or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › How Would You Play It? (16th at Whispering Woods)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How Would You Play It? (16th at Whispering Woods) - Page 4

post #55 of 150

Actually, looking at the pic, those trees look like a tall task to carry on the right.  So I'd lean toward the "hyrbrid" option.

 

This seems like a fantastic hole.

post #56 of 150

While I do love these threads, I guess it's hard for me to truly tell what I'd do because the view from the tee kind of determines a lot of my confidence in certain shots. As someone who has been teeing it forward a lot lately, I know how important it can be to just hit it in the fairway and leaving myself a comfortable wedge, especially if hitting a longer club can get me in a hazard.

 

You say par is a good score here and almost no one birdies it, so that tells me quite a bit. There's always that one hole on every course that's like this, and I don't want to make a big number. Since my hybrid and 3-wood bring the hazard into play, I don't think I should hit those clubs. Driver looks like a pretty good option, but again, I think I'd have to see how the hole looks from the tee to see if this is a good play or not. I really would love a pitch from the rough or green-side bunker if I could consistently leave myself something like that.

 

I dunno, I think I'd probably end up just hitting 5-iron and leaving myself like 110 or 120 or something. It's either that or driver. I really don't want to yank one left or flare one right with my 3-hybrid or 3-wood, which is totally possible. 

post #57 of 150

Has anyone else noticed that the website calls this the "sixtenth" hole?

post #58 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

While I do love these threads, I guess it's hard for me to truly tell what I'd do because the view from the tee kind of determines a lot of my confidence in certain shots. As someone who has been teeing it forward a lot lately, I know how important it can be to just hit it in the fairway and leaving myself a comfortable wedge, especially if hitting a longer club can get me in a hazard.

 

You say par is a good score here and almost no one birdies it, so that tells me quite a bit. There's always that one hole on every course that's like this, and I don't want to make a big number. Since my hybrid and 3-wood bring the hazard into play, I don't think I should hit those clubs. Driver looks like a pretty good option, but again, I think I'd have to see how the hole looks from the tee to see if this is a good play or not. I really would love a pitch from the rough or green-side bunker if I could consistently leave myself something like that.

 

I dunno, I think I'd probably end up just hitting 5-iron and leaving myself like 110 or 120 or something. It's either that or driver. I really don't want to yank one left or flare one right with my 3-hybrid or 3-wood, which is totally possible. 


Yeah it's hard to really say without being there. It's possible that a "good" decision" could even change from day to day depending on the height of the rough.

 

My likely miss if trying to bomb a driver would be somewhere in the rough to the short/right of the green and if I hit a really bad shot even as far right as the other fairway (and 10 yards farther than my normal drives"). Odds of hitting that little neck of fairway with a driver are fairly slim for me. 

 

If the rough isn't bad there's a good possibility that's what I would actually do. If it's automatic lost ball type of rough I would take much more care to hit the fairway.

post #59 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Or perhaps his good decision making has him at 15 instead of 18, and your poor decision making has you at a 3 instead of a 1. Just as likely, no??

Probably not..... a2_wink.gif
post #60 of 150

I think the smart way is to hit iron off the tee. a 5 or 4 iron would do it for me, it leaves you no more than pw to the green.

A club i feel confident with and you get drop and stop control with these clubs. the closer you get to the green the harder it is to get spin on the ball.

 

A big plus is also is that you stay out off trouble and by doing so you get a reasonable flat lie also, this makes things easier also.

post #61 of 150

Seems some people are forgetting that the original post indicated exactly the spots you would be with driver, 3w, hybrid, what you would be left after any of those shots, and which you think is the best play. This isn't so much a discussion of where your ball or my ball would actually end up. Or, maybe I'm way off on this line of though, but that's how I understood the question and why I answered how I did.

post #62 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

Seems some people are forgetting that the original post indicated exactly the spots you would be with driver, 3w, hybrid, what you would be left after any of those shots, and which you think is the best play. This isn't so much a discussion of where your ball or my ball would actually end up. Or, maybe I'm way off on this line of though, but that's how I understood the question and why I answered how I did.

 

Pretty sure you're way off. Obviously if we had a choice, we'd all pick to play the hole from "D." Why would we move farther back if we didn't have to?

 

Evidence you're way off: 

 

1) Erik says if the ball lands at "D" it rolls back like no.9 at Augusta. He also describes shots that land in the rough around there. 

 

2) He warned us that there are hazards left and right where H and 3 are located. 

 

And if I'm wrong, my bad. :-D

post #63 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

Seems some people are forgetting that the original post indicated exactly the spots you would be with driver, 3w, hybrid, what you would be left after any of those shots, and which you think is the best play. This isn't so much a discussion of where your ball or my ball would actually end up. Or, maybe I'm way off on this line of though, but that's how I understood the question and why I answered how I did.


I take these threads as those are the spots where your "good" shots would end up. If they are the spots where shots are guaranteed to end up there is very little room for discussion on strategy (because there would be no "trouble" to worry about).

post #64 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

 

Pretty sure you're way off. Obviously if we had a choice, we'd all pick to play the hole from "D." Why would we move farther back if we didn't have to?

