or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (dbrock504)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (dbrock504) - Page 2

post #19 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

Not sure you picked up what I was puttin' down.


Believe me, I got it, and it's correct. Hence why I agreed by saying "exactly". It's a brain buster when someone admits they're wrong, isn't it? However, if you're just going to type negativity, I would rather it not be posted. I'm sure you can appreciate that.

post #20 of 42
Thread Starter 

@iacas obviously that "flip" isn't a good thing. Personally, I don't really see a "big flip". I do see that it's lined up with my front shoulder, but I really don't think it's that far off. My ball flight is ideal and that ball went its designated distance (170-180). Can you please elaborate the hazards of doing what I'm doing in comparison to that still shot of Bubba? Just looking for some clarity. Thanks

post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

@iacas obviously that "flip" isn't a good thing. Personally, I don't really see a "big flip". I do see that it's lined up with my front shoulder, but I really don't think it's that far off.

 

I disagree:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

My ball flight is ideal and that ball went its designated distance (170-180).

 

What's the peak height? What's the vertical launch angle?

 

In other words, how do you know it's "ideal"? Just because it went 170-180?

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

Can you please elaborate the hazards of doing what I'm doing in comparison to that still shot of Bubba? Just looking for some clarity. Thanks

 

Ball's too far back. You moved it back because you flip and that's one of the ways to try to help you hit it solidly.

 

It's a compensation. If you improve your swing, you'll hit the ball far too low, so you'll be held back and you won't want to or be able to improve your swing because the results will be "bad" even though the swing itself is better.

post #22 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

I disagree:

 

 

 

What's the peak height? What's the vertical launch angle?

 

In other words, how do you know it's "ideal"? Just because it went 170-180?

 

 

Ball's too far back. You moved it back because you flip and that's one of the ways to try to help you hit it solidly.

 

It's a compensation. If you improve your swing, you'll hit the ball far too low, so you'll be held back and you won't want to or be able to improve your swing because the results will be "bad" even though the swing itself is better.


I feel as if it only looks like that because the ball was place further back there. I know you keep calling it a compensation, although it looks like it, it isn't. I always felt awkward and disliked having a long iron in the back of my stance. I really thought that was how it was supposed to be done. I was mistaken. Like I said before, 7 iron, 8 iron, I play directly in the middle of my stance and those are my 2 favorite clubs. I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining myself as all you can see are those few images I have uploaded.

 

I don't know that it's "ideal" ball flight technically. According to the monitor when I was being fit last November with the 6i I want to say I had a swing speed of avg 82 and a launch angle of 14? (I really can't remember perfectly, it's been 7 months), but to the naked eye, it flies well. It climbs nicely with no apparent side spin.

 

I will get you some different pics soon so we can side step the issue of the ball being too far back there. That in itself is a mistake I wish to move past. We have established that as an issue, thank you.

 

Again, you didn't answer my question. I asked what the hazards were of not having that lead arm in the proper position. Thanks

post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

I feel as if it only looks like that because the ball was place further back there.

 

It would look worse with the ball farther forward.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

I know you keep calling it a compensation, although it looks like it, it isn't.

 

Yes it is. A back ball position compensates for your flip because it helps you strike the ball cleanly. With a flip and good ball position, you would hit the ball fat and thin.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

I always felt awkward and disliked having a long iron in the back of my stance.

 

The longer the club the more flip golfers tend to have.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

Like I said before, 7 iron, 8 iron, I play directly in the middle of my stance and those are my 2 favorite clubs.

 

Those should be forward of center too. The only clubs typically played in the center of the stance, and most of the time they're just forward of center as well, are wedges.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining myself as all you can see are those few images I have uploaded.

 

You're not reading, either.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

I will get you some different pics soon so we can side step the issue of the ball being too far back there. That in itself is a mistake I wish to move past. We have established that as an issue, thank you.

 

You don't seem to be understanding something here: the club is flipping past your hands. If you move the ball forward, it will be hit later in your golf swing, and the flip will be even bigger.

 

You flip. You need to work on that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

Again, you didn't answer my question. I asked what the hazards were of not having that lead arm in the proper position. Thanks

 

I did. Right here:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Ball's too far back. You moved it back because you flip and that's one of the ways to try to help you hit it solidly.

