or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Bubba Watson....Fan or not a fan?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bubba Watson....Fan or not a fan? - Page 13

Poll Results: Bubba - fan or not ??

 
  • 70% (112)
    Yes
  • 29% (46)
    No
158 Total Votes  
post #217 of 249

Sorry guys. I'm an idiot. 

 

This is the link to the WSJ article about other pros who claimed to have no lessons: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703730804576321120772595378

 

I was reading both at the time and copied and pasted the wrong one :doh: 

 

 

What's interesting about Jim Herman (mentioned in the article) is he's kind of a local legend around where I'm from. He was the head instructor at Trump National in Colts Neck, NJ (where Mario Bevalaqua also used to teach) and Trump invested in Herman's golf career by paying his expenses on the mini-tours. 

 

I didn't know he was a natural too, but I would often hear stories about how incredible he was from random people in the area. 

post #218 of 249
Thread Starter 

well, my suspscion when starting this thread has been realized.      I was certain Bubba is a polarizing fellow.      I am a bit surprised on how lopsided the poll was though - more Bubba love than I thought there would be ...

post #219 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistersclubs View Post
 

I Am DEFINITELY A BIG FAN Of Bubba Watson!! Not Only Is He An Immensely Talented Golfer, But He Is Not Afraid To Proclaim To The World How Blessed By God He Is, In ALL PARTS Of His Life, Not Just Golf!!

In A Time Where It Has Become Almost "Politically Incorrect" To Make Known Your Allegiance To Christianity, I Find It Refreshing To Find A Professional Athlete Who Is PROUD To Make His Devotion And Thanks KNOWN TO ALL!!

Does This Make Him A "Thumper", As Some Have Said?? I Don't Think So . It Simply Means That He Has A Solid Upbringing, Along With A Strong Faith, And He Isn't Afraid To Let The World Know It!!

You Don't Have To Agree With His Style, But At Least Give Him Credit For Being Proud Of Who He Is, And From Whence He Came!! A Lot Of Folks Didn't Agree With Payne Stewart's Style Either, But You Had To Give Him Credit For Having A Style Of His Own!!

GO BUBBA!!

 

Why am I not surprised by the odd and random capitalization.  I find "faith" to be a character flaw.  If you know something to be true you have no use for faith.  Bubba is a good golfer but I was cheering hardcore for Jordan Spieth.  

post #220 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargaze View Post
 

 

Why am I not surprised by the odd and random capitalization.  I find "faith" to be a character flaw.  If you know something to be true you have no use for faith.  Bubba is a good golfer but I was cheering hardcore for Jordan Spieth.  

 

So you have no "trust" then correct? The foundation of all faith is trust. A trust in a belief in something that has yet to be proven or disproven. Faith in God might be a blind trust, but to discount faith in of it self is not a wise choice. So much of what makes life good is entrenched in faith. The whole interaction and building of relationships is built on faith. 

 

Ok don't continue this discussion here, majorly off topic. I wont respond past this response on this subject. MY BAD!!  :doh: :offtopic: 

post #221 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

So you have no "trust" then correct? The foundation of all faith is trust. A trust in a belief in something that has yet to be proven or disproven. Faith in God might be a blind trust, but to discount faith in of it self is not a wise choice. So much of what makes life good is entrenched in faith. The whole interaction and building of relationships is built on faith. 

OT follow-up (Click to show)
I disagree. I trust my friends because they've shown to me that they can be trustworthy. They've proven it to me, it's not blind. I trust them because I have evidence that they've trustworthy.

You can have as much religious faith as you want, you still can't prove any of it.

(BTW, I mean the generic "you," not seavel25 specifically. I don't expect you to prove religion. a3_biggrin.gif)
post #222 of 249

keeping on topic: Bubba is Bubba. You are you. I am me. Character "flaws" as previously stated, are inherently individual,and should remain that way. Do I like Bubba? yes. Do I like his attitude ? irellevant. I was drawn to Golf by the image of the game, not the players involved. It has been and always will be about the GAME, not the players.,as the players are NOT the game. Time for all golfers to focus on the game and how we can grow it, instead of spouting why we love/hate a certain player or players. As for Religion,God owns the Earth, including every course under the Sun, and should never be eliminated from them. He gives the ability..He gives the finances to pursue.. He provides the scenery...He provides the weather(altho not exclusively)...He also provides the health to pursue. Courses are not church buildings with pews,however, that doesn't mean players can't acknowledge the previous facts stated ON the course. the 1st Ammend. gives anyone that right. As for how Bubba talks to his caddie, that's between him and his caddie,noone else. Bubba is NOT perfect, nor can he walk on water.Remember that and this: "Judge NOT lest Ye be Judged". that's clear enough for me.

post #223 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonWedgeMan View Post
 

keeping on topic: Bubba is Bubba. You are you. I am me. Character "flaws" as previously stated, are inherently individual,and should remain that way. Do I like Bubba? yes. Do I like his attitude ? irellevant. I was drawn to Golf by the image of the game, not the players involved. It has been and always will be about the GAME, not the players.,as the players are NOT the game. Time for all golfers to focus on the game and how we can grow it, instead of spouting why we love/hate a certain player or players. As for Religion,God owns the Earth, including every course under the Sun, and should never be eliminated from them. He gives the ability..He gives the finances to pursue.. He provides the scenery...He provides the weather(altho not exclusively)...He also provides the health to pursue. Courses are not church buildings with pews,however, that doesn't mean players can't acknowledge the previous facts stated ON the course. the 1st Ammend. gives anyone that right. As for how Bubba talks to his caddie, that's between him and his caddie,noone else. Bubba is NOT perfect, nor can he walk on water.Remember that and this: "Judge NOT lest Ye be Judged". that's clear enough for me.

