or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Fitness and Exercise › Broken shoulder. New start?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Broken shoulder. New start?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
21st of March I broke my shoulder during snowboarding. They put two screws in it and that was that. I was out of my sling within two weeks and the pain is gone by now. The problem now is the mobility of the shoulder. I am going to PA two times a week and although things are getting better the progress is a bit slow.

Now I wasn't a good golfer by any means before I broke my shoulder. Had a few bad habits like really trying to put force into hitting the ball in stead of swinging at it. So I thought wouldn't this be a good time to build things up from scratch. Let my golf evolve with the healing of my injury. One bad habit should be eliminated immediately since force or power is something I totally don't have right now.

Has anyone gone through the same recovery and what are your thoughts on building my game up from scratch? I am going to the range tonight to see if I can do some light chipping. I hope my shoulder holds and that it won't give me any pain or stiffness afterwards.
post #2 of 23

Good luck. I think started with the short game is a good idea.

post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 

Thanx. Not only is it a good idea, but full swing is rather far away for me at the moment. I'll do some pitching and putting today and see how everything feels afterwards.

post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
So I just used my pitching wedge and hit shots of about 20 to 30 yards. Those went well. A bit shaky at first but definitely not using any force on the downswing from my arms. It felt great to hit the shots within a yard of my targets.

After a while a tried to go for 40 yards but that was definitely a bridge to far. Felt my shoulder immediately and was using putting to much power in the downswing.

All things considered I was happy to be on the driving range again and I hope that that tomorrow my shoulder is not stiff from this session.
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrew View Post

So I just used my pitching wedge and hit shots of about 20 to 30 yards. Those went well. A bit shaky at first but definitely not using any force on the downswing from my arms. It felt great to hit the shots within a yard of my targets.

After a while a tried to go for 40 yards but that was definitely a bridge to far. Felt my shoulder immediately and was using putting to much power in the downswing.

All things considered I was happy to be on the driving range again and I hope that that tomorrow my shoulder is not stiff from this session.
I have experience with shoulder injuries as well. My right shoulder has endured two separations and a broken collarbone. It pops out rather easily when I try to throw a football or a baseball.

Which shoulder did you break? And are you a right or left-handed golfer? The left shoulder is a tougher injury for right handed golfers. Right is not as bad. I know a guy (right handed) who plays to about a 5 handicap, even though he can't raise his right arm over his head without any pain.
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
Yeah luckily it is my right shoulder and I am right handed. In most other areas it is actually quite annoying but for golf it was the best shoulder to break.

Short game improvement is in progress
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 

Going to range again today. I had no pain in my shoulder from my last session so I am quite stoked about it. Gonna try to hit it 40 yards again, or not, I'll just see how it feels. As soon as I can swing with a bit more backswing I'll add a video. 

post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
I can't edit my posts or so it seems. So here's a new post.

The range session went better than I hoped it would go. Tried the 9 iron and was able to hit solid. Hit quite a few hits to the right though but I think I'll be hitting with half swings within the next two or three weeks.
post #9 of 23

Over a year ago I had Rotator surgery (two tendons that where torn reattached).  I started slow like you but several times I over did it and was in some uncomfortable pain because of it.  I would first talk to your PT and doctor and ask them how much and far you can swing as you do not want to go back and have them redo everything.  Shoulder can give you much trouble as you get older so I found out the hard way.  Take your time and listen to what your doctor tells you so you can golf long into your golden years.  Just my .02 cents here since you asked.  Hope it heals fast and all works out for you.

post #10 of 23
A couple of years ago I had a separation of the left shoulder. I was in the middle of a six-year break from golf at that time, but returned to the game at the start of this year. The lay-off, and the slight alteration to the shape of my shoulder caused by the injury, made me come to the same conclusion as you - I needed to start again as if I was a complete beginner, forget my previous bad habits and take it as an opportunity to get things right this time around.

The most important thing I did was take some lessons before those bad habits became ingrained again. I wasn't a complete beginner, of course - the basics of grip, stance and so on were still there - but having the advice of a pro from the outset meant that I am evolving a swing whichis markedly different from, and more orthodox than, the one I had before. I'm optimistic that I'll end up a better, more consistent player as a result.

The one thing I'd say about the injury is to ensure that you do enough physiotherapy to restore as much mobility to the joint as you can before you get into full swings with your golf clubs. If you try to do too much too soon I'd say there's a danger that you'll end up developing a swing that is compromised because you are trying to compensate for the lack of freedom in the joint. So take your time, would be my advice.
post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDVasos View Post
 

Over a year ago I had Rotator surgery (two tendons that where torn reattached).  I started slow like you but several times I over did it and was in some uncomfortable pain because of it.  I would first talk to your PT and doctor and ask them how much and far you can swing as you do not want to go back and have them redo everything.  

Too bad about the injury. How are you doing now? Are you still seeing a PT?

 

Yeah I found out the hard way as well. Since my last post I was really enthusiastic about my results. I was hitting the 9i somewhere around 90 yards and thought if I can hit it like this I can walk a par 3 course. And so I did and after four holes I had to admit that hitting balls on the range is a different game than hitting balls on a course. I got tired, my shoulder started hurting and I gave it up right there. I went to my PT 3 days after that and he noticed it straight away. I went back two weeks back in progress and am now somewhere around the same level of mobility I was two weeks ago. So now I promised myself I will not go back to the range because I will eventually start over doing it again. Instead I will be at the putting and chipping green. That will be my playground at least the next four weeks. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm View Post

A couple of years ago I had a separation of the left shoulder. I was in the middle of a six-year break from golf at that time, but returned to the game at the start of this year. The lay-off, and the slight alteration to the shape of my shoulder caused by the injury, made me come to the same conclusion as you - I needed to start again as if I was a complete beginner, forget my previous bad habits and take it as an opportunity to get things right this time around.

