or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › My first US Open Qualifier experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My first US Open Qualifier experience - Page 9

post #145 of 234

I personally don't know any golfers +2 or better, but I know one who is a +1.  He basically plays the same 2 courses all of the time.  Just the other day he shot an 88 on one of those 2 courses in perfect weather, normal course conditions, and with nothing on the line.  Just a round with buddy's. How is it so impossible to believe that a +2 cant shoot 90 on a course that has tough scoring conditions and that he is unfamiliar with? 

 

Thanks phillyk for posting your experience, even though it was a bad one. 

post #146 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot4227 View Post
 

 Just the other day he shot an 88 on one of those 2 courses in perfect weather, normal course conditions, and with nothing on the line.  Just a round with buddy's. 

ANSWER:

Because he isn't a + 1 handicap. Again DIY BS.  (Insert broken record emoticon here. Sorry)

You don't post those scores in perfect conditions on a familiar course.  And the course familiarity thing is usually overstated anyway.

A +1 could certainly do that on a tough course in tough conditions.  It does happen.

 

Once again we have this issue where people on this site have very little comprehension of how good a player has to be to maintain a GENUINE low handicap. 

Yes, it is possible for a + handicapper to have a bad day, it happens all the time. But there is some sort of limit, don't you think.

 

The issue with the OP was that there were accompanying  issues such as non conforming wedges where he apparently didn't even know there was such a thing.  

+ handicappers aren't all equipment freaks, but they certainly knew that they had to change their wedges a few years back.

post #147 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

ANSWER:

Because he isn't a + 1 handicap.


I have played with him more than 10 times.  

post #148 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot4227 View Post
 


I have played with him more than 10 times. 

So he:

 

Mostly hits fairways,

Has a controlled baby draw or power fade that he hits at will and makes it look easy 

Makes a genuine 10 marker look like  a rank beginner

Has a brilliant short game,

Basically makes very few mistakes and recovers almost every time when he does,

For any chip from within a few yards of the green ends up with  a tap in in 80% of the time and

Would consider a score of two over par a bad day on a reasonable course with a fair rating where 72 equates to 72?

Occasionally has a round of 4 or 5 under and

On his day has 6  or 7 birdies and just does everything perfectly and

Always seems to be in total control of the ball.......................................... Because that's what a +1 does

 

Yet shoots 88 in great conditions with his buddys? Nah.

post #149 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

 

 

The issue with the OP was that there were accompanying  issues such as non conforming wedges where he apparently didn't even know there was such a thing.  

+ handicappers aren't all equipment freaks, but they certainly knew that they had to change their wedges a few years back.


You didn't have to change the wedges, what you're on right now is the internet.  I know how to use it to see whether my wedges were conforming or not through the USGA's conforming site.  You can also ask for the wedges to be tested, and guess what?  Mine conformed.  Maybe they shouldn't have conformed so I could've bought new wedges a while ago.

post #150 of 234
@shorty is the only one on this site that knows what a +2 can do obviously.
post #151 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post

@shorty is the only one on this site that knows what a +2 can do obviously.
Obviously. What is this "golf" you speak of?
post #152 of 234
That's not what I see. Looks like a couple low handicap members are looking for validation of their own games by running someone else down. People with legit reputations and experience in the golf industry have refuted everything you said. Only two people are in denial here.
post #153 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

So he:

 

Mostly hits fairways,

Has a controlled baby draw or power fade that he hits at will and makes it look easy 

Makes a genuine 10 marker look like  a rank beginner

Has a brilliant short game,

Basically makes very few mistakes and recovers almost every time when he does,

For any chip from within a few yards of the green ends up with  a tap in in 80% of the time and

Would consider a score of two over par a bad day on a reasonable course with a fair rating where 72 equates to 72?

Occasionally has a round of 4 or 5 under and

On his day has 6  or 7 birdies and just does everything perfectly and

Always seems to be in total control of the ball.......................................... Because that's what a +1 does

 

Yet shoots 88 in great conditions with his buddys? Nah.


