or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Name Your Team USA Ryder Cup Squad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Name Your Team USA Ryder Cup Squad - Page 9

post #145 of 336

post #146 of 336

I agree - Phil is in 100% either on points or as a pick.  I don't expect him to play that well in the Ryder Cup just based on his form this year.  I am hopeful, always hopeful, but doubtful.  

 

I predict Tiger will take himself out of the running for the Ryder Cup team before Watson has to pick.  I say this as a Tiger fan . .but he will not play well this week and probably shouldn't even be there.  I would be happy if I was wrong . . 

 

You never know, though . .golf is golf and all these guys are good.  Maybe the underdog thing will work for us.  

post #147 of 336
Whether Dufner makes it on points is big because I think Phil, Keegan and Zach are automatic captain's picks IF they don't make it on points. Dufner is likely not to be picked because of his injury. So how Duf finishes in the standings is important.
post #148 of 336

How about a long-bomber from Kentucky...

 

John Bradley Holmes.

 

I would like to see him, rather than Duff-daddy...

post #149 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by late347 View Post

How about a long-bomber from Kentucky...

John Bradley Holmes.

I would like to see him, rather than Duff-daddy...
I'm down. Will miss the Duffmeister tho.
post #150 of 336
I think I'd rather have Kevin Na...although he might have an aneurysm before teeing off...
post #151 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by late347 View Post
 

How about a long-bomber from Kentucky...

 

John Bradley Holmes.

 

I would like to see him, rather than Duff-daddy...

 

Too bad the Ryder Cup's being played in Wales, not Kentucky, or else I'd give him some consideration. Outside of one win the last couple years, Holmes has not exactly given him much of a reason to be picked.

post #152 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post

Too bad the Ryder Cup's being played in Wales, not Kentucky, or else I'd give him some consideration. Outside of one win the last couple years, Holmes has not exactly given him much of a reason to be picked.
He played back at Valhalla back in 2008. He did win in Charlotte, but quiet since.
post #153 of 336

J.B did undergo some surgeries as of late I think

 

Arm surgery and ankle injury. The latter kept him out of 2013 for good part. It was a broken ankle from rollerblading accident.

 

2014 was his first proper season after having recuperated from his injuries.

post #154 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
 

 

Too bad the Ryder Cup's being played in Wales, not Kentucky, or else I'd give him some consideration. 

 

Wales? Gleneagles?

 

Try Scotland

 

The Gleneagles Centenary Course is actually Scotland's longest inland track (generally considered the weakest of the Gleneagles trio though). Last time we were there (about 3 weeks ago) the rough looked to have been deliberately grown on it, as long as we'd seen it, but that was before Dustin Johnson had an incident with a jet ski, and for such time as Luke Donald was still on the European team. I reckon McGinlay might be asking them to take the scissors out before long. The course closes for preparation on the 15th, and we aren't due back there between now and then, so couldn't tell you what its like now

post #155 of 336

My bad. I've still got Wales in my head from the 2010 Ryder Cup.

post #156 of 336

No probs Chris, I didn't really believe you didn't know where Gleneagles was in truth.

post #157 of 336
If j.b. holmes or some other less known american is on a hot golfing streak, maybe that can influence captain's pick.

Ryan palmer and j.b holmes are both doing pretty well at the moment in valhallagolf course
post #158 of 336

Sky showed a Tom interview from earlier in the week whilst doing some fill and whereas I couldn't quote it verbatim it went something like

 

"I want people with strong character. Not necessarily the best golfer, but the toughest guys who'll make the 5 footers when they're needed"

 

Did a bit of research on t'internet an d sure enough it's the same words that he's given in previous interviews "character" keeps coming out, as does the need to "silence the crowd" and "empty the stands".

 

On completion of this interview, Colin Montgomerie seized on the character thing, and the making of pressure putts, and suggested that it might even be a description of Tiger woods. Asked if he'd pick Woods though, Monty hesitated marginally, and then said "No". Asked why? He simply said "not playing anywhere near well enough"

post #159 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post
 

 

"I want people with strong character. Not necessarily the best golfer, but the toughest guys who'll make the 5 footers when they're needed"

 

 

Well that rules out anybody he could pick from the pga tour.  

 

Ok - here are my 2 revised picks . .assuming Phil makes it on points. 

 

1.  Kenny Perry

2.  Stacey Lewis

post #160 of 336

LOL

 

I'm getting more and more taken by the idea someone suggested (forget who) that he ought to have a Dick Cheney moment!!!

 

So much so I actually went and checked his foursomes record out 4 wins, 1 halve, 1 loss

He knows Gleneagles better than any of his own team

He's the one player who can neutralise the entire gallery

 

but I thought to myself, he isn't really long enough but that might not be a problem in foursomes though, so long as he's paired with one.

 

It kind of dawned on me. Do we know of a long hitter, with a cerebral cortex made of orange peel, who could do with a guiding hand on how to conduct himself, and whom having Tom alongside him might act as a deflector shield for what easily could be coming his way?

post #161 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker View Post

 

 

Ok - here are my 2 revised picks . .assuming Phil makes it on points. 

 

1.  Kenny Perry

2.  Stacey Lewis

 

Actually what about Jeff?

 

Remember the PGA hitting machine that gave Rory a run for his money? I reckon he spoke with an American accent. Perhaps it's worth checking out his availability. He has many attributes I reckon. He doesn't snort jet skis, he doesn't shag team mates wives, he won't get injured, and he won't get himself wound up over a long drive competitions and then declare a minor war on the media, he can hold his nerve under pressure, and he sounds like a good team man who bring a bit of light relief to proceedings. At the very least he'd neutralise Martin Kaymer

post #162 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post

Actually what about Jeff?

Remember the PGA hitting machine that gave Rory a run for his money? I reckon he spoke with an American accent. Perhaps it's worth checking out his availability. He has many attributes I reckon. He doesn't snort jet skis, he doesn't shag team mates wives, he won't get injured, and he won't get himself wound up over a long drive competitions and then declare a minor war on the media, he can hold his nerve under pressure, and he sounds like a good team man who bring a bit of light relief to proceedings. At the very least he'd neutralise Martin Kaymer
Unfortunately he is a Canadian citizen.
Edited by RJH999 - 8/7/14 at 7:21pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Name Your Team USA Ryder Cup Squad