I'm going to make this as short and simple as I can.
1. I actually filed my 2012 taxes
2. I claimed the child credit for my 2 kids
3. I claimed my wages and with-holdings from the w2 I recieved.
4. I submitted my earnings from overseas for the remaining time I spent over seas.
I should have been getting a refund but instead the IRS came back with their findings on an investigation they started.
1. They want verification that the two kids lived with me for half the tax year (but at least they said they can confirm that they are my kids with out the need for verification)
2. They want verification that I made money in the US and that there were actual with-holdings by having the company in the US send that info on letter head(apparently the w2 is not suffecient enough for them)
3. The are disallowing the value if earnings from overseas unless I provide another letter from the employer.
4. Net result? I will owe them nothing and they are not going to refund me anything
I'm not sure what planet these guys are in but I can't believe that they are serious about these things?
I guess I should just be thankfull that they didn't say I owe them anything!
For now I'm willing to forgo the refund I know they owe me just to stop dealing with them!