 

It's a compensation. If you improve your swing, you'll hit the ball far too low, so you'll be held back and you won't want to or be able to improve your swing because the results will be "bad" even though the swing itself is better.

 

The answer's right there. You flip. If you stop flipping, with a back ball position, you're going to hit the ball way too  low.

 

You need to fix the flip. The back ball position compensates for it. Your swing needs a good amount of work. Key #3 is a difficult piece, especially if it can't be fixed by working on Key #2 (your Key #2 is not too bad).

post #24 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

You need to fix the flip. The back ball position compensates for it. Your swing needs a good amount of work. Key #3 is a difficult piece, especially if it can't be fixed by working on Key #2 (your Key #2 is not too bad).

Ok, I understand now. Sorry for the confusion. I will work on that tomorrow at the range, and get back to you. Thanks for the clarification.

post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 

I will work on that tomorrow at the range

 

How?

post #26 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

How?


I don't have an exact plan, per se. It's not like anyone gave me any drills or anything. This is my "plan" (a pre-sorry for using "layman's" terms as I don't know the technical terms):

 

--I'm going to start with the 5 iron and hit a few with the ball farther in the front of my stance, rather than being in the back, just to see how bad my flip really is.

--Next, I'm going to try to "trail" my wrists (not my hands) to the impact of the ball to get that proper form on the ball contact.

--Focus on getting the arms and wrists right while still rolling the hands properly to make sure the club face is square at impact.

--Next, I'm going to play with the 4 iron being farther in the front, considering I used to play it off my back heel.

 

This is really all I have, if I have anything at all... If not, I will go back to what I'm doing (which seems to be working specifically with all my irons). To be honest, I'm not concerned with shooting par, I just want to enjoy the game more by making less mistakes off the tee box. Obviously, implementing the proper mechanics such as this will do just that. I realize that, and that's why I'm going to do my best to fix this issue. I am a college student, and although I would love to get lessons to help adjust this issue, I just can't afford $75/hr. I'm going to do what I have always done and try to figure it out... (which obviously hasn't been good enough, but then again, it could be worse)

post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 


I don't have an exact plan, per se. It's not like anyone gave me any drills or anything. This is my "plan" (a pre-sorry for using "layman's" terms as I don't know the technical terms):

 

--I'm going to start with the 5 iron and hit a few with the ball farther in the front of my stance, rather than being in the back, just to see how bad my flip really is.

--Next, I'm going to try to "trail" my wrists (not my hands) to the impact of the ball to get that proper form on the ball contact.

--Focus on getting the arms and wrists right while still rolling the hands properly to make sure the club face is square at impact.

--Next, I'm going to play with the 4 iron being farther in the front, considering I used to play it off my back heel.

 

This is really all I have, if I have anything at all... If not, I will go back to what I'm doing (which seems to be working specifically with all my irons). To be honest, I'm not concerned with shooting par, I just want to enjoy the game more by making less mistakes off the tee box. Obviously, implementing the proper mechanics such as this will do just that. I realize that, and that's why I'm going to do my best to fix this issue. I am a college student, and although I would love to get lessons to help adjust this issue, I just can't afford $75/hr. I'm going to do what I have always done and try to figure it out... (which obviously hasn't been good enough, but then again, it could be worse)

 

Trail the wrist is good, but do it very very slowly. Really feel the back of that left wrist moving ahead of the ball. If you are doing this full speed you will never improve. 

 

Don't focus on rolling anything, http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws, check out that article on the Ball Flight Laws. You'll understand that shots are never hit squaring the clubface. 

 

I would be interesting to see video of both your swing with the new ball position. Also a video of you doing your drills, SLOWLY!!! 

post #28 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Trail the wrist is good, but do it very very slowly. Really feel the back of that left wrist moving ahead of the ball. If you are doing this full speed you will never improve. 

 

Don't focus on rolling anything, http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws, check out that article on the Ball Flight Laws. You'll understand that shots are never hit squaring the clubface. 

 

I would be interesting to see video of both your swing with the new ball position. Also a video of you doing your drills, SLOWLY!!! 


