or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Tiger Woods out of Masters Following Surgery for Pinched Nerve
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tiger Woods out of Masters Following Surgery for Pinched Nerve - Page 7

post #109 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by atb5079 View Post
 

Ugh. An already subpar PGA tour season with boring players winning with 76s on Sunday and now TW doesnt play at Augusta. I'm gonna cry.

I disagree that this season has been all boring players, but you better start getting used to TW not being around.  Beginning of the end, my friend.  

post #110 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

And you two are basing this on your detailed knowledge of the golf swing?-Dont just say "I dont like it" tell us why. Details-We want details.
I second this.
post #111 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
 

Since we are all making predictions, I predict Tiger Woods reverses his stance on the anchored putting stroke ban.

Not only that ... he's going to start using one because:

 

A)  He doesn't want to have to bend over (he's also going to get one of those little suction cups and put it on the butt end of his putter)

 

B)  That's "obviously" how you win the Masters. :beer:

post #112 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Not only that ... he's going to start using one because:

 

A)  He doesn't want to have to bend over (he's also going to get one of those little suction cups and put it on the butt end of his putter)

 

B)  That's "obviously" how you win the Masters. :beer:

Well in that case, it's high time someone did something about this outrageous ruling made by the USGA. How dare they ban Tiger! Don't they know that Tiger IS GOLF!

:-P

post #113 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Since we are all making predictions, I predict Tiger Woods reverses his stance on the anchored putting stroke ban.

But you have no evidence! Baseless speculation! b2_tongue.gif
post #114 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Not only that ... he's going to start using one because:

 

A)  He doesn't want to have to bend over (he's also going to get one of those little suction cups and put it on the butt end of his putter)

 

B)  That's "obviously" how you win the Masters. :beer:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Well in that case, it's high time someone did something about this outrageous ruling made by the USGA. How dare they ban Tiger! Don't they know that Tiger IS GOLF!

:-P

Funny you should say that because I came back to this thread so I could expand on my "prediction" ...

 

After he wins the Masters and PGA next year with said long putter, he and Adam Scott (who won the Open Championship) go to Finchem in September saying, basically, it's the only way they can putt.  The PGA Tour announces in October that it will go against the USGA and allow long putter users to be "grandfathered" in. :bugout:

post #115 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 


Spot on. If Tiger is still incorporating squats, overhead lifting or dead lifts in his routine which I had heard he was big into the power training in that manner. Although touted the "best" all around training exercise, squats are horrible for the lumbar spine and the often done in poor form. I have to say that anything creating excessive interstitial pressure must be avoided from here on out.

 

Do we know how he performs his squats though?  While I admit it is often the one or two exercises (the other being dead lift) that I see done in poor form (both putting too much pressure on the back and the knees, specifically the patellar tendon), there are "right" ways to do it.  Even if we know whether he squats or not, we don't know how much or how, do we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Not only that ... he's going to start using one because:

 

A)  He doesn't want to have to bend over (he's also going to get one of those little suction cups and put it on the butt end of his putter)

 

B)  That's "obviously" how you win the Masters. :beer:

 

I like it.  The suction cup thingie.

 

In light of new information, I've decided that anchored putting strokes do not infringe upon the historical intent of skills required to play the game, and would like to reverse my support for the ban.  What information?  Not important.  :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


But you have no evidence! Baseless speculation! b2_tongue.gif

 

Well it is my sincerely held belief, and that is all the evidence I need!

post #116 of 157
@bplewis24 I don't have the source but I know it was said that he did "a lot" of squats because it threw up a red flag.
post #117 of 157

the back was acting up last year...why the hell didnt he do this over the winter?????

 

:censored:  :poo:  :censored:  :poo:

post #118 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post
 

the back was acting up last year...why the hell didnt he do this over the winter?????

 

:censored:  :poo:  :censored:  :poo:


No Idea.

 

If you watch the exhibition match he played with Rory in October ( where they both got mic'd up ) - he mentions to Rory how bad his back is.

 

Maybe he ( they ) were unaware of how severe it was

post #119 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

the back was acting up last year...why the hell didnt he do this over the winter?????

z1_censored.gif   e1_poo.gif   z1_censored.gif   e1_poo.gif

Probably tried to fix it with bed rest; would explain why he was so rusty at the beginning of the year.
post #120 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post


Probably tried to fix it with bed rest; would explain why he was so rusty at the beginning of the year.

 

 

 

It's possible that last August he had a slightly bulging disc that he (or he and his doctors) believed could be controlled with anti inflammatories, but this spring it was just much worse i.e. he had a full blown herniation. A disc can go from a bulge to being blown out where you have disc matter protruding out much more severely. This image explains it better than I can.

 

http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/Images/PE-HerniatedLumbar_Figure2a.jpg

post #121 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post


Probably tried to fix it with bed rest; would explain why he was so rusty at the beginning of the year.

 

I think he tried to increase muscle mass for some reason.  I saw the replay of his win at the Palmer Invitational last year and he either started wearing smaller shirts this year or he packed on quite a bit of muscle.  I know that has been discussed before but with this news I am thinking it may have possibly been done in an effort to 'strengthen the area around the injury" which is what was recommended to me when I complained about knee pain. (pure speculation on my part)

 

His swing is so violent... plus his back has a lot of waffle waitress miles on it.  He is good for the game though so I would like to see him come back and be competitive again.  

post #122 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post


Probably tried to fix it with bed rest; would explain why he was so rusty at the beginning of the year.



Isn't "bed rest" what caused so many of his other problems?  *rim shot*

 

Seriously, though, this could be No Big Deal or it could be The Beginning of the End.  That's just how back injuries work.  

 

His second swing was so insanely violent.  This new swing is almost perfect: nice, narrow stance to take pressure off of the busted leg, and he maintains flex in the left leg instead of snapping it straight up.  The one thing I would like to see is a different way for him to start his lateral move: he drives his left shoulder down pretty hard, and that's going to put a lot of strain on both the leg and back.  Still, the narrower stance should help compensate for that.

 

I think his new swing is a tremendous improvement over his old swing in terms of his longevity, but I worry that the change came too late.  

post #123 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post
 

the back was acting up last year...why the hell didnt he do this over the winter?????

 

:censored:  :poo:  :censored:  :poo:

No one wants to do back surgery

post #124 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

No one wants to do back surgery
Exactly. Any surgery is a last resort kind of thing ... Especially one so close to your spinal cord.
post #125 of 157

Tiger should switch to lefty, his right knee should be okay.  /sarcasm

 

Pretty sure Tiger has plenty of advisors plus Foley that will work on his rehab and recovery.

post #126 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

Tiger should switch to lefty, his right knee should be okay.  /sarcasm

 

Pretty sure Tiger has plenty of advisors plus Foley that will work on his rehab and recovery.

I'm sure they're coming up with a plan right now. I'll be curious what, if any, swing changes he ends up making. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Tiger Woods out of Masters Following Surgery for Pinched Nerve