or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › First Trip to the Golf Course
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Trip to the Golf Course - Page 2

post #19 of 30

^^ Great post.

 

At the risk of making this appear like a discussion between me & Mox, I think she points out a few of the misconceptions non-golfers have about our sport. Mox was shocked when I told her that golfers toss out f-bombs & drink beer while playing. She had this impression of this prissy, rich folks only sport where they drink tea with their pinkies out and all that. I was glad I was able to get her out there so she could see differently what really happens. And we did catch two great playing partners - Bob, who I have played with a few times, doesn't care how he plays - he's just happy to be out there. He pops a couple in the water and goes and sits in the cart. Danny is a real friendly caddie.

 

But we all know our sport is loaded with Bobs and Dannys. None of us go out there to be miserable or to act all that. 

 

So I think we have a challenge, to prove to the Moxies of the world that we're just dudes & dudettes who love golf, and to expose it to as many people as we can.

 

Now, to counter her points:

 

1. You can spend as much coin as you want on this game. A $100 craigslist set or a $2k set of custom-made AP-2 blades...whatever.

 

2. We ain't snobs! We're just people.

 

3. It is too damn hard. But you don't have to torture yourself. It's supposed to be fun. Be like Bob - if you hit a couple of bad shots just pick up. The world will keep turning & nobody will gasp.

post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post
 

^^ Great post.

 

At the risk of making this appear like a discussion between me & Mox, I think she points out a few of the misconceptions non-golfers have about our sport. Mox was shocked when I told her that golfers toss out f-bombs & drink beer while playing. She had this impression of this prissy, rich folks only sport where they drink tea with their pinkies out and all that. I was glad I was able to get her out there so she could see differently what really happens. And we did catch two great playing partners - Bob, who I have played with a few times, doesn't care how he plays - he's just happy to be out there. He pops a couple in the water and goes and sits in the cart. Danny is a real friendly caddie.

 

But we all know our sport is loaded with Bobs and Dannys. None of us go out there to be miserable or to act all that.

 

So I think we have a challenge, to prove to the Moxies of the world that we're just dudes & dudettes who love golf, and to expose it to as many people as we can.

 

Now, to counter her points:

 

1. You can spend as much coin as you want on this game. A $100 craigslist set or a $2k set of custom-made AP-2 blades...whatever.

 

2. We ain't snobs! We're just people.

 

3. It is too damn hard. But you don't have to torture yourself. It's supposed to be fun. Be like Bob - if you hit a couple of bad shots just pick up. The world will keep turning & nobody will gasp.

Just wanted to say that I was going to come in here and tell you to post in the "Create a golfer" thread ... until I saw that you already did.  Well done. :beer:  Hopefully she enjoys it enough to keep at it.

post #21 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Just wanted to say that I was going to come in here and tell you to post in the "Create a golfer" thread ... until I saw that you already did.  Well done. :beer:  Hopefully she enjoys it enough to keep at it.

I did enjoy it! Not necessarily completely from the "game" aspect, but from many things. Golf courses are so serene and lovely. The atmosphere is wonderful. And now that I know I'm not expected to be any good or to be some kind of "lady", it makes it even better. And I do have to say, when you hit a ball well, you know it. And it's awesome!

post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Dawn View Post

I did enjoy it! Not necessarily completely from the "game" aspect, but from many things. Golf courses are so serene and lovely. The atmosphere is wonderful. And now that I know I'm not expected to be any good or to be some kind of "lady", it makes it even better. And I do have to say, when you hit a ball well, you know it. And it's awesome!

Ah. So the tuning fork rang in your loins, eh.
post #23 of 30

I think it would be ok for my wife to play golf.

She wants to learn the game, but not easy now because we have small kids ( youngest is 2 )

 

I think it would be nice if we could play together on holidays. I still got my golf competition  and

the gents event each wednesday. 

post #24 of 30

My wife now plays. She use to sit down the range and watch me practice / take lessons. Out of the blue one evening she said she'd like to try it as well. Booked her a set of lessons with a local Thai coach who in hind sight didn't have a clue what he was doing but it was enough for her to get the bug. She now takes lessons from another expat coach here in Thailand.

