or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Tour lock back weighting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tour lock back weighting

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
I'm in the process of installing a 40g tour lock in my putter grip after experimenting with a bunch of nickels tapped to the butt.

The thing's a real bitch to install. I'm using a regular drill bit that's a tad too small and an exacto to ream out the hole a bit more. Harder than I anticipated, hope I don't scrap my grip. Didn't realize how thick the rubber is on the end cap.
post #2 of 30
Thread Starter 
Finally got the bitch in! Part of the issue is that the tip of the weight has an expanding rubber sleeve and pushing rubber through rubber is a tough slog. Might use a little lube next time. Putter feels awesome now!
post #3 of 30

How's the distance control? :)

post #4 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

How's the distance control? :)
I won't know for sure until next weekend. The nickels helped but they also made the shaft an inch longer. The putter head is 350g and the back weight is 40g which is pretty much what we came up with in Erie. It feels great in my hands though.
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Finally got the bitch in! Part of the issue is that the tip of the weight has an expanding rubber sleeve and pushing rubber through rubber is a tough slog. Might use a little lube next time. Putter feels awesome now!

 

That sound so wrong in some way, but I am glad it feels awesome now. :-P

post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

I won't know for sure until next weekend. The nickels helped but they also made the shaft an inch longer. The putter head is 350g and the back weight is 40g which is pretty much what we came up with in Erie. It feels great in my hands though.

 

Cool. Now read this: http://thesandtrap.com/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball . You too @saevel25. :)

post #7 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Cool. Now read this: http://thesandtrap.com/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball . You too @saevel25
. :)
Will do. My best putts are when I just let it swing in a pendulum, definitely not accelerating past the ball but I'm sure I can improve in that area as there are times when I felt I forced it a bit and those always yield worse results.
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Will do. My best putts are when I just let it swing in a pendulum, definitely not accelerating past the ball but I'm sure I can improve in that area as there are times when I felt I forced it a bit and those always yield worse results.

 

I like putting with the ball more forward in my stance. When I have trouble hitting up on the putt, I'll place the putter about half an inch behind the ball and putt from that set up. I try to feel like that is were the stroke bottoms out, so I am catching the ball on a slight upstroke. Its a visual thing, and it seems to work pretty good. I just got to remember not to try to push my hands forward and accelerate. Just let the pendulum do its work!! 

post #9 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Will do. My best putts are when I just let it swing in a pendulum, definitely not accelerating past the ball but I'm sure I can improve in that area as there are times when I felt I forced it a bit and those always yield worse results.
I just skimmed that thread quickly as I have company coming over for dinner, but it makes perfect sense. I pendulum will always reach maximum speed at the bottom of the arc so if your hitting the ball with a slightly ascending stroke you have to be DECELERATING not accelerating. Good stuff, I'll read it more in depth tomorrow.
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

I'm in the process of installing a 40g tour lock in my putter grip after experimenting with a bunch of nickels tapped to the butt.

The thing's a real bitch to install. I'm using a regular drill bit that's a tad too small and an exacto to ream out the hole a bit more. Harder than I anticipated, hope I don't scrap my grip. Didn't realize how thick the rubber is on the end cap.

There is a special drill bit they sell to cut, ream and countersink the grip. I bought the starter kit with various weights. Tried different configurations for driver, irons and putter. I don't have any back weights in my set now. I didn't dislike them but didn't feel any significant improvement for me.

post #11 of 30
Thread Starter 

Thought I'd update this thread. I have 54 holes under my belt since adding the back weight to my grip and the difference is undeniable. Distance control is absolutely spot on, truly amazing how much of a difference it makes. Now, the recipe will be a little different for every player but my magic numbers are a 350gram head with a 40g back weight. They sell starter kits with a variety of different weights and the special drill bit so you can always just buy the kit and play around until you find the right mix for your putter. Although, if your starting out with a putter head that's too light or too heavy (unlikely) you'll be screwed but it's not that expensive to play around with various back weights and you may get lucky and not need to change putters.

post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Thought I'd update this thread. I have 54 holes under my belt since adding the back weight to my grip and the difference is undeniable. Distance control is absolutely spot on, truly amazing how much of a difference it makes. Now, the recipe will be a little different for every player but my magic numbers are a 350gram head with a 40g back weight. They sell starter kits with a variety of different weights and the special drill bit so you can always just buy the kit and play around until you find the right mix for your putter. Although, if your starting out with a putter head that's too light or too heavy (unlikely) you'll be screwed but it's not that expensive to play around with various back weights and you may get lucky and not need to change putters.

That's great, but what ever came about with all of the nickels in your butt?  You see a doctor about that yet?? :-P

post #13 of 30

Time to write a review @Ernest Jones .  About the Tour Lock and not the nickles. ;-)

post #14 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

That's great, but what ever came about with all of the nickels in your butt?  You see a doctor about that yet?? :-P

Member of the Month? Really? My, my, how standards have fallen...

 

:-P

post #15 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

Time to write a review @Ernest Jones .  About the Tour Lock and not the nickles. ;-)

Point taken. I will put it on my to-do list. 

post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

That's great, but what ever came about with all of the nickels in your butt?  You see a doctor about that yet?? :-P

Member of the Month? Really? My, my, how standards have fallen...

 

:-P

 

Keep your head up EJ, rise above this trivial, juvenile banter.

post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Member of the Month? Really? My, my, how standards have fallen...

 

:-P

LMAO!!!  It's not my fault you guys keep thumbs upping my silly (vapid) posts. :-P

 

Stop doing it already!

 


Now, back on topic ... that's really awesome that you were able to properly weight your putter without having to get a new one.  I am loving my Edel so far, absolutely loving it!  But the thing that stands out the most isn't the aim, it's the speed control.  Yes, it's great to know I'm aimed properly, and its helped me to sink more putts, but even more importantly are how many times I've put the ball to within gimme range for my second putt.  Tap ins for par are the bees knees!!!

post #18 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

LMAO!!!  It's not my fault you guys keep thumbs upping my silly (vapid) posts. b2_tongue.gif

Stop doing it already!

Now, back on topic ... that's really awesome that you were able to properly weight your putter without having to get a new one.  I am loving my Edel so far, absolutely loving it!  But the thing that stands out the most isn't the aim, it's the speed control.  Yes, it's great to know I'm aimed properly, and its helped me to sink more putts, but even more importantly are how many times I've put the ball to within gimme range for my second putt.  Tap ins for par are the bees knees!!!
Exactly! My putter, sadly, doesn't fit my eye so I need to use a line on my ball but the distance control makes all the difference. Played 9 today and 3 one-putts and everything else was literally less than a foot for a tap-in. Actually I think one was 18". Too bad my full swing has gone off the rails again. a4_sad.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Tour lock back weighting