or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Worst Dresser on the PGA..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Worst Dresser on the PGA.. - Page 2

post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post
 

 

How can he be considered the worst dressed on tour when I am usually considered best dressed at my club with the same clothing?

I'll defend you on this one!  He is an easy target (as was pointed out in the OP) and people point to the clothes.  IMO, It's not the clothes.  It's the giant beer gut, and it's the fit of the loud clothes, and it's the plethora of giant Tin Cup logos all over the ill-fitting, loud clothes.  You can wear loud clothes and look good.  (I'm thinking of Billy Horschel last year with the blue pants that had monkeys or something all over them.  I wouldn't be caught dead in those myself, but they looked cool on him.)

 

He (Daly) is a caricature of himself at this point.

 

I also don't get the hate for Poulter ... and by extension, Ricky Fowler.  I get that they wear clothes that are really flashy, and that your average "regular golfer" is the opposite of flashy, but they have the BEST fashion sense of anybody on tour, not the worst.

To me, worst dressed does not mean "flashiest" or "most colorful," but rather it means "unkempt."  If you wear a polo that comes untucked (hey, @jamo you know anybody who does that? :surrender:) and don't fix it, such that you're walking around all disheveled, or you wear pants too long or too short, or too tight or too baggy, those are signs of poor dressers.

 

Guys that try to be stylish are stylish.  I don't care for the flat caps, but they certainly work for Ricky and Hunter.  I really don't like the painters caps, but they work for Freddy and Ricky B.

 

In general, I think that most guys on tour are very well dressed.  When you are at a tournament and walking around between holes or between the range and the course, any pro walks by you, even the no-name ones, they usually stand out, partially because of the tailored clothes they wear.

post #20 of 49

This guy.  Every time I see Jacobson his shirt is untucked.  He's a disheveled mess.  Belt never matches the hat or shoes, that hat is not a cool style anymore. I dunno, maybe just my own opinion, but he's right up there.

 

post #21 of 49

Phil.

 

Pants too baggy, shirts too tight.

 

I don't need Phil's nipples telling me the temperature at the tournament location.

post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

I'll defend you on this one!  He is an easy target (as was pointed out in the OP) and people point to the clothes.  IMO, It's not the clothes.  It's the giant beer gut, and it's the fit of the loud clothes, and it's the plethora of giant Tin Cup logos all over the ill-fitting, loud clothes.  You can wear loud clothes and look good.  (I'm thinking of Billy Horschel last year with the blue pants that had monkeys or something all over them.  I wouldn't be caught dead in those myself, but they looked cool on him.)

 

He (Daly) is a caricature of himself at this point.

 

I also don't get the hate for Poulter ... and by extension, Ricky Fowler.  I get that they wear clothes that are really flashy, and that your average "regular golfer" is the opposite of flashy, but they have the BEST fashion sense of anybody on tour, not the worst.

To me, worst dressed does not mean "flashiest" or "most colorful," but rather it means "unkempt."  If you wear a polo that comes untucked (hey, @jamo you know anybody who does that? :surrender:) and don't fix it, such that you're walking around all disheveled, or you wear pants too long or too short, or too tight or too baggy, those are signs of poor dressers.

 

Guys that try to be stylish are stylish.  I don't care for the flat caps, but they certainly work for Ricky and Hunter.  I really don't like the painters caps, but they work for Freddy and Ricky B.

 

In general, I think that most guys on tour are very well dressed.  When you are at a tournament and walking around between holes or between the range and the course, any pro walks by you, even the no-name ones, they usually stand out, partially because of the tailored clothes they wear.

 

While I agree with you on almost every point you made, best (worst) dressed is kind of subjective.

 

Many average golfers like to dress such that they don't stick out, and as a consequence many think the ones who have "chic fashion sense" are possibly a little over the top.

 

For instance, Ian Poulter looks like he could end up on a fashion magazine, which to the average Joe golfer conveys the wrong message about golf in their (our) minds.

