or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Donald Sterling Banned for Life
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Donald Sterling Banned for Life - Page 5

post #73 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

And that is an example of a perfectly acceptable double standard IMO.

Eh, that is the opposite of perfectly acceptable. I respect that you said "to me", but I don't understand why it's okay. There is no such thing as perfectly acceptable racism, period, in my opinion.

post #74 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

And that is an example of a perfectly acceptable double standard IMO.

 

Really?  Why?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

When it comes to racism/bigotry there is no room for double standards. You can't say one group or individual has the right to freely express it but not another.

 

I agree.  It's unacceptable.  Period.

post #75 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

and I think we all know how it would be taken if the mantra behind the symbol was Black Devil and the guy wearing it was white.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

And that is an example of a perfectly acceptable double standard IMO.

Maybe I should elaborate a bit.  I'm not saying that a black racist is OK, whereas a white racist is not.

 

I am speaking only to the double standards when it comes to the reactions to the racism ... which is what MS referred to and I quoted.  He's right ... if a white guy showed up to a game wearing a KKK uniform all hell would break loose.  And I'm perfectly OK with that because this country has a giant history of racism against minorities.

 

OTOH, I'm also OK with people not making a giant deal out of a black rapper wearing a necklace that some think means he's a racist.

post #76 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

 

Maybe I should elaborate a bit.  I'm not saying that a black racist is OK, whereas a white racist is not.

 

I am speaking only to the double standards when it comes to the reactions to the racism ... which is what MS referred to and I quoted.  He's right ... if a white guy showed up to a game wearing a KKK uniform all hell would break loose.  And I'm perfectly OK with that because this country has a giant history of racism against minorities.

 

OTOH, I'm also OK with people not making a giant deal out of a black rapper wearing a necklace that some think means he's a racist.

I'm not okay with anyone showing a dislike for another race, regardless of what race they might be.  History is history, you want everyone to get along, hold them all to the same standards.  This concept that it's okay for minorities to hate white people and voice their negative opinion about white people but not the reverse is hypocritical and will never allow us to put racism behind us.  

post #77 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

 

Maybe I should elaborate a bit.  I'm not saying that a black racist is OK, whereas a white racist is not.

 

I am speaking only to the double standards when it comes to the reactions to the racism ... which is what MS referred to and I quoted.  He's right ... if a white guy showed up to a game wearing a KKK uniform all hell would break loose.  And I'm perfectly OK with that because this country has a giant history of racism against minorities.

 

OTOH, I'm also OK with people not making a giant deal out of a black rapper wearing a necklace that some think means he's a racist.

I'm not okay with anyone showing a dislike for another race, regardless of what race they might be.  History is history, you want everyone to get along, hold them all to the same standards.  This concept that it's okay for minorities to hate white people and voice their negative opinion about white people but not the reverse is hypocritical and will never allow us to put racism behind us.  

 

Agreed.

 

IMO.  It will continue to be an issue as long as we allow it to be an issue.

post #78 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I'm not okay with anyone showing a dislike for another race, regardless of what race they might be.  History is history, you want everyone to get along, hold them all to the same standards.  This concept that it's okay for minorities to hate white people and voice their negative opinion about white people but not the reverse is hypocritical and will never allow us to put racism behind us.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

Agreed.

 

IMO.  It will continue to be an issue as long as we allow it to be an issue.

I agree as well.  Again, I didn't say that "reverse" racism (for lack of a better term) is OK, but I am OK with the disparity in the reactions.

 

I don't get worked up over minorities being allowed to have their own clubs in high school or college either.  Almost nobody does.  It's perfectly fine.  But a white person club?  That's pretty ridiculous, and that is where the allowable double standard lie, IMO.

post #79 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

 
I'm not okay with anyone showing a dislike for another race, regardless of what race they might be.  History is history, you want everyone to get along, hold them all to the same standards.  This concept that it's okay for minorities to hate white people and voice their negative opinion about white people but not the reverse is hypocritical and will never allow us to put racism behind us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

 
Agreed.

IMO.  It will continue to be an issue as long as we allow it to be an issue.
I agree as well.  Again, I didn't say that "reverse" racism (for lack of a better term) is OK, but I am OK with the disparity in the reactions.

I don't get worked up over minorities being allowed to have their own clubs in high school or college either.  Almost nobody does.  It's perfectly fine.  But a white person club?  That's pretty ridiculous, and that is where the allowable double standard lie, IMO.

But why would anyone want to exclude (due to race) someone from their club? I am not OK with that.
post #80 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

 

I agree as well.  Again, I didn't say that "reverse" racism (for lack of a better term) is OK, but I am OK with the disparity in the reactions.

 

I don't get worked up over minorities being allowed to have their own clubs in high school or college either.  Almost nobody does.  It's perfectly fine.  But a white person club?  That's pretty ridiculous, and that is where the allowable double standard lie, IMO.

 

 

I think the "better term" is simply racism, no matter which way it's pointed.

 

Another term for "reaction" would be "consequence".  Do you really think that the consequences for intolerance, bigotry, and racism should be different just because of the race of the individual demonstrating those characteristics?  If so, that may be the most discriminatory thing I've ever heard.....

 

.....but honestly, I don't really think you mean it.

post #81 of 192
Racism sucks! And although it still blatantly exists, even in this "alleged" civilised world, (which it clearly isn't) the media insist on magnifying it, which then spreads it! In this day and age racism should be dying out! People are meant to be much more intelligent than those of years gone by.
Ok this man is most likely racist, possibly due to being raised by racist parents, from racist communities! He's ignorant as all racists are, and people of that age rarely change they're views that have been instilled in them!
that woman knew exactly what she was going to do with that recording before she recorded it, he was duped, with his own ignorance and she is no better than him!
If racism is to one day die out, then it should never be brought up for discussion by the media! The media have the power to educate, to promote and display peace! yet choose to stir feelings of hatred and display conflict!
I stopped watching news channels a couple of years ago when my baby was born, (have to watch kids tv now!) I'm now ignorant to what's going on in conflicts around the globe! I'm too busy working and enjoying time with my close family friends, if racism does end one day, can someone let me know! Then I can explain to my kids how stupid people used to be!
post #82 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

 

I think the "better term" is simply racism, no matter which way it's pointed.

