or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Derby day!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Derby day!

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
I love the Kentucky Derby. California Chrome is a clear favorite but with a field of 20 anything can happen. Track is fast today!
post #2 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipper View Post

I love the Kentucky Derby. California Chrome is a clear favorite but with a field of 20 anything can happen. Track is fast today!

 



I'm a Derby fan but I'm at work and haven't watched it yet. Maybe I won't find out who won until I get home to watch it. a2_wink.gif
post #3 of 34
Thread Starter 
It was a great race. You will enjoy it.
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipper View Post

It was a great race. You will enjoy it.

I did enjoy it. :beer:

 

I expected Wicked Strong and Danza to make a run and push Chrome down the stretch with anything short of a blistering pace through the first half mile but it never really happened.

 

I had California Chrome as a very slight favorite (certainly not as confident as 2 to 1). Chrome definitely came away looking like the best horse and I wouldn't think he will have any problem in the Preakness as long as he breaks okay.

 

Not so confident about the Belmont (and I never am with anything short of Secretariat) since none of them have ever run that far before. ;-)

 

Always a good story when an under-pedigreed horse turns out to be the cream of the crop.

 

P.S. One good thing about watching it later was that I could fast forward through most of the pre-race BS and just watch the race.

post #5 of 34

Derby must have done something subconscious to me as I snuck in a little portion of an episode of Luck before chugging to sleep. And I'm only a fair weather horse racing watcher.

post #6 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

I did enjoy it. c2_beer.gif

I expected Wicked Strong and Danza to make a run and push Chrome down the stretch with anything short of a blistering pace through the first half mile but it never really happened.

I had California Chrome as a very slight favorite (certainly not as confident as 2 to 1). Chrome definitely came away looking like the best horse and I wouldn't think he will have any problem in the Preakness as long as he breaks okay.

Not so confident about the Belmont (and I never am with anything short of Secretariat) since none of them have ever run that far before. a2_wink.gif

Always a good story when an under-pedigreed horse turns out to be the cream of the crop.

P.S. One good thing about watching it later was that I could fast forward through most of the pre-race BS and just watch the race.

This was one of the more brutal pre-races to watch. I agree with you on the Preakness and Belmont. A couple major contenders will rest their horses in two weeks and then they will be ready to go rested for the Belmont.
post #7 of 34

I went to the Derby in 1983 with a group of people from work.  We stuck booze into the in-field, as everyone did.  Half of us were passed out most of the afternoon (not me).  Many hung out near the bathrooms and whenever a woman came out they would yell, "Show us your T*ts."   One in five did.

 

By the time the Derby race came around, most people were lined up against the fence.  You couldn't see the horses. Only the occasion head of the jockey or horse.  I don't remember who won.

 

So, if you want to actually watch the race, TV or grandstands is the way to go.

post #8 of 34
Thread Starter 
That had to be crazy. I would love to see a derby. I have been to Keenland and Saratoga but never there. I can't imagine how much a grandstand ticket would cost.
post #9 of 34

They had Marine guards there from Fort Knox checking us as we went in.  They couldn't have been trying too hard because we saw kegs in the in-field!  A lot of people got very sunburned too. Passing out without sunscreen on = bad idea.

post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

I went to the Derby in 1983 with a group of people from work.  We stuck booze into the in-field, as everyone did.  Half of us were passed out most of the afternoon (not me).  Many hung out near the bathrooms and whenever a woman came out they would yell, "Show us your T*ts."   One in five did.

 

By the time the Derby race came around, most people were lined up against the fence.  You couldn't see the horses. Only the occasion head of the jockey or horse.  I don't remember who won.

 

So, if you want to actually watch the race, TV or grandstands is the way to go.


Might not be as bad now that they have the giant screen so the people that aren't passed out can watch if they want to. ;-)

 

BTW the only time I ever went to Talladega (when I was just a teenager) I came away with three impressions.

 

1. If I ever go again I WILL have some ear plugs.

 

2. Not a chance to even read the numbers on the cars as they come by the grandstands going that fast, much less have any idea who's winning.

 

3. Never saw so many naked, drunk women in my life.

post #11 of 34
California Chrome wins the Preakness. Two down and the toughest one to go.
post #12 of 34
Thread Starter 
It was a great race. From the clean break out of the gate to the strong finish it was just an all around solid showing for California Chrome... He will need this three week break to recover and prepare for the Belmont.
post #13 of 34

Seems now that Chrome may not run in the Belmont because they don't allow nasal strips. :doh:

 

LOL. Always something.

post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

Seems now that Chrome may not run in the Belmont because they don't allow nasal strips. :doh:

 

LOL. Always something.

Well, that was fast ... http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/triplecrown2014/story/_/id/10953147/nasal-strip-approved-california-chrome-triple-crown-bid

post #15 of 34


Ha ha!

 

Well I have to say this for them. I can't think of another sports rules committee that could get together on a rule change in one morning. :beer:

 

Of course I never saw Tiger, Jordan, Mickey Mantle, or Joe Montana threaten to not play before a big event if they didn't change something.

post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 


Ha ha!

 

Well I have to say this for them. I can't think of another sports rules committee that could get together on a rule change in one morning. :beer:

 

Of course I never saw Tiger, Jordan, Mickey Mantle, or Joe Montana threaten to not play before a big event if they didn't change something.

It kind of brings me to something that has amused me for several years.  I am not a gambler, and at best, a (VERY) casual horse racing fan.  If I'm at home and see that the Kentucky Derby is on, I'll watch it.**

 

Then, again, if I'm at home and see that the Preakness is on, I'll watch it ... but really only to see if the horse that won the Derby can repeat.

 

And then, only if he was successful am I even remotely interested in watching the Belmont Stakes.

 

If I am any indication, then it amuses me how important it is for the Belmont Stakes that the same horse win the two previous races.  At least, that is, assuming that the TV casual fan viewership matters to their bottom line.

 

**This casual fandom sometimes can also extend to the Breeders' Cup, but that's where it all ends for me.

post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

It kind of brings me to something that has amused me for several years.  I am not a gambler, and at best, a (VERY) casual horse racing fan.  If I'm at home and see that the Kentucky Derby is on, I'll watch it.**

 

Then, again, if I'm at home and see that the Preakness is on, I'll watch it ... but really only to see if the horse that won the Derby can repeat.

 

And then, only if he was successful am I even remotely interested in watching the Belmont Stakes.

 

If I am any indication, then it amuses me how important it is for the Belmont Stakes that the same horse win the two previous races.  At least, that is, assuming that the TV casual fan viewership matters to their bottom line.

 

**This casual fandom sometimes can also extend to the Breeders' Cup, but that's where it all ends for me.


Yeah I don't know what the numbers are but I bet the Belmont loses at least 3/4 of potential viewers without a Triple Crown threat. Even with a Triple Crown threat some horses just capture the attention of the public more than others. I'll never forget how it was with Secretariat. People on the street were talking about horse racing that had never talked about horse racing in their lives.

 

And man that horse could run!!!!! 

post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 


Yeah I don't know what the numbers are but I bet the Belmont loses at least 3/4 of potential viewers without a Triple Crown threat. Even with a Triple Crown threat some horses just capture the attention of the public more than others. I'll never forget how it was with Secretariat. People on the street were talking about horse racing that had never talked about horse racing in their lives.

 

And man that horse could run!!!!! 

 

Plus, the name "Secretariat" is kind of cool.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Derby day!