or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What would you shoot at Augusta on Sunday?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What would you shoot at Augusta on Sunday? - Page 6

post #91 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post


I played some fast green courses, including ones around 11 or more.   I think it was manageable (for me).   That was my basis for saying "11 is not that fast."    I also practice putting on my kitchen floor and I bet its stimp meter measurement would be higher than any fast green a1_smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Sorry, 11 is quick, but not smoking. I played in a member/guest this past week. Greens were rolled and double cut each day. They were stimped every day and ran consistently 11.5 early in the day. Likely hit 12 by mid-afternoon. That's fast, but not stupid. Augusta will be faster, and of course will have more contour.
I agree though, faster greens are easier to putt, once you're used to them. But, and this is the point of the thread, mid-hcp players that never play on greens faster than 9ish will lose their minds until they get dialed in. And that will take some time. Not just a pre-round 15 minutes on the relatively flat practice green.
Fair enough. I should have said 11 is very fast relative to your typical private and public course.
post #92 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post


Fair enough. I should have said 11 is very fast relative to your typical private and public course.

Absolutely! c2_beer.gif
post #93 of 229

Under 100 from the tips and I'd be extremely happy.  Member tees, but same course conditions, I'd be really happy with 90 or under.

 

Given, my course strategy would be really conservative to eliminate big numbers...  I currently play pretty aggressive (it's more fun to me that way), but it actually hurts my score.  I'd play to specific yardages (which I do not do anymore) and go for center greens. 

 

....What I would really expect to shoot - 100+ in Masters Sunday conditions from either tee..... 

 

....Actually in the Masters on Sunday, playing with the pros.....   Yea, they would kick me off for slow play but if allowed to finished the round after hurting numerous patrons,  120+....   and I used to play in college lol..

post #94 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

Hilarious comment. You have to be kidding me.  Did you watch any of the Live from the Masters coverage today?  Jack Nickalus, who's obviously won more green jackets than anyone said today that they are the hardest greens to read that he's EVER played on.  He said you've never stood over more scary 3 footers in your life.  I'm going to trust his judgement more than a guy that's never played the course.  Sorry.

 

Not kidding you. I love fast sloppy greens. Just what I prefer. I would probably like Augusta greens. Sorry to say, but Jack can't speak for me. 

post #95 of 229
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Not kidding you. I love fast sloppy greens. Just what I prefer. I would probably like Augusta greens. Sorry to say, but Jack can't speak for me. 

Ha ha. Yea, the greens would be easier for you than the best guy to ever play the game. Jack can speak for you.  He's not talking about them being so hard from 3 feet because of JUST the speed.  Really, you should just stop.  You sound ridiculous. You can continue to predict what you would shoot, but to downplay the opinion of the most successful person on the planet at that course is just stupid. Sorry.  

post #96 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

Hilarious comment. You have to be kidding me.

Dude, chill. Putting is not the area where pros have a huge skill gap over others.

I noticed you've thus far ignored my post about THREE guys all breaking 90 at a U.S. Open setup.
post #97 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

Ha ha. Yea, the greens would be easier for you than the best guy to ever play the game. Jack can speak for you.  He's not talking about them being so hard from 3 feet because of JUST the speed.  Really, you should just stop.  You sound ridiculous. You can continue to predict what you would shoot, but to downplay the opinion of the most successful person on the planet at that course is just stupid. Sorry.  

 

Why not? Maybe Jack likes greens a certain way. Who knows. I wont speak for Jack. If he says they are difficult then that is fine. Maybe Jack is giving credence to it because it is Augusta. A lot of people don't like to trash talk about Augusta. I don't think it would make Jack look good to say, "Oh these greens aren't all that tough". I am sure some people like certain courses. A right handed person who fades the ball probably wouldn't like Augusta National because of how many holes required a draw. I am sure they are difficult greens. I would probably find them very challenging. I am just stating my preference for greens are ones that are fast and have more break to them. I never said I was going to go out there and one putt every hole. I just think I would like Augusta greens. 

post #98 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

Just Sunday course conditions, not pressure, tournament etc....   I'm interested in looking at people's handicaps and then what they think they would actually shoot at Augusta with a tournament setup.

 

I guess I have to start.  I'm about a 15 or 16 right now.  I honestly think I would have trouble breaking 130.  I'm thinking just of all the 4 or 5 putts I would probably hit.  :-)

 

What would you guess you could shoot?  

 

Based upon your calculations, something like 133 :whistle: 

post #99 of 229
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


Dude, chill. Putting is not the area where pros have a huge skill gap over others.

I noticed you've thus far ignored my post about THREE guys all breaking 90 at a U.S. Open setup.

I wasn't ignoring you.  What these guys shot at a different golf course is 100% irrelevant to the discussion of Augusta National.  And I completely disagree that pros don't putt a lot better than "others."   Are you kidding me?  That's what separates the winners and losers on the tour.  Tee to green stats are closer among players than any other factor on tour.  I think putting is the biggest skill gap between pros and low handicap amateurs.  

post #100 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

I wasn't ignoring you.  What these guys shot at a different golf course is 100% irrelevant to the discussion of Augusta National.

