or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What is the most GIR you have ever hit in a round?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the most GIR you have ever hit in a round?

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 
My best was 16... And I shot a measly 73 that day. My average last year was 11.

How many greens did you hit on your best day? And how many do you normally hit?
post #2 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

My best was 16... And I shot a measly 73 that day. My average last year was 11.

How many greens did you hit on your best day? And how many do you normally hit?

 

11 average is outstanding!

 

I'm not much of a stats guy.....probably something like 14 for my best ever.  Usually around 7-8ish.  Results in a scoring average that usually runs in the 79-81 range.

post #3 of 51

I hit all 18 at Whispering Woods Golf Club. Two of the par fives I hit in two.

post #4 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I hit all 18 at Whispering Woods Golf Club. Two of the par fives I hit in two.
Wow, you rarely see tour players do that! What did you shoot that day?
post #5 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

Wow, you rarely see tour players do that! What did you shoot that day?

 

64. During the Forward Tees experiment (5298 yards). Still… I'll take it. :)

 

The most I've hit playing a course over 6500 yards is 17. I shot 68 that day, including a three-putt on a really long putt after I punched out from some crap onto the very front of a green. The greens in northwestern PA (and the whole NE of the U.S.) tend to be pretty small. It's pretty easy to get 13, 14 FGIR (Fringes + GIR) but still only have 8 actual GIR. It's tough to have days, even on 6600 yard courses, where you hit too many GIR.

post #6 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

64. During the Forward Tees experiment (5298 yards). Still… I'll take it. :)

The most I've hit playing a course over 6500 yards is 17. I shot 68 that day, including a three-putt on a really long putt after I punched out from some crap onto the very front of a green. The greens in northwestern PA (and the whole NE of the U.S.) tend to be pretty small. It's pretty easy to get 13, 14 FGIR (Fringes + GIR) but still only have 8 actual GIR. It's tough to have days, even on 6600 yard courses, where you hit too many GIR.
Makes sense. The course I play at has very large greens. Some are harder to miss than hit. b2_tongue.gif There's a Par 3 that plays 135 yards from the back tees, and the green is huge.
post #7 of 51

Never impressive enough for me to remember how many (and I never kept track).

 

On my typical "good rounds" I probably hit 8 to 10 greens and most of the rest are on or just off of the fringes.

 

My typical bad rounds are much uglier than that.

 

The only time I ever played where it was easy enough to remember I only played 8 holes before it got dark. On that day I hit all  8 greens and made 7 birdies and the longest birdie putt was less than 8 feet. Actually my one 2 putt was from about 4 feet on the second hole.

 

No clue what was going on that day because nothing like that has ever happened to me since. I was working on hitting fades that day and I normally hit draws but even trying that again didn't have the same results so... the only answer is luck. 

 

Just wish the best golf I ever played would have come on a day when I was playing a full round instead of 8 holes. ;-)

post #8 of 51

My personal record is also 16, which resulted in a very good round for me. My average is usually between 11-12. I had a full season worth of stats tracked for last year and my average floated around 11.6 I believe, but my computer crashed and I lost it all which is a bummer.

post #9 of 51

I quit keeping track a couple of years back when I discovered that there was little correlation between GIRs and my final score.  But I think best I ever did at over 6,000 yards was 15 GIRs as I recall. In my case my final score seem to relate to my "off the tee performance", not necessarily Fairways hit but playable, and "putting performance".

post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghalfaire View Post
 

I quit keeping track a couple of years back when I discovered that there was little correlation between GIRs and my final score.  But I think best I ever did at over 6,000 yards was 15 GIRs as I recall. In my case my final score seem to relate to my "off the tee performance", not necessarily Fairways hit but playable, and "putting performance".

 

Hmm, I find that interesting because my score seems to be a direct link to my GIR %. Rounds that I hit a lot of GIR's, I score very well. Rounds that I miss most greens, I don't. I believe that I'm decent at scrambling for pars, but they are so much easier when you have a birdie putt instead of having to get up and down.

post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
 

 

Hmm, I find that interesting because my score seems to be a direct link to my GIR %. Rounds that I hit a lot of GIR's, I score very well. Rounds that I miss most greens, I don't. I believe that I'm decent at scrambling for pars, but they are so much easier when you have a birdie putt instead of having to get up and down.

I can only answer that with it surprised me too.  But the numbers are the numbers and I found that the strongest correlation was keeping the ball playable off the tee (I now hit 3 woods and 3 irons off tees on tight fairways).  This often leaves me with missed, not by a lot, of greens.  But I have a reasonable short game from inside of 20 yards or so and often get down in 2 and sometimes 1.  So my scores are better when I don't have shots on the score card that I didn't get to swing at and/or chips back to the fairway; e.g. towardance is more important than furtherance in the final score for me.  However, in a never ending effort to become a better golfer,  this may change for me as the last couple of months I have been taking lessons and my "duck hook propensity" is greatly diminished and I am now getting better with the big stick and using it more on the course.  So maybe time to re-evaluate the GIR and final score correlations.

post #12 of 51
Looking through a few years of stats ... Best I can find is a round of 16/18 GIR. Hit every fairway, two-putted every single green, shot 72, +1.
post #13 of 51

Been keeping stats for a couple of years now, and the most GIR I've had has been 11, which I've done 3 or 4 times.  My average is just under 7 per round, however, I've played several rounds at an easy par 3 course that have skewed that number in my favor.  My average is probably closer to 6.

post #14 of 51

15 of 18 is the best I have managed.  My average tends to be around 7-8.

post #15 of 51

Best i have ever had was 10 and I normally average around 3-4 per round

post #16 of 51

I've had several rounds recently with 15/18GIR, I don't know what my record is though.  It's annoying to think that you get so many GIR but can't get many "nice birdie chances."  I remember about 10 years ago, I got the best advice/cool fact from a random guy I was playing with.   He said the difference between pros and minor pros is that the pros don't necessarily get more GIR, they just get the ball closer to the hole more often the others, giving more birdie opportunities.  It is only a matter of a few strokes at that level, and the more birdie opportunities give you those extra strokes. 

post #17 of 51

The most I've hit is probably around 13, but cut that in half and you'll have my average. The distance is never an issue for me, as it I assume it is not for most people, however I'm usually around the green due to accuracy issues. I'd like to keep track of more stats this year. I have a bad habit of slacking off near the end of June where I'm only tracking putts and score.

post #18 of 51
I had one amazing day at a short course with big greens and hit 10. This was before I ever broke 90, and that included that day (which included two tens and many three-putts). My best in what I'd consider my "semi-skilled" era was 8, although produced a far better score than the outlier mentioned.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What is the most GIR you have ever hit in a round?