or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › 2014 Erie/Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Buffalo Summer Get-Together (August 16-17)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Erie/Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Buffalo Summer Get-Together (August 16-17) - Page 27

post #469 of 552
Hope everyone had as much fun as I did. Great time playing with @cipher, @billchao, and @Lihu in the single-club scramble.

Selfishly, the only picture I took was of the second green. We went with 6 iron, and lasered it at 116 yards. Lihu hit a bounding ball up the right side that left us with about 20 feet for birdie. I hit kind of a flop 6-iron that landed a yard or so left of the pin and rolled out (the one of the left is Nate's).





We ended up shooting +3 for the round. Three bogeys, never did roll in a birdie putt with the 6-irons, despite Nate's backhanded attempts.

Sunday, I was with Bill again, @georgep, and @Divot Master. We ended up with 68 (IIRC) points, but it was a fun round.

Bill hit the our group's gustiest shot of the day (code for "maybe the dumbest shot of the day that turned out REALLY well" a2_wink.gif) on the 8th tee. Driver to a fairway that tightens where you'd be landing a driver, and he killed the thing straight down the middle. He made gross par (net birdie) IIRC.

Other notables:
  • I nearly holed out from the fairway on the 4th hole (after a 4-iron tee ball a bit chunked and toed into the hazard left, a drop, and a chunked 8-iron that got lucky). Ball mark was just a few inches from the cup, and it nicked the flagstick. That was despite taking enough turf to resod my backyard post-impact.
  • I hit the ball pretty well most of the day, but not as far as Mike and Erik could tell you. Of my handful of poor shots (and putts, thanks to the 16th green), they saw every.single.one.
  • That pin on 17th was diabolical if you had a long putt.
  • If Bill had a better shot than the tee ball at 8, it was his second at 10. He got a nice kick left after hitting it tee ball towards the right trees, then hit an awesome approach shot to just short of the green. (I won't mention his 4-putt for net par. b2_tongue.gif)
  • Marshall was very consistent throughout. Fairways and greens, fairways and greens. His local knowledge really helped on a few holes, especially since we had only played the front on Saturday.
  • George had a much better back nine. The rest of us, on the other hand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler View Post

I counted 29 points that I bagged. Should have been 35-40. Oh well. It was fun though.

The playoff was two guys at 30, so 29 is pretty darn good.
post #470 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

By next year I'll *hopefully* be in the fairway reliably. But I'd still need to pick up 10-15 mph on my swing to catch Matt in distance.


All you need is to tag one. The creek on 15th in which you and Rob ran the ball with your tee shots is well over 325 I think (even if it was downhill going into the creek). Also, Rob hit 'baby cuts' on 17th and 18th with just partial wedge on 17th left and may be a full wedge at the most (I think) on 18th. Damn.

 

I say game on. :-))

post #471 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfLug View Post
 


All you need is to tag one. The creek on 15th in which you and Rob ran the ball with your tee shots is well over 325 I think (even if it was downhill going into the creek). Also, Rob hit 'baby cuts' on 17th and 18th with just partial wedge on 17th left and may be a full wedge at the most (I think) on 18th. Damn.

 

I say game on. :-))

I appreciate the vote of confidence, however, you have to play with Matt to truly appreciated how far he hits the ball consistently. Now, give me another year of working on my swing and possibly increasing my swing speed a bit and we'll see. Maybe next year we can have a long drive competition, it does sound like fun.

post #472 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

I appreciate the vote of confidence, however, you have to play with Matt to truly appreciated how far he hits the ball consistently. Now, give me another year of working on my swing and possibly increasing my swing speed a bit and we'll see. Maybe next year we can have a long drive competition, it does sound like fun.


I would love to see a long drive and closest to the pin competition in the future. I wasn't entirely crazy about the 1 club challenge, but primarily since I was hitting my 5i very crappily.

 

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post
The playoff was two guys at 30, so 29 is pretty darn good.


Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it, but having as many GIRs as I did and only walking away with 1 natural birdie and a few 2 putt bogeys makes me cringe. There's always those ones that got away you know.

post #473 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfLug View Post
 


All you need is to tag one. The creek on 15th in which you and Rob ran the ball with your tee shots is well over 325 I think (even if it was downhill going into the creek). Also, Rob hit 'baby cuts' on 17th and 18th with just partial wedge on 17th left and may be a full wedge at the most (I think) on 18th. Damn.