 

No one is perfect.

post #224 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

No one is perfect.

 

 

yep,but some think they're close,tho....;-)

post #225 of 249

well in an interview he mentioned he cries. So I forgave him and became a fan. I have a hard time dealing with sports and emotional discharge. But he admitted it and that made me feel better about him. i'd probably cry too if I had that payday...Go Bubba!

post #226 of 249

People have the right to dislike Bubba because of how he continually gives praise and glory to God.  That's the purpose of the pole - (Are you a fan or not?).  You can't tell someone they are wrong for disliking Bubba for what ever reason - It asked for your opinion and you are entitled to .  If you like Bubba because of his faith, would it change your mind if he said "Glory be to Allah"?... Would it change your perception if he promoted his belief in a different religion or Muslim?  It shouldn't be hard no matter what side of the fence you are on to understand how some people could get tired of religion being pushed in their face...

 

That said, I'm a huge Bubba fan!  I like the way he plays and he can give all glory to God or whoever...

post #227 of 249

Yet, I am a Bubba fan and I can't stand the whole give praise to God stuff. I am not an atheist, just always found it off putting. 

post #228 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonWedgeMan View Post
 

God owns the Earth, including every course under the Sun, and should never be eliminated from them. He gives the ability..He gives the finances to pursue.. He provides the scenery...He provides the weather(altho not exclusively)...He also provides the health to pursue. Courses are not church buildings with pews,however, that doesn't mean players can't acknowledge the previous facts stated ON the course. the 1st Ammend. gives anyone that right. 

Sorry, but these are not facts. They are the absolute opposite of facts.

Faith in this context is a willingness to believe in something in the absence of reason or logic. There is nothing in the history of humankind to support the existence of a deity. Were there, it would be a fact and there would be no controversy.

 

As another poster mentioned - what will the response be when a muslim golfer wins and gives praise to Allah? Will they be praised for professing their faith in public? I'd love to find out.

 

Also, as has been stated a million times, people who believe in something which has no basis in reality or logic do not get to ask others to disprove it. Logic and basic intelligence do this.

 

Can I prove that there is not a cave with a bearded man with magical powers in it a mile under my house? No. But I think it's highly unlikely :-)

Oscar Pistorius is a devout Christian. Consider that when assuming that a person with faith is a "good" person.

post #229 of 249

Was a hater once...became a fan after I realized that Bubba is a flawed human being and I forgave him for that !

post #230 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

Sorry, but these are not facts. They are the absolute opposite of facts.

Faith in this context is a willingness to believe in something in the absence of reason or logic. There is nothing in the history of humankind to support the existence of a deity. Were there, it would be a fact and there would be no controversy.

 

As another poster mentioned - what will the response be when a muslim golfer wins and gives praise to Allah? Will they be praised for professing their faith in public? I'd love to find out.

 

Also, as has been stated a million times, people who believe in something which has no basis in reality or logic do not get to ask others to disprove it. Logic and basic intelligence do this.

 

Can I prove that there is not a cave with a bearded man with magical powers in it a mile under my house? No. But I think it's highly unlikely :-)

Oscar Pistorius is a devout Christian. Consider that when assuming that a person with faith is a "good" person.

you have a right to your belief, that does NOT make it correct. When you PROVE that mankind was made from the "Big Bang", then you'll have my attention. AFAIC, that theory takes more "faith" than what I've stated.!

post #231 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

Yet, I am a Bubba fan and I can't stand the whole give praise to God stuff. I am not an atheist, just always found it off putting. 

talk about oxymoron??

post #232 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonWedgeMan View Post

talk about oxymoron??

Not really.
post #233 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonWedgeMan View Post
 

you have a right to your belief, that does NOT make it correct. When you PROVE that mankind was made from the "Big Bang", then you'll have my attention. AFAIC, that theory takes more "faith" than what I've stated.!

:offtopic:  Please focus on the topic.

post #234 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonWedgeMan View Post
 

you have a right to your belief, that does NOT make it correct. When you PROVE that mankind was made from the "Big Bang", then you'll have my attention. AFAIC, that theory takes more "faith" than what I've stated.!

I find it incredible that in 2014 there are people who can totally ignore overwhelming proof of something and cling to a nonsensical "belief" that was held by people a one and a half thousand years before a lot of people stopped believing that the earth was flat.

This is why a lot of people find the likes of you and Bubba hard to cope with. It's why some will admire his golf game but are "not a fan".

 

No point discussing anything further with you. The onus is on you to prove what you believe. Should be easy to do.:whistle: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Bubba Watson....Fan or not a fan?