or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Masters Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Masters Discussion Thread - Page 4

post #55 of 1528

It's Augusta National, and it's The Masters.  The cream will rise to the top as it usually does, and we'll have an exciting Sunday finish as always.  The fact Tiger will miss The Masters and others are fighting the injury bug stinks, but there are still A LOT of really good golfers teeing it up next week!  I'm picking Matt Kuchar to break through and win his first major.  He played pretty well this past weekend, and he has won some big events in recent years.  I think it's time for him to go to the next level and win a major.  Others I expect to play pretty well include Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott, and Jordan Spieth.  

post #56 of 1528

The game is bigger than TW.  Granted, his past record and television presence has done a lot for the game.  That said, no matter who wins this years Masters, there will be an aesterisk for 2014 - the year Tiger didn't play.  The media will focus more on his absence than the eventual winner.

post #57 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac View Post
 

The game is bigger than TW.  Granted, his past record and television presence has done a lot for the game.  That said, no matter who wins this years Masters, there will be an aesterisk for 2014 - the year Tiger didn't play.  The media will focus more on his absence than the eventual winner.

I'm not sure I agree with that anymore.  He hasn't won a major since 2008, so he isn't exactly setting the world on fire when it comes to majors.  The media will probably focus on his absence quite a bit, I agree with that part.  But any mention of an asterisk is just silly talk when it comes to Tiger now and moving forward.  The ratings probably won't be as high, but the field is still incredible.  There is a chance he may not even be number one after The Masters.

post #58 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Yeah, just saw that too ...

 

Still leaning towards it being an April Fools joke, but we'll see.

That would be the most epic April Fools prank ever.  I'd almost buy it, but it's a bit too close to reality to wish that on himself for the sake of a few laughs.

post #59 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac View Post
 

The game is bigger than TW.  Granted, his past record and television presence has done a lot for the game.  That said, no matter who wins this years Masters, there will be an aesterisk for 2014 - the year Tiger didn't play.  The media will focus more on his absence than the eventual winner.

No, no asterisk.  He's missed majors before and there are no asterisks on those.  I mean, he's lost 3 times as many majors as he's won.

 

The only major that I can think of that deserves a teeny, tiny asterisk is Roger Federer's first French Open in 2009, because he didn't have to beat Rafael Nadal to do it.

post #60 of 1528

 

I'll get over it in about an hour, but this is disappointing. Obviously I'll still watch every moment, but I'm a little sad inside. 

 

Let's hope at least that Phil suits up. Jeez, how weird would the Masters be without those two??

post #61 of 1528

And this all means that next year it will be 10 years since Tiger last won the Masters - I simply cannot believe that.

post #62 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

 

I'll get over it in about an hour, but this is disappointing. Obviously I'll still watch every moment, but I'm a little sad inside. 

 

Let's hope at least that Phil suits up. Jeez, how weird would the Masters be without those two??

 

It would be weird. I'd be curious to see how much the ratings drop without Tiger and Phil.

post #63 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
 

Anyone else a little nervous about the Masters? I am scared to death of a Matt Every-Chris Kirk Sunday final pairing with Steven Bodwitch and Jimmy Walker trying to chase them down. I do not like the way this year has started, particularly the fact guys are gagging down the stretch and winning with 76s on the last day.

 

The best part of the majors the last couple years is we've had nothing but star-studded leaderboards, and at Augusta, it's usually always a star-studded leaderboard. I'm worried that's about to end. Hopefully the cream comes to the top in 2 weeks.

Love this comment.  We are used to the TW order, but 2014 looks like it's the start of the JW order, especially after he wins for the 4th time this season in Houston this week.

post #64 of 1528

Any update on Jason Day injury anyone?

post #65 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKewTour View Post

Any update on Jason Day injury anyone?

The last I read is that he's pretty much doing short-game stuff only. That was a few days ago, so who knows if he's slowly working his way into doing more. Hopefully, he's ready to go because he's a legit contender to win at Augusta.
post #66 of 1528

If you were betting on the Masters, would you stay away from Jason Day at this point? I loved him as the favorite before this thumb injury, but now he has me scared.  

post #67 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKewTour View Post
 

Any update on Jason Day injury anyone?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13 View Post


The last I read is that he's pretty much doing short-game stuff only. That was a few days ago, so who knows if he's slowly working his way into doing more. Hopefully, he's ready to go because he's a legit contender to win at Augusta.

Sorry guys.  Since this is a "catch all" Masters thread, I didn't even read your posts before asking this question.  That's sometimes the problem with having a catch all thread.  I'm not reading 4 pages of random Masters comments to ask a question.  

post #68 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

If you were betting on the Masters, would you stay away from Jason Day at this point? I loved him as the favorite before this thumb injury, but now he has me scared.  

 

That's my reservation too. I would have said he was a favorite without thumb injury.

post #69 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

 

Sorry guys.  Since this is a "catch all" Masters thread, I didn't even read your posts before asking this question.  That's sometimes the problem with having a catch all thread.  I'm not reading 4 pages of random Masters comments to ask a question.  

I actually backed Day 2 weeks ago at nice 25/1.

 

Now I think im sweating a little.

 

I think he will play.

 

Question is is he 100% fit. If he is I have a good price. If he aint im screwed ha.

post #70 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKewTour View Post
 

I actually backed Day 2 weeks ago at nice 25/1.

 

Now I think im sweating a little.

 

I think he will play.

 

Question is is he 100% fit. If he is I have a good price. If he aint im screwed ha.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about him playing.  It sounds like that's happening, but I'm worried about HOW he plays.  Thumb can be pretty important part of the swing :-)

post #71 of 1528
In case you're not sufficiently stoked for Masters season, here's one of my favorite things that Golf Digest has done: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/georgia/augusta-changes

(I know I post that every year, but it's so great. I don't care.)
post #72 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

If you were betting on the Masters, would you stay away from Jason Day at this point? I loved him as the favorite before this thumb injury, but now he has me scared.  

 

This is by far the hardest year to bet The Masters because of the type of year it's been so far. The Field might be the best choice. I don't trust Day coming back with an injury and a long layoff. I'm actually putting some money down on Dustin Johnson this year. With his length and a much improved short game and putter, he is ideal for Augusta.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Masters Discussion Thread