or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Golf TV - Why do they focus on so few players !!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golf TV - Why do they focus on so few players !!

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

With so many players having a good round, why am I watching hardly anything but Macilroy, Fowler and Byrd?? There are so many players going well on the course and the TV is showing none of them. The game is not about a few stars and I think more coverage of those going low is needed, they are playing well so show them !

post #2 of 14

The PGA Tour is a made-for-TV reality show whose only purpose in life is to sell advertising for Buicks and Viagra to old white men. They aren't interested in the game or who plays well. They cloak the whole charade in the bogus "charitable" contributions facade.

post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith White View Post
 

With so many players having a good round, why am I watching hardly anything but Macilroy, Fowler and Byrd?? There are so many players going well on the course and the TV is showing none of them. The game is not about a few stars and I think more coverage of those going low is needed, they are playing well so show them !

Is this a rhetorical question?  I mean, you know the answer right?  You just wish that it wasn't the case.

 

Other than a small handful of you guys, there aren't many people that tune in to golf to watch Martin Flores, Shawn Stefani and Kevin Kisner.

 

Plus, it's Friday.  Anybody who plays well is going to earn their way onto the TV for tomorrow, and Sunday if they continue to play well.  Do that enough times, and then, perhaps, some of us will be interested in seeing how they perform on Thursdays and Fridays as well.

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith White View Post
 

With so many players having a good round, why am I watching hardly anything but Macilroy, Fowler and Byrd?? There are so many players going well on the course and the TV is showing none of them. The game is not about a few stars and I think more coverage of those going low is needed, they are playing well so show them !

 

:offtopic:

 

This is the Rules of Golf forum, not the Tour Forum. :doh:

post #5 of 14

Of course it's obviously ratings. For every diehard golf fan that would like to see the coverage more equally distributed there are four people that only care to watch the "stars" and would change the channel if they aren't showing them very much.

 

The really funny thing is that even though I like golf and consider myself a fan I'm one of the four in the latter group. ;-) 

 

I know the reaction of some would be that I'm not a "true fan". Maybe so. Sue me.

 

If there aren't any "stars" I might watch if there's nothing else to do, but there's almost always something else to do. I did catch one of McIlroy's drives today before I went out to practice. I think the carry was around 320 and the club head speed was 124mph.

 

That's what I want to see!!!

post #6 of 14

Almost all individual sports are televised that way. Try watching motorcycle road racing some time, 99% of the race, they only show a few of the leading bikes, or if someone really famous is in 4th or 5th, they may show them a good bit of the time. Frustrating I know, but it is what it is....as they say.

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

:offtopic:

 

This is the Rules of Golf forum, not the Tour Forum. :doh:

You made me chuckle with this!  We're in the Tour forum.  

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

You made me chuckle with this!  We're in the Tour forum.  

it wasnt when Rick made his post

post #9 of 14

It doesn't say MOVED, so I assumed it has always been here.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

It doesn't say MOVED, so I assumed it has always been here.

I happened to see it in the rules forum yesterday.

post #11 of 14

Thanks.  Usually the mods put "Moved" in the subject line.

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

Thanks.  Usually the mods put "Moved" in the subject line.

 

I don't recall the last time I ever did that. Why add a keyword like "moved" to something?

 

Anyway, back to the topic, please.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

Almost all individual sports are televised that way. Try watching motorcycle road racing some time, 99% of the race, they only show a few of the leading bikes, or if someone really famous is in 4th or 5th, they may show them a good bit of the time. Frustrating I know, but it is what it is....as they say.

 

Yeah, even with NASCAR with only 40 cars on the track, they still show 90% of the race with 5 or 6 cars, except when there's a wreck.  

 

With golf, you know you are going to see a long birdie putt or chip when they cut to some guy who has never had 5 minutes of TV exposure in his life.  He gets his 5 seconds of fame, then back to Tiger, making a charge from 7 strokes back with 4 to play.  :doh:

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Yeah, even with NASCAR with only 40 cars on the track, they still show 90% of the race with 5 or 6 cars, except when there's a wreck.  

 

With golf, you know you are going to see a long birdie putt or chip when they cut to some guy who has never had 5 minutes of TV exposure in his life.  He gets his 5 seconds of fame, then back to Tiger, making a charge from 7 strokes back with 4 to play.  :doh:

Agreed. I hate when they stop showing a player because they think he is out of contention.  Adam Scott got very little air-time at the Masters.  Last week, they stopped showing Keegan Bradley after he was four strokes back.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Golf TV - Why do they focus on so few players !!