitees, on the Masters website, it also explains the invitation criteria.  Several of them say a variation of this:  "US Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)"

 

What exactly does "Honorary, non-competing" mean?  Does that mean that they get a lifetime invitation to the tournament as a guest?  Cuz that's pretty dang cool if its true.  I couldn't think of what else it might mean?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Masters Discussion Thread