or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Shorter shaft length on hybrid to reduce distance?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shorter shaft length on hybrid to reduce distance?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

So I've got the Adams a12 pro 18* hybrid and I love it.  It's a touch upright for me though and I hit it too long on my full swings.  I want to take about 10-15 yards off my full shot with this club.

 

What should I consider before shortening the shaft?  Will it impact shaft stiffness?  How much should I shorten to take 10-15 yards off?

 

Looking for some suggestions.  I can take a little off and play a little cut, but that's not what I'm looking for....   i.e. I can play the club 225-245 comfortably but I want it to play 215-235 with the same swings...

 

Will shortening the club help at all?

post #2 of 8

It will be tough to get that distance off just by shortening it. Also you will make the club play very lighter than it normally is, and make the club more upright as well. 

 

Honestly the best course would probably go buy a 20-21 degree hybrid. 

post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

It will be tough to get that distance off just by shortening it. Also you will make the club play very lighter than it normally is, and make the club more upright as well. 

 

Honestly the best course would probably go buy a 20-21 degree hybrid. 

I think you mean it makes the club flatter? Shortening the club would require you to move the butt closer to your body and point the handle more towards the sky at address like a wedge, not angle it lower like a driver. If the toe is pointed too far up at address, shortening the club would make it play flatter and fit better for him. It has a lie angle more like one of his long irons rather than his woods so it needs to be closer to that length to fit his profile. 

 

It will require about 6 grams of additional weight per half inch you remove to keep the swingweight constant, 2 grams is about one SW point and a half inch is 3 SW points. Either lead tape or adjusting the weight screw should work should you choose to go this route, you'd just need a grit edge blade to trim the shaft if it's graphite after removing the grip, then just fix the weight and regrip. If you wanted to reverse this job you could use butt extensions and you'd have to regrip it again. Shouldn't do too much to stiffness unless you forget to add the weight or you trim the tip instead of the butt for some reason. 40.5 inches doesn't seem like too long to me though, it should be within mortal means to hit compared to other hybrids or woods of this loft.

 

Another option, though one I wouldn't recommend, would be to reshaft the hybrid with a heavier shaft, possibly even steel like the KBS hybrid or dynamic gold SL, and shorten it to make the weighting work out for whichever shaft you pick. It would take at least 10 yards off in theory, but will make the club play differently; it would take off ball speed while probably lowering launch, so your trajectory wouldn't be high enough to be ideal for a hybrid. It would be a bit cheaper to buy and install a shaft than add a club, that's the only reason I mention it.

 

In my opinion, I think shortening it could help a bit but I agree with @saevel25 that it wouldn't be quite enough on its own to change your distance that much. You have a fair sized gap at about the 3 iron slot, if you don't carry a driver then something at the 20 degree loft will probably fit into the bag, or you could even track down a 3 iron from your set though it is fairly low lofted at 19 degrees, but due to the shaft length it would probably gap fairly well. I wouldn't mess with the club if you like it, but you have a loft gap of 4 degrees and a length gap of about 1.5 inches if I'm reading correctly. You could also drop a long iron and fill the 3 and 4 spots with one hybrid, if you feel you hit it better than a 4 iron. It's easier to hit a choked down hybrid off the deck than a full 3 iron with only 1 degree of extra loft. 

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding View Post
 

I think you mean it makes the club flatter? Shortening the club would require you to move the butt closer to your body and point the handle more towards the sky at address like a wedge, not angle it lower like a driver. If the toe is pointed too far up at address, shortening the club would make it play flatter and fit better for him. It has a lie angle more like one of his long irons rather than his woods so it needs to be closer to that length to fit his profile.

 

Pointing the handle of the club higher makes it play more upright (it brings the heel off the ground). It's as if the club is too flat.

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the feedback! I have a UST Mamiya tourspx shaft (85 hx) - 83.5 grams 3.1 torque, (42" I believe)....  I don't understand all the numbers but that's the shaft that I have in it.  It's a great shaft and feels right for me so I hate to cut it down at all...  Right now the toe plays slightly up, shortening the shaft may make it play a little flatter and bring the toe down (just a little)...

 

I've been back on forth on this one, if I had the money, I would seriously consider getting the a12 pro 23* with a similar shaft and same sw.  Realistically, that's probably the best thing to do.  It sounds like shortening the shaft really won't do much by itself.

 

Pulling a club to make room and keep it would be easy as I would pull driver or 48* out (I know pulling a wedge wouldn't be recommended, but I only use it on full swings if I need extra spin, otherwise I just hit PW close)

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys, I came to the conclusion, I'm just going to keep that club the way it is...  I'll wait till I have a little extra money in my golf budget and may look to add another hybrid to fill the gap between my 4 iron (205) and my 18* hybrid..... I think I want to look for something that I hit 210-230...  215-220 is a yardage I find myself at that I have nothing for the shot... I can't hit the 18* because I'll go deep (comfortably choking down and playing a cut doesn't do it), and 4 will leave me short...

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP golf View Post
 

Thanks guys, I came to the conclusion, I'm just going to keep that club the way it is...  I'll wait till I have a little extra money in my golf budget and may look to add another hybrid to fill the gap between my 4 iron (205) and my 18* hybrid..... I think I want to look for something that I hit 210-230...  215-220 is a yardage I find myself at that I have nothing for the shot... I can't hit the 18* because I'll go deep (comfortably choking down and playing a cut doesn't do it), and 4 will leave me short...

 

I have the A12 Pro in both 18* (2h) and 23* (4h).  I started out with the 18* and absolutely love that club.  Like you, my typical distance is around 235-240 with the 18*.  I bought the 23*, exact same shaft and setup, and I hit it aout 220.  It's a perfect gap filler to the 4i, which at 24* travels about 205-210 for me.  I absolutely love both clubs.  The best part is if I really step on the 4i I can get it out to about 215, but it has a much lower traj than the 4h which gives me options when playing in wind.

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post
 

 

I have the A12 Pro in both 18* (2h) and 23* (4h).  I started out with the 18* and absolutely love that club.  Like you, my typical distance is around 235-240 with the 18*.  I bought the 23*, exact same shaft and setup, and I hit it aout 220.  It's a perfect gap filler to the 4i, which at 24* travels about 205-210 for me.  I absolutely love both clubs.  The best part is if I really step on the 4i I can get it out to about 215, but it has a much lower traj than the 4h which gives me options when playing in wind.


Thanks!  Sounds like a fit!  4 iron is 205 here also and that 23* would fill the gap pretty good.  Glad to get someone that's got the same gaps and clubs (hybrid anyway).  I'm going to my shop sometime next weekend and see if they can build me a 23...

 

I'll just bring lunch for a month.. I got my priority's straight.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Shorter shaft length on hybrid to reduce distance?