or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › In the Rough, Close to the Hole -- What's the Preferred Technique?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In the Rough, Close to the Hole -- What's the Preferred Technique? - Page 5

post #73 of 81

This is a good thread!

I been playing in some hilly courses and been finding whether I choose a hi flop or lo chip also depends on my stance more than the type of lie.

 

 

The toughest one would be a downhill stance with ball in the rough. How to play this? I cant see to use the bounce of the wedge on this one .

The toe down putting type chip doesnt seem go thru heavy grass that well.

I thinking the Mickelson type hinge and hold type chip with forward press would work the best in this lie.

post #74 of 81

We saw last PGA tournament how hard it is to play those kind off shots.

 

 

1. is a good position you can pretty much play it how you like.

2. probably a SW with a little more upright movement so you dig in under the ball, keeping in mind to accelerate trough the ball

3. i probably try to flop it out there and pray for the best

post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchoye View Post

 

The toughest one would be a downhill stance with ball in the rough. How to play this? I cant see to use the bounce of the wedge on this one .

 

These are actually my favorite pitches to hit. Just do the same thing except try to get hips parallel to the slope at address. No reason you can't use the bounce on this shot.

post #76 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

These are actually my favorite pitches to hit. Just do the same thing except try to get hips parallel to the slope at address. No reason you can't use the bounce on this shot.

 

 

There's a video on the forum where Erik is showing an interesting way to do downhill pitch shots, where you stand facing the target, and swing the club down the slope of the hill with the ball offset your right foot. Its kinda crazy looking, but it works really well. 

post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

 

There's a video on the forum where Erik is showing an interesting way to do downhill pitch shots, where you stand facing the target, and swing the club down the slope of the hill with the ball offset your right foot. Its kinda crazy looking, but it works really well.

Yeah, and I want to say that is on this thread, but probably several pages back.

 

I attempt to play this shot just like @mvmac said that he does.  Except they're certainly not my favorite pitches to hit.

 

I played baseball for about 18 years!! (Click to show)
My favorite pitches to hit have always been high fastballs. ;-)
post #78 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

These are actually my favorite pitches to hit. Just do the same thing except try to get hips parallel to the slope at address. No reason you can't use the bounce on this shot.

Can you post that video again?

 

Im been finding that how high the ball sits up in the rough makes a big different on shot selection.

I would still rather chip it but use the toe of the wedge if the ball sits low and do the standard H&H if I can get the flange underneath the ball.

post #79 of 81

I was in similar spot to the picture #3 yesterday.  I had a nice drive and my approach shot was about 5 yards from the edge of the green but over a little hill also with deep grass on it.  The pin was close to the side I was on so there was not much room to play with.  I had no clue what shot to take and ended up scoring a 7!!!!!  I was very frustrated.  My first swing went under the ball and it went about 6 inches maybe.  My next shot went about half way there and stopped.  I then bladed it and shot it across the green.  It is no mystery why I am striving to break 100 for the first time.  I will have to come back and read every page of this thread so I can at least know how to approach it next time.

post #80 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchoye View Post
 

Can you post that video again?

 

Im been finding that how high the ball sits up in the rough makes a big different on shot selection.

I would still rather chip it but use the toe of the wedge if the ball sits low and do the standard H&H if I can get the flange underneath the ball.

 

This video?

 

post #81 of 81

However you hit the ball, the key is first in finding out where the bottom of the ball is; that is, how far down the ball is sitting in the grass. Without knowing that, you risk blading the ball or hitting way underneath it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › In the Rough, Close to the Hole -- What's the Preferred Technique?