or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › What answers did you give on the "Quiz" ad running on this site?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What answers did you give on the "Quiz" ad running on this site?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

The ad looks like this:

 

(I was gonna fill it in the next time I saw the ad, but it hasn't come back yet…).

 

It linked me to this URL: http://www.docsgolftips.com/ga14/042314.php?utm_expid=25458130-36.PscULZW6Q7a0UiEMS5VL-Q.1&gclid=CMCirpTtkL4CFaMcOgodHTQA5Q

 

Answer the questions yourself. Don't read my answers first. You can copy them from this post and paste them in with your answers.

 

The questions are:

 

1: True or False. One of the most effective ways the pros increase their clubhead speed is to simply swing their arms faster.

a. True
b. False

 

 

2: What do professional golfers concentrate on most to ensure consistent and accurate golf shots?

a. Weight transfer through the ball.
b. A good comfortable grip.
c. Proper alignment with the target.
d. Smooth tempo and timing.

 

3: The pros agree: Correctly performing this one simple task will ensure you both a good solid "10 yard" chip shot and an additional 30 yards to your tee-shots. What is it?

a. Addressing the ball properly ("hello ball").
b. Knowing how to shift your weight throughout the swing.
c. Making sure the clubface is in correct impact position.
d. Stopping all head movement during the swing.

 

4: What best indicates if you're lined up to the target properly?

a. Your shoulders.
b. Your hips.
c. Your eyes.
d. That invisible line running along the tips of your feet.

 

5: True power shots are a "chain reaction" that starts where?

a. The left hand (for right handed golfers).
b. The inside hip.
c. The feet.
d. The shoulder blades.
e. None of the above.

 

6: What is the average core pivot speed of an amateur golfer?

a. 85 to 100 mph.
b. 50 to 85 mph.
c. 15 to 20 mph.
d. 1/2 to 1 mph.

 

7: Hitting a poor "fat or thin" shot usually indicates you're having problems with:

a. Lifting your head.
b. Reverse weight shift.
c. Poor set-up position.
d. A stalled pivot.
e. None of the above.

 

8: Which of the following would help you take your good "driving range" swings to the course?

a. Practicing on the range just before tee time.
b. Playing the same brand of ball you practice with.
c. "Seeing" each shot with mental imagery.
d. An established pre-shot routine.

 

9: What do pros say is the quickest way amateurs can improve their game?

a. Increased accuracy.
b. Better equipment.
c. More power and distance.
d. Greater stamina.

 


 

My answers and commentary (commentary in blue).

 

1: True or False. One of the most effective ways the pros increase their clubhead speed is to simply swing their arms faster.

a. True

 

If I don't get that right, this question is stupid. What do you mean "pros increase their clubhead speed"? It's an effective way for MANY to do so. Pros often don't have to increase their clubhead speed… but on the ones where they swing faster, I virtually guarantee their arms swung faster.

 

2: What do professional golfers concentrate on most to ensure consistent and accurate golf shots?

a. Weight transfer through the ball.

 

Like I know what they "concentrate on." Probably nothing. What do they do better than amateurs? That's what I voted for.

 

3: The pros agree: Correctly performing this one simple task will ensure you both a good solid "10 yard" chip shot and an additional 30 yards to your tee-shots. What is it?

c. Making sure the clubface is in correct impact position.

 

Was tempted to choose "Stopping all head motion" but nobody's head really has NO motion at all, and I don't think that's going to "add 30 yards" (nor do I think whatever crap they'll tell me will add 30 yards either).

 

4: What best indicates if you're lined up to the target properly?

a. Your shoulders.

 

None of the above is the only correct answer here, but it wasn't an option.

 

5: True power shots are a "chain reaction" that starts where?

a. The left hand (for right handed golfers).
b. The inside hip.
c. The feet.
d. The shoulder blades.
e. None of the above.

 

6: What is the average core pivot speed of an amateur golfer?

c. 15 to 20 mph.

 

Why are we measuring a rotational thing in miles per hour? How about degrees per second? MPH, give me a break… This isn't a clubhead which we can approximate as traveling linearly. it's a small area. People with larger radiuses could potentially have much higher "MPH" despite rotating at a slower degrees/second.

 

7: Hitting a poor "fat or thin" shot usually indicates you're having problems with:

e. None of the above.

 

Had to choose that. Probably not the answer they want. :)

 

8: Which of the following would help you take your good "driving range" swings to the course?

c. "Seeing" each shot with mental imagery.

 

Again, I wanted "none of the above" but had to guess at what they wanted.

 

9: What do pros say is the quickest way amateurs can improve their game?

c. More power and distance.
 

They don't say that, but if they're smart, they would. Most of them talk about your chipping and putting.

 


 

And… I have no idea what my score is, because they want my email address to send me my quiz results.

 

So I'm grading myself. I give myself a 6/9 for a 66.6%, because there were several times when the right answer was not available for selection. :)

post #2 of 15

I took the quiz, and like you, I thought some of the options were not complete.  Also, how am I suppose to know what a Pro thinks, or how he or she practices certain pieces..? I did however answrer the same as you with regards to an amateurs core speed..:-D 

post #3 of 15

I took it also and put in an old email address so I could see the answers.

 

Here they are if you want to see them.

 

Answers (Click to show)

1) True or False. One of the most effective ways the pros increase their club head speed is to simply swing their arms faster.

a. True
b. False

 

The correct answer is: "B", False.

Most high-handicappers attempt to add power to their drives through their arms and hands. This is incorrect. Keep your arms nimble, your wrists supple, and your hands "soft" while concentrating on your PIVOT.

Fact is, any attempt to accelerate your arms to create clubhead speed will only "rob" you of power. Your arms can only generate (at most) a 65-70mph "slap" at the ball – which is why they refer to arm speed at "false speed".

On the other hand, a proper pivot means a clubhead moving at 100mph or more.


2) What do professional golfers concentrate on most to ensure consistent and accurate golf shots?

a. Weight transfer through the ball.
b. A good comfortable grip.
c. Proper alignment with the target.
d. Smooth tempo and timing.