 

Evidence you're way off: 

 

1) Erik says if the ball lands at "D" it rolls back like no.9 at Augusta. He also describes shots that land in the rough around there. 

 

2) He warned us that there are hazards left and right where H and 3 are located. 

 

And if I'm wrong, my bad. :-D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 


I take these threads as those are the spots where your "good" shots would end up. If they are the spots where shots are guaranteed to end up there is very little room for discussion on strategy (because there would be no "trouble" to worry about).

Fortunately I've actually played this hole so my answer wouldn't change anyway, but I thank you for pointing out my error in thinking about the subject.

post #65 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

 

Pretty sure you're way off. Obviously if we had a choice, we'd all pick to play the hole from "D." Why would we move farther back if we didn't have to?

 

Evidence you're way off: 

 

1) Erik says if the ball lands at "D" it rolls back like no.9 at Augusta. He also describes shots that land in the rough around there. 

 

2) He warned us that there are hazards left and right where H and 3 are located. 

 

And if I'm wrong, my bad. :-D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 


I take these threads as those are the spots where your "good" shots would end up. If they are the spots where shots are guaranteed to end up there is very little room for discussion on strategy (because there would be no "trouble" to worry about).

Fortunately I've actually played this hole so my answer wouldn't change anyway, but I thank you for pointing out my error in thinking about the subject.

 

Unfair advantage in this thread then! :-D

post #66 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

Pretty sure you're way off. Obviously if we had a choice, we'd all pick to play the hole from "D." Why would we move farther back if we didn't have to?

 

Evidence you're way off:

 

1) Erik says if the ball lands at "D" it rolls back like no.9 at Augusta. He also describes shots that land in the rough around there.

 

2) He warned us that there are hazards left and right where H and 3 are located.

 

And if I'm wrong, my bad. :-D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

I take these threads as those are the spots where your "good" shots would end up. If they are the spots where shots are guaranteed to end up there is very little room for discussion on strategy (because there would be no "trouble" to worry about).

Yeah, my take is that Erik was simply trying to normalize the answers.  If he said, instead, that you're all playing from the 320 tees, then a lot of people would answer differently for much different reasons.  He set it up such that everybody would have the same landing area choices.  It doesn't mean that we'd all hit perfect shots, obviously, but it does mean that you aren't suppose to say "I'll hit driver because I'm a short hitter and my driver won't reach other peoples hybrids."

 

He's just taking those answers out of the equation, and put everybody on the same playing field.

post #67 of 150

Is it just me, or did I sound like an ass in my response to @Jeremie Boop? LOL, I hate sometimes how reading doesn't show the tone in which it was written. :doh:

post #68 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

Is it just me, or did I sound like an ass in my response to @Jeremie Boop? LOL, I hate sometimes how reading doesn't show the tone in which it was written. :doh:

No worries, I understood you were just pointing out things to show my my error.

post #69 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

Is it just me, or did I sound like an ass in my response to @Jeremie Boop? LOL, I hate sometimes how reading doesn't show the tone in which it was written. :doh:

Nope.  If you read the two in succession then it reads, I bet, EXACTLY how you meant it.

 

"Is this correct, or am I way off?" he asked, curiously.

 

"I think you're way off." answered @JetFan1983 politely and with slight humor in his voice. :-P

 

The repeating of the same phrase is specifically why it doesn't look at all menacing to me.  Or am I way off? ;-)

 

P.S.  You are an ass though, I just meant that you didn't show it in that post. :beer:

post #70 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

Is it just me, or did I sound like an ass in my response to @Jeremie Boop? LOL, I hate sometimes how reading doesn't show the tone in which it was written. :doh:

No worries, I understood you were just pointing out things to show my my error.

 

 

OK, cool. Thanks. 

 

I'm interested to read what Erik has to say.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

Is it just me, or did I sound like an ass in my response to @Jeremie Boop? LOL, I hate sometimes how reading doesn't show the tone in which it was written. :doh:

Nope.  If you read the two in succession then it reads, I bet, EXACTLY how you meant it.

 

"Is this correct, or am I way off?" he asked, curiously.

 

"I think you're way off." answered @JetFan1983 politely and with slight humor in his voice. :-P

 

The repeating of the same phrase is specifically why it doesn't look at all menacing to me.  Or am I way off? ;-)

 

P.S.  You are an ass though, I just meant that you didn't show it in that post. :beer:

 

 

I never, ever question the Member of the Year Slash Month Slash Year Slash Decade. Never, ever, ever. :smartass:

post #71 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

Seems some people are forgetting that the original post indicated exactly the spots you would be with driver, 3w, hybrid, what you would be left after any of those shots, and which you think is the best play. This isn't so much a discussion of where your ball or my ball would actually end up. Or, maybe I'm way off on this line of though, but that's how I understood the question and why I answered how I did.

in that case i would leave myself with the 90 yard shot, see my comment why

post #72 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

 

I never, ever question the Member of the Year Slash Month Slash Year Slash Decade. Never, ever, ever. :smartass:

LOL, whatever.  You know I only have all those silly titles because you like to take a hiatus every now and again to go concentrate on a fantasy football forum or some other non golf hobby.  I don't have any more of those, so I'm always here. :-P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › How Would You Play It? (16th at Whispering Woods)