or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Country clubs are an american standard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Country clubs are an american standard - Page 3

post #37 of 52
Thread Starter 

I just went down to play Lexington country club in Fort Myers.

The course is completely green.  Unbelievable considering they did 63,000 rounds last year.  Amenities are nice.  Typical friendly middle of the road country club in south florida.  Check it out

post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I don't think you join a country club solely to play golf.  You join it for social and professional networking where golf, tennis and pool are  added benefits.

 

Well said and very true! - Reminds me of college frats to a degree - I used to have really strong feelings about this and hated that culture for what I perceived it to be...  Why pay for friends, right?

 

My perception has completely changed over the years.  For a long time I was jealous of those that were born into money or had financial advantages that I didn't have coming up.  I felt like they came off standoffish, entitled, preppy, and had everything handed to them.  I refused to join a frat in college because I felt like it was paying for friendship (and I was already friends with many of them anyway).  I felt the same about country clubs and honestly disliked golf as a young man in high school because I didn't feel that I fit in...  Lucky for me, my baseball coach got me to play for the high school golf team (free golf- He was the coach and our team sucked and needed players lol), and the local head pro asked me if I wanted to work at the course (more free golf)... Didn't know when I was 15 that golf would be one reason I went to college - I didn't know that it would lead to a job - didn't know that having the right references and connections would land me career opportunities etc...  all through golf (and that at 15, I was reluctant to call myself a golfer - No I was a baseball player that happened to play golf)...

 

It's funny looking back at how ignorant and misguided my assumptions were...  It's almost like I didn't want to be part of "that" group because I would be perceived as having everything handed to me...   As a teenager, when your close friends think you are not being loyal or that you are being "fake" because you put yourself in a position around people that you are different from....  It's hard to not get stuck in the same routine.  I almost was embarrassed to say I played on the golf team for a while or that I worked at the golf course because of the perception and stereotype held by many of my close friends and the people I grew up with.  Those friends would have my back for anything in any situation and they didn't play golf - they thought all golfers had everything handed to them and they didn't have to work for anything, (What JP, you think your better than us?)... Sports exposed me to so many people and kept me out of so much trouble - It's funny to think that if I hadn't played golf, If I hadn't met those people at the golf course - I might not have went to college, or chose to major in Sport Management, or be in a career field that I love.

 

As I got into my career, I began to understand more that being around successful people, you learn what makes them successful - You build relationships with people - You become a resource for them as they do for you..... You network!

 

They say "it's not what you know but who you know"...  but it's really who knows you... -Life's about building relationships right?

post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lverine View Post
 

Can somebody please explain to me what the no tee time system is? in detail?

First come, first serve?   I don't know for sure but there are courses that you just have to show up and put your name on the list to get to play.

post #40 of 52

We (wife and I) actually just joined a country club in the Tampa area. One of the big reasons we joined is because you can walk the course at any time. Most of the clubs in this area have dropped initiation fees and minimums to nothing to get new members. We have only been there about two months but have made some friends and it turns out the food in the restaurant is great and is actually cheaper than going out to most of the places we would normally go out to. So far, it's been a great investment. As far as the course, it's nicer than the muni's we usually had to play because they were the only places we could walk. We still travel occasionally to play some other courses plus we have the opportunity to go play other cc's in the same management company.

post #41 of 52
Thread Starter 

I was at the country club of Orlando today and I saw something I would like to share.

We have a magnificent terrace outside our dining room.  It faces the the back nine with probably 6 holes in view making it a hotspot of the club. There were some wives eating on the terrace with there kids.   There husbands were on some of the holes seen from the terrace.  The restaurant staff noticing the kids eagerness took some carts and brought them out to be with there fathers while the wives sat on the terrace drinking wine.  the kids were running around all over having great times with there fathers.  It was great to see.  The point is--there were other groups out there who were not affiliated with the families but they didn't care as a matter of fact they partook in the playing and the course almost became a playground.  Things like this are what make the private club enterprise so homely.  Everyone was happy and I captured a moment I won't forget.

post #42 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by w0lverine View Post
 

I was at the country club of Orlando today and I saw something I would like to share.

We have a magnificent terrace outside our dining room.  It faces the the back nine with probably 6 holes in view making it a hotspot of the club. There were some wives eating on the terrace with there kids.   There husbands were on some of the holes seen from the terrace.  The restaurant staff noticing the kids eagerness took some carts and brought them out to be with there fathers while the wives sat on the terrace drinking wine.  the kids were running around all over having great times with there fathers.  It was great to see.  The point is--there were other groups out there who were not affiliated with the families but they didn't care as a matter of fact they partook in the playing and the course almost became a playground.  Things like this are what make the private club enterprise so homely.  Everyone was happy and I captured a moment I won't forget.