No it isn't. You're only saying that because it disagrees with you. It speaks directly to the point of what a single digit handicapper can shoot on a major championship level course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

And I completely disagree that pros don't putt a lot better than "others."   Are you kidding me?  That's what separates the winners and losers on the tour.

Sorry, but you're wrong, and you've wandered into my wheelhouse now. Kindly stop talking about this now. We understand your points. Even the ones you get wrong.

It seems as if every post you make in this thread is simply too argue with someone else. Enough. Both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

I think putting is the biggest skill gap between pros and low handicap amateurs.

So wrong.

Seriously, just way off. And off-topic for this thread, so again, please just stop.
post #101 of 229
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Why not? Maybe Jack likes greens a certain way. Who knows. I wont speak for Jack. If he says they are difficult then that is fine. Maybe Jack is giving credence to it because it is Augusta. A lot of people don't like to trash talk about Augusta. I don't think it would make Jack look good to say, "Oh these greens aren't all that tough". I am sure some people like certain courses. A right handed person who fades the ball probably wouldn't like Augusta National because of how many holes required a draw. I am sure they are difficult greens. I would probably find them very challenging. I am just stating my preference for greens are ones that are fast and have more break to them. I never said I was going to go out there and one putt every hole. I just think I would like Augusta greens. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


No it isn't. You're only saying that because it disagrees with you. It speaks directly to the point of what a single digit handicapper can shoot on a major championship level course.
Sorry, but you're wrong, and you've wandered into my wheelhouse now. Kindly stop talking about this now. We understand your points. Even the ones you get wrong.

It seems as if every post you make in this thread is simply too argue with someone else. Enough. Both of you.
So wrong.

Seriously, just way off. And off-topic for this thread, so again, please just stop.

Off topic??  You posted U.S. open scores in a thread titled, What would you shoot at Augusta??  I've been a member here long enough to know what comes next.   I have an opinion that goes against the guy that runs the site and now my posts disappear and I get a private message.  I mean come on, Erik.  Is this forum not for having opinions?  Your last responses to my posts aren't based in fact.  What's the difference?  The difference is you're in charge so you can say things like "you're wrong."  Can you factually show me that my statements are wrong?  

post #102 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

Off topic??

Yes, your constant ragging on one person is getting off topic, as are your comments about putting being a huge gap. This thread is for people to say what they think they would shoot, not to have one person ragging on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

You posted U.S. open scores in a thread titled, What would you shoot at Augusta??

They addressed the points you thought you were making, about what someone could shoot on a majors venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

I've been a member here long enough to know what comes next.   I have an opinion that goes against the guy that runs the site and now my posts disappear and I get a private message.

You clearly haven't paid very much attention, then. We don't delete posts for disagreeing (your posts are still here - duh). This is the second time I'm going to ask you to stop. I've given my reasons - and it's not "because you disagree" - I'm the last person to shy away from a debate, geez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

Your last responses to my posts aren't based in fact.

Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

Can you factually show me that my statements are wrong?  

Absolutely. Heck, I'm writing a book in the topic. And another came out last month. If you'd paid attention you'd know I don't say "you're wrong" to opinions. Just to facts. But it's off topic for this thread.
post #103 of 229
Golf Digest posted an article in June 2011 stating that the biggest difference between PGA Tour players and 0-2 handicaps is short game, i.e. chipping and putting. Since Augusta is murder around the greens, I would say 94 is a reasonable score from the professional tees for me. My short game is pathetic compared to tour players.
post #104 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

Golf Digest posted an article in June 2011 stating that the biggest difference between PGA Tour players and 0-2 handicaps is short game, which includes putting.

Nope. It's the long game. By far.

We have threads for this. This is off topic.

z8_offtopic.gif
post #105 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Nope. It's the long game. By far.

We have threads for this. This is off topic.

z8_offtopic.gif
I edited my post to make it more on topic. a2_wink.gif

But yeah, I'm going to go with short game as the biggest factor to my high score here.
post #106 of 229
Thread Starter 
Ha ha. Off topic sign posted because facts that prove my point have been sited. It's Golf Digest. Seems legit.
post #107 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

Ha ha. Off topic sign posted because facts that dont match moderator have been sited. It's Golf Digest. Seems legit.

Then do your research. Biggest gap is in full swing. Heck, driving alone almost accounts for more than EVERY shot inside 100 yards.

Last request. Restriction from thread to follow.
post #108 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

Ha ha. Off topic sign posted because facts that dont match moderator have been sited. It's Golf Digest. Seems legit.


Why so belligerent? You asked what we thought we would shoot and act like we all should have said a 130 or something.

 

If we never hit a green all day until a stroke over regulation and 3 putted every single green that would only be 108 strokes. Sorry but I just don't see where those other 22 strokes are coming from to get to 130.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What would you shoot at Augusta on Sunday?