or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › New Graphic on NBC Telecasts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Graphic on NBC Telecasts - Page 2

post #19 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanson View Post

it's repetitive. i agree with the above - more useful statistics should be integrated into broadcasts. the golf channel/nbc used to use aimpoint putting lines on greens. it'd be neat if they'd show that along with hole out percentages from the person putting vs the field. it seems like they've stopped using the aimpoint line altogether, which is unfortunate - it's difficult to get a good idea of the slope of a green on tv, and i thought it always added great perspective. same with the protracer. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

I don't like it. They should use that space to show what position the player is in and how many strokes back from the leader.

For example: "T5. 5 strokes back."
Sure, I agree with this too. I'm of the opinion that things can always be improved upon, and all of these ideas are good. Is the "1 2 3 4" thing the greatest thing ever? Of course not. Maybe it won't even last that long cuz it's sounds like the majority don't like it, but at least they're trying things. I like innovation.

And I miss the Aimpoint line too ... Don't know why they stopped doing it, it was great!!
post #20 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Yes, I respect your opinion on that and I agree that many people will see that its redundant and not like it.  I'm simply not one of those people.  :-P  So far, it doesn't bother me, and I see some situations where it provides me info I didn't have in the past.  :beer:

I agree with you Golfingdad , it's not the best graphic but I like it too and I don't think it's always redundant.  On some of those long par 5's a lot of guys were laying up so it doesn't hurt to know if it's the 2nd or 3rd shot.  I'd prefer they keep the new graphic and replace the Par graphic with yardage to hole.

 

At some point I'd think they would ask some of the pro's to use a modified version of the GameGolf sensors on their clubs so that information is automatically relayed back to the production truck, sort of how they use telemetry in cars on NASCAR.

post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

That's fine.

 

I think it's stupid. :) I'd rather they use that space for something else, like GIR rank for the player for the year, odds of holing the putt, etc.

I like that idea. They could take that player's putting statistics (the current year, or the current week/event) from that distance and show the percentage. That would be neat, in my opinion.

 

I also liked the idea of showing which club the player is using more often and when possible. I think it would be fun to see how many times these guys are pulling a 7, 8, or 9 from around the green. It's my opinion, but from my experience I think the average golfer simply thinks everything is a 48° or higher lofted club from a close proximity to the green. I think that could spark more creativity for guys watching the broadcast at home as well. Maybe "Joe Schmoe" will try a 9i the next time that he needs to bump and run a considerable distance with plenty of green to work with when he sees Dufner pull off the shot, rather than always using his LW.

post #22 of 83

At first I didn't like the graphic.  However I find it extremely useful when I have the volume on mute.  Easier to follow along. 

post #23 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNutz303 View Post
 

At first I didn't like the graphic.  However I find it extremely useful when I have the volume on mute.  Easier to follow along. 

Ha ha, this is becoming comical.  If you had your TV muted 2 months ago, the graphic already told you it was a Par 5 and they were taking their second shot.  I'm never the all caps kind of guy, but after posting this 3 times, here it goes:  This new graphic gives you ABSOLUTELY NO NEW INFORMATION.  It's just a second way of telling you what shot they are on.

 

 If it already says Par 4, second shot, what does this new graphic tell you that's different if your volume is on mute?  Again, if you like the graphic, I'm not going to argue that.  But stop saying that it's something useful when it's a repeat of what's already been on the screen for the last 10 years, every time a player takes a shot on both networks. 

post #24 of 83

Not sure why it took me this long, but I've figured out the perfect solution.  Those of us that like it, like the "1 2 3 4" because it tells more of the story than "2nd shot."  If the guy is near the green, for example, you'll know right away if he missed the green on a par 3, or if he nearly drove the green on a par 4.  If he's in the fairway, you'll know if he's trying to get a GIR or give himself an eagle putt, etc, etc.  It provides more info.  Those who dislike it think it's redundant, and the space could be better used for some other information.  They are right.  In several of the cases (especially on the tee and on the green) the extra info is not necessary.  And all of the ideas above for alternative info is great.

 

The solution is simple:  Don't get rid of the "1 2 3 4," but rather, get rid of the "2nd shot" line.  Now, those of us that like it get our extra info, and it's not redundant, and there is room for the other stats or whatever.  Everybody wins!!:beer:

 

P.S.  @newtogolf , I like your gamegolf idea, but think it would probably be a much easier sell to have the caddies wear it than the players.  They already have the primitive  hand signal game they play with Feherty and Maltbie, so this could make it a little easier and quicker.

post #25 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I agree with you Golfingdad , it's not the best graphic but I like it too and I don't think it's always redundant.  On some of those long par 5's a lot of guys were laying up so it doesn't hurt to know if it's the 2nd or 3rd shot.  I'd prefer they keep the new graphic and replace the Par graphic with yardage to hole.

 

At some point I'd think they would ask some of the pro's to use a modified version of the GameGolf sensors on their clubs so that information is automatically relayed back to the production truck, sort of how they use telemetry in cars on NASCAR.

When someone is laying up on a Par 5, they've always put Second shot underneath the other information. In the last 10 years (at least) of televised golf, you've never had to guess which shot a player is taking.  Even with your volume muted.  They tell you.  Think of how ridiculous it would be if they didn't.  