Are you selling country club memberships?

post #43 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strausy007 View Post
 

Quote:

Are you selling country club memberships?

No, not at all.  I just like to talk about country clubs A) because I grew up on one  and B) I just think they get a bad rap sometimes and I like to provide opinion and share real life thoughts, stories, questions, ideas about them.

post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lverine View Post

I was at the country club of Orlando today and I saw something I would like to share.
We have a magnificent terrace outside our dining room.  It faces the the back nine with probably 6 holes in view making it a hotspot of the club. There were some wives eating on the terrace with there kids.   There husbands were on some of the holes seen from the terrace.  The restaurant staff noticing the kids eagerness took some carts and brought them out to be with there fathers while the wives sat on the terrace drinking wine.  the kids were running around all over having great times with there fathers.  It was great to see.  The point is--there were other groups out there who were not affiliated with the families but they didn't care as a matter of fact they partook in the playing and the course almost became a playground.  Things like this are what make the private club enterprise so homely.  Everyone was happy and I captured a moment I won't forget.

CCO is a nice club, with some great facilities, but has never been known as a club particularly serious about their golf. At a lot of clubs, that type of "playground" behavior on the course would have likely resulted in a quiet conversation with the offending member(s).
post #45 of 52

Yeah sounds like a liability issue to me. At my parents club kids have to be 5 or 6 to be out there at all and they wouldn't tolerate running around just golfing from the family tees. But most kids wouldn't care to be on the course anyway with the pool and everything else there. In the summer the family activities at the club are pretty much a party. Every here is into whatever the "new" giant ping pong game is played on half a court with paddles. You can hear the PA blasting music from the pool and tennis area all the way down the 1st fairway. There is a little concession shack that hands out popcorn and ice cream open to close.

post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

Yeah sounds like a liability issue to me. At my parents club kids have to be 5 or 6 to be out there at all and they wouldn't tolerate running around just golfing from the family tees. But most kids wouldn't care to be on the course anyway with the pool and everything else there. In the summer the family activities at the club are pretty much a party. Every here is into whatever the "new" giant ping pong game is played on half a court with paddles. You can hear the PA blasting music from the pool and tennis area all the way down the 1st fairway. There is a little concession shack that hands out popcorn and ice cream open to close.

Not liability so much as decorum and respect for the course and other members.
post #47 of 52

only reason i never joined a CC was I never wanted to be stuck playing the same course all the time. Paying that kind of money would force me to play there. To me, that would be boring quickly.

 

But i do respect the positives mentioned here

post #48 of 52

I have never been a CC member but can tell you that CC initiation fee & membership cost have come down quite a bit here in Northern CA.  As mentioned by a few others, a family membership, especially a large one, can get their money's worth.    Monthly fees I've heard were in $500 - $1000 range.   But I understand that it is still tough to get your full initiation fee back when you have to sell it.    I prefer a membership without initiation fee, which rules out most CCs.

post #49 of 52

I've had 2 private club memberships over the years, but I returned to the public course scene.   I'd rather have an annual membership at an upscale public course.    I get waaaay more golf course for the money....IMO   Facilities, pools, tennis courts..etc, etc.. don't matter to me...it's all about the golf.  Where I play now is much more course...

post #50 of 52

So, a bit of a twist here. My local club is what I will call quasi private, not a muni, and not a private CC. Its a course owned by Club Corp, the course is nice and well maintained, the family  membership is $400 per month, single $300, unlimited golf with cart and unlimited range balls, at three area courses, no initiation fee with a year commitment. Men's club is extra $99 per year I think, which get Handicapping and invites to 10 plus tournaments at the home course and some other private courses in the area. No pool, no tennis, no bar, basic food and adult beverages served over the counter--nothing special, grade B and overpriced. We're in Cali, so we can golf year round. The Staff is very friendly and there are several teaching pro's that have privileges there. It isn't very often that I can't get on with short notice.  I live across the street and can walk to the practice tee--the one negative is that the practice tee is primarily off mats, during the spring and summer Monday and Tuesday, during the day, we can hit off the grass---I hate the mats for anything except Driver practice.

 

Based on my current golf participation I will spend more than $400, next month probably not. I think over the course of a year, and based my current rate of play it would be a wash, however, with a membership I do see my wife and I going out after work and playing 5 or 6 holes before it gets dark, and being able to get tee times farther in advance. The Club Corp membership does include some travel benefits, playing at other courses for cart fees only, and some hotel and misc travel discounts--I'm skeptical as to whether there is a any savings though. Hawaii as several courses owned by Club Corp, and Palm Springs has four, so I see that as a nice side benefit, as we go to Hawaii every year, golf there is expensive, having the Club Corp courses would mean we could golf most every day, rather than just two or three times over the course of a week.