 

The correct answer is: "C", Proper alignment with the target.

Did you know that MOST amateurs aim RIGHT to their intended target?

Confirm this for yourself at the range. Pick a target, line up your shot, then – without moving your feet – stop and carefully align a club along your heels. (Not along your toes.)

Next, step back and see exactly where the shaft is pointing. I'll bet it's to the right of your target.

The solution is to line up square to the target – even slightly left – every single time. Use the club-to-heel trick to help you eliminate the tricks your eyes are playing on you.

Won't take long to nail this down. Pretty soon you'll automatically "see" the correct target alignment.

It's amazing at how fast this can improve your distance and accuracy.


3) The pros agree: Correctly performing this one simple task will ensure you both a good solid "10 yard" chip shot and an additional 30 yards to your tee-shots. What is it?

a. Addressing the ball properly ("hello ball").
b. Knowing how to shift your weight throughout the swing.
c. Making sure the clubface is in correct impact position.
d. Stopping all head movement during the swing.

 

The correct answer is: "C". Making sure the clubface is in correct impact position.

The key to getting the clubface on the ball properly is educated hands.

For example, ever wonder why the pros have such wildly different swings – and yet every one of them can fly a golf ball along the exact same trajectory?

Think about that for a second.

Furyk's weird crooked swing...

... Trevino's goofy "homemade" flat swing...

... Bubba Watson's unusual "toe jump"...

... Fred Couples lazy "flying elbow" swing.

... Arnold Palmer's abbreviated helicopter finish.

All very different swings – with virtually identical ball flight, power and accuracy.

How's that possible?

Well they all have one thing in common. They all manage to get their hands in the exact same position at impact. And impact is the only thing that really counts.

Essentially you want a flat left wrist and a bent right wrist through the hitting zone. Do that, and you're golden. It doesn't matter how screwy the rest of your swing is.

So KEEP your current swing – no matter what the so-called experts are telling you – and simply educate your hands to be in the proper position at impact.


4) What best indicates if you're lined up to the target properly?

a. Your shoulders.
b. Your hips.
c. Your eyes.
d. That invisible line running along the tips of your feet.

 

The correct answer is: "B", Your hips.

Your hips are the biggest indicator of where the ball will fly.

Again, most amateurs are unknowingly aiming to the right of their target.

Which means you're wrongly setting up with your hips aiming right.

The trouble really starts when you begin making clever adjustments in your swing to compensate. Pretty soon you're topping, chunking, and spraying balls around the course like buck shot.

It's no wonder you have no consistency.

The solution is to line up square to the target. I suggest that you use a club shaft lined up along your heels as that's the best indicator of how your hips are aligned (not your toes).

Get your hips straight, and the rest falls into place.


5) True power shots are a "chain reaction" that starts where?

a. The left hand (for right handed golfers).
b. The inside hip.
c. The feet.
d. The shoulder blades.
e. None of the above.

 

The correct answer is: "C", Your feet.

Let's briefly cover what pros call the "Chain Reaction" – and the good news is there's no Plutonium required.

This is about generating golf swing power from the ground up... through your feet...knees... hips... shoulders... arms... hands... and ultimately though the head of the club into the ball.

Any break or disruption in this "chain" will quickly turn your A-bomb power-swing into a wet firecracker.

The key is to get every ounce of energy possible transferred into the ball – and that doesn't mean you need size and strength. It's why a 130-pound bookworm can crush 300-yard drives while a 275-pound line backer is duffing 180-yarders.

Understand that the bookworm isn't stronger... he's simply getting more of the energy to the ball – where it counts.

The trick is to get rid of as many of your "power leaks" as possible by keeping your "chain reaction" intact.

Okay... the driving force of the swing is your core pivot. But what many beginners simply ignore is that the power of the pivot comes from the ground.

That means of course that it all starts with your feet.

Think of it like throwing a punch. Most guys instinctively plant their foot and drive off of it to deliver the punch.

You don't focus on some weird "weight-shift" or "release" or any other nonsense.

So it is with a powerful golf swing. It depends on using your "connection" with the ground to generate explosive raw power.

This power is transferred from the feet on up, (often called "loading" the feet), through the "chain" and eventually into the golf ball. So it's absolutely critical to maintain the integrity of every link in your chain.


6) What is the average core pivot speed of an amateur golfer?

a. 85 to 100 mph.
b. 50 to 85 mph.
c. 15 to 20 mph.
d. 1/2 to 1 mph.

 

The correct answer is: "D", 1/2 to 1 mph.

Allow me to tell you something a little weird.

To get a smokin' fast clubhead speed... you've got to move SLOW.

Like I said, seems weird... but hear me out. Because it's about to get even weirder.

You may already know that all the raw power in your golf swing comes from the core pivot of your body. By focusing on turning your hips and allowing the shoulders, arms and hands to loosely "go along for the ride", you create a professional power swing.

And here's the weirder part. Do you know the core-pivot speed of the world's best tour players?

It's just 2 miles per hour! That's it!

What's more amazing... the average handicap golfer's core-pivot speed is just 1/2 to 1 mile per hour.

So here's the bottom line: Stop focusing on your clubhead speed and instead think about your core pivot speed.

Why? Because even the hottest tour pros can't concentrate on a clubhead moving at 100 miles per hour or more. But it's EASY to focus in on something moving just 1 or 2 miles per hour.

And even a one-half mile an hour increase in your core pivot – the speed of a tortoise – will result in an incredible increase in your clubhead speed.

The key is not to allow the swing to "disconnect" from your core pivot by activating the arms and hands.

And that's where I always see the biggest problems. High-handicappers think they can get more clubhead velocity by "speeding up their hands" and throwing the club at the ball.

Forget it... doesn't work.

Instead, keep your arms and hands "loose as noodles" and move SLOW from the top of the swing. As you pivot, allow them to build energy like a wave moving through your feet... knees... hips... shoulders... arms... and hands... in that order.


7) Hitting a poor "fat or thin" shot indicates you're having problems with:

a. Lifting your head.
b. Reverse weight shift.
c. Poor set-up position.
d. A stalled pivot.
e. None of the above.

