or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Why do people lie so much about their distance?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do people lie so much about their distance? - Page 8

post #127 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post

I realize that, but he took the measurements from the center stall, where the yardages are based from. He also took them form other stalls and they were off. Good thing I get balls cheap there, I hate going to Los Verdes to just hit balls..lol 

Could also be that the people operating the range have a limited amount of math skills too. a2_wink.gif
post #128 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


Could also be that the people operating the range have a limited amount of math skills too. a2_wink.gif

 

 

I dunno, they know how to add up money pretty well..:-$ Seriously, that range really needs to be redone. I recently saw a photo when it was new...what a difference. Owners claim they don't have the $$$$ to re do the place..

post #129 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

I pretty much flat out said one of the many reasons I'm roughly a 35 HC is because I'm inconsistent. I suppose one could say I limited that to just the tee but overall, so, to clarify, I do not consistently hit the ball well whether with woods or irons.

Overall, I feel that I have to learn how to consistently strike the ball and for those occasions when I don't, for it to be an occasion where I'm surprised rather than to have it be part of what happens at least ten times a round.

My original point was that it must be nice to hit into the green with a wedge a couple times a round. For where my game is now, I realize it's not something that is going to happen regularly and I've accepted that. For now, I would much rather play with my friends from the middle tees for bragging rights rather than to possibly have more occasions to hit my second with a wedge onto the green.

I understand that 400 yards is a long par 4. 273 is a short par 4, imo. All the other holes were in the 300 range which is what I would pretty much expect and don't think is too bad.

I only moved to the back tees because I parred several holes in a round and scored 92 from the white tees several months ago. This was before any of my great swing changes we're made by Mike and Dana, so even with my consistent but bad swing I was able to get a few pars off the easier tees.
post #130 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

I only moved to the back tees because I parred several holes in a round and scored 92 from the white tees several months ago. This was before any of my great swing changes we're made by Mike and Dana, so even with my consistent but bad swing I was able to get a few pars off the easier tees.

My lowest round last year on a par 72 was a 95, IIRC, and, for me, I played lights out. Haha.

That said, I had no notion to move from the middle tees to the back tees.

Whereas I don't have the luxury of a Mike and Dana, I have been using Evolvr the last few months and am hoping if I apply the lessons correctly, I'll see some consistency in my ball striking soon. Hopefully, instead of seeing scores between 105-115 on par 72 courses like I do now, it will lead to me seeing consistent scores in the 90-100 range by summer. At least, that's my goal. If I don't reach that goal, I'm definitely going to blame it on having to work for a living to pay bills not allowing me time to practice enough. ;)
post #131 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post


My lowest round last year on a par 72 was a 95, IIRC, and, for me, I played lights out. Haha.

That said, I had no notion to move from the middle tees to the back tees.

Whereas I don't have the luxury of a Mike and Dana, I have been using Evolvr the last few months and am hoping if I apply the lessons correctly, I'll see some consistency in my ball striking soon. Hopefully, instead of seeing scores between 105-115 on par 72 courses like I do now, it will lead to me seeing consistent scores in the 90-100 range by summer. At least, that's my goal. If I don't reach that goal, I'm definitely going to blame it on having to work for a living to pay bills not allowing me time to practice enough. ;)

 

Cool. I have confidence that you will probably make this goal or at least before the season ends.

 

Moving to the front tees will improve your confidence as well. When you are more consistently hitting your driver on your 230 yard side, then move back again.

post #132 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

Cool. I have confidence that you will probably make this goal or at least before the season ends.

Moving to the front tees will improve your confidence as well.

Haha, thanks. I'm impatient so therefore, I want to reach this goal before the end of the season!

I don't generally lack confidence so I doubt moving to the front tees will do anything in that respect. And, if I don't see myself improving, I don't believe playing off the front tees will really do anything beneficial for me.
post #133 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post


Haha, thanks. I'm impatient so therefore, I want to reach this goal before the end of the season!

I don't generally lack confidence so I doubt moving to the front tees will do anything in that respect. And, if I don't see myself improving, I don't believe playing off the front tees will really do anything beneficial for me.


