or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › My first US Open Qualifier experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My first US Open Qualifier experience - Page 11

post #181 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

That's fine.. at least I am an honest jerk. Would rather be hated for something that I am then loved for something that I am not... I was moved on and wanted to comment on the picture that guy put together. I genuinely thought it was funny. Then I just wanted to go into my weekend of golf and show that if a 0 capper can do it, a +2 can do a lot better than I could. 

 

You could be an honest nice person.

 

And who exactly is "loving" @phillyk? Jealousy seems like an awfully silly reason to be a jerk.

 

Plus, you keep using words like "can" and "should" and such. Those are not the same as "always will," which is the main thing you do not seem to understand about this thread. Good players can and sometimes do completely lose it for a day or two.

post #182 of 234

Not sure if it was mentioned but it is a good thing that tournament round of 90 did not have an effect on that +3 handicap because according to GHIN it was never posted. 

 

I know this was stalkerish for a first post but just found it interesting.

post #183 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by final442 View Post
 

Not sure if it was mentioned but it is a good thing that tournament round of 90 did not have an effect on that +3 handicap because according to GHIN it was never posted. 

 

I know this was stalkerish for a first post but just found it interesting.

 

Nah, now you're just like everyone else on this forum. :beer:

 

Sure he needs to post it, but even so why would it affect his handicap if it were one of his worst 10 scores?

post #184 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

Nah, now you're just like everyone else on this forum. :beer:

 

Sure he needs to post it, but even so why would it affect his handicap if it were one of his worst 10 scores?

Well technically it wouldn't count in the calculation because it was one of the 10 highest scores, but it could push off one of the better scores from the 20 most recent.

 

Also there was some chatter about vanity handicaps of some golfers who selectively not posting every score. 

post #185 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

lol- Glad you spent so much time on this. Lets take a look at conditions and course.. but anyways:

 

Guess what guys- I hit 4 balls OB in the same round and shot 75.. then shot 70 the next day to win a club championship over the weekend.. and I'm not a +2. So I have 4 blow up holes and still hold it to a 70 with greens running 11.5  that are all kinds of sloped on a course I have never played, but won their club championship. Kinda puts a staple in my argument. +2 should have a blown me out.


So what happened the two days you shot 86? Just had a bad day right.

post #186 of 234
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 


So what happened the two days you shot 86? Just had a bad day right.

Well the one 86 is going to be from heavy rain and weather. There is an article on how bad it was that day.. actually I got 3rd place with that. I have a lower ball flight so my carry distance really hurts when it is super wet out. Another thing is that it was roughly 40 degrees that day too.. Course played 7600 yards. I hit driver 3 wood on 3 par 4's. 

 

The second one.. you can look up was actually a 90. Yes, a 90. Was I playing off of a +2.4? No. I was playing off a 1.3. This was a pro event I played in last year(first one) and the course was WAY HARDER and WAY LONGER than a US Open local setup. Anyways.. shot 75 first day.. (5 over) then the second day I KNEW I had to shoot +2 or better to make the cut based on the previous two years. So I made a double on 9 which put me 9 over par for the tournament.. shot 39 on the front, put me at 9 over for the tourney. I then proceeded to shoot 51 on the back that day. What I did that day though to blow up was try and force birdies to make the cut. I was shooting at every pin, I was trying to mash every tee shot.. and it really wasnt my game. I threw course management out the window to make a go.. either I was hero or zero.. I ended up being zero. So you are most likely thinking why is it an 86 on your GHIN.. Read the rules on what you can put into your GHIN and you will understand. 

 

Hopefully this answers your question. 

post #187 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by final442 View Post
 

Well technically it wouldn't count in the calculation because it was one of the 10 highest scores, but it could push off one of the better scores from the 20 most recent.

 

Also there was some chatter about vanity handicaps of some golfers who selectively not posting every score. 



To be perfectly honest, as I've said, this was my first US qualifier experience and i thought since it was their tournament, they would post those scores anyways.  They have access to it all anyway... Probably pretty stupid of me to think that, but I don't really know any better.  So, I just posted it for you... with ESC scoring, bumps it to 85. Yeah i know...

post #188 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyk View Post
 



To be perfectly honest, as I've said, this was my first US qualifier experience and i thought since it was their tournament, they would post those scores anyways.  They have access to it all anyway... Probably pretty stupid of me to think that, but I don't really know any better.  So, I just posted it for you... with ESC scoring, bumps it to 85. Yeah i know...