 

The correct answer is: "D", A stalled pivot.

Poorly hit shots – fat or thin – can often be traced to "stalling" your pivot. In other words, not finishing your turn.

So in order to actually get the clubface to the ball you're forced to activate your arms and hands. This causes a lot of problems, including the "fat" or "thin" shot, as well as a slices and major inconsistencies.

The solution here is two-fold.

First is to always finish the swing with a full pivot. That's where your power comes from.

Second is to "educate" your hands.

Because the difference between hitting the ball "fat" or "thin" is only a matter of millimeters. So you must be able to make very subtle and minor adjustments - which is exactly what educated hands can do.

It'll dramatically improve the consistency, power and especially the accuracy of your shots. Because without these minor adjustments how in the world could you expect to hit the club's "sweet spot" – about the size of a dime – consistently?

Remember that the hands are like a 5-star Army General and your pivot is like the soldiers.

The General tells the soldiers exactly where to go, and the soldiers provide the physical power to get the job done. The General does NO physical work - but his role is critical.


8) Which of the following would help you take your good "driving range" swings to the course?

a. Practicing on the range just before tee time.
b. Playing the same brand of ball you practice with.
c. "Seeing" each shot with mental imagery.
d. An established pre-shot routine.

 

The correct answer is: "D", An established pre-shot routine.

This is the simple way you can "install" the correct stuff into your muscle memory so that you never "forget" it.

By developing your own extremely consistent 3 or 4 part pre-shot routine on the range, you will build complete consistency and predictability into your game.

Here's some tips about the pre-shot routine.

First: Approach every shot from behind, looking down the target line.

Next: Use a visual reference - like a divot, a leaf, or something else lying on the ground, to line up your ball to the target.

It's illegal (though technically not stated in the U.S. Constitution), to drop your own reference point into place. You've got to use something that's already on the ground.

While lined up and in your stance, check your target by rolling your head, not picking it up.

Third: Use a "waggle", a toe tap, or some other physical movement to trigger the start of your swing.

Don't stand over the ball thinking. Allow the pre-shot routine to take over and do its job.

Do it EVERY time, even on the range (maybe every 3rd or 4th shot). Stick with it and allow this process to build your swing into a thing of consistency and beauty.

Because the problem is that most guys try this just once, then throw it out the window because it feels "weird".

Well, there's a reason why so many people remain poor golfers for their entire life. They simply don't implement some rather simple suggestions to help take their game to the next level.


9) What do pros say is the quickest way amateurs can improve their game?

a. Increased accuracy.
b. Better equipment.
c. More power and distance.
d. Greater stamina.

 

The correct answer is: "A", Increased accuracy.

Did you know that 99% of all amateurs can't break 90 on an easy course? Doesn't matter how long they've been playing the game either.

The big problem is accuracy. Very few golfers can hit their driver or long irons with ANY kind of predictable distance or consistency.

Well, it's not the equipment my friend – it's the operator. Poor technique means that a $400 driver won't help you.

The key is to achieve a more simple swing through proper alignment and educated hands. This will allow you to find the "sweet spot" on the club face far more often while delivering more effortless power through the ball.

You can train your hands with power chips and pitches. This helps you see if your wrists are in the correct position or if they're breaking down at impact. When you get it right, you'll get that wonderful crisp sound just as the ball fires off the clubface.

A pure power shot that seems like you're doing nothing.

So remember – focus on getting your hands in the correct position at impact and you'll achieve greater power and accuracy.


post #4 of 15

Got my answers, problem is I can't seem to copy and paste them here...:loco:

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks for posting the answers. This is fun… NOT. :D

 

My responses to their responses (Click to show)
Quote:

1) True or False. One of the most effective ways the pros increase their club head speed is to simply swing their arms faster.

a. True
b. False

 

The correct answer is: "B", False.

Most high-handicappers attempt to add power to their drives through their arms and hands. This is incorrect. Keep your arms nimble, your wrists supple, and your hands "soft" while concentrating on your PIVOT.

Fact is, any attempt to accelerate your arms to create clubhead speed will only "rob" you of power. Your arms can only generate (at most) a 65-70mph "slap" at the ball – which is why they refer to arm speed at "false speed".

On the other hand, a proper pivot means a clubhead moving at 100mph or more.

 

Uhhhh… so that's wrong.

 

Quote:

 

2) What do professional golfers concentrate on most to ensure consistent and accurate golf shots?

a. Weight transfer through the ball.
b. A good comfortable grip.
c. Proper alignment with the target.
d. Smooth tempo and timing.

 

The correct answer is: "C", Proper alignment with the target.

Did you know that MOST amateurs aim RIGHT to their intended target?

Confirm this for yourself at the range. Pick a target, line up your shot, then – without moving your feet – stop and carefully align a club along your heels. (Not along your toes.)

Next, step back and see exactly where the shaft is pointing. I'll bet it's to the right of your target.

The solution is to line up square to the target – even slightly left – every single time. Use the club-to-heel trick to help you eliminate the tricks your eyes are playing on you.

Won't take long to nail this down. Pretty soon you'll automatically "see" the correct target alignment.

It's amazing at how fast this can improve your distance and accuracy.

 

I would agree that alignment plays a role in hitting accurate shots, but I would suggest that hitting the ball SOLIDLY matters more, and getting Key #2 (weight forward) or their answer "A" is more important than proper alignment. You could point Phil Mickelson 20 yards right or left and I guarantee he'll hit more accurate and "consistent" shots than some 80s golfer you can align dead perfectly at the proper spot every time.

 
Quote:

 

3) The pros agree: Correctly performing this one simple task will ensure you both a good solid "10 yard" chip shot and an additional 30 yards to your tee-shots. What is it?

a. Addressing the ball properly ("hello ball").
b. Knowing how to shift your weight throughout the swing.
c. Making sure the clubface is in correct impact position.
d. Stopping all head movement during the swing.

 

The correct answer is: "C". Making sure the clubface is in correct impact position.

The key to getting the clubface on the ball properly is educated hands.

For example, ever wonder why the pros have such wildly different swings – and yet every one of them can fly a golf ball along the exact same trajectory?