 

I say game on. :-))

 

You talking about that small creek hazard on the left before the fairway bunker on the right? Hole 15 is that par 5 with the BIG hazard that sits about 130 yards from the green? There is a fairway bunker on the right that sits about 300 yards from the tee box?

post #474 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

You talking about that small creek hazard on the left before the fairway bunker on the right? Hole 15 is that par 5 with the BIG hazard that sits about 130 yards from the green? There is a fairway bunker on the right that sits about 300 yards from the tee box?

Yeah, I hit a provisional that ended up down just inside the red stakes straight down the fairway. I'm guessing it landed right towards the end of the fairway and bounced hard and rolled. Rob hit a super high power fade that was a little more right but must have ended up down there too. I am pretty sure his carried further than mine though. We found my first drive back by the bunker on the right. I wedged it out to the fairway to the left and hit 8 iron 175 ish to the back part of the green. Probably one of the best holes I played.

post #475 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

You talking about that small creek hazard on the left before the fairway bunker on the right? Hole 15 is that par 5 with the BIG hazard that sits about 130 yards from the green? There is a fairway bunker on the right that sits about 300 yards from the tee box?


I am talking about Hole 15/par 5 - The BIG hazard that sits 130 yards from the green. No joke this. Like I said these boys can tag it. If had I not witnessed these drives I would mail you the trophy. I think you definitely would take it if we are talking average.

post #476 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Hope everyone had as much fun as I did. Great time playing with @cipher, @billchao, and @Lihu in the single-club scramble.

Selfishly, the only picture I took was of the second green. We went with 6 iron, and lasered it at 116 yards. Lihu hit a bounding ball up the right side that left us with about 20 feet for birdie. I hit kind of a flop 6-iron that landed a yard or so left of the pin and rolled out (the one of the left is Nate's).





We ended up shooting +3 for the round. Three bogeys, never did roll in a birdie putt with the 6-irons, despite Nate's backhanded attempts.

Not pictured: my tee shot. I was the only one to miss that green (it was just to the right).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Sunday, I was with Bill again, @georgep, and @Divot Master. We ended up with 68 (IIRC) points, but it was a fun round.

Bill hit the our group's gustiest shot of the day (code for "maybe the dumbest shot of the day that turned out REALLY well" a2_wink.gif) on the 8th tee. Driver to a fairway that tightens where you'd be landing a driver, and he killed the thing straight down the middle. He made gross par (net birdie) IIRC.

Agreed, I had lots of fun. And in my defense, unless the fairway is 80 yards wide, driver is always a dumb choice for me, so on that tee box I figured I'll just go for it. That, and at the time, I wasn't hitting anything else much better anyway. Worked out great B-)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Other notables:
  • I nearly holed out from the fairway on the 4th hole (after a 4-iron tee ball a bit chunked and toed into the hazard left, a drop, and a chunked 8-iron that got lucky). Ball mark was just a few inches from the cup, and it nicked the flagstick. That was despite taking enough turf to resod my backyard post-impact.
  • I hit the ball pretty well most of the day, but not as far as Mike and Erik could tell you. Of my handful of poor shots (and putts, thanks to the 16th green), they saw every.single.one.

You definitely hit a lot of great shots. The poor shots you hit stood out to me, because of how well you were hitting the ball.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

 
  • That pin on 17th was diabolical if you had a long putt.

<-- GIR, grossed 6 :8)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

 
  • If Bill had a better shot than the tee ball at 8, it was his second at 10. He got a nice kick left after hitting it tee ball towards the right trees, then hit an awesome approach shot to just short of the green. (I won't mention his 4-putt for net par. b2_tongue.gif)

It was a 3-putt! First one was from the fairway :-P

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

 
  • Marshall was very consistent throughout. Fairways and greens, fairways and greens. His local knowledge really helped on a few holes, especially since we had only played the front on Saturday.
  • George had a much better back nine. The rest of us, on the other hand...

