or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › REALLY Need Putting Help 10 GIRs and not a single Par
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REALLY Need Putting Help 10 GIRs and not a single Par - Page 3

post #37 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

115F in New Delhi?  I would melt!  It had to be humid too, right?

humidity was low 20's but high was 115, thanks god i had an umbrella ......

post #38 of 143

I would still have trouble functioning in that kind of heat!

post #39 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

I would still have trouble functioning in that kind of heat!

haha but you gotta get used to it i guess, i spent 3 yrs in upstate ny in rochester ny ,,,,, 20 below in the winters and 5 yes in NYC ... so from extreme cold to extreme heat.... i played another 9 today ... 48 total... 27 putts ...  

also put a new callaway hex chrome in play today and after 4 holes the cover was cut

post #40 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by achadha7 View Post
 

okay slight mis info .. it was 9 GIR's and 55 putts.. totalling error.. here are the stats

 

 

 

We have a course like this in our area, and putting is the toughest part of the game. These distances would be the "championship" tees.

post #41 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

 

We have a course like this in our area, and putting is the toughest part of the game. These distances would be the "championship" tees.

regular tees, championship are longer

post #42 of 143

The best advice from one ex-bad putter to another that I can give to you about putting is to take a deep breath and rest a couple minutes after you get on the green while reading your putt.

 

Wait till you feel relaxed, then start your putting cycle. There's no rush especially when you just got on the green in two or three shots.

post #43 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Nah. True to some extent but… a limited extent.

 

 

Good putters do three things well:

  1. Hit the putts on-line.
  2. Hit putts the proper distance.
  3. Read greens well.

 

That's it. Work on one of those three things at a time and your putting improves.

Good advice.

Im going to work on those keys this summer, I been working on the first two this winter, same green all the time. number #3 needs more work

thanks.

post #44 of 143

Meters or yards on those distances?

post #45 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldblu3 View Post
 

Meters or yards on those distances?

yards... why ?

post #46 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by achadha7 View Post
 

yards... why ?


Keep up the good work, reduce your putts. B-) 

post #47 of 143
Without seeing your stroke, my guess is you are putting with your arms and wrists. Try putting with your shoulders. Keep the triangle formed by your arms constant. Also, you are having distance problems. that's what you need to work on. Work on lag putting.
post #48 of 143

Not to be rude, but... holy cow! I've never heard of 10 GIR and 58 putts. That's... almost impressive. Vangator said it. You HAVE to be using your wrists and arms. Lock those wrists and elbows. Find what grip you like (baseball bat, interlocking, claw, etc.) But the issue here seems you are misunderstanding the premise of putting. PENDULUM PENDULUM PENDULUM. Maybe it isn't your form but your approach to the hole. Unless I have a legit shot to score, I try to set myself up for a 2 putt. NEVER accept a 3 putt. Maybe you keep trying to make it by sending it 6" past the hole. I've heard of this approach, but I find it better to play below the hole if it's a pretty hard putt and something I can't usually sink. I'm not a good player. I'm really not. I just hit 5 GIR yesterday 32 putts. Finished with a 92. You fix your putting, and you become one heck of a player! Good luck. PENDULUM PENDULUM PENDULUM!!!!!

post #49 of 143

Just newly posted in the Swing Thoughts section!!! 

 

Putting - DO NOT Accelerate Through the Ball
started on 05/03/14 last post 09/25/14 at 12:35am 272 replies 17835 views
post #50 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

Not to be rude, but... holy cow! I've never heard of 10 GIR and 58 putts. That's... almost impressive. Vangator said it. You HAVE to be using your wrists and arms. Lock those wrists and elbows. Find what grip you like (baseball bat, interlocking, claw, etc.) But the issue here seems you are misunderstanding the premise of putting. PENDULUM PENDULUM PENDULUM. Maybe it isn't your form but your approach to the hole. Unless I have a legit shot to score, I try to set myself up for a 2 putt. NEVER accept a 3 putt. Maybe you keep trying to make it by sending it 6" past the hole. I've heard of this approach, but I find it better to play below the hole if it's a pretty hard putt and something I can't usually sink. I'm not a good player. I'm really not. I just hit 5 GIR yesterday 32 putts. Finished with a 92. You fix your putting, and you become one heck of a player! Good luck. PENDULUM PENDULUM PENDULUM!!!!!