 

I was just about to post that you are probably waiting for a ruling or official post-able score or something like that.

 

Glad you posted it. :-)

 

May you never have to have this experience again. Next time don't shoot anything over 80! ;-)

post #189 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

Well the one 86 is going to be from heavy rain and weather. There is an article on how bad it was that day.. actually I got 3rd place with that. I have a lower ball flight so my carry distance really hurts when it is super wet out. Another thing is that it was roughly 40 degrees that day too.. Course played 7600 yards. I hit driver 3 wood on 3 par 4's. 

 

The second one.. you can look up was actually a 90. Yes, a 90. Was I playing off of a +2.4? No. I was playing off a 1.3. This was a pro event I played in last year(first one) and the course was WAY HARDER and WAY LONGER than a US Open local setup. Anyways.. shot 75 first day.. (5 over) then the second day I KNEW I had to shoot +2 or better to make the cut based on the previous two years. So I made a double on 9 which put me 9 over par for the tournament.. shot 39 on the front, put me at 9 over for the tourney. I then proceeded to shoot 51 on the back that day. What I did that day though to blow up was try and force birdies to make the cut. I was shooting at every pin, I was trying to mash every tee shot.. and it really wasnt my game. I threw course management out the window to make a go.. either I was hero or zero.. I ended up being zero. So you are most likely thinking why is it an 86 on your GHIN.. Read the rules on what you can put into your GHIN and you will understand. 

 

Hopefully this answers your question. 


Could you come up with any more excuses?  It's okay to say "I really stunk it up that day." or "It just wasn't my day."

 

Also, a 1.3 shooting a 90?  Not sure I'd buy that.  I mean, just going on your very own logic, a 1.3 should have a ceiling of 82, right?

 

C'mon man. 

post #190 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by minitour View Post
 


Could you come up with any more excuses?  It's okay to say "I really stunk it up that day." or "It just wasn't my day."

 

Also, a 1.3 shooting a 90?  Not sure I'd buy that.  I mean, just going on your very own logic, a 1.3 should have a ceiling of 82, right?

 

C'mon man. 

More excuses?? So if I am on the line and have no chance at making the cut.. should I go and try and make the cut or should I say oh screw it I will just play golf in and glad I got to play in this thing. Not even worth arguing over with you.. There are days when I stink it up.. I shoot 85 every once in awhile and I will tell it how it is. I have been more than open about my scores and playing.. so not sure how you could question that... 

post #191 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by minitour View Post
 


Could you come up with any more excuses?  It's okay to say "I really stunk it up that day." or "It just wasn't my day."

 

Also, a 1.3 shooting a 90?  Not sure I'd buy that.  I mean, just going on your very own logic, a 1.3 should have a ceiling of 82, right?

 

C'mon man. 

Also- you are buying that a +2.4 could shoot a 90 so not seeing where you are coming from. 

post #192 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

More excuses?? So if I am on the line and have no chance at making the cut.. should I go and try and make the cut or should I say oh screw it I will just play golf in and glad I got to play in this thing. Not even worth arguing over with you.. There are days when I stink it up.. I shoot 85 every once in awhile and I will tell it how it is. I have been more than open about my scores and playing.. so not sure how you could question that... 

 

Bla bla bla.  "Oh the course was longer than a us open local qualifier" "oh it was because of weather".  Give me a break, dude.  I think you need to get over yourself. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

Also- you are buying that a +2.4 could shoot a 90 so not seeing where you are coming from. 

Yep.  Stuff happens.

post #193 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by minitour View Post
 

 

Bla bla bla.  "Oh the course was longer than a us open local qualifier" "oh it was because of weather".  Give me a break, dude.  I think you need to get over yourself. 

Yep.  Stuff happens.