 

So I think I'll join. But I would be interested in any comments regarding Club Corp benefits etc.

post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfly View Post

So, a bit of a twist here. My local club is what I will call quasi private, not a muni, and not a private CC. Its a course owned by Club Corp, the course is nice and well maintained, the family  membership is $400 per month, single $300, unlimited golf with cart and unlimited range balls, at three area courses, no initiation fee with a year commitment. Men's club is extra $99 per year I think, which get Handicapping and invites to 10 plus tournaments at the home course and some other private courses in the area. No pool, no tennis, no bar, basic food and adult beverages served over the counter--nothing special, grade B and overpriced. We're in Cali, so we can golf year round. The Staff is very friendly and there are several teaching pro's that have privileges there. It isn't very often that I can't get on with short notice.  I live across the street and can walk to the practice tee--the one negative is that the practice tee is primarily off mats, during the spring and summer Monday and Tuesday, during the day, we can hit off the grass---I hate the mats for anything except Driver practice.

Based on my current golf participation I will spend more than $400, next month probably not. I think over the course of a year, and based my current rate of play it would be a wash, however, with a membership I do see my wife and I going out after work and playing 5 or 6 holes before it gets dark, and being able to get tee times farther in advance. The Club Corp membership does include some travel benefits, playing at other courses for cart fees only, and some hotel and misc travel discounts--I'm skeptical as to whether there is a any savings though. Hawaii as several courses owned by Club Corp, and Palm Springs has four, so I see that as a nice side benefit, as we go to Hawaii every year, golf there is expensive, having the Club Corp courses would mean we could golf most every day, rather than just two or three times over the course of a week.

So I think I'll join. But I would be interested in any comments regarding Club Corp benefits etc.

I belong to a club corp club. They are generally good. A lot of their benefits pay for themselves, although some things are way over-priced and meant for people who are serious about spending that kind of money. Where I am the offer two things above your normal club dues:

1 - signature gold. This is $50 per month and you get great deals on other courses. Generally just cat fees, but it's always 50 miles or more away from your home club. This is so you don't always go other places for dirt cheap. A lot of people do this and play at Firestone CC and that basically pays the yearly dues with the savings. I don't have this because I have 2 small kids and basically cannot travel now. But it generally works out if you are willing to go away a bit.

2 - pittsburgh society. This is $28 per month and gets you into several places you otherwise couldn't for dining and golf. You get one 2 for 1 dinner a month at one of 7 different places, and 1 round of golf at 8 different courses for just the cart fee. If you went as a guest to any of these places, it would be $70 minimum, if you could get on. So that more than pays for itself.

If there are things like that. Run the numbers and see what you think. Club corp is pretty big. Big enough to care more about volume so there are savings to be had. The only thing is that club corp facilities tend be a bit more generic. Everything has to be done through them so that limits things like the food or tee time system because the central headquarters makes clubs go through the corporate channels. Over all they are pretty customer focused.
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsys0042 View Post

I belong to a club corp club. They are generally good. A lot of their benefits pay for themselves, although some things are way over-priced and meant for people who are serious about spending that kind of money. Where I am the offer two things above your normal club dues:

1 - signature gold. This is $50 per month and you get great deals on other courses. Generally just cat fees, but it's always 50 miles or more away from your home club. This is so you don't always go other places for dirt cheap. A lot of people do this and play at Firestone CC and that basically pays the yearly dues with the savings. I don't have this because I have 2 small kids and basically cannot travel now. But it generally works out if you are willing to go away a bit.

2 - pittsburgh society. This is $28 per month and gets you into several places you otherwise couldn't for dining and golf. You get one 2 for 1 dinner a month at one of 7 different places, and 1 round of golf at 8 different courses for just the cart fee. If you went as a guest to any of these places, it would be $70 minimum, if you could get on. So that more than pays for itself.

If there are things like that. Run the numbers and see what you think. Club corp is pretty big. Big enough to care more about volume so there are savings to be had. The only thing is that club corp facilities tend be a bit more generic. Everything has to be done through them so that limits things like the food or tee time system because the central headquarters makes clubs go through the corporate channels. Over all they are pretty customer focused.

+1 for clubcorp. I'm a member at a clubcorp club in Los Angeles and the ability to play top flight courses anywhere across the country is worth it alone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Country clubs are an american standard