or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (suchjosh)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (suchjosh)

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I've been Playing Golf for: I played for around 6 years during junior high and high school. I took around ten years off and have just picked the game back up about 3 weeks ago. 

 

My current handicap index or average score is: I'm shooting in the +20-25 range currently

 

My typical ball flight is: Draw

 

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Ball striking is not very consistent. I top/thin some tee shots and can hit my longer irons pretty fat. 

 


 

Videos:

 

Sorry for the poor quality

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 15

Hi welcome to the site. You contact issues stem from your head/upper body drifting to the right on the backswing.  You're going to feel more left side bend (explained more in the video). Check out the difference in the tilt of the shoulders on the takeaway, your shoulder are too level.

 

 

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

This lateral move was my problem when I was playing years ago as well. Is this mostly going to be something I fix through feels alone, or are there any good drills to work on? Sometimes I feel like I get zero weight shift to my right foot when I make a centered turn, and I think this is why I'm moving so much.

post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchjosh View Post
 

This lateral move was my problem when I was playing years ago as well. Is this mostly going to be something I fix through feels alone, or are there any good drills to work on? Sometimes I feel like I get zero weight shift to my right foot when I make a centered turn, and I think this is why I'm moving so much.

 

Stick with the feels and film multiple swings to confirm. If the head is still moving, feel it more.

 

Will probably feel like you "shift" less into your right foot, might even feel like you're slightly left. It's a feel and not what is actually happening. "Loading" into your right side, translating right, doesn't add anything to your swing, just makes solid contact harder to achieve.

 

For more drills, check out the Key #1 videos

 

 5SK Video Thread 

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Went to the range last night and worked on keeping my vision very centered over the ball on my turn, and it was very successful. I was striking the ball very consistently throughout the bag. I'll get some video next week. Found that my range has a very nice putting green and worked on that for a while as well, also with good results. 

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchjosh View Post
 

Went to the range last night and worked on keeping my vision very centered over the ball on my turn, and it was very successful. I was striking the ball very consistently throughout the bag. I'll get some video next week. Found that my range has a very nice putting green and worked on that for a while as well, also with good results. 

 

Great!

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
I haven't gotten a chance to video anymore swings. I'm waiting on the upcoming wedding to get a camera!

I'm still struggling with contact, but not as bad. The vast majority of my misses are thin and off the toe. Looking through my video and at other swings I'm noticing that I tend to push the butt of the club back and the start of my swing. My arms seem to get really far away from my body, and I think that this is a factor in my swaying motion. Next time at the range I'm going to try and feel my left arm closer to my chest at takeaway, and see if that helps.
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 

Got a new iPhone and a gorilla pod, so I'm able to video at my convenience now. I am just now getting back into the swing of it this season, didn't play any throughout the winter. I've probably played 36 holes over the last month or so, with just a few practice sessions. 

 

Still showing some contact issues. Ball flight is a draw. My misses with my irons are thin or off the toe (short). My driver is giving my the most difficulty, with my miss being a big push/fade. Priority piece is still Key #1. Trying to increase my shoulder tilt on the back swing. Trying to feel pressure on my left foot and extension through the right side. I use Mike's centered turn drill for practice swings, trying to really feel the bend in my left knee/pressure in the left foot.

 

I don't think the swing looks a lot different from last year. Still struggling to keep my head still. These are 7-iron swings.

 

 

 

 

post #9 of 15
Hey man, that's a good looking swing from what I can see. I'm no pro though, I hope you have a great season :)
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post

Hey man, that's a good looking swing from what I can see. I'm no pro though, I hope you have a great season :)

Thanks man. So far I've been playing pretty well, and missing shots doesn't fluster me like it did when I was playing competitively. If I could get off the tee with more accuracy, I really think I could post some decent scores.
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Just saw @saevel25 referring to this 5 keys video and thought I'd have a look at impact for myself. I have a lot of flip past impact, and thought this could be a result of not turning through impact enough.

At impact it look like my hips have cleared some, but my shoulders are still quite square (maybe even closed) to the target. This could be a good drill for me.



post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchjosh View Post

Just saw @saevel25 referring to this 5 keys video and thought I'd have a look at impact for myself. I have a lot of flip past impact, and thought this could be a result of not turning through impact enough.
At impact it look like my hips have cleared some, but my shoulders are still quite square (maybe even closed) to the target. This could be a good drill for me.

 

It's tough to say which way you should go on this one. I agree that your body stalls out and doesn't keep up your pivot rates on the late downswing and follow-through, but… If you look at your backswing, you never gain much depth. So I imagine that a big part of the stalling is your body's way of trying to not swing too far left. You're doing all you can to try to lay the shaft down and deliver the clubhead to the ball a bit from the inside and not wipe across it, and part of that involves stalling the body so you don't turn left too much.

 

I'd work on gaining more depth with the backswing first.

 

Please list an approximate handicap index. If you're a 2 the advice is different than if you're a 12 or a 22.

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
So a deeper backswing, one where may hands travel a bit more to the inside, would allow for more body pivot left, as the club is already on a more inside/out plane if I achieve a deeper backswing. Am I understanding that correctly? Approximate handicap is 18-20 I will add it above.
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 


So here I want to be feeling that may hands stay much closer to my legs and more pressure in my armpits getting to A2. It doesn't seem like I have a strong tendency to roll the club open and under the plane line, so if I can maintain that and keep my hands closer to my body, I can achieve a deeper and on plane backswing.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchjosh View Post


So here I want to be feeling that may hands stay much closer to my legs and more pressure in my armpits getting to A2. It doesn't seem like I have a strong tendency to roll the club open and under the plane line, so if I can maintain that and keep my hands closer to my body, I can achieve a deeper and on plane backswing.

 

Yes, make swings with a tee or glove in your left armpit.

 

Notice the lack of space between the upper part of the left arm and the side of the pec with these guys. Then look at your A2.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (suchjosh)