Think about that for a second.

Furyk's weird crooked swing...

... Trevino's goofy "homemade" flat swing...

... Bubba Watson's unusual "toe jump"...

... Fred Couples lazy "flying elbow" swing.

... Arnold Palmer's abbreviated helicopter finish.

All very different swings – with virtually identical ball flight, power and accuracy.

How's that possible?

Well they all have one thing in common. They all manage to get their hands in the exact same position at impact. And impact is the only thing that really counts.

Essentially you want a flat left wrist and a bent right wrist through the hitting zone. Do that, and you're golden. It doesn't matter how screwy the rest of your swing is.

So KEEP your current swing – no matter what the so-called experts are telling you – and simply educate your hands to be in the proper position at impact.

 

Stupid question, but at least I correctly chose the "least wrong" answer. Hello Stupid Quiz!

 
Quote:

 

4) What best indicates if you're lined up to the target properly?

a. Your shoulders.
b. Your hips.
c. Your eyes.
d. That invisible line running along the tips of your feet.

 

The correct answer is: "B", Your hips.

Your hips are the biggest indicator of where the ball will fly.

Again, most amateurs are unknowingly aiming to the right of their target.

Which means you're wrongly setting up with your hips aiming right.

The trouble really starts when you begin making clever adjustments in your swing to compensate. Pretty soon you're topping, chunking, and spraying balls around the course like buck shot.

It's no wonder you have no consistency.

The solution is to line up square to the target. I suggest that you use a club shaft lined up along your heels as that's the best indicator of how your hips are aligned (not your toes).

Get your hips straight, and the rest falls into place.

 

That's not right either. Ask Lee Trevino. There was no good answer here, though.

 

Quote:

5) True power shots are a "chain reaction" that starts where?

a. The left hand (for right handed golfers).
b. The inside hip.
c. The feet.
d. The shoulder blades.
e. None of the above.

 

The correct answer is: "C", Your feet.

Let's briefly cover what pros call the "Chain Reaction" – and the good news is there's no Plutonium required.

This is about generating golf swing power from the ground up... through your feet...knees... hips... shoulders... arms... hands... and ultimately though the head of the club into the ball.

Any break or disruption in this "chain" will quickly turn your A-bomb power-swing into a wet firecracker.

The key is to get every ounce of energy possible transferred into the ball – and that doesn't mean you need size and strength. It's why a 130-pound bookworm can crush 300-yard drives while a 275-pound line backer is duffing 180-yarders.

Understand that the bookworm isn't stronger... he's simply getting more of the energy to the ball – where it counts.

The trick is to get rid of as many of your "power leaks" as possible by keeping your "chain reaction" intact.

Okay... the driving force of the swing is your core pivot. But what many beginners simply ignore is that the power of the pivot comes from the ground.

That means of course that it all starts with your feet.

Think of it like throwing a punch. Most guys instinctively plant their foot and drive off of it to deliver the punch.

You don't focus on some weird "weight-shift" or "release" or any other nonsense.

So it is with a powerful golf swing. It depends on using your "connection" with the ground to generate explosive raw power.

This power is transferred from the feet on up, (often called "loading" the feet), through the "chain" and eventually into the golf ball. So it's absolutely critical to maintain the integrity of every link in your chain.

 

Your feet don't do much, though, so I'd have said your legs. Or knees. So I had to pick the thing closest. Ground up.

 

BTW, if that's all true, the 130-pound bookworm has a higher hand speed than the 275-pound linebacker.

 

Quote:

 

6) What is the average core pivot speed of an amateur golfer?

a. 85 to 100 mph.
b. 50 to 85 mph.
c. 15 to 20 mph.
d. 1/2 to 1 mph.

 

The correct answer is: "D", 1/2 to 1 mph.

Allow me to tell you something a little weird.

To get a smokin' fast clubhead speed... you've got to move SLOW.

Like I said, seems weird... but hear me out. Because it's about to get even weirder.

You may already know that all the raw power in your golf swing comes from the core pivot of your body. By focusing on turning your hips and allowing the shoulders, arms and hands to loosely "go along for the ride", you create a professional power swing.

And here's the weirder part. Do you know the core-pivot speed of the world's best tour players?

It's just 2 miles per hour! That's it!

What's more amazing... the average handicap golfer's core-pivot speed is just 1/2 to 1 mile per hour.

So here's the bottom line: Stop focusing on your clubhead speed and instead think about your core pivot speed.

Why? Because even the hottest tour pros can't concentrate on a clubhead moving at 100 miles per hour or more. But it's EASY to focus in on something moving just 1 or 2 miles per hour.

And even a one-half mile an hour increase in your core pivot – the speed of a tortoise – will result in an incredible increase in your clubhead speed.

The key is not to allow the swing to "disconnect" from your core pivot by activating the arms and hands.

And that's where I always see the biggest problems. High-handicappers think they can get more clubhead velocity by "speeding up their hands" and throwing the club at the ball.

Forget it... doesn't work.

Instead, keep your arms and hands "loose as noodles" and move SLOW from the top of the swing. As you pivot, allow them to build energy like a wave moving through your feet... knees... hips... shoulders... arms... and hands... in that order.

 

:doh:

 

Quote:

 

7) Hitting a poor "fat or thin" shot indicates you're having problems with:

a. Lifting your head.
b. Reverse weight shift.
c. Poor set-up position.
d. A stalled pivot.
e. None of the above.

 

The correct answer is: "D", A stalled pivot.

Poorly hit shots – fat or thin – can often be traced to "stalling" your pivot. In other words, not finishing your turn.

So in order to actually get the clubface to the ball you're forced to activate your arms and hands. This causes a lot of problems, including the "fat" or "thin" shot, as well as a slices and major inconsistencies.

The solution here is two-fold.

First is to always finish the swing with a full pivot. That's where your power comes from.

Second is to "educate" your hands.

Because the difference between hitting the ball "fat" or "thin" is only a matter of millimeters. So you must be able to make very subtle and minor adjustments - which is exactly what educated hands can do.