Yes sir. Thank you for the awesome advice. I will do that. SLOWLY. Gotcha. I will give that a read. I will get the guy out there to video face on and behind and upload both.

post #29 of 42
Thread Starter 

Alright. So I went to the range a day late because of the rain, but got some good work in. Now, before we start this, I would like to get this out. I am realizing that my swing has far more flaws in it than I thought it did. Worst part is, I don't know how to fix it. Worst part of fixing it becomes time and changing my swing to a point where I begin to do more damage than good. Without further ado, here are the pics and videos from the day.

 

I hit the 6 iron again, but this time focused on playing it in the proper position. To no surprise, @iacas was correct in that if I move it up, I won't be able to make proper contact due to my flip. So I then start to focus on "trailing" those wrists as @saevel25 and I discussed above. After trying about 75 balls, I just couldn't get it to work. I began to play it directly out of the middle of my stance, and I was no longer hitting it thin and the ball flight and trajectory was "ideal" to my naked eye.

 

 

 

 

As you can see in the 3rd picture, that flip really is more visible that I put the ball in the front of my stance. I noticed I was finding it much more difficult to cover the ball than I thought it would be. I also noticed the longer the club I went to, the less flip was present. Here is a still shot with my driver.

 

 

I was asked to take some videos to see my tempo. Here they are:

 

This first one was the 6 iron. Because I moved the ball toward the front-middle of the stance, I had a hard time making perfect contact, thus pushing the ball a little to my left. The push was also a consequence of a failed attempt of "trailing" my wrists.

 

 

This is the driver down the line. This was a pretty solid shot. No complaints here:

 

 

This is the driver face on. The first ball was a mishit and incorrect grip (too strong), and I wasn't satisfied, so I took a second. The second ball was a beautiful hit.

 

 

I know this will come up, so I'm going to say it now. My right knee (forward knee) does a little "shimmee" there like a baseball player. 16 years of baseball to thank for that. Not only is it my baseball habit, but I had an ACL surgery on that knee, so I get really "afraid" of the rotation on that knee. I have tried everything under the sun to stop that. It's comfortable and really feel "rigid" when I consciously try to keep it still.

 

I realize my swing has many flaws. I appreciate all comments and help, but be nice... Thanks fellas.

 

P.S. Sorry for the super low quality videos. I took them from my iPhone 5s

post #30 of 42
@dbrock504 , I don't have much to add. I don't know enough anyway. I will say that it would be in your best interest to hope that instead of being "nice" the guys will be "honest".
post #31 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

@dbrock504 , I don't have much to add. I don't know enough anyway. I will say that it would be in your best interest to hope that instead of being "nice" the guys will be "honest".


Right, but some people like to troll pages and say dumb stuff. That was really what I was targeting at. But yes, be honest.

post #32 of 42
Your iphone should take Hi-Speed videos at HD quality.-Do that next time.-Cant tell much about your swing from bad angles and tiny crappy 10 Frames a Second video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post

P.S. Sorry for the super low quality videos. I took them from my iPhone 5s
post #33 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

Your iphone should take Hi-Speed videos at HD quality.-Do that next time.-Cant tell much about your swing from bad angles and tiny crappy 10 Frames a Second video.


Bad angles? It's directly behind me and directly in front of me, but alright whatever you say. The videos them self look fine on my phone. The quality plummeted when I uploaded the videos to YouTube.

post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
 


Bad angles? It's directly behind me and directly in front of me, but alright whatever you say. The videos them self look fine on my phone. The quality plummeted when I uploaded the videos to YouTube.

 

 

Might check this out if you haven't already, shows how to film your swing.   http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

post #35 of 42
Yes-I need to repeat myself? Camera is too high, too far away, and quality too low.-Even I can upload from my phone in HD AND hi-speed. Sure you can figure it out. No help from me though-You just seem to want to argue with people. If you knew so much maybe you wouldnt be in need of so much help>?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post


Bad angles? It's directly behind me and directly in front of me, but alright whatever you say. The videos them self look fine on my phone. The quality plummeted when I uploaded the videos to YouTube.
post #36 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

 

 

Might check this out if you haven't already, shows how to film your swing.   http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing


Thanks, Greg. I haven't checked that out, however I did exactly what it said besides using a camera. I took a face on angle perpendicular to my set up, then had the kid stand directly behind me. The issues began when I uploaded the videos to YouTube. You can see the swing; the purpose was achieved. I even added still shots for emphasis on certain positions.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (dbrock504)