 

Another term for "reaction" would be "consequence".  Do you really think that the consequences for intolerance, bigotry, and racism should be different just because of the race of the individual demonstrating those characteristics?  If so, that may be the most discriminatory thing I've ever heard.....

 

.....but honestly, I don't really think you mean it.

I do mean it ... but I don't think I mean it quite like you think I mean it, and I'm having trouble explaining it (obviously) so I'm just going to stop before it gets out of hand. :beer:

 

I will just say that my opinion of Jay-Z is no different now than it was before I learned about his necklace.**  But if Jack Nicholson showed up courtside at a Lakers game with a Swastika around his neck, my opinion of him would probably change.

 

**Part of that ambivalence probably stems from the fact that I'm assuming it's a lot more of a fashion statement than anything else.  I'm doubting it means much.

 

Now I'll stop.  Promise. ;-)

post #83 of 192

Ya know, If everyone looked at people as "People" instead of all these different "groups" i.e. this American, and that American, I think we'd all be better off. May not end racism, but imho it might slow it down., 

post #84 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

I do mean it ... but I don't think I mean it quite like you think I mean it, and I'm having trouble explaining it (obviously) so I'm just going to stop before it gets out of hand. :beer:

 

I will just say that my opinion of Jay-Z is no different now than it was before I learned about his necklace.**  But if Jack Nicholson showed up courtside at a Lakers game with a Swastika around his neck, my opinion of him would probably change.

 

**Part of that ambivalence probably stems from the fact that I'm assuming it's a lot more of a fashion statement than anything else.  I'm doubting it means much.

 

Now I'll stop.  Promise. ;-)

I think part of the problem is that you seem willing to make excuses for minorities when they act in a racist or reverse racist manner.  IMO It's insulting for you to dismiss Jay-Z's wearing an offensive medallion because you believe he's too ignorant to know it's offensive or too vain to care but would condemn Jack for doing something similar.   

 

Doesn't equality mean we hold everyone to the same standards and not make excuses for inappropriate and unacceptable behavior?  Would you condone Sterling's comments if you found out his entire family were racists and that he was raised with such values from birth?   

post #85 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

Ya know, If everyone looked at people as "People" instead of all these different "groups" i.e. this American, and that American, I think we'd all be better off. May not end racism, but imho it might slow it down., 

Your 100% right, the problem is the media won't allow racism to die because hatred fuels viewership.  A good start to ending racism would be to no longer allow the media to report the race of individuals in the news.  If we are all equal people, why do we need to know their race of a victim or criminal, it shouldn't be a detail worthy of reporting.  

post #86 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post

 
Ya know, If everyone looked at people as "People" instead of all these different "groups" i.e. this American, and that American, I think we'd all be better off. May not end racism, but imho it might slow it down., 
Your 100% right, the problem is the media won't allow racism to die because hatred fuels viewership.  A good start to ending racism would be to no longer allow the media to report the race of individuals in the news.  If we are all equal people, why do we need to know their race of a victim or criminal, it shouldn't be a detail worthy of reporting.  

Potentially it could help identify a criminal on the loose. ie.."a white gunman around 6'tall shot three people at the bank. He was last seen heading north on 3rd street."
post #87 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

Your 100% right, the problem is the media won't allow racism to die because hatred fuels viewership.  A good start to ending racism would be to no longer allow the media to report the race of individuals in the news.  If we are all equal people, why do we need to know their race of a victim or criminal, it shouldn't be a detail worthy of reporting.  

 

Well, they certainly are part of the problem. I.e. instead of reporting that Sam, a pink American male robbed so n so, who's a orange mother of 3, should be. Sam robbed a mother of 3, bla , bla , bla..

 

Then we need to get rid of people, and I use that term loosely, Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, the KKK, and any other race fueled group out there. I'm sure there are more, I just don't pay attention to the news anymore. 

post #88 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post


Potentially it could help identify a criminal on the loose. ie.."a white gunman around 6'tall shot three people at the bank. He was last seen heading north on 3rd street."

 

True, IF the perp is on the loose, they do need to describe the person in detail as much as they can. But if he or she is in custody, why mention their race..? 

post #89 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

 

True, IF the perp is on the loose, they do need to describe the person in detail as much as they can. But if he or she is in custody, why mention their race..? 

If it was as innocent as providing information to catch a criminal I wouldn't have an issue with it, but it's never innocent with the media.  

 

They make their living by pitting one group against the other, minority versus white, men versus women, rich versus poor, and republican versus democrat to list just a few.  Each news agency may take different sides but they always take a side and use their power to keep us fighting against one another.  

post #90 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
 

The really messed up part is that California is a 2-party consent state as well in terms of recording conversations. Here in Ohio, only one party needs to be aware, so you can basically record anyone by law. I'm not sure how Sterling being recorded is going to play out, but he clearly wouldn't consent to those comments being recorded... right? Of course, I think I read a report that Sterling requested "on many occasions" that he be recorded when talking as he has mental lapses and memory issues, so he would need to refer to the recordings to conduct daily personal and business operations. Sounds like bs, but it could hold up as a result.

That's what I read too. 

 

But the holding up bit doesn't matter. This isn't a criminal case and they aren't prosecuting him for criminal misconduct. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Donald Sterling Banned for Life