Well let's see when I have mini-tour guys in a tourney and they are saying it was set up the same as a PGA Tour Event and we have a previous winner now on the PGA Tour and only shooting 6 under for 3 days I would say its a pretty tough course. Where are your scores minitour? I know what you are trying to do and not worried about it.. I had a bad back 9 because I didn't play my game? Is that what you want to hear? Going for a pin that is 6 paces from a 6 foot deep bunker and no green to work with.. Tour Pro's would have trouble getting up and down much less for a 1.3. So yes, I didn't have good course management and shot myself in the foot on the back 9. I shot a 39 on the front with two doubles.. so can't really call it a bad day. 

post #194 of 234

So now we're adding tucked pins to weather and a pga tour set-up!  Wow.  I'm pretty impressed.  But your point is that there should be a scoring max for people of various handicap indexes.  Well, what should your max be as a 1.3?  77?  80?  Either way, 86?  90?!  Get real, man. 

post #195 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

Well let's see when I have mini-tour guys in a tourney and they are saying it was set up the same as a PGA Tour Event and we have a previous winner now on the PGA Tour and only shooting 6 under for 3 days I would say its a pretty tough course. Where are your scores minitour? I know what you are trying to do and not worried about it.. I had a bad back 9 because I didn't play my game? Is that what you want to hear? Going for a pin that is 6 paces from a 6 foot deep bunker and no green to work with.. Tour Pro's would have trouble getting up and down much less for a 1.3. So yes, I didn't have good course management and shot myself in the foot on the back 9. I shot a 39 on the front with two doubles.. so can't really call it a bad day. 

I'm no shrink, but you sometimes come across as if you're looking for validation. It's ok to just chill the heck out.

post #196 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

Well the one 86 is going to be from heavy rain and weather. There is an article on how bad it was that day.. actually I got 3rd place with that. I have a lower ball flight so my carry distance really hurts when it is super wet out. Another thing is that it was roughly 40 degrees that day too.. Course played 7600 yards. I hit driver 3 wood on 3 par 4's. 

 

The second one.. you can look up was actually a 90. Yes, a 90. Was I playing off of a +2.4? No. I was playing off a 1.3. This was a pro event I played in last year(first one) and the course was WAY HARDER and WAY LONGER than a US Open local setup. Anyways.. shot 75 first day.. (5 over) then the second day I KNEW I had to shoot +2 or better to make the cut based on the previous two years. So I made a double on 9 which put me 9 over par for the tournament.. shot 39 on the front, put me at 9 over for the tourney. I then proceeded to shoot 51 on the back that day. What I did that day though to blow up was try and force birdies to make the cut. I was shooting at every pin, I was trying to mash every tee shot.. and it really wasnt my game. I threw course management out the window to make a go.. either I was hero or zero.. I ended up being zero. So you are most likely thinking why is it an 86 on your GHIN.. Read the rules on what you can put into your GHIN and you will understand. 

 

Hopefully this answers your question. 

 

Should you ever want to go with a screen name other than your GHIN number, "Alibi Ike" might work.

 

That's the title of a superb old baseball story by the great Ring Lardner. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys good sports literature.

post #197 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by minitour View Post
 


Could you come up with any more excuses?  It's okay to say "I really stunk it up that day." or "It just wasn't my day."

 

Also, a 1.3 shooting a 90?  Not sure I'd buy that.  I mean, just going on your very own logic, a 1.3 should have a ceiling of 82, right?

 

C'mon man. 


I can see there was no right answer by your response here, he was asked a question of why this happened and instead of being vague he gave it why do you have a problem with it?

post #198 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post
 


I can see there was no right answer by your response here, he was asked a question of why this happened and instead of being vague he gave it why do you have a problem with it?


Because by his own (flawed...terribly flawed) logic it should never happen!  A 1.3 should NEVER shoot a 90!!  Rabble rabble.  I love the word should.  I should be waking up between Charlize Theron and Christina Ricci every morning, but guess what....that ain't happening either.

 

Doesn't matter what the conditions were, it should NEVER happen.  Right?  Isn't that his whole (terrible) argument?  That a +whatever index should NEVER shoot over xyz score...and conveniently he gets to set the max scoring mark.  So, shouldn't a 1.3 index have the same rules applied?  No, he's just being an ITG, probably TPS showing up on teh intarwebz and he needs to just go back under his bridge and wait for the next billy-goat. 

 

So the guy shot a 90 in US Open Local qualifying.

 

Did it impact the stock market?  Because I may care about that.

Did it reduce the price of oil?  Because I would care about that.

Did it do anything to impact aaaaaanybody reading this thread?  Nnnnnnnnyope.

 

But this guy decides to come in and start trolling from the beginning, and why?  What did this do for him?  Allow him the opportunity to talk about how good his game is (except when it's a long pga tour setup and the weather is bad, apparently)?  Couldn't have started his own thread for that, could he?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › My first US Open Qualifier experience