 

On the seemingly flip side, a beer belly sticking out from a pro golfer could portray the "everyday man's golfer", and look really bad to golfers with more "fashion sense".

 

Pretty subjective question, without any conclusive answer. We can pretty much put anybody down, and still be "right".

post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post
 

Phil.

 

Pants too baggy, shirts too tight.

 

I don't need Phil's nipples telling me the temperature at the tournament location.

post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

While I agree with you on almost every point you made, best (worst) dressed is kind of subjective.

 

Many average golfers like to dress such that they don't stick out, and as a consequence many think the ones who have "chic fashion sense" are possibly a little over the top.

 

For instance, Ian Poulter looks like he could end up on a fashion magazine, which to the average Joe golfer conveys the wrong message about golf in their (our) minds.

 

On the seemingly flip side, a beer belly sticking out from a pro golfer could portray the "everyday man's golfer", and look really bad to golfers with more "fashion sense".

 

Pretty subjective question, without any conclusive answer. We can pretty much put anybody down, and still be "right".

Absolutely ... 100% subjective.  It's entirely opinion.  I just think that "worst dressed" and "not something I'd wear" are entirely different things, whereas a lot of people kind of clump those together.

 

As far as I'm concerned, if you put thought into what you wear, make an effort, it fits good, you can't be the worst dressed.

 

The previous two examples (Jacobsen and Mickelson) are pretty good examples of poorly dressed golfers.  (In my opinion, of course.)  Sloppy and somewhat unkempt in both cases.

post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 


Let me guess, 50F? Must have been the early morning too! :-$

post #26 of 49

Anyone who still wears pleated pants. 

 

It seems like the new overwhelming style is slim fit, straight legged pants with the athletic fit polo's. I agree they look sharper than the days of all those guys wearing loose baggy pleated pants. 

I still for the life of my can't figure out the all white outfits. I don't think they good at all. Contrast in fashion and style seems better to me than wearing bright white pants, shoes and a polo. 

I also can't stand the white belts, I'm with Zinger on this one. I just don't get it at all. 

Also why does Bubba not unbotton the top button on his polo's. I don't get that either. Someone told me that the top button should only be buttoned if you are wearing a tie. 

 

Overall I'd say I like the guys who aren't dressed exclusively by golf companies. No need to throw a bunch of bright colors and textures together to try and reinvent the wheel. I think simple is usually the best and most classy looking. The Boss guys like Luke Guthrie usually look decent, and the Polo guys like Webb Simpson and Jonathan Byrd look good usually. 

post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

 

I also don't get these chubby guys with moobs not wearing t-shirts under their skin tight shirts.  I see more nipple on the PGA Tour than anyplace else on television.

 

Haha.  For sure.  Though in their defense, I think it's partly the fault of the nice breathable stretch fabrics in most modern (hot weather at least) golf shirts/polos.  I'm in pretty good shape and also without huge pecs or anything (gym rat moobs?) and I find I'm rockin the nips sometimes in my golf shirts too.

 

And when it's hot, you want to be comfortable before fashionable.  When it's 80˚ I'd much rather be flashing a bit too much moob than be all hot and sweaty with a dripping wet shirt hiding the moobs with an extra layer.  That said, I agree that you should not wear undersized shirts when you've got some moobs and a bit of a gut.

post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

 

Also why does Bubba not unbotton the top button on his polo's. I don't get that either. Someone told me that the top button should only be buttoned if you are wearing a tie. 

 

I don't get that either, looks very odd to me.

post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I also don't get these chubby guys with moobs not wearing t-shirts under their skin tight shirts.  I see more nipple on the PGA Tour than anyplace else on television.

