or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Masters Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Masters Discussion Thread - Page 11

post #181 of 1528

if you're not visiting Masters.com, you really ought to....big three at Amen Corner.....really great pictures if you view in HD mode.

 

http://www.masters.com/en_US/news/photos/gallery.html?promo=feature

post #182 of 1528

Serious question. Any news about how the course is playing.  Naturally the ice-storm in February made the news over here and that must have had some ramifications in terms of speed of fairways? The course looks lush (as ever) and it rained plenty on Monday.  So it's all relative - especially at Augusta, but is the course likely to be a snidge softer in the early going?

post #183 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBamford View Post
 

Serious question. Any news about how the course is playing.  Naturally the ice-storm in February made the news over here and that must have had some ramifications in terms of speed of fairways? The course looks lush (as ever) and it rained plenty on Monday.  So it's all relative - especially at Augusta, but is the course likely to be a snidge softer in the early going?

 

They were reporting pretty soft conditions yesterday.  Remainder of the week looks nice though so they're expecting it to firm up pretty quickly.

post #184 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBamford View Post
 

Serious question. Any news about how the course is playing.  Naturally the ice-storm in February made the news over here and that must have had some ramifications in terms of speed of fairways? The course looks lush (as ever) and it rained plenty on Monday.  So it's all relative - especially at Augusta, but is the course likely to be a snidge softer in the early going?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

They were reporting pretty soft conditions yesterday.  Remainder of the week looks nice though so they're expecting it to firm up pretty quickly.

 

I think the rain was ideal.

 

It had been pretty dry here for the previous two weeks; the course that I play at Fort Gordon was really dry and firm last week.  Additionally the pollen here was borderline insane--I would go out to my car in the afternoon and it looked like it was covered in yellow snow.  The rain knocked down and washed away all of the pollen and saturated the ground.  Because the ground was so dry, most of the water absorbed immediately, and the few puddles that managed to emerge were all gone within a few hours after the rain stopped.  By Thursday the ground will be firm again, but the grass will be much healthier than it was last weekend.

post #185 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Just watching "Live From" and they said that Ricky Fowler "blitzed" Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson in a competitive practice round today by recording 9 birdies and an eagle.  NINE BIRDIES AND AN EAGLE!!

 

I would love to see him win this week!!!

 

Apparently Phil lost a $1 bet with a Patron on an up-and-down.  That's the type of interaction you get on practice days and why I'd rather go on Tuesday than on Sunday.

 

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/4/8/5594724/phil-mickelson-bet-augusta-fan-2014-masters-gambling

 

Love the comment about mentoring younger players.  "Mentoring, wagering, any way you want to look at it....."   :-D

post #186 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBamford View Post
 

Serious question. Any news about how the course is playing.  Naturally the ice-storm in February made the news over here and that must have had some ramifications in terms of speed of fairways? The course looks lush (as ever) and it rained plenty on Monday.  So it's all relative - especially at Augusta, but is the course likely to be a snidge softer in the early going?

Since Augusta National has SubAir - they're able to control moisture pretty well on the greens. 

 

http://www.subairsystems.com/

post #187 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post
 

 

 

 

I think the rain was ideal.

 

It had been pretty dry here for the previous two weeks; the course that I play at Fort Gordon was really dry and firm last week.  Additionally the pollen here was borderline insane--I would go out to my car in the afternoon and it looked like it was covered in yellow snow.  The rain knocked down and washed away all of the pollen and saturated the ground.  Because the ground was so dry, most of the water absorbed immediately, and the few puddles that managed to emerge were all gone within a few hours after the rain stopped.  By Thursday the ground will be firm again, but the grass will be much healthier than it was last weekend.

 

Yeah, the pollen has been nuts down here.  I need a snow shovel to get rid of it.  A lot of people are going to really struggle with allergies out on the course.  Could affect some players too, I'd imagine.

post #188 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Just watching "Live From" and they said that Ricky Fowler "blitzed" Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson in a competitive practice round today by recording 9 birdies and an eagle.  NINE BIRDIES AND AN EAGLE!!

 

I would love to see him win this week!!!

I was just about to post about this. 

9 birdies and an eagle is absolutely incredible...even if it is just a practice round. Hope to see him play well too. 

post #189 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Yeah, the pollen has been nuts down here.  I need a snow shovel to get rid of it.
Ha, you wouldn't even know what a snow shovel looks like.
b2_tongue.gif
post #190 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Ha, you wouldn't even know what a snow shovel looks like.
b2_tongue.gif

 

I googled it......  :-D

post #191 of 1528
post #192 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post
 

Masters' Range Cam

 

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/masters/live

Also here.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/live/index.html

also you can go to that link I posted and watch the Par 3 contest at 12pm ET if you can't watch it on ESPN. 

post #193 of 1528

Augusta National has really set up  great practice area - very different than few years ago - that was a parking lot for badge holders.

post #194 of 1528

Really enjoyed Arnie's interview from yesterday.  I could listen to him talk about his playing days forever.  

 

http://www.masters.com/en_US/videos/interviews.html

post #195 of 1528

Every year, the folks at Augusta National are giving more and more coverage.  A decade or so ago, you'd barely see any of the front nine - CBS would join the telecast as the leaders were near the turn. I remember when they first showed the early holes and thought how special it was to see those holes on the telecast. And over the last several Masters, you're getting more and more internet streams - the coverage of the range today has been outstanding and very worthwhile.  Watching all these streams is the next best thing to being there - in fact, there is so much that you see, hear that the folks sitting at the range don't even hear/have access to.

post #196 of 1528

This only comes out for one week out of the year, but now it's official.....

 

:banana:

 

 

post #197 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post
 

Every year, the folks at Augusta National are giving more and more coverage.  A decade or so ago, you'd barely see any of the front nine - CBS would join the telecast as the leaders were near the turn. I remember when they first showed the early holes and thought how special it was to see those holes on the telecast. And over the last several Masters, you're getting more and more internet streams - the coverage of the range today has been outstanding and very worthwhile.  Watching all these streams is the next best thing to being there - in fact, there is so much that you see, hear that the folks sitting at the range don't even hear/have access to.

Yes. It really is awesome.  Watching all of the action on the range has been great.  

post #198 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

This only comes out for one week out of the year, but now it's official.....

 

:banana:

 

 

Dannnnnnng David, I'm more interested with what's going on around the flag!

MTV Cribs...Sand Trap Edition

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Masters Discussion Thread