It'll dramatically improve the consistency, power and especially the accuracy of your shots. Because without these minor adjustments how in the world could you expect to hit the club's "sweet spot" – about the size of a dime – consistently?

Remember that the hands are like a 5-star Army General and your pivot is like the soldiers.

The General tells the soldiers exactly where to go, and the soldiers provide the physical power to get the job done. The General does NO physical work - but his role is critical.

 

I'd pick A or B before I'd pick "A stalled pivot." I'd give up, but there are only two questions left.

 
Quote:

 

8) Which of the following would help you take your good "driving range" swings to the course?

a. Practicing on the range just before tee time.
b. Playing the same brand of ball you practice with.
c. "Seeing" each shot with mental imagery.
d. An established pre-shot routine.

 

The correct answer is: "D", An established pre-shot routine.

This is the simple way you can "install" the correct stuff into your muscle memory so that you never "forget" it.

By developing your own extremely consistent 3 or 4 part pre-shot routine on the range, you will build complete consistency and predictability into your game.

Here's some tips about the pre-shot routine.

First: Approach every shot from behind, looking down the target line.

Next: Use a visual reference - like a divot, a leaf, or something else lying on the ground, to line up your ball to the target.

It's illegal (though technically not stated in the U.S. Constitution), to drop your own reference point into place. You've got to use something that's already on the ground.

While lined up and in your stance, check your target by rolling your head, not picking it up.

Third: Use a "waggle", a toe tap, or some other physical movement to trigger the start of your swing.

Don't stand over the ball thinking. Allow the pre-shot routine to take over and do its job.

Do it EVERY time, even on the range (maybe every 3rd or 4th shot). Stick with it and allow this process to build your swing into a thing of consistency and beauty.

Because the problem is that most guys try this just once, then throw it out the window because it feels "weird".

Well, there's a reason why so many people remain poor golfers for their entire life. They simply don't implement some rather simple suggestions to help take their game to the next level.

 

Yeah, whatever. Such BS. None of those answers were good. I can't say whether this was the "best" available. Maybe?

 

Quote:

9) What do pros say is the quickest way amateurs can improve their game?

a. Increased accuracy.
b. Better equipment.
c. More power and distance.
d. Greater stamina.

 

The correct answer is: "A", Increased accuracy.

Did you know that 99% of all amateurs can't break 90 on an easy course? Doesn't matter how long they've been playing the game either.

The big problem is accuracy. Very few golfers can hit their driver or long irons with ANY kind of predictable distance or consistency.

Well, it's not the equipment my friend – it's the operator. Poor technique means that a $400 driver won't help you.

The key is to achieve a more simple swing through proper alignment and educated hands. This will allow you to find the "sweet spot" on the club face far more often while delivering more effortless power through the ball.

You can train your hands with power chips and pitches. This helps you see if your wrists are in the correct position or if they're breaking down at impact. When you get it right, you'll get that wonderful crisp sound just as the ball fires off the clubface.

A pure power shot that seems like you're doing nothing.

So remember – focus on getting your hands in the correct position at impact and you'll achieve greater power and accuracy.

 

Pros are morons.

 

post #6 of 15

1: True or False. One of the most effective ways the pros increase their clubhead speed is to simply swing their arms faster.

a. True
b. False

I think my first inclination was going to be false, but I accidentally saw Erik's true answer when I was copying and pasting the questions.  I trust him.

 

2: What do professional golfers concentrate on most to ensure consistent and accurate golf shots?

a. Weight transfer through the ball.
b. A good comfortable grip.
c. Proper alignment with the target.
d. Smooth tempo and timing.

 

3: The pros agree: Correctly performing this one simple task will ensure you both a good solid "10 yard" chip shot and an additional 30 yards to your tee-shots. What is it?

a. Addressing the ball properly ("hello ball").
b. Knowing how to shift your weight throughout the swing.
c. Making sure the clubface is in correct impact position.
d. Stopping all head movement during the swing.

This is a guess, but it says "simple task" and the only other answer I was leaning towards was B, but that's not really simple.

 

4: What best indicates if you're lined up to the target properly?

a. Your shoulders.
b. Your hips.
c. Your eyes.
d. That invisible line running along the tips of your feet.

 

5: True power shots are a "chain reaction" that starts where?

a. The left hand (for right handed golfers).
b. The inside hip.
c. The feet.
d. The shoulder blades.
e. None of the above.

 

6: What is the average core pivot speed of an amateur golfer?

a. 85 to 100 mph.
b. 50 to 85 mph.
c. 15 to 20 mph.
d. 1/2 to 1 mph.

Couldn't express how wild of a guess this one is.  You could tell me any number is correct and I'll believe you.

 

7: Hitting a poor "fat or thin" shot usually indicates you're having problems with:

a. Lifting your head.
b. Reverse weight shift.
c. Poor set-up position.
d. A stalled pivot.
e. None of the above.

It could be any number of things, could it not?  Your low point is in the wrong spot, but I don't know why.

 

8: Which of the following would help you take your good "driving range" swings to the course?

a. Practicing on the range just before tee time.
b. Playing the same brand of ball you practice with.
c. "Seeing" each shot with mental imagery.
d. An established pre-shot routine.

LOL to choice B.  I'd love to see somebody out there playing scratch golf with Taylor Made "RANGE" balls with the two stripes.  That would rock!

 

9: What do pros say is the quickest way amateurs can improve their game?

a. Increased accuracy.
b. Better equipment.
c. More power and distance.
d. Greater stamina.

Unless this quiz is sponsored by one of the OEM's, then definitely B.

 

That was "fun," did I even get one right??

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingGolf View Post
 

I took it also and put in an old email address so I could see the answers.

 

Here they are if you want to see them.

 

Answers (Click to show)

1) True or False. One of the most effective ways the pros increase their club head speed is to simply swing their arms faster.

a. True
b. False

 

The correct answer is: "B", False.

Most high-handicappers attempt to add power to their drives through their arms and hands. This is incorrect. Keep your arms nimble, your wrists supple, and your hands "soft" while concentrating on your PIVOT.