 

I like a lot of the rest of the stuff (see the thread Matt linked to), but I disagree with the bold.

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/58938/hinging-wrists-and-putting-what-is-this-madness#post_723820

 

Soft wrists. Actually prefer to see them "float load" a little bit, and soft wrists can tap in to your feel. If I ask you to lob a ball to me, you wouldn't do it with stiff locked wrists.

post #51 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

I like a lot of the rest of the stuff (see the thread Matt linked to), but I disagree with the bold.

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/58938/hinging-wrists-and-putting-what-is-this-madness#post_723820

 

Soft wrists. Actually prefer to see them "float load" a little bit, and soft wrists can tap in to your feel. If I ask you to lob a ball to me, you wouldn't do it with stiff locked wrists.


No no no. You misunderstood what I meant by "lock". Lock does not mean stiff. Lock means do no allow movement. Do not flip wrists or flare elbows among impact. I didn't mean be super stiff. In golf, I was always told to be relaxed.

 

I had a feeling that word would have been misunderstood... I really didn't know another word for "don't allow free movement". Be soft, be smooth, be relaxed.

post #52 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 


No no no. You misunderstood what I meant by "lock". Lock does not mean stiff. Lock means do no allow movement. Do not flip wrists or flare elbows among impact. I didn't mean be super stiff. In golf, I was always told to be relaxed.

 

I had a feeling that word would have been misunderstood... I really didn't know another word for "don't allow free movement". Be soft, be smooth, be relaxed.

 

Follow the link in this post:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

Just newly posted in the Swing Thoughts section!!! 

 

Putting - DO NOT Accelerate Through the Ball
started on 05/03/14 last post 09/25/14 at 12:35am 272 replies 17835 views

 

 

Whatever you (@dbrock504) think you know about putting, is probably wrong. . .

post #53 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

Follow the link in this post:

 

 

 

Whatever you (@dbrock504) think you know about putting, is probably wrong. . .


I don't mean to come off as a "know-it-all", but I actually was already aware of that without the graphs and jargon. I understand the hazards of accelerating through a putt. I have had many lessons with the 2008 STPGA (Southern Texas Professional Golf Association) coach of the year, David Pilsner, with my short game. I NEVER accelerate through a putt. I don't exactly DE-accelerate either. My stroke is as long forward as it is on the back stroke. I'm not a PGA player, but I'm not a bad putter. I just played yesterday and hit 32 putts (1.78 avg). I might not know every single technical aspect of putting, but what I do works for me, and its extremely conventional. Baseball grip, knees slightly bent, bent as the waist not at the back, eyes over the ball, putter face flat on the ground, relaxed grip, straight back straight forward stroke.

 

What made you call me out on that? I can't help but to read into the fact that you singled me out to read a blog on putting. Am I missing something?

post #54 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 


No no no. You misunderstood what I meant by "lock". Lock does not mean stiff. Lock means do no allow movement. Do not flip wrists or flare elbows among impact. I didn't mean be super stiff. In golf, I was always told to be relaxed.

 

I had a feeling that word would have been misunderstood... I really didn't know another word for "don't allow free movement". Be soft, be smooth, be relaxed.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 


I don't mean to come off as a "know-it-all", but I actually was already aware of that without the graphs and jargon. I understand the hazards of accelerating through a putt. I have had many lessons with the 2008 STPGA (Southern Texas Professional Golf Association) coach of the year, David Pilsner, with my short game. I NEVER accelerate through a putt. I don't exactly DE-accelerate either. My stroke is as long forward as it is on the back stroke. I'm not a PGA player, but I'm not a bad putter. I just played yesterday and hit 32 putts (1.78 avg). I might not know every single technical aspect of putting, but what I do works for me, and its extremely conventional. Baseball grip, knees slightly bent, bent as the waist not at the back, eyes over the ball, putter face flat on the ground, relaxed grip, straight back straight forward stroke.

 

What made you call me out on that? I can't help but to read into the fact that you singled me out to read a blog on putting. Am I missing something?

 

Nothing personal, at all. I just wanted you to understand that Erik's position has scientific merit, and that you might want to digest what he writes before responding.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › REALLY Need Putting Help 10 GIRs and not a single Par