or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Sand wedge shaft flex question. Also questions about playing a SW like a LW, or PW like a GW
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sand wedge shaft flex question. Also questions about playing a SW like a LW, or PW like a GW

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 

Hey all.  So I just got fitted into some new irons.  I am running stiff DG300's 3-PW with an extra inch and a quarter of length to account for my being tall.  This length softens the flex slightly. Here's the question, after spending a load of cash on new irons I really need to take a break from buying new clubs.  I would love a new wedge but financially I really shouldn't go for it.  So I am stuck with my regular flex Tom Watson 56 degree 11bounce sand wedge (it is an inch long so plays slightly softer than regular).  Will this difference in flex between my irons and SW be very noticeable to my shot dispersion with the SW?  I feel like it wont be a problem with chip shots because of how short the shaft is and because most shots with the SW wont be exactly full swings.  

 

Also, I would love a lob wedge but probably won't be getting one for some months due to the same reason.  Could I play the SW like a lob by just opening up the club face a bit at address?  Likewise, could I play my PW like a GW simply by opening up the face?    

post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno1 View Post
 

Will this difference in flex between my irons and SW be very noticeable to my shot dispersion with the SW?  I feel like it wont be a problem with chip shots because of how short the shaft is and because most shots with the SW wont be exactly full swings.  

 

Correct it won't be much of an issue around the green. Even for full swings you won't see much dispersion, it's tough to put a lot of curve on wedges.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno1 View Post

 

Also, I would love a lob wedge but probably won't be getting one for some months due to the same reason.  Could I play the SW like a lob by just opening up the club face a bit at address?  Likewise, could I play my PW like a GW simply by opening up the face?    

 

 

You can open it up a little. Can also lower the handle and have the handle back at address. Like the right pic.

 

post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno1 View Post
 

Hey all.  So I just got fitted into some new irons.  I am running stiff DG300's 3-PW with an extra inch and a quarter of length to account for my being tall.  This length softens the flex slightly.

Height is only one factor that might push you toward longer than standard irons. A more critical measure, which probably was done, is wrist to floor length. I just point to it because it is common error in fitting.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizuno1 View Post

 

Will this difference in flex between my irons and SW be very noticeable to my shot dispersion with the SW?  I feel like it wont be a problem with chip shots because of how short the shaft is and because most shots with the SW wont be exactly full swings.  

 

Also, I would love a lob wedge but probably won't be getting one for some months due to the same reason.  Could I play the SW like a lob by just opening up the club face a bit at address?  Likewise, could I play my PW like a GW simply by opening up the face?

On a SW it won't be noticeable. Keep in mind, there is no standard for flex. A stiff for one OEM may be regular for another. The only way to really know is to measure. On a wedge, the inconsistency won't matter that much. As opening up the face, etc. Yeah, that's they way it has been done since the days of Old Tom Morris. However, that is for chipping around the green. On longer shots, don't be messing with the face of the club. All distance control is is shortening the backswing - just like you do on a short putt vs. a long one. You still turn through the ball fully. Control distance with the length of your swing.

post #4 of 4

Your TW 56.11 SW has younger brothers now.

 

For about $100, you can get a Tom Watson Wedge 3 Pak. You get a 52.08, a 56.12, and a 60.08. All three have modest heel relief (metal recessed on sole), so you could open the face a little when need be. (Not sure what kind of shaft they have.) If you order online, make sure you specify R-hand or L-hand pak.

 

http://shop.adamsgolf.com/c/short-game_watson-wedge-pack-ix

 

Another option for you, Mizuno1... Mizuno has a backlog of JPX Series wedges, and golf shops are selling them for $50 each.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Sand wedge shaft flex question. Also questions about playing a SW like a LW, or PW like a GW