Fact is, any attempt to accelerate your arms to create clubhead speed will only "rob" you of power. Your arms can only generate (at most) a 65-70mph "slap" at the ball – which is why they refer to arm speed at "false speed".

On the other hand, a proper pivot means a clubhead moving at 100mph or more.


2) What do professional golfers concentrate on most to ensure consistent and accurate golf shots?

a. Weight transfer through the ball.
b. A good comfortable grip.
c. Proper alignment with the target.
d. Smooth tempo and timing.

 

The correct answer is: "C", Proper alignment with the target.

Did you know that MOST amateurs aim RIGHT to their intended target?

Confirm this for yourself at the range. Pick a target, line up your shot, then – without moving your feet – stop and carefully align a club along your heels. (Not along your toes.)

Next, step back and see exactly where the shaft is pointing. I'll bet it's to the right of your target.

The solution is to line up square to the target – even slightly left – every single time. Use the club-to-heel trick to help you eliminate the tricks your eyes are playing on you.

Won't take long to nail this down. Pretty soon you'll automatically "see" the correct target alignment.

It's amazing at how fast this can improve your distance and accuracy.


3) The pros agree: Correctly performing this one simple task will ensure you both a good solid "10 yard" chip shot and an additional 30 yards to your tee-shots. What is it?

a. Addressing the ball properly ("hello ball").
b. Knowing how to shift your weight throughout the swing.
c. Making sure the clubface is in correct impact position.
d. Stopping all head movement during the swing.

 

The correct answer is: "C". Making sure the clubface is in correct impact position.

The key to getting the clubface on the ball properly is educated hands.

For example, ever wonder why the pros have such wildly different swings – and yet every one of them can fly a golf ball along the exact same trajectory?

Think about that for a second.

Furyk's weird crooked swing...

... Trevino's goofy "homemade" flat swing...

... Bubba Watson's unusual "toe jump"...

... Fred Couples lazy "flying elbow" swing.

... Arnold Palmer's abbreviated helicopter finish.

All very different swings – with virtually identical ball flight, power and accuracy.

How's that possible?

Well they all have one thing in common. They all manage to get their hands in the exact same position at impact. And impact is the only thing that really counts.

Essentially you want a flat left wrist and a bent right wrist through the hitting zone. Do that, and you're golden. It doesn't matter how screwy the rest of your swing is.

So KEEP your current swing – no matter what the so-called experts are telling you – and simply educate your hands to be in the proper position at impact.


4) What best indicates if you're lined up to the target properly?

a. Your shoulders.
b. Your hips.
c. Your eyes.
d. That invisible line running along the tips of your feet.

 

The correct answer is: "B", Your hips.

Your hips are the biggest indicator of where the ball will fly.

Again, most amateurs are unknowingly aiming to the right of their target.

Which means you're wrongly setting up with your hips aiming right.

The trouble really starts when you begin making clever adjustments in your swing to compensate. Pretty soon you're topping, chunking, and spraying balls around the course like buck shot.

It's no wonder you have no consistency.

The solution is to line up square to the target. I suggest that you use a club shaft lined up along your heels as that's the best indicator of how your hips are aligned (not your toes).

Get your hips straight, and the rest falls into place.


5) True power shots are a "chain reaction" that starts where?

a. The left hand (for right handed golfers).
b. The inside hip.
c. The feet.
d. The shoulder blades.
e. None of the above.

 

The correct answer is: "C", Your feet.

Let's briefly cover what pros call the "Chain Reaction" – and the good news is there's no Plutonium required.

This is about generating golf swing power from the ground up... through your feet...knees... hips... shoulders... arms... hands... and ultimately though the head of the club into the ball.

Any break or disruption in this "chain" will quickly turn your A-bomb power-swing into a wet firecracker.

The key is to get every ounce of energy possible transferred into the ball – and that doesn't mean you need size and strength. It's why a 130-pound bookworm can crush 300-yard drives while a 275-pound line backer is duffing 180-yarders.

Understand that the bookworm isn't stronger... he's simply getting more of the energy to the ball – where it counts.

The trick is to get rid of as many of your "power leaks" as possible by keeping your "chain reaction" intact.

Okay... the driving force of the swing is your core pivot. But what many beginners simply ignore is that the power of the pivot comes from the ground.

That means of course that it all starts with your feet.

Think of it like throwing a punch. Most guys instinctively plant their foot and drive off of it to deliver the punch.

You don't focus on some weird "weight-shift" or "release" or any other nonsense.

So it is with a powerful golf swing. It depends on using your "connection" with the ground to generate explosive raw power.

This power is transferred from the feet on up, (often called "loading" the feet), through the "chain" and eventually into the golf ball. So it's absolutely critical to maintain the integrity of every link in your chain.


6) What is the average core pivot speed of an amateur golfer?

a. 85 to 100 mph.
b. 50 to 85 mph.
c. 15 to 20 mph.
d. 1/2 to 1 mph.

 

The correct answer is: "D", 1/2 to 1 mph.

Allow me to tell you something a little weird.

To get a smokin' fast clubhead speed... you've got to move SLOW.

Like I said, seems weird... but hear me out. Because it's about to get even weirder.

You may already know that all the raw power in your golf swing comes from the core pivot of your body. By focusing on turning your hips and allowing the shoulders, arms and hands to loosely "go along for the ride", you create a professional power swing.

And here's the weirder part. Do you know the core-pivot speed of the world's best tour players?

It's just 2 miles per hour! That's it!

What's more amazing... the average handicap golfer's core-pivot speed is just 1/2 to 1 mile per hour.

So here's the bottom line: Stop focusing on your clubhead speed and instead think about your core pivot speed.

Why? Because even the hottest tour pros can't concentrate on a clubhead moving at 100 miles per hour or more. But it's EASY to focus in on something moving just 1 or 2 miles per hour.

And even a one-half mile an hour increase in your core pivot – the speed of a tortoise – will result in an incredible increase in your clubhead speed.

The key is not to allow the swing to "disconnect" from your core pivot by activating the arms and hands.

And that's where I always see the biggest problems. High-handicappers think they can get more clubhead velocity by "speeding up their hands" and throwing the club at the ball.