The most important thing I did was take some lessons before those bad habits became ingrained again. I wasn't a complete beginner, of course - the basics of grip, stance and so on were still there - but having the advice of a pro from the outset meant that I am evolving a swing whichis markedly different from, and more orthodox than, the one I had before. I'm optimistic that I'll end up a better, more consistent player as a result.

The one thing I'd say about the injury is to ensure that you do enough physiotherapy to restore as much mobility to the joint as you can before you get into full swings with your golf clubs. If you try to do too much too soon I'd say there's a danger that you'll end up developing a swing that is compromised because you are trying to compensate for the lack of freedom in the joint. So take your time, would be my advice.

 

A separation of the shoulder sucks dude. Has it healed properly?

 

I am definitely going to get lessons as soon as I have some mobility back. I am planning to sign up on evolvr and will post some vids in the my swing thread. 

 

Thanx for the advice. I have to take it slow indeed. I want to get better asap but as soon as possible will probably be in nothing short then nine months. I have to keep that in mind but it is hard sometimes. Guess I'll be doing a lot of the 19th hole this year and skip the first 18.

post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrew View Post
 

 

A separation of the shoulder sucks dude. Has it healed properly?

 

I am definitely going to get lessons as soon as I have some mobility back. I am planning to sign up on evolvr and will post some vids in the my swing thread. 

 

Thanx for the advice. I have to take it slow indeed. I want to get better asap but as soon as possible will probably be in nothing short then nine months. I have to keep that in mind but it is hard sometimes. Guess I'll be doing a lot of the 19th hole this year and skip the first 18.

Yes, it has healed properly. But as with most such injuries, there's a permanent slight change in the shape of the joint and I'd bet money on it meaning that my swing would be slightly different from the previous version, even if I'd been trying to keep it the same. There's no problem once you're fully mobilised, though.

post #13 of 23

I also detached my rotator cuff muscle after multiple dislocations playing rugby. It signalled the end of my rugby playing days which is ironically when I took up golf. 

mine is the right shoulder (rh golfer) and although i clearly have restricted movement in many day to day activities I don't feel it has restricted my golf in any way, although it can be sore if I play a lot in a short period of time.

 

I reiterate what some of the other posters have said, lots of Physio, stretching and remedial work are required. I was doing physio for 9 months after the repair before I even considered taking up golf.

 

Good luck

post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Thanks a lot you fellow shoulder injury victims. Although I should already know that I should take it easy, it still is hard to find the patience to actually do it. But hearing about recovering for nine months before even thinking about golf really helps me with getting in to the right place of mind about my recovery process.

The first bit of recovery went flying so I guess I thought I would be the special one that was back at it within two months but now I am starting to realize I'll have all the time in the world for my chipping and putting. Which is fine actually..... Sort of
post #15 of 23

I am doing well yrew and the tendons seem to hold well some 16 months after my surgery.  Like someone else mentioned it was some time before I could golf and walked a par 3 nine hole course 3 days a week (retired) for exercise and also went to the range to practice.  You know when you over do it if you wake up in the middle of the night with pain that feels close to having a heart attack.  Then rest for several days and start over.  I am 65 and golf on a senior league and try to get out and walk and golf three times a week and have found that at my age streching and exercise everyday is very important so as not to hurt or damage muscles.  The other morning I showed up at our league and got sent out before I could warm up and as a result I suffered for three days because of it.  I have a weighted driver I bought which is part of my self therapy I do and just swing it back and forth lightly and it does wonders keeping me loose enough to golf.  I do not know how many years I have left to golf but it is life to me and I really enjoy my mornings walking nine holes out on a regulation course trying to constantly improve my game.  One thing I have learned is how to swing smoother with less effort throughout all my clubs and I have I feel improved to a new level in my game.  I hope that you continue to improve through therapy and common sense exercises

and just continue to enjoy the game in moderation and enjoy what you have to work with until you are 100% healed and it will all work out in time.

post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDVasos View Post
 

You know when you over do it if you wake up in the middle of the night with pain that feels close to having a heart attack. 

Shouldnt you know this before that point? I have to say even breaking my shoulder didnt even hurt like that. I broke it like in this left picture 11-A1

 

post #17 of 23

For what it is worth I had no pain when I had my heart attack 2 years ago.....................................just a lot of pressure in my left shoulder.

 

I also had rotator cuff surgery on my left side this past October, with a bone spur removed and one tendon reattached.  Took it slow, did all my PT and home exercises.  I have no problems playing golf nowadays, 9 months after surgery, just working on regaining distance.  No pain whatsoever.

 

Take it easy and do what the doc and PT tell you to do, do not overdo it.

post #18 of 23
Had rotator cuff surgery in 2010. Played after that but my swing was flawed. Shoulder replaced December 2013. There's life after shoulder repairs. I'm swingin fine and scoring well. Took about 3 months and then I was putting. 4 months short game. Five months full swing. Playing as often as I can now. Trying to get to the point where I can play consecutive rounds. Me and ice have a very good relationship, and it's only gettin better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fitness and Exercise
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Fitness and Exercise › Broken shoulder. New start?