Last time I played with him he hit every green, and shot a -6, 66, that day.  He missed quite a few birdie putts that were very make-able.  He also didn't make a bogey.  I don't know how he managed 88, but we do live in cold weather climate were we are lucky to play 6 months a year and we did have a long cold winter were he probably touched a club less than 6 times.  I'm not going to argue with you about it, but just out of curiosity, what is your worst score in the last 6 months?

post #154 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post

@shorty is the only one on this site that knows what a +2 can do obviously.

Yes, obviously because everyone else only thinks pros are with worshipping! I stand corrected, there are people who want to worship + handicaps too..

Hey I have a question, what about a +1.9, an forget it. What about a +1.8, oh wait I meant what about a +....... +.01 ? At what moment so they stop being the perfect neon that shorty mentioned above and turn to the normal human that can have a blow up round from hell?
post #155 of 234
I do have blow up rounds from hell.. they are called 85s. And I'm 3 strokes than a plus 3.
post #156 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post

@shorty is the only one on this site that knows what a +2 can do obviously.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

So he:

 

Mostly hits fairways,

Has a controlled baby draw or power fade that he hits at will and makes it look easy 

Makes a genuine 10 marker look like  a rank beginner

Has a brilliant short game,

Basically makes very few mistakes and recovers almost every time when he does,

For any chip from within a few yards of the green ends up with  a tap in in 80% of the time and

Would consider a score of two over par a bad day on a reasonable course with a fair rating where 72 equates to 72?

Occasionally has a round of 4 or 5 under and

On his day has 6  or 7 birdies and just does everything perfectly and

Always seems to be in total control of the ball.......................................... Because that's what a +1 does

 

Yet shoots 88 in great conditions with his buddys? Nah.

 

 

Don't rag on @GHIN0011458 and @Shorty for this. Even I am starting to learn how to make these shots (as a 17 handicap) with some limited progress in that direction.

 

I figured most people playing golf need to start to learn to shape the ball below a 14 handicap. At least that's what everyone I meet tells me. Makes sense.

post #157 of 234
Well first you have to learn them.. then you have to be able to do it 50 percent of the time.. then 75.. then 90.. then 95.. then 96... then you might be a +2.5
post #158 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

I figured most people playing golf need to start to learn to shape the ball below a 14 handicap. At least that's what everyone I meet tells me. Makes sense.

 

And depending on what you mean by that, you'd be wrong.

 

"Learning" HOW to shape the ball is easy.

 

But if you think most players shape the ball different ways all the time, you'd be wrong. Most good players hit their stock shot 95% of the time or more.

post #159 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

And depending on what you mean by that, you'd be wrong.

"Learning" HOW to shape the ball is easy.

But if you think most players shape the ball different ways all the time, you'd be wrong. Most good players hit their stock shot 95% of the time or more.

QFT.

I'm not all that good, but while I can make the ball go in either direction, if I'm choosing to hit something other than my stock shot shape, I probably did something dumb to put myself into a position to need to do so in the first place.
post #160 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


QFT.

I'm not all that good, but while I can make the ball go in either direction, if I'm choosing to hit something other than my stock shot shape, I probably did something dumb to put myself into a position to need to do so in the first place.


First of all this does happen, but I have also been in many situations where it is questionable what to do off the tee.

 

Of course, I don't mean that people use shaped shots all the time, but they do come in handy. The way I currently extract myself I lose a shot.

post #161 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


QFT.

I'm not all that good, but while I can make the ball go in either direction, if I'm choosing to hit something other than my stock shot shape, I probably did something dumb to put myself into a position to need to do so in the first place.


Yep more often than not I'm just trying to get the thing on the right line with good contact the shot shape is just there when I hit it well. Shaping the ball is for players below scratch for the most part not saying scratch players can't shape it cause they do but not nearly as proficient as guys in the + ranges.

post #162 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post


Yep more often than not I'm just trying to get the thing on the right line with good contact the shot shape is just there when I hit it well. Shaping the ball is for players below scratch for the most part not saying scratch players can't shape it cause they do but not nearly as proficient as guys in the + ranges.

So, I guess the consensus is to lose a shot getting onto the fairway rather than attempt to go around trees? Unless, I'm a plus handicap?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › My first US Open Qualifier experience