Forget it... doesn't work.

Instead, keep your arms and hands "loose as noodles" and move SLOW from the top of the swing. As you pivot, allow them to build energy like a wave moving through your feet... knees... hips... shoulders... arms... and hands... in that order.


7) Hitting a poor "fat or thin" shot indicates you're having problems with:

a. Lifting your head.
b. Reverse weight shift.
c. Poor set-up position.
d. A stalled pivot.
e. None of the above.

 

The correct answer is: "D", A stalled pivot.

Poorly hit shots – fat or thin – can often be traced to "stalling" your pivot. In other words, not finishing your turn.

So in order to actually get the clubface to the ball you're forced to activate your arms and hands. This causes a lot of problems, including the "fat" or "thin" shot, as well as a slices and major inconsistencies.

The solution here is two-fold.

First is to always finish the swing with a full pivot. That's where your power comes from.

Second is to "educate" your hands.

Because the difference between hitting the ball "fat" or "thin" is only a matter of millimeters. So you must be able to make very subtle and minor adjustments - which is exactly what educated hands can do.

It'll dramatically improve the consistency, power and especially the accuracy of your shots. Because without these minor adjustments how in the world could you expect to hit the club's "sweet spot" – about the size of a dime – consistently?

Remember that the hands are like a 5-star Army General and your pivot is like the soldiers.

The General tells the soldiers exactly where to go, and the soldiers provide the physical power to get the job done. The General does NO physical work - but his role is critical.


8) Which of the following would help you take your good "driving range" swings to the course?

a. Practicing on the range just before tee time.
b. Playing the same brand of ball you practice with.
c. "Seeing" each shot with mental imagery.
d. An established pre-shot routine.

 

The correct answer is: "D", An established pre-shot routine.

This is the simple way you can "install" the correct stuff into your muscle memory so that you never "forget" it.

By developing your own extremely consistent 3 or 4 part pre-shot routine on the range, you will build complete consistency and predictability into your game.

Here's some tips about the pre-shot routine.

First: Approach every shot from behind, looking down the target line.

Next: Use a visual reference - like a divot, a leaf, or something else lying on the ground, to line up your ball to the target.

It's illegal (though technically not stated in the U.S. Constitution), to drop your own reference point into place. You've got to use something that's already on the ground.

While lined up and in your stance, check your target by rolling your head, not picking it up.

Third: Use a "waggle", a toe tap, or some other physical movement to trigger the start of your swing.

Don't stand over the ball thinking. Allow the pre-shot routine to take over and do its job.

Do it EVERY time, even on the range (maybe every 3rd or 4th shot). Stick with it and allow this process to build your swing into a thing of consistency and beauty.

Because the problem is that most guys try this just once, then throw it out the window because it feels "weird".

Well, there's a reason why so many people remain poor golfers for their entire life. They simply don't implement some rather simple suggestions to help take their game to the next level.


9) What do pros say is the quickest way amateurs can improve their game?

a. Increased accuracy.
b. Better equipment.
c. More power and distance.
d. Greater stamina.

 

The correct answer is: "A", Increased accuracy.

Did you know that 99% of all amateurs can't break 90 on an easy course? Doesn't matter how long they've been playing the game either.

The big problem is accuracy. Very few golfers can hit their driver or long irons with ANY kind of predictable distance or consistency.

Well, it's not the equipment my friend – it's the operator. Poor technique means that a $400 driver won't help you.

The key is to achieve a more simple swing through proper alignment and educated hands. This will allow you to find the "sweet spot" on the club face far more often while delivering more effortless power through the ball.

You can train your hands with power chips and pitches. This helps you see if your wrists are in the correct position or if they're breaking down at impact. When you get it right, you'll get that wonderful crisp sound just as the ball fires off the clubface.

A pure power shot that seems like you're doing nothing.

So remember – focus on getting your hands in the correct position at impact and you'll achieve greater power and accuracy.


 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

That was "fun," did I even get one right??

LOL.

 

Well, if I go with how well I matched Erik, then it looks like I got 4/8 correct (#1 doesn't count - I cheated)

 

If I go with the quiz proctors, then I got exactly ONE correct ... and it's not one of the 4 I agreed with Erik on.

 

Ugh.

post #8 of 15
I got all right but #6. No idea. Unfortunately I struggle with about all these ideas. I think my grip may be causing me trouble.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

I got all right but #6. No idea. Unfortunately I struggle with about all these ideas. I think my grip may be causing me trouble.

 

I wouldn't read much into the results. The quiz is 100% terrible. :)

post #10 of 15

1: True or False. One of the most effective ways the pros increase their clubhead speed is to simply swing their arms faster.

a. True
b. False

 

A, but if the answer is somehow B, then this quiz is about as useful as glow-in-the-dark sunglasses. The correct answer is A because Justin Rose spent all of 2013 working on this exact thing. It was his priority piece with Sean Foley. 

 

He won the US Open. Again, if the answer is B, whoever wrote this quiz is a moron. 

 

 

2: What do professional golfers concentrate on most to ensure consistent and accurate golf shots?

a. Weight transfer through the ball.
b. A good comfortable grip.
c. Proper alignment with the target.
d. Smooth tempo and timing.

 

Trick question, so I'm not answering it, and now I've realized this is a "comics thread" worthy quiz. I just scrolled up and read Erik's answer to this, and well yea, he agrees. So now as I finish the quiz, I'll make more of a point to shame whoever wrote this thing. 

 

I'm sorry, Mr.Quiz Writing Genius, but no, not every pro thinks of the exact same thing when he wants to ensure "consistent and accurate golf shots." One size does not fit all. 

 

3: The pros agree: Correctly performing this one simple task will ensure you both a good solid "10 yard" chip shot and an additional 30 yards to your tee-shots. What is it?

a. Addressing the ball properly ("hello ball").
b. Knowing how to shift your weight throughout the swing.
c. Making sure the clubface is in correct impact position.
d. Stopping all head movement during the swing.

 

None of these options alone "ensure" a damn thing when it comes to 30 more yards off the tee or a solid chipping motion. Dumb question. 

