or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (14ledo81)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (14ledo81) - Page 3

post #37 of 213
Yes can't you ? First thing I notice when I teach it's funny how when u loosen the pressure it accually helps a draw shot
post #38 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by prooneday View Post

Yes can't you ? First thing I notice when I teach it's funny how when u loosen the pressure it accually helps a draw shot

 

And yet… PGA Tour players grip the club more firmly than amateur golfers. They also hold that pressure more consistently throughout their swings.

post #39 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by prooneday View Post

Yes can't you ? First thing I notice when I teach it's funny how when u loosen the pressure it accually helps a draw shot

 

Still how do you know his grip is too tight? All you state is that you can, but you never stated how. If you can, then tell us what in the video shows he has a tight grip.

post #40 of 213
Thread Starter 

@iacas  and @saevel25 ,  Thanks for the input.  Back to the drawing board on the posture for me.  I will get it right.  I will work on this again and post more vids when I see improvement.  Thanks again.

post #41 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

@iacas  and @saevel25 ,  Thanks for the input.  Back to the drawing board on the posture for me.  I will get it right.  I will work on this again and post more vids when I see improvement.  Thanks again.

 

Use a mirror. Ignore any funny looks from your wife while brushing your teeth, etc.

post #42 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

Still how do you know his grip is too tight? All you state is that you can, but you never stated how. If you can, then tell us what in the video shows he has a tight grip.
Yes your right on that they have tighter grips that most amatures but softer wrists arms etc just trying to help the guy out with the week push
post #43 of 213
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

@iacas  and @saevel25 ,  Thanks for the input.  Back to the drawing board on the posture for me.  I will get it right.  I will work on this again and post more vids when I see improvement.  Thanks again.

 

Use a mirror. Ignore any funny looks from your wife while brushing your teeth, etc.

 

True.  She already has been asking how long the mirror has to be in the living room.

 

I will not give in....I will not give in.....

post #44 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

True.  She already has been asking how long the mirror has to be in the living room.

I will not give in....I will not give in.....
Stick to your guns! They give up eventually.
post #45 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

Stick to your guns! They give up eventually.
Just gotta wear 'em down. A slow, steady grind.
post #46 of 213
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

Here are a couple of videos I took while at the range this past weekend.  Posture definitely looks better, but certainly feels different.  It is starting to feel more comfortable as I practice it more though.  At address it feels....for lack of a better word...restricted??  Like there does not feel like there is enough room to get the hands through?  Maybe this is just because it is something different than I am used to though.

 

When I look at frame-by-frame of the FO it appears to me that I have a pretty decent flip going on.  Probably does not help with contact, and I suppose could be the cause of my fats and thins.

 

Also, does anybody have any thoughts on the restricted follow through?  This does not happen with a practice swing.  Definitely a mental block related to hitting a ball.  I think I will take some videos of this sometime.

 

As before, I appreciate any help.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

Stand closer to the ball, and stand up more. A good drill for this would be stand about 4 inches from a wall facing away. Then get into your golf stance. Your butt should barely be touching the all. 

 

So you want the no arch in the lower back. Rounded upper back. Your butt shouldn't be more than about 4 inches from the back of your heels. 

 

 

 

You on the left, Rory on the right. 

 

Just looked at this again.  No wonder it felt restricted.  It seems obvious now.  Goes to show how little I know.  Once again, the more I learn about the swing, I am reminded of how little I know.  Never ceases to amaze me.

post #47 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

 

 

Just looked at this again.  No wonder it felt restricted.  It seems obvious now.  Goes to show how little I know.  Once again, the more I learn about the swing, I am reminded of how little I know.  Never ceases to amaze me.

 

I think it's more of a feel isn't real scenario. Unless you are able to give yourself visual feedback as to what you are doing, all you have is feel. That doesn't always line up with expectations. Don't be too hard on yourself here. 

post #48 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

I think it's more of a feel isn't real scenario. Unless you are able to give yourself visual feedback as to what you are doing, all you have is feel. That doesn't always line up with expectations. Don't be too hard on yourself here. 


Agree on not being able to rely on feeling. Went to the range last night and "felt" I was doing something, but video evidence slapped me in the face.

post #49 of 213
Thread Starter 

Still working on posture.  I would have thought I could have nailed down a static position piece quicker.

 

 

5 iron DTL

 

 

 

5 iron FO

 

 

 

 

 

I also thought I would post a couple of practice swing videos.  As you can see I am able to make a smoother swing without the ball.  I realize this does not really mean anything.  At minimum, it shows some how different a practice swing can be from a real one.

 

5 iron DTL - practice

 

 

 

5 iron FO - practice

 

 

 

On a side note, when I look at the practice swings, I see less flip.  From my untrained eyes, it appears I am hitting better positions in the swing as well.  If my swing changes so much when hitting a ball, how would slow swings, position swings, drills, etc. without hitting a ball help me?  Is this a normal mental block?  Do many others fight this as much as I do?

post #50 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
On a side note, when I look at the practice swings, I see less flip.  From my untrained eyes, it appears I am hitting better positions in the swing as well.  If my swing changes so much when hitting a ball, how would slow swings, position swings, drills, etc. without hitting a ball help me?  Is this a normal mental block?  Do many others fight this as much as I do?