Agreed. Great guys to play with; I had a great time, despite hacking it up out there.

post #477 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

Yeah, I hit a provisional that ended up down just inside the red stakes straight down the fairway. I'm guessing it landed right towards the end of the fairway and bounced hard and rolled. Rob hit a super high power fade that was a little more right but must have ended up down there too. I am pretty sure his carried further than mine though. We found my first drive back by the bunker on the right. I wedged it out to the fairway to the left and hit 8 iron 175 ish to the back part of the green. Probably one of the best holes I played.

 

I wont question where the ball ended up. Cipher hooked his drive a bit and it ran all the way down to that small creek hazard on the left, about 270 out from the tee box. That ground over there was hard because it is has a pretty good slope to it, tilted towards the fairway. I never saw my drive land. That hole has a blind landing area once you crest that first hill about halfway down the fairway. If you flew one out by that bunker on the right, there is that downslope around that fairway bunker, it probably kicked very hard and ran through. Then it's much steeper from the fairway too the hazard. 

 

I knew my drive flew into the branches of the trees on the left side of the fairway opposite the right fairway bunker. Would have been interesting to see were that ended up if I actually hit the fairway on that hole. :whistle: 

post #478 of 552

I can't speak for anybody else, but I would find it pretty interesting if you all would update this thread with your thoughts/experiences from yesterday.

 

How did you choose to play it?  How did it work out?  Would you play it differently next time?

 

Stuff like that. :)

post #479 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

 

 Would have been interesting to see were that ended up if I actually hit the fairway on that hole. :whistle: 


Yeah, let's verify next year. :-)

post #480 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

I wont question where the ball ended up. Cipher hooked his drive a bit and it ran all the way down to that small creek hazard on the left, about 270 out from the tee box. That ground over there was hard because it is has a pretty good slope to it, tilted towards the fairway. I never saw my drive land. That hole has a blind landing area once you crest that first hill about halfway down the fairway. If you flew one out by that bunker on the right, there is that downslope around that fairway bunker, it probably kicked very hard and ran through. Then it's much steeper from the fairway too the hazard. 

 

I knew my drive flew into the branches of the trees on the left side of the fairway opposite the right fairway bunker. Would have been interesting to see were that ended up if I actually hit the fairway on that hole. :whistle: 

I don't think you'd have found where it ended up if you kept it straight, Probably would have landed in the hazard.

post #481 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

I don't think you'd have found where it ended up if you kept it straight, Probably would have landed in the hazard.

 

There were a few shorter par 4's where I think @saevel25 would simply over drive the green including the 16th. On the 16th, his drive went clear over hazards to the fairway left and behind.

post #482 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

There were a few shorter par 4's where I think @saevel25 would simply over drive the green including the 16th. On the 16th, his drive went clear over hazards to the fairway left and behind.

 

I could drive 4 and 5's green, but the risk for a lost ball is way too high. 16 is the only reasonable one to drive because it actually is pretty open up by the green. I just hooked my drive about 70 yards left into 17's fairway bunker. 

post #483 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

I could drive 4 and 5's green, but the risk for a lost ball is way too high. 16 is the only reasonable one to drive because it actually is pretty open up by the green. I just hooked my drive about 70 yards left into 17's fairway bunker. 


Rob did drive the 5th green. Was back right of the green, chipped up for a tap in bird. 

post #484 of 552

On a separate note, Erik and Mike driving around and visiting groups during the round turned out to be a absolutely winning idea!

 

I hope they enjoyed it as much as we did. I can't wait for the photographs they took, especially the one of me draining a 20 feet snake putt for the only bird of the day on 11th (and the only putt I made all day - three putted 8 times - ughh).

post #485 of 552


Thanks to you as well!  Cedric, Mack, and you also!  The three of you were great teammates and made for a great day on the course!

post #486 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfLug View Post

On a separate note, Erik and Mike driving around and visiting groups during the round turned out to be a absolutely winning idea!

I hope they enjoyed it as much as we did. I can't wait for the photographs they took, especially the one of me draining a 20 feet snake putt for the only bird of the day on 11th (and the only putt I made all day - three putted 8 times - ughh).
I'm sure they had quite a few chuckles at my expense. a2_wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › 2014 Erie/Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Buffalo Summer Get-Together (August 16-17)