If you actually hit 193 yards on average, then taking 20 to 30 yards off your approach will give you a chance to use your scoring irons more often (8i and shorter). These irons are more accurate than the longer irons.

 

As an example take a look at the course I just played:

http://www.coyotehillsgc.com/golf-tee-times/scorecard/462

 

Let's say you are on a 370 yard par 4. If you work out the math 370-193= 177, which is on the long side of a par 4 for you and would force you to use a 4 iron based upon your 140 yard 7i distance [140 (7i) + 10 + 10 + 10]. This is not easy and makes the approach much harder. On this particular course if you hit off by a few degrees on nearly all the holes and/or hit too far/short you will end up in a hazard or OB. It's far better to be within 140 yards. Also on this particular course, 157-180 yard drives off the blue tees would cost you a few penalty strokes because you do not make the forced carries. The white tees only have 50 yard carries.

 

Now, if you look at the standard "white" tees there are no holes longer than 346 yards. 346-193= 153, which would require you to only use a 7i or 6i on the longest holes and a wedge on the shorter ones.

 

When you increase your distance to 233 (your current known potential), then move back 40 yards to the back tees. Better yet, if you can drive 250 then move to the gold coyote tees.

 

There you have it.

post #134 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


If you actually hit 193 yards on average, then taking 20 to 30 yards off your approach will give you a chance to use your scoring irons more often (8i and shorter). These irons are more accurate than the longer irons.

As an example take a look at the course I just played:
http://www.coyotehillsgc.com/golf-tee-times/scorecard/462

Let's say you are on a 370 yard par 4. If you work out the math 370-193= 177, which is on the long side of a par 4 for you and would force you to use a 4 iron based upon your 140 yard 7i distance [140 (7i) + 10 + 10 + 10]. This is not easy and makes the approach much harder. On this particular course if you hit off by a few degrees on nearly all the holes and/or hit too far/short you will end up in a hazard or OB. It's far better to be within 140 yards. Also on this particular course, 157-180 yard drives off the blue tees would cost you a few penalty strokes because you do not make the forced carries. The white tees only have 50 yard carries.

Now, if you look at the standard "white" tees there are no holes longer than 346 yards. 346-193= 153, which would require you to only use a 7i or 6i on the longest holes and a wedge on the shorter ones.

When you increase your distance to 233 (your current known potential), then move back 40 yards to the back tees. Better yet, if you can drive 250 then move to the gold coyote tees.

There you have it.

Oh, I understand the philosophy of it.

I'm just saying whereas it's disappointing to put up 100+ scores, it doesn't impact my confidence.

And as I've indicated, I would much rather play with my friends from the middle tees and see who does best since we're all roughly the same skill level rather than play the funny tees to score better.

My game is what it is and I believe it will get better primarily from good practice, not from playing off the front tees.
post #135 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

Oh, I understand the philosophy of it.

I'm just saying whereas it's disappointing to put up 100+ scores, it doesn't impact my confidence.

And as I've indicated, I would much rather play with my friends from the middle tees and see who does best since we're all roughly the same skill level rather than play the funny tees to score better.

My game is what it is and I believe it will get better primarily from good practice, not from playing off the front tees.

I think the word "confidence" is part of the problem. I don't mean that your self esteem is being affected by this. I mean that when you address the ball, do you feel like you can hit the green with a full swing at any distance up to 150 yards?
post #136 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

Oh, I understand the philosophy of it.

I'm just saying whereas it's disappointing to put up 100+ scores, it doesn't impact my confidence.

And as I've indicated, I would much rather play with my friends from the middle tees and see who does best since we're all roughly the same skill level rather than play the funny tees to score better.

My game is what it is and I believe it will get better primarily from good practice, not from playing off the front tees.

The challenges of the tee it forward program....

A lot of dudes just refuse to play from those red tees... Lol.

I play with women a lot so no chance of ever playing short tees, they all have fit and tell me to go back to my own tee box.

On the other hand, I know better than to tee up on reds with my friends around....
post #137 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchshot View Post

The challenges of the tee it forward program....

A lot of dudes just refuse to play from those red tees... Lol.