 

And if the answer is "C" then this is truly obnoxious. Yes, this "one simple task" will make you better. Have a good impact position! Weeeee! Now you're better. Jeez, that's like telling someone that in order to play better golf, they should have a good swing. Thanks. Let's "make sure" I have a good impact position on this one! Now I'm a golfer!

 

4: What best indicates if you're lined up to the target properly?

a. Your shoulders.
b. Your hips.
c. Your eyes.
d. That invisible line running along the tips of your feet.

 

Uhhhh, I suspected none, and then cheated to see what Erik wrote, and he said "none" too so now I feel anger towards this quiz for making me question myself in such an asinine way :-D

 

5: True power shots are a "chain reaction" that starts where?

a. The left hand (for right handed golfers).
b. The inside hip.
c. The feet.
d. The shoulder blades.
e. None of the above.

 

I guess if you lift your lead heel on the backswing, the answer might be C. I dunno, but it seems to me that "the chain reaction" begins with a number of pieces initiating simultaneously. So, another silly question. 

 

6: What is the average core pivot speed of an amateur golfer?

a. 85 to 100 mph.
b. 50 to 85 mph.
c. 15 to 20 mph.
d. 1/2 to 1 mph.

 

Uhhhhh.... does this quiz writer want to feel how hard I can punch?

 

7: Hitting a poor "fat or thin" shot usually indicates you're having problems with:

a. Lifting your head.
b. Reverse weight shift.
c. Poor set-up position.
d. A stalled pivot.
e. None of the above.

 

Dude, come on. 

 

8: Which of the following would help you take your good "driving range" swings to the course?

a. Practicing on the range just before tee time.
b. Playing the same brand of ball you practice with.
c. "Seeing" each shot with mental imagery.
d. An established pre-shot routine.

 

Finally a question that isn't absurdly misguided. I guess I would say all of the above here could definitely help people, depending on the person.... Except for B. But that would be fun to do actually. Personal shag bags of your "retired" good balls can be a really good idea. 

 

9: What do pros say is the quickest way amateurs can improve their game?

a. Increased accuracy.
b. Better equipment.
c. More power and distance.
d. Greater stamina.

 

The quickest way? Get a better short game. It's not nearly as difficult to learn than the full swing, and no high handicappers have a stock pitch/chip shot around the greens that they can consistently hit and control distance and trajectory with. A good instructor can turn a bad player's short game around in one day. The full swing takes a lot more time to improve, and even though improving that is the best way to lower scores and become a good player, the fastest/quickest way to do it is to make a bad short game good. 

 

 

 

Sorry, I needed to add some stuff to this, so I edited. I guess I sound like a bit of a jerk in this quiz, so my apologies, guys. 


Edited by JetFan1983 - 5/4/14 at 8:32am
post #11 of 15

Pretty funny correct answers.

 

1. I thought total and absolute BS on so many counts including how fast I can move my hands.

 

2. Okay with the caveat that it's "proper" for them (like in individual).

 

3.I would say both B and C.

 

4. I would say "A", "B", "C", and the unavailable center of the ankles. If one foot is flared more than the other (as I do) an actual "toe line" has nothing to do with alignment.

 

5. Okay

 

6. Correct but makes a joke of number 1.

 

7. I would say the unavailable "All of the above".

 

8. I like "C" much, much better.

 

9. Okay.

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

1: True or False. One of the most effective ways the pros increase their clubhead speed is to simply swing their arms faster.
a. True
b. False

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

2: What do professional golfers concentrate on most to ensure consistent and accurate golf shots?
a. Weight transfer through the ball.
b. A good comfortable grip.
c. Proper alignment with the target.
d. Smooth tempo and timing.

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

3: The pros agree: Correctly performing this one simple task will ensure you both a good solid "10 yard" chip shot and an additional 30 yards to your tee-shots. What is it?
a. Addressing the ball properly ("hello ball").
b. Knowing how to shift your weight throughout the swing.
c. Making sure the clubface is in correct impact position.
d. Stopping all head movement during the swing.

C (Though golf's pervasive stuffiness wants me to put A. "Hello ball. Cheerio. How was your day? Yada yada yada.")
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

4: What best indicates if you're lined up to the target properly?
a. Your shoulders.
b. Your hips.
c. Your eyes.
d. That invisible line running along the tips of your feet.

D (But that's a stupid question. They all matter.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

5: True power shots are a "chain reaction" that starts where?
a. The left hand (for right handed golfers).
b. The inside hip.
c. The feet.
d. The shoulder blades.
e. None of the above.

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

6: What is the average core pivot speed of an amateur golfer?
a. 85 to 100 mph.
b. 50 to 85 mph.
c. 15 to 20 mph.
d. 1/2 to 1 mph.

A (? I really don't have a clue.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

7: Hitting a poor "fat or thin" shot usually indicates you're having problems with:
a. Lifting your head.
b. Reverse weight shift.
c. Poor set-up position.
d. A stalled pivot.
e. None of the above.

A (Shouldn't there be an "All of the above?")
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

8: Which of the following would help you take your good "driving range" swings to the course?
a. Practicing on the range just before tee time.
b. Playing the same brand of ball you practice with.
c. "Seeing" each shot with mental imagery.
d. An established pre-shot routine.

D (Again, A and C would help too.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

9: What do pros say is the quickest way amateurs can improve their game?
a. Increased accuracy.
b. Better equipment.
c. More power and distance.
d. Greater stamina.

C (But that doesn't apply to irons.)

That was monumentally stupid. I feel dumber.
post #13 of 15

In general, anyone who's trying to sell me something on a web site and it features a self playing video or even low audio levels on the opening page, I'm pretty much going to close the window without looking at whatever they're selling.

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

In general, anyone who's trying to sell me something on a web site and it features a self playing video or even low audio levels on the opening page, I'm pretty much going to close the window without looking at whatever they're selling.

Well you're no fun! a2_wink.gif
post #15 of 15
Well....if it's Nigerian....yeah. But sometimes those tiny shacks you ignore on the side if the road have the best tacos ......lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › What answers did you give on the "Quiz" ad running on this site?