or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Donald Trump Gets A Major Championship
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Donald Trump Gets A Major Championship

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

It looks like the 2022 PGA Championship is heading to Trump National Bedminster.

It was originally thought that the course would be in the running for a men’s U.S. Open at some point, but it turns out that the USGA is more interested in the Nicklaus designed Trump Ferry Point, a golf course currently under development in the Bronx.

Thoughts?

post #2 of 11

I like the guy - this is great

post #3 of 11

His ego will now expand exponentially.

post #4 of 11

Sounds like he's got two great courses.  They don't hand out majors because of who owns the course.....

post #5 of 11

He's also buying Turnbury, no doubt the Open will go back there sometime soon.

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

Sounds like he's got two great courses.  They don't hand out majors because of who owns the course.....

Actually I think it was the opposite for a while, the PGA Tour seemed to avoid Trump courses because he owned them.  

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

Actually I think it was the opposite for a while, the PGA Tour seemed to avoid Trump courses because he owned them.  

 

Really? Interesting. I'd be interested in hearing more detail on this.

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursum Golf View Post
 

 

Really? Interesting. I'd be interested in hearing more detail on this.

He's talked about it in interviews and this article touches on it as well.  http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/golf/2007-01-25-trump_x.htm?csp=N009

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

He's talked about it in interviews and this article touches on it as well.  http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/golf/2007-01-25-trump_x.htm?csp=N009

 

Good read. Thanks!

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursum Golf View Post
 

 

Good read. Thanks!

I don't know if there's any validity to his early claims that his courses were not getting selected because of his big personality, politics and arrogance.  His early course designs were not well received and considered gimmicky which is also a possible reason why it took him so long to host a tournament.  

 

I think the LPGA selecting one of his courses helped him demonstrate that he could allow a tournament and the participants to take center stage ahead of his hair and personality.   

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I don't know if there's any validity to his early claims that his courses were not getting selected because of his big personality, politics and arrogance.  His early course designs were not well received and considered gimmicky which is also a possible reason why it took him so long to host a tournament.   

And now he just buys courses that already host championships. After Trump bought Doral (and now Turnberry), the governing bodies realized that they weren't going to succeed in keeping him out of their club.
Edited by Chilli Dipper - 5/4/14 at 1:42pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Donald Trump Gets A Major Championship