or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › Refinished / refurbished vs new balls
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Refinished / refurbished vs new balls - Page 2

post #19 of 35
For the best of both worlds between brand spanking new and refurbished Russian Roulette, I go for the Practice Balls that I can find from TaylorMade. Brand new Lethal or Penta balls for $19.99 just because they say PRACTICE on them.


BTW, @Ernest Jones Why do you play the DT Solos? Have you tried the Top Flite Gamer v2? Much, MUCH better ball, IMHO for the price range.
post #20 of 35

The ball/club or any other equipment is not really going to make that much difference for us higher handicap players. The last trip you went to the driving range would probably demonstrate this. Most of any variance in the ball flight and landing position is due to your swing/ball striking, and not the ball.

post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm70056 View Post
 

I have made the switch to Pro V1s this year and have been experimenting.

 

I started off buying OEM Pro V1s and obviously I got the best balls with this. I then began experimenting with X-outs and refurbished balls.

 

I could definitely notice a difference when comparing the OEM ball to a refurbished ball. The refurbished ball just does not have the some consistency from ball to ball. I am sure that this is because you are not getting the same year, model, or run of ball like your getting in the OEM package. The refurbished balls gave me a bad impression and it only took 1 dozen to decide I wouldn't buy them again.

 

I then switched to the OEM X-Outs and had pretty good results. I have bought 4 dozen X-Outs so far and I only found 1 tiny paint imperfection on 2-3 balls. Most of the balls could pass as brand new mint condition. The X-Outs played very well for me and are very consistent. My only complaint with the X-Outs is I'm never sure what's going to be in the sleeves. I have gotten Pro V1 and Pro V1X.

 

I prefer to play a Pro V1 over the V1X and feel I have noticeably different results with each ball, so I am thinking about just sticking with the OEM packages of Pro V1. I may continue with the X-Outs since they are usually less than $30, but only for practice rounds.

 

When I am playing a serious round, I ALWAYS want to put an OEM Pro V1 in play.

I had heard from "an informed source" that the manufacturing process for golf balls is so consistent that X-Outs are actually just a percentage of first runs that are set aside as (for lack of a better word) marketing purposes.  There are some cosmetic flaws in the process but any balls that are actually flawed are tossed away.  I'd like to hear from others who might be in the know but the numbers I heard were less than 1 in 1 million balls was actually "bad".

post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthduffer View Post
 

I had heard from "an informed source" that the manufacturing process for golf balls is so consistent that X-Outs are actually just a percentage of first runs that are set aside as (for lack of a better word) marketing purposes.  There are some cosmetic flaws in the process but any balls that are actually flawed are tossed away. ... 

X-outs would be a reliable buy, but I would be cautious about buying refurbished golf balls.

 

Here in the USA, one can find good prices on golf balls at "Golf Expo" fairs. Golf ball brokers will have big bins of balls, sorted by brand. You can pick the ones you like out of a bin, and often get them for 50-60% of the price of new balls. Often you will have recovered balls and X-out equivalents (they just don't have XXX on the ball). Or, you may find a bin full of new balls from an out-of-business golf resort.

post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

For the best of both worlds between brand spanking new and refurbished Russian Roulette, I go for the Practice Balls that I can find from TaylorMade. Brand new Lethal or Penta balls for $19.99 just because they say PRACTICE on them.


BTW, @Ernest Jones Why do you play the DT Solos? Have you tried the Top Flite Gamer v2? Much, MUCH better ball, IMHO for the price range.
Totally agree, but they are very hard to come across in Canada for some reason and I have yet to see them on my regular supplier's site. I have only one company I can use or I lose all savings on shipping fees. Canada has insanely hot chicks but we're still a borderline third world country in some regards.
b2_tongue.gif
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

For the best of both worlds between brand spanking new and refurbished Russian Roulette, I go for the Practice Balls that I can find from TaylorMade. Brand new Lethal or Penta balls for $19.99 just because they say PRACTICE on them.


You do know that you're not supposed to play with "practice" balls right? I've played with a few, and they are awful. I feel like they are just spheres meant to be hit for the sake of practice. It's almost as if there is nothing that goes into the ball. I have not gotten any good spin nor feel around the greens with practice balls. Do as you will, but I would stay away.

post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post


You do know that you're not supposed to play with "practice" balls right? I've played with a few, and they are awful. I feel like they are just spheres meant to be hit for the sake of practice. It's almost as if there is nothing that goes into the ball. I have not gotten any good spin nor feel around the greens with practice balls. Do as you will, but I would stay away.

You do know that practice balls are literally the same ball but with the word "practice" stamped on them?

Are you confusing them with range balls? If you're not confusing practice balls with range balls then you don't really know what you're talking about.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Totally agree, but they are very hard to come across in Canada for some reason and I have yet to see them on my regular supplier's site. I have only one company I can use or I lose all savings on shipping fees. Canada has insanely hot chicks but we're still a borderline third world country in some regards.
b2_tongue.gif

How often do you come down to 'Merica?
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

How often do you come down to 'Merica?
As little as possible!
d4_w00t.gif
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post


You do know that practice balls are literally the same ball but with the word "practice" stamped on them?

Are you confusing them with range balls? If you're not confusing practice balls with range balls then you don't really know what you're talking about.