 

Has anyone in this forum watched golf in a bar?  I've never sat there and wondered, gee, I wonder what hole this guy is, what par it is and how many shots he's already taken?  They've always told you!!  They've just found a redundant way to do it..  Ok, I'm done.  :-) 


Edited by albatross - 3/31/14 at 11:58am
post #26 of 83

I think Nobilo put it best during the Bay Hill event. After yet another one of Lerners' mind bending diatribes...."Nobs" explained the graphic by saying; " When you tire of listening to us, you can mute the sound and see the highlighted number and you'll know where the player stands". I think the additional graphic is great, but STOP telling what the graphic reads, just like the other mindless stats that are spat out of the NBC/GC truck. Did you know that Zach Johnson makes par everytime a seagull flies by the lighthouse at Sea Island? Amazing!

 

I dislike the Unprofessional candor tossed amongst the myriad of people that golf producers feel are needed for a broadcast, i.e. "Hey Rog...Gee, I dunno Gare...What hole are we on NO-taah? Remove the on course announcers who second guess and provide nothing but an argumentive opinion. Mute is an option, but should nt be needed.

post #27 of 83
On mute with no graphics at all you can kind of tell what stroke it is by player and fan reaction based on my experience background half watching golf.

Wonder if some muckity muck saw some stat about how bad at math Americans are and thought this up. I can't tell you how many times I trip up cashiers by giving extra change to not receive any change.
post #28 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

On mute with no graphics at all you can kind of tell what stroke it is by player and fan reaction based on my experience background half watching golf.

Wonder if some muckity muck saw some stat about how bad at math Americans are and thought this up. I can't tell you how many times I trip up cashiers by giving extra change to not receive any change.

LOL, I stopped doing this because it frequently causes more trouble than it alleviates.

 

It's the same philosophy behind not giving fast food cashiers special orders.  Similar to the KISS method, let's call it the KISBTS method, with the BT standing for "because they're."   I ask myself ... would I rather order a cheeseburger and go home and remove the pickles myself, or would I rather go home and find a fish salad in the bag? :-P

post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

P.S.  @newtogolf , I like your gamegolf idea, but think it would probably be a much easier sell to have the caddies wear it than the players.  They already have the primitive  hand signal game they play with Feherty and Maltbie, so this could make it a little easier and quicker.

I didn't know they did this as I'd think it come close to being a rules violation.  The other caddie could watch the hand signal and find out what club was used.  If Bill Belichick was a golfer you know he'd have his caddie intercepting those signals. 

post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I didn't know they did this as I'd think it come close to being a rules violation.  The other caddie could watch the hand signal and find out what club was used.  If Bill Belichick was a golfer you know he'd have his caddie intercepting those signals.

LOL about Belichick, except there's no real need for the secrecy.  Anybody who really wanted to see what club the other guy was using could do so without too much trouble.

 

I think it was on an episode of Feherty, probably when he was interviewing a guy like Jim McKay or Fluff Cowan, he made mention of it.  Basically the caddie holds up (or down) a number of fingers to Feherty to tell him what club is being used.  Obviously it's not always done, because you can tell they're guessing sometimes, and other times they're not always standing right there - they might go further up the hole or something.

post #31 of 83

Instead of 1 2 3 4, you can put in that section their current strokes gained position in the tournament.  Have the graphic in red (with the number of course) if they are in the negative in strokes gained and have the graphic in green if they are in the positive.  If I tune in during the middle of a Saturday let's say, I can immediately see if the particular player I'm currently watching is hot with the putter (or not) and compare it to their position on the leaderboard which to me, is WAY more interesting than telling me 1 2 3 4.  You can also place the graphic in a special color (gold or something) for the "leader" in strokes gained who could be a guy not leading the tournament but still leading in putting.

 

Being that Tiger is always the main topic during tournaments when he plays, it would be cool to see his strokes gained position in that graphic in the tourney (especially majors) or any other big name player for that matter like Phil, Bubba, Luke Donald, etc etc....

post #32 of 83

I don't like it.

 

I can figure out what shot the guy is on 90% of the time, and when he is on something more than that shot I expect them to tell me what happened i.e. he had to take a drop for an unplayable, or he had to pitch out sideways ...etc.

post #33 of 83

How is it redudant?!

 

It is replacing the par for the hole....

 

 

Instead of it reading 16th Par 4.

 

It has the numbers to add up to the par and the circle to indicate the players position on that hole.

 

 

Without the numbers, please tell me where it reads a par 4....

post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumaAttack View Post
 

How is it redudant?!

 

It is replacing the par for the hole....

 

 

Instead of it reading 16th Par 4.

 

It has the numbers to add up to the par and the circle to indicate the players position on that hole.

 

 

Without the numbers, please tell me where it reads a par 4....

I'm not arguing with you - as I'm one of the people on here who likes the graphic - but the reason those guys are calling it redundant is because it highlights the "3" AND says "for birdie."  By the definition of redundant, that qualifies.

 

However, you are right that if they were to remove the numbers and not put "Par 4" back in its place, then you wouldn't know that from the graphic.  I think that the "solution" is just to remove the bottom line.  Those of us that like the new graphic still get it and those that don't like the redundancy don't have to worry about that either.  Win, win. :beer:

post #35 of 83

As a UI, user interface, designer I think its a great way to display the par for the hole.  You dont always know if a player is shooting his second to the green or had to punch out from the trees...

 

This graphic tells you instantly what the par is and how many strokes the player is on.

 

 

Its relevance to everybody watching the telecast, unlike some stat that 90% of the TV audience doesn't understand or need to know.

post #36 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumaAttack View Post
 

As a UI, user interface, designer I think its a great way to display the par for the hole.  You dont always know if a player is shooting his second to the green or had to punch out from the trees...

 

This graphic tells you instantly what the par is and how many strokes the player is on.

 

 

Its relevance to everybody watching the telecast, unlike some stat that 90% of the TV audience doesn't understand or need to know.

You, me and @Golfingdad agree

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › New Graphic on NBC Telecasts