 

 We brought a set of Cobra Amp Cell Ladies irons 6 - SW, a Cobra Amp Cell Ladies driver, a couple of cut down hybrids in mens regular and putter cut down to 33 inches. When she is swinging well she nails all of those clubs straight and reasonably long. Par 4's normally go driver, hybrid, 9 or pitching wedge onto the green or fringe then putts. She is making par on 3's and has par'd the occasional 4 and 5. With less than 20 rounds under her belt, her lowest score so far has been a 105, last time out on the last 7 holes (12-18) she was 8 over par, the 10th and 11th she scored a 7 on a 4 and a 9 on a 5 ended up with a 50 on the back 9 for a total of a 109.

 

She loves it and will be booking tee times without me even suggesting it. We have had now even started looking at short trips away to just play different courses. For me I think its great I work away for 4 weeks then home for 4 weeks, when Im at work she is having lessons or just practicing then when I'm home we go and play. She'll be beating me on a regular basis soon.

post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Dawn View Post
 

One thing I can say about actually playing golf (sorta) for the first time is that my impressions of the game are different. A couple years ago when I was visiting this forum there was a thread that talked about how you can get more people into the game, and dispelling some negative impressions people have is a good start. So let's go over those negatives and I can tell you how my experience erased them.

 

1. Golf is only for rich people. OK, well Zip volunteers as a player assistant at Crandon, which means we played for free. One of the guys we played with does the same thing at both Crandon and another course, so he plays free at two different courses. I'm sure that sort of opportunity exists at many places which would make it more affordable for a lot of people who think the expense is just out of their budget. And I had no idea you could actually rent clubs instead of having to invest in a set without knowing if you even like the game, so that's good too. 

 

2. Golfers are a bunch of snobs. When you watch golf on television and the commentators are all whispering and Tiger is pissed off because somebody made a noise it can be easy to get this impression. But those guys are pros playing for a lot of money so it's more serious. Regular golfers like you guys and Zip aren't like that. Not that you don't observe all the etiquette of the game (which I don't know yet), but it came across to me as a very casual sort of game in many ways. You play a few holes, maybe you do well and maybe not, you drink a beer, you chat with your group while you wait on the slow people ahead of you. There is nothing snobby about it. I'm sure you can run into a jerk or two doing any sort of sport, but everyone I met out there was friendly and helpful and it didn't matter that I didn't know what I was doing. 

 

3. It's too hard; I won't have fun. Well, you may end up deciding you don't like golf, sure. And yes, it is hard to be "good" at golf. But like I mentioned, that one guy we played with even gave up on a few holes he wasn't playing well, and it was OK. Was he still having fun? Yep. You don't have to be any good at all to enjoy it. And I would even recommend giving up on a hole when you're a novice rather than risk slow play and hold up the next group. You don't even have to keep a score card. 

 

Those are the big three reasons I can think of that might deter someone who has never played from giving it a shot. As golfers, it is up to you guys to dispel those myths. I would also suggest that the courses have some "So you never played golf?" events. Free or low cost. Probably a lot of courses do that, but I don't know. Just a day for novices to try their hand at it. Makes you feel better when other people are stinking it up too. No pressure. The ones who like it will come back. 

 

This one is not so clear cut imo.  Yeah there are plenty of people who are happy to be outside in gorgeous weather wandering around a giant manicured lawn but I have never, ever heard someone go.. you know, I just hit that ball amazing and it landed mostly where I wanted it to and now I'm not having as much fun.  Sure the game can be entertaining even if you're bad, but when you can hit the ball solid and straight more often than not.. it becomes a MILLION times more badass and fun imo.

 

For example, I would like to get my brother hooked on the game before I move but I'm quickly running out of time.  He is frustrated and doesn't like it because he's bad but I think if I can show him a couple basic things and get it to where he's not muffing 80% of his shots he'll see how fun it can be and develop a desire to get better.  I think there are many, many more people like this out there as well.

post #26 of 30

You went to see zip?   Did he find any clubs on the course....and keep them for himself?

