or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Evolution of High Launch and Low Spin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Evolution of High Launch and Low Spin - Page 4

post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsco View Post

what is AoA and Moi really do?

sorry if this may be off topic but I have to ask.

last year I used a xhot 10.5. it got the ball in the air for me very well, but I hit it towards the heel a lot.

this year I went to my pro because the xhot was just to high in flight and there was no roll, so we worked on my swing and shafts. even with a better swing heel shots would creep back into my game. we worked on numbers at this point, and changed shafts by the time we got to a shaft that got my numbers decent and a lot more center of face, I noticed there was a i25 sitting in his shop, so I asked him I I could take it for a spin.

at this point we turned on the machine and looked at the numbers.

my xhot still not very center hits was spinning in the 3000 range and up.

when I hit the i25 I almost fell over from the feel. center top hit spin rate 2500 ish.

I was able to to stay in the 2000 range and hit more center to toe with the i25. I wish I remember my other numbers but all I rember is spin and distance.

what in these 2 clubs would make me hit one better then the other?

 

 

Angle of attack, when positive for a driver reduces spin, and increases launch angle. This will increase carry distance.

 

MOI is the resistance of the club turning due to the ball striking the club, and basically makes the club more forgiving on off center hits. 

post #56 of 66
thanks,

why wouldn't everybody be using a 15* driver with high moi?

I would figure most 80 to 90+ golfers have a low aoi. so they need the loft. so why would lofting up help a pro? (as the TM numbers show) I figure pros can hit up on the ball. I would think 90% of them could call their shots.

to me it seems like TM is doing what used to be done but backwards.? to make it new?
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsco View Post

thanks,

why wouldn't everybody be using a 15* driver with high moi?

I would figure most 80 to 90+ golfers have a low aoi. so they need the loft. so why would lofting up help a pro? (as the TM numbers show) I figure pros can hit up on the ball. I would think 90% of them could call their shots.

to me it seems like TM is doing what used to be done but backwards.? to make it new?

 

Most High Handicap players hit down with their driver. Some PGA tour players still do. Hitting up just optimizes launch conditions for more distance. 

 

Because 15 degree drivers don't fit everyone. It also depends on the shaft. Also having the MOI further back makes it hard to move the CG lower, which is needed for really low spinning drivers. That is why, TM moved the sliding weight forward. It did lower the MOI, but not to drastic really. I don't find it that much less forgiving. I do think some toe and heel hits do bend more, that is part of it. The lower the MOI the more gear effect there is. But the ball also starts right more on toe hits. The distance loss isn't too bad either. 

 

If the CG isn't low enough then it wont take off enough spin to raise the loft to 15. The problem is, with 15 degrees of loft, you can produce too much spin and loose distance. The key is HIGH launch and LOW spin. 

post #58 of 66
thanks,

not challenging you,

but why do some people hit their 3 4 5 woods just as or almost as far as their driver? please don't say they don't I have seen it in pros to hacks.

I have experienced it myself.

would that be angle of attack or moi ?
post #59 of 66

That is just not enough loft to maximize carry distance.

post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

That is just not enough loft to maximize carry distance.

thanks.
post #61 of 66
has anybody here ever had the actual loft of your drivers checked or measured ?
post #62 of 66

To me it doesn't really matter. I got my club fitted for me, so I know that the launch numbers are close to were I want them. Also the loft printed isn't the loft delivered at impact. Your swing + the golf shaft can influence that number a lot. 

post #63 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

To me it doesn't really matter. I got my club fitted for me, so I know that the launch numbers are close to were I want them. Also the loft printed isn't the loft delivered at impact. Your swing + the golf shaft can influence that number a lot. 

I know this is a little OT but do you feel like that adjustable weight on the SLDR does much of anything for the gear affect or the closure rate? I was just curious if that was their way if trying to make up for what they might have lost in changing the MOI.

post #64 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post
 

I know this is a little OT but do you feel like that adjustable weight on the SLDR does much of anything for the gear affect or the closure rate? I was just curious if that was their way if trying to make up for what they might have lost in changing the MOI.

 

Nope, it is only a 20 gram weight. It would do little in terms of keeping the face open or closed. All it does is move the CG a bit to the right or left, increasing gear effect. 

 

I don't think so, I just think it is something adjustable they wanted to put in there. I don't think it would help with loss of MOI. I believe TM wanted was to make a club more forgiving with vertical MOI. They did that by making the sweetspot extend lower. TM claimed that amateurs miss the ball lower on the clubface. 

post #65 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsco View Post



what in these 2 clubs would make me hit one better then the other?

 

The i25 is just designed to lower the spin more than the XHot. With the same loft, the i25 will probably launch a little lower as well.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motsco View Post


would that be angle of attack or moi ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

That is just not enough loft to maximize carry distance.

 

Correct, the 3 wood has more loft and they can "get away" with hitting down.

post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

Were you mis hitting it low on the face? Or towards the heel?

Hard to say, it's been several days since. If I had to guess based on typical shots, a little low and towards the heel but nothing really bad off center wise usually.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Evolution of High Launch and Low Spin