or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › I go from one extreme to another.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I go from one extreme to another.

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Up until a couple of weeks ago I had the problem of hooking my long irons and my driver.  So I took the advise I received on this forum and posted my swing under Members Swings as well as on the Golf Channel's Swing Fix.  I took the advise I received and tried to get into a more athletic stance and changed my swing a bit.  And I also purchased a used Ping G25 9.5 driver, set to 9.  I went to the range and taped the face of the driver and hit a half bucket.  I found that the Ping driver feels much better, I am making better contact and am hitting the sweet spot (or close to it) instead of the toe hits.  However now I have a horrible slice.  I am in the process of finding a pro right now, but I would like some advise as to what I might work on until I go for my first lesson.

Thanks

post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnl390 View Post
 

Up until a couple of weeks ago I had the problem of hooking my long irons and my driver.  So I took the advise I received on this forum and posted my swing under Members Swings as well as on the Golf Channel's Swing Fix.  I took the advise I received and tried to get into a more athletic stance and changed my swing a bit.  And I also purchased a used Ping G25 9.5 driver, set to 9.  I went to the range and taped the face of the driver and hit a half bucket.  I found that the Ping driver feels much better, I am making better contact and am hitting the sweet spot (or close to it) instead of the toe hits.  However now I have a horrible slice.  I am in the process of finding a pro right now, but I would like some advise as to what I might work on until I go for my first lesson.

Thanks


I had a Ping G10 10.5* Regular TPC 129D shaft for 3 years and it did this EXACT same thing. I draw my long irons and draw/hook my 3 wood, but that Ping G10 had a wicked slice on it. I never could get rid of it. I put 2 different shafts in it (ProLaunch Platinum & Aldila NV both in stiff flex) and it never fixed anything. I ended up selling the driver 2 weeks ago and got a Callaway X Hot 9.5* Stiff. Problem gone! This driver even draws/hooks like my 3 wood. I have a friend who has the G15 and it does the same thing for him. Can't figure out why. I'm beginning to think it's Ping?

post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnl390 View Post

I am making better contact and am hitting the sweet spot (or close to it) instead of the toe hits.  However now I have a horrible slice.
I'm thinking gear effect from hitting off the toe probably contributed to the ball flight. Now that you are hitting closer to the sweetspot, the ball will behave more in line with your swing.

Btw, did you get fit or did you just buy the club and set it up? I'm just wondering why you would select 9 degrees as your loft.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Since I am one of those guys that thinks if I have Ping irons I want Ping woods. So I went through the fitting program on the Ping website. It actually recommended an 8.5 loft. I picked up the 9 cheap, so why not give it a try.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnl390 View Post

Since I am one of those guys that thinks if I have Ping irons I want Ping woods. So I went through the fitting program on the Ping website. It actually recommended an 8.5 loft. I picked up the 9 cheap, so why not give it a try.
I never did like those online "fitting" systems.

I took a look at your swing thread; it appears to me that your hooks were coming from either the toe hits or a left facing clubface at impact. Just by looking at your swing, I would have assumed you slice the ball.

I'm assuming you looked at the videos @iacas linked; how have the changes been? You should update the thread when you get a chance.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnl390 View Post

Since I am one of those guys that thinks if I have Ping irons I want Ping woods. So I went through the fitting program on the Ping website. It actually recommended an 8.5 loft. I picked up the 9 cheap, so why not give it a try.


Ok, now I'm intrigued. Why did the Ping program recommend only 8.5* loft? What is your driver swing speed? Would you characterize your swing as being a sweeping swing, hit the ball on the up swing, or hit the ball on the down swing?

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Changes to my swing, knees bent, butt out, chin up and arms straighter down. Backswing slower, left arm straighter, elbows closer to my body ending up with left shoulder under my chin.
I feel like I am hitting the better, but still can't get consistently straight ball flight.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnl390 View Post

Changes to my swing, knees bent, butt out, chin up and arms straighter down.

Please see this thread:  Good Golf Posture

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnl390 View Post

I feel like I am hitting the better, but still can't get consistently straight ball flight.

Better contact is good, but it's not really about hitting the ball straight so much as hitting a curve that you can control and account for.

 

Try to update your swing thread. It will be easier to go through what you need to work on if we can see the video of what you are actually doing.

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Will do
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › I go from one extreme to another.