I can answer that!  Matt almost already did below, but he's not chubby, so it doesn't count as much. ;)  It's not partly, but actually 100% about comfort and because the golf shirts are designed with the breathable, stretch, moisture wicking fabrics.  I don't want to look like a fool, but if I had to make a choice between looking like a fool and being comfortable, I'll take comfortable.  I try to do both, though, by getting looser shirts and blousing them, but some of the shirts just kinda lay there. :8)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

 

Haha.  For sure.  Though in their defense, I think it's partly the fault of the nice breathable stretch fabrics in most modern (hot weather at least) golf shirts/polos.  I'm in pretty good shape and also without huge pecs or anything (gym rat moobs?) and I find I'm rockin the nips sometimes in my golf shirts too.

 

And when it's hot, you want to be comfortable before fashionable.  When it's 80˚ I'd much rather be flashing a bit too much moob than be all hot and sweaty with a dripping wet shirt hiding the moobs with an extra layer.  That said, I agree that you should not wear undersized shirts when you've got some moobs and a bit of a gut.

Exactly.

 

When I'm not playing sports, then I will wear absolutely cotton t-shirt under other shirts.  (Tip:  I even wear t-shirts under t-shirts.  Try it ... You'll never have to worry about yellow stains on your "good" t-shirts again.):beer:

post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

I can answer that!  Matt almost already did below, but he's not chubby, so it doesn't count as much. ;)  It's not partly, but actually 100% about comfort and because the golf shirts are designed with the breathable, stretch, moisture wicking fabrics.  I don't want to look like a fool, but if I had to make a choice between looking like a fool and being comfortable, I'll take comfortable.  I try to do both, though, by getting looser shirts and blousing them, but some of the shirts just kinda lay there. :8)

 

Exactly.

 

When I'm not playing sports, then I will wear absolutely cotton t-shirt under other shirts.  (Tip:  I even wear t-shirts under t-shirts.  Try it ... You'll never have to worry about yellow stains on your "good" t-shirts again.):beer:

I wear UA HeatGear sleeveless shirts under my golf shirt.  Takes the edge of the nips and still comfortable in the heat.  I learned that trick from my marathon running, you never want to run long distances in a loose fitting shirt without a compression shirt unless you like bleeding nipples.

post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I wear UA HeatGear sleeveless shirts under my golf shirt.  Takes the edge of the nips and still comfortable in the heat.  I learned that trick from my marathon running, you never want to run long distances in a loose fitting shirt without a compression shirt unless you like bleeding nipples.

Oh yeah ... those would work!  I have a heatgear, but it's long sleeve so I don't wear it much.  I actually bought it by mistake, thinking it would help in the cool mornings.  Nuh uh.  When I wear that thing and its breezy, holy crap is it cold!

 

And I'm not an Asian woman so I don't need it when it's sunny outside ... I like tans!! :beer:

post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

Also why does Bubba not unbotton the top button on his polo's. I don't get that either. Someone told me that the top button should only be buttoned if you are wearing a tie. 

Bubba is the kind of guy I can imagine wearing a tie with a polo shirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

When I'm not playing sports, then I will wear absolutely cotton t-shirt under other shirts.  (Tip:  I even wear t-shirts under t-shirts.  Try it ... You'll never have to worry about yellow stains on your "good" t-shirts again.)c2_beer.gif

That's what I do too, but I wear them under my golf shirt too.

Found some Hanes undershirts in XLT recently, which is great because they don't come untucked.
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


Bubba is the kind of guy I can imagine wearing a tie with a polo shirt.
That's what I do too, but I wear them under my golf shirt too.

Found some Hanes undershirts in XLT recently, which is great because they don't come untucked.

post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENtSwing32 View Post

I think he used my grandmom's drapes to make those pants!
post #35 of 49
Although he seems to be a pretty good guy, Boo Weekley's choice of clothing just looks silly. Pick a sport man! Hunting? Golf? Which is it?
post #36 of 49

Has to be a mix of John Daly, Boo Weekley and Graham Delaet. Some of this PUMA kit he wears is absolutely horrid.  Primary colour or primary school like designs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Worst Dresser on the PGA..