 

I haven't recorded my swing without a ball, but I fight the flip as well. I think it's my right hand pushing the club down the line to make it go straight. I might have to record some practice swings to see. As far as how to fix it, can't provide much help there.

post #51 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

On a side note, when I look at the practice swings, I see less flip.  From my untrained eyes, it appears I am hitting better positions in the swing as well.  If my swing changes so much when hitting a ball, how would slow swings, position swings, drills, etc. without hitting a ball help me?  Is this a normal mental block?  Do many others fight this as much as I do?

Posture and everything is better.

 

 

What flip?  You don't really have a flip that I see when hitting balls.  If you are talking about this image looking "flipping" fantastic then OK I get it.  :-D  A flip is not your concern right now.

 

You have one of the most amazing swings for an 18hc that many of us have ever seen.

 

post #52 of 213
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

On a side note, when I look at the practice swings, I see less flip.  From my untrained eyes, it appears I am hitting better positions in the swing as well.  If my swing changes so much when hitting a ball, how would slow swings, position swings, drills, etc. without hitting a ball help me?  Is this a normal mental block?  Do many others fight this as much as I do?

Posture and everything is better.

 

 

What flip?  You don't really have a flip that I see when hitting balls.  If you are talking about this image looking "flipping" fantastic then OK I get it.  :-D  A flip is not your concern right now.

 

You have one of the most amazing swings for an 18hc that many of us have ever seen.

 

 

 

I think that one actually looks a bit better on the follow through because I fatted it a bit, and took a decent divot.

 

I appreciate the kind words.  When I look at my swing, it appears to look ok to me as well.  That is why I get so frustrated at times.  I still have very inconsistent contact (fats, thins, etc.).  This causes me to hit my 5 iron about 160.  On the rare occasion (when the stars align) when I hit it clean with a decent flight pattern, I gain 20 yards on that.  I would just like to make this more consistent.  As I have said before, I hit it short, but relatively straight.  On my home course there is hardly any forced carries.  Due to this, I can play from the 6000 yard tees, and still score in the 80's.  

 

I guess what I would really like to do is clean up my ball striking so I could have decent distances.  That would enable me to play from longer tees.  

 

I know this game is really hard so maybe I am asking to much of myself.  It just does not seem out of the realm of possibility that I would have the ability to carry a 5 iron 180 and a Driver 240.  I would be very happy with that.  

post #53 of 213
Thread Starter 

I played last weekend.  27 holes.  I was hitting very bad on the front nine.  No greens, (1) OB tee shot, scored 48.  Starting on the back nine, I made slight adjustment that started to work.  It kept getting better as the back nine went on.  I actually hit (3) greens in a row.  I hit 15,16,17, and just missed a long narrow green on 18 by a few feet.

 

I played the back nine again (it is the easier of the two on my home course).  I hit 5 greens (the most I have ever hit), and scored a 41.  If I can keep this up, the handicap should be dropping.

 

One other thing, when I started hitting the ball better on the back, I was carrying my short irons the following distances:  8iron - 140-145, 9iron - 125-130, PW - 115.  I could also easily see where my drives were landing due to the wet conditions.  The better driver were carrying 210.  Most were closer to 200.  Granted it was cold, but it seems to me, if I could carry my 8iron 140, I should be able to hit the driver a bit farther.  I took some video and noticed I flip more with the Driver, maybe this is why I am not hitting it very far.  I was getting a decent push draw ball flight with good trajectory though.

 

6 iron DTL

 

 

 

6 iron FO

 

 

 

Driver DTL

 

 

 

Driver FO

 

 

 

 

I have still been working on posture.  Any thoughts on the progress there?  Does it appear that I should move on to something else?

 

It looks to me like my head is still moving a bit, not sure if it is enough to make it a priority right now though.

 

As always, any help is appreciated.

post #54 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

 

 

I played the back nine again (it is the easier of the two on my home course).  I hit 5 greens (the most I have ever hit), and scored a 41.  If I can keep this up, the handicap should be dropping.

 

 

Yep keep this up, good stuff

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

 

 

I have still been working on posture.  Any thoughts on the progress there?  Does it appear that I should move on to something else?

 

It looks to me like my head is still moving a bit, not sure if it is enough to make it a priority right now though.

 

As always, any help is appreciated.

 

 

With the driver set-up, weight is too far back on the heels, note how far away you are compared to the right pic. If I was to gently push your chest, you would lose your balance.

 

Also check out the right arm positions. Your right arm is super rigid and above your left, in the right pic, arm is "hanging" more and the right arm is slightly below to even with the left. You do this with your 6 iron as well.

 

- Get the weight even with you feet, for you it will probably feel more towards the toes.

- Soften the right arm

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (14ledo81)