 

 

Afterwards, did he get lucky?  HEH

post #27 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strandly View Post
 

 

This one is not so clear cut imo.  Yeah there are plenty of people who are happy to be outside in gorgeous weather wandering around a giant manicured lawn but I have never, ever heard someone go.. you know, I just hit that ball amazing and it landed mostly where I wanted it to and now I'm not having as much fun.  Sure the game can be entertaining even if you're bad, but when you can hit the ball solid and straight more often than not.. it becomes a MILLION times more badass and fun imo.

 

For example, I would like to get my brother hooked on the game before I move but I'm quickly running out of time.  He is frustrated and doesn't like it because he's bad but I think if I can show him a couple basic things and get it to where he's not muffing 80% of his shots he'll see how fun it can be and develop a desire to get better.  I think there are many, many more people like this out there as well.

 

Without a doubt it is more fun when you can do something or show a sign of improvement. Anything is like that. But I don't know if you can just force someone to like it. It is tempting to want someone to love the thing you love, but it just isn't for everyone. It's been hard for me to accept that nobody I know wants to talk about the NFL draft and how my team made three trades in the first round and ended up with Manziel. They might indulge me to talk about it for a few minutes, but ultimately they just don't give a damn. I used to have a friend who was a hunter and loved it more than anything, and had a son who just wouldn't do it. Wouldn't kill an animal. Hard for him to understand, but you just have to accept it. Your brother may be the same way about golf. It just may not be for him. Maybe you should just stick to the driving range with him? There's no pressure to produce a score. For me, even if I never become a true golfer, I could always love going to the driving range.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post
 

You went to see zip?   Did he find any clubs on the course....and keep them for himself?

 

 

Afterwards, did he get lucky?  HEH

 

Good lord, are you dredging up that old crap again?? Of course he got lucky. Anyone would be lucky for me to come visit them. 

post #28 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moxie Dawn View Post
 

 

Without a doubt it is more fun when you can do something or show a sign of improvement. Anything is like that. But I don't know if you can just force someone to like it. It is tempting to want someone to love the thing you love, but it just isn't for everyone. It's been hard for me to accept that nobody I know wants to talk about the NFL draft and how my team made three trades in the first round and ended up with Manziel. They might indulge me to talk about it for a few minutes, but ultimately they just don't give a damn. I used to have a friend who was a hunter and loved it more than anything, and had a son who just wouldn't do it. Wouldn't kill an animal. Hard for him to understand, but you just have to accept it. Your brother may be the same way about golf. It just may not be for him. Maybe you should just stick to the driving range with him? There's no pressure to produce a score. For me, even if I never become a true golfer, I could always love going to the driving range. 

 

Nah he's reluctant to play because he's bad, not because he thinks he wouldn't like it even if he was good at it.  But I have taken him to a range a couple times and played a round a couple times and the range is the way to go.  He has a course with a range within a mile of his place and even I haven't been to it yet so I'll use that as an excuse to get him over there sometime this month.

post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strandly View Post

Quote:

Nah he's reluctant to play because he's bad, not because he thinks he wouldn't like it even if he was good at it.  But I have taken him to a range a couple times and played a round a couple times and the range is the way to go.  He has a course with a range within a mile of his place and even I haven't been to it yet so I'll use that as an excuse to get him over there sometime this month.
.

Can you imagine the state golf would be in if all the people who weren't any good at it refused to play?! a2_wink.gif
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


.

Can you imagine the state golf would be in if all the people who weren't any good at it refused to play?! a2_wink.gif


Lets see...I think there would be about two people that would play at our course (and that's "good" by our local standards).

 

I'm sure that if we went by "good" by national standards we wouldn't have anybody playing. :-D

 

My wife's boss used to play golf in college years ago and has been talking for years about starting to play again, but wants to get "better" before she goes to the course. Since she's around 75 years old that's probably never going to happen.

 

She and my wife have practiced a few times on her land but when my wife mentions going to the course she always says she would be embarrassed and won't go (even though our course is never crowded and usually fairly empty).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › First Trip to the Golf Course