No. I was told any ball with the word PRACTICE printed on it is not supposed to be played. You're also not supposed to curse, which I do every other hole! haha. Also, I didn't say that they in fact are not the same, I said that "I feel". It might just be the fact that I am seeing the word practice on my ball.

post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post


No. I was told any ball with the word PRACTICE printed on it is not supposed to be played. You're also not supposed to curse, which I do every other hole! haha. Also, I didn't say that they in fact are not the same, I said that "I feel". It might just be the fact that I am seeing the word practice on my ball.

I can assure you, there's no difference. In fact, they are approved for tournament play, whereas the X Outs are not approved. Who told you that you aren't supposed to use them?
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post


I can assure you, there's no difference. In fact, they are approved for tournament play, whereas the X Outs are not approved. Who told you that you aren't supposed to use them?


The tournament manager at Longwood Golf Course in Houston, TX. I had to go into the pro-shop and buy a sleeve of balls. I have a feeling you are talking about the practice balls that are administered for a professional tournament. I have a buddy who has worked the Houston Shell Open many times and he said those are actual Pro V1x that they stamp with the practice impression. I didn't think you could buy those practice balls like that. I figured they only did that for those pro tournies.

post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post


The tournament manager at Longwood Golf Course in Houston, TX. I had to go into the pro-shop and buy a sleeve of balls. I have a feeling you are talking about the practice balls that are administered for a professional tournament. I have a buddy who has worked the Houston Shell Open many times and he said those are actual Pro V1x that they stamp with the practice impression. I didn't think you could buy those practice balls like that. I figured they only did that for those pro tournies.

If you see a Pro V1 with PRACTICE stamped on it, it's a real Pro V1. There are no others.

From Titleist's own website:

What is the difference between Pro V1 Practice and Pro V1 X-out golf balls?


Thank you for your inquiry regarding the differences between Titleist Pro V1 Practice and Pro V1 X-Out golf balls.

The Acushnet Company invests significant time and effort to ensure that our products are Best-in-Class in terms of quality, performance and consistency. As such, in the rare event one of our products fails to meet USGA requirements for size, weight, velocity or any other conformance criteria we destroy rather than market such products.

As such, only products that are of a minimal defect are available for purchase. These products are available in two offerings:

1. Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.

2. Pro V1 X-Out golf balls are also conforming products. However, they usually have a cosmetic blemish and/or occasionally have a minor physical defect that should not significantly affect its performance. More often than not, the physical condition causing the ball to be stamped as an X-Out is so minute that it is not recognizable by the player.

Both products may be used in the casual round of golf including those with scores posted for handicaps, and most competitions, with the possible exception of high level competitions invoking the Local Rule requiring balls to be on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. Please refer to the USGA Official Rules on the subject listed below for your reference:

Q: May I use a ball stamped with "Practice" or "X-Out" to play a round of golf?

A: Our present policy provides that if the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect, a practice or logo ball may be used provided the other markings on the ball (i.e., pole and seam) correspond exactly to a ball listing on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls. Balls labeled with ''PRACTICE'' or a circled ''P'', are essentially treated as a logo ball (such as a Mickey Mouse emblem). A player's name stamped on the ball is also acceptable. However, the original ball markings (i.e., pole and seam markings) must be readable in order for a Rules Official to determine whether that ball is on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. X-Out balls are not permitted to be used in any competition in which the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect. However, if neither of these Conditions are in effect, X-Out balls may be used because all balls are presumed to conform unless they have been tested and found not to conform or are obviously non-conforming (e.g., too small or too heavy). (See Decisions 5-1/4 and US/5-1/101).

As a result of the potential for an X-Out to be non-conforming if tested, we do not recommend using this model during tournament play.

We appreciate you allowing us to clarify this matter and wish you much success with your game. Thank you for making Titleist an integral part of your game, as well as the #1 ball in golf.
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

I can assure you, there's no difference. In fact, they are approved for tournament play, whereas the X Outs are not approved. Who told you that you aren't supposed to use them?

Probably the range master, who doesn't want to see his balls disappear onto the course?
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


Probably the range master, who doesn't want to see his balls disappear onto the course?

 

lol...good point, but i doubt many of us have ever played a course that had Pro V1 practice balls for their range.  i certainly havent.

post #34 of 35
I play "used" balls all the time, LOL. I usually don't chunk one until it is pretty bad; I have played 36 or more with the same ball. I wouldn't have a problem with the high grade used balls, especially if I could play more than I do. A dozen new DT Solos is 19.95 at Wally World and usually lasts me the summer, interspersed with the occasional sleeve of premium balls that are gifted or bought for an event. I have also used XOUT and PRACTICE versions of balls, and with my game there is no difference in performance.

If I played as much as some of you do, I would certainly consider the high-grade used balls--$52 for 5 dozen Solos? wow.

As others have said, the refurbished ones are questionable, as paint can mask more serious defects.
post #35 of 35
I would not use a refinished ball. It has likely been modified- new paint or something. Recycled golf balls are fine, except that I have found deformities and bubbled paint on some urethane balls, particularly ProV1s. I have never had an issue with a surlyn ball. I think surlyn is less likely to be affected by water.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › Refinished / refurbished vs new balls