or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Risk reward hole with no forced carry?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Risk reward hole with no forced carry? - Page 2

post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

I'm with Phil. That's stupid.


All of us agree but we didn't build the course.

 

Maddest my son ever was on a golf course was the first time we played that hole after the OB stakes were put up. I forgot to tell him and he hit it way down past the loop in the cart path.

 

I felt terrible for forgetting to tell him and he was madder than a hornet when I told him he was OB. He hasn't hit a driver on the hole since.

post #20 of 26

I'd probably sneak onto the course the night before and steal all the OB stakes. I can hit it over or into those trees on the left and still have a short wedge over anything in the way. But with the OB, I'd have to hit like a pair of short irons. Eff that.

 

In all honesty this hole's more fun as a par 3 from the ladies tees. I'd probably hit a long iron off those rather than taking penalties. Or I'd just skip it a lot.

post #21 of 26

The course designer has you hitting into a funnel. The farther into the landing area you go, the narrower the workspace. Funnel starts getting tight around the yellow line.

 

So, it depends on how well you're swinging that day whether it's driver or 3W.

 

The approach shot depends on how much backspin one generates on short irons. From 100 to 115 yards out - going uphill, which adds loft to the club - I would hit a 9i or 8i. I get modest backspin, so such a shot would get one check bounce, and hopefully release smoothly into the downslope.

 

If I'm not perfect, I would want to end up on the back fringe and chipping or putting uphill, rather than falling short and having to go uphill and then downhill. (In this sense, the hole resembles No. 3 at Augusta National, a 355-yard uphill par 4.)  

post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding View Post
 

I'd probably sneak onto the course the night before and steal all the OB stakes. I can hit it over or into those trees on the left and still have a short wedge over anything in the way. But with the OB, I'd have to hit like a pair of short irons. Eff that.

 

In all honesty this hole's more fun as a par 3 from the ladies tees. I'd probably hit a long iron off those rather than taking penalties. Or I'd just skip it a lot.


Nah, you would do just like we do. Dread the tee shot before you even get to it and breathe a sigh of relief when you hit the fairway. :-D

 

I only know two guys that are accurate enough with a driver to not worry about OB on that hole and I saw one of them hit it OB to the right last week.

(So there goes his confidence). LOL

post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post
 

The course designer has you hitting into a funnel. The farther into the landing area you go, the narrower the workspace. Funnel starts getting tight around the yellow line.

 

So, it depends on how well you're swinging that day whether it's driver or 3W.

 

The approach shot depends on how much backspin one generates on short irons. From 100 to 115 yards out - going uphill, which adds loft to the club - I would hit a 9i or 8i. I get modest backspin, so such a shot would get one check bounce, and hopefully release smoothly into the downslope.

 

If I'm not perfect, I would want to end up on the back fringe and chipping or putting uphill, rather than falling short and having to go uphill and then downhill. (In this sense, the hole resembles No. 3 at Augusta National, a 355-yard uphill par 4.)  

Loose use of that title.

 

Actually the guy that built the course didn't have enough land, knew little about what he was doing, but wanted to do it and gave it a shot.

 

I give him credit for having guts enough to try it and he probably did better with what he had to do it with than I could have done.

 

Just wish he would have been able to afford 40 more acres of land. ;-)

post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

Just wish he would have been able to afford 40 more acres of land. ;-)

 

Know what you mean. This is the major shortfall of "do it yourself" courses in Missouri and Illinois.

post #25 of 26
I'd go PW PW. Oh sorry thought I was on the "how far do you hit each club" thread. I feel better right now with a driver than any other club so if no slope on the fairway I am ripping it.
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

Why is left OB?-Thats the golf course too. Is this one of those stupid internal OBs that shitty course layouts are forced to use to "protect" people?

Thanks for this response!  Totally agree.  I think there was a rules questions a couple of years back that discussed this.  Most agreed that it was poor policy by the course.  I play a course occasionally with the same internal OB, but they make you play it as a lateral.  The card shows the local rule.

 

Two OB, one on either side, is just ridiculous.  This will really slow down play.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Risk reward hole with no forced carry?