I play with women a lot so no chance of ever playing short tees, they all have fit and tell me to go back to my own tee box.

On the other hand, I know better than to tee up on reds with my friends around....

Yes, but your handicap tells me you have the "confidence" you need to play harder tees.
post #138 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

I think the word "confidence" is part of the problem. I don't mean that your self esteem is being affected by this. I mean that when you address the ball, do you feel like you can hit the green with a full swing at any distance up to 150 yards?

Maybe I'm not being truthful with myself, but, yes, I feel when addressing the ball, no matter the shot, the result that I want is what's going to happen except for when I take the two practice swings I take before hitting the shot, "don't feel right." But as to not slow people up, I still take the shot, however, on those shots, I'm not surprised if I hit the ball fat or thin and that has nothing to do with which club I'm using, be it a 5i it PW.
post #139 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchshot View Post


The challenges of the tee it forward program....

A lot of dudes just refuse to play from those red tees... Lol.

I play with women a lot so no chance of ever playing short tees, they all have fit and tell me to go back to my own tee box.

On the other hand, I know better than to tee up on reds with my friends around....

 

I have a female friend of mine who plays a few times a year and she refuses to play from the front tees because, to her, it's an equality issue.

 

I've only played with her once on a non-executive course.  I wonder if I offered to play from the front tees if she'd be more amendable to playing from those tees or not.

post #140 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post


Maybe I'm not being truthful with myself, but, yes, I feel when addressing the ball, no matter the shot, the result that I want is what's going to happen except for when I take the two practice swings I take before hitting the shot, "don't feel right." But as to not slow people up, I still take the shot, however, on those shots, I'm not surprised if I hit the ball fat or thin and that has nothing to do with which club I'm using, be it a 5i it PW.

 

As you get more solid ball striking, you'll get it. Before that, it's just like a shot in the dark. I didn't get this until recently, so I just sharing my experience with you.

 

You're in good company, anyway. Most of us men play the second to the furthest back tees or even the tips, because we lack the self esteem to play it forward.

 

 

 

 

Back on topic, now I'm getting why so many people "lie" about their distances. I know I did when I started this forum a year and a half ago, but it was a misconception in my case. I had no idea how far I really hit. My 260 was probably more like 180.

post #141 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

As you get more solid ball striking, you'll get it. Before that, it's just like a shot in the dark. I didn't get this until recently, so I just sharing my experience with you.

 

You're in good company, anyway. Most of us men play the second to the furthest back tees or even the tips, because we lack the self esteem to play it forward.

 

 

 

 

Back on topic, now I'm getting why so many people "lie" about their distances. I know I did when I started this forum a year and a half ago, but it was a misconception in my case. I had no idea how far I really hit 260 was probably more like 180.

 

Yeah, that's my overall goal - more solid ball striking.  Man, it certainly feels great when it happens!

 

Self esteem, comrade, or, as @clutchshot alluded to, ridicule from our peers. ;)

 

I've always used a GPS so I had an idea of how far I hit but that, of course, measures carry and roll.  I was never able to really deduce on a fairly flat surface, how much of it was carry and how much of it was roll.

post #142 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

Yeah, that's my overall goal - more solid ball striking.  Man, it certainly feels great when it happens!

 

Self esteem, comrade, or, as @clutchshot alluded to, ridicule from our peers. ;)

 

I've always used a GPS so I had an idea of how far I hit but that, of course, measures carry and roll.  I was never able to really deduce on a fairly flat surface, how much of it was carry and how much of it was roll.

 

That's everyone's goal. The first step is to know when you are actually striking solidly.

post #143 of 176

Like the others I agree that we remember and talk about the good ones.  I normally hit it 220-240 but have had some roll out to 300.  In the end 300 is what I say not 230 air and 70 on the ground.  Although with my ball flight, the harder the ground the longer the drive.

post #144 of 176

The tee-it-forward thing is kind of funny. I'm definitely not good, so the tips aren't even a thought. However, I'd never consider playing from the ladies tees either. White tees only for me. That, of course, works better on some courses than others.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Why do people lie so much about their distance?