or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread

post #1 of 1034
Thread Starter 

Nice look at the first hole, I really like the "minimalist" look. U.S. Open is only 18 days away!

 

 

post #2 of 1034

I love Pinehurst, I was there for the 1999 US Open and personally witnessed Payne Stewart sink that final putt on 18. It was an incredible experience.

 

My prediction will be Tiger wins, and Phil is second with 1 shot behind.

post #3 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post

I love Pinehurst, I was there for the 1999 US Open and personally witnessed Payne Stewart sink that final putt on 18. It was an incredible experience.

My prediction will be Tiger wins, and Phil is second with 1 shot behind.
Tigers probably not even going to play, i can see a guy like Kuchar or Furyk winning
post #4 of 1034

http://espn.go.com/golf/usopen14/story/_/id/10968093/callaway-offers-match-phil-mickelson-us-open-payday-contest

 

Quote:

The company announced Thursday the "Big Big Bertha Payday" promotion whereby golfers who demo the brand's Big Bertha drivers or fairway wood at retailers before the final round of this year's U.S. Open will be entered into a drawing. The winner will get a lump sum payment of the exact amount of money Mickelson, who endorses Callaway, wins at Pinehurst.

 

Consumers who demo the product will be given a code and entered into a random drawing. The winner will win whatever Mickelson wins. If he wins the U.S. Open, Mickelson and the lucky consumer will win $1.5 million.

post #5 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post


Tigers probably not even going to play, i can see a guy like Kuchar or Furyk winning

 

Your sarcasm detector is off a bit.

post #6 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post
 

My prediction will be Tiger wins, and Phil is second with 1 shot behind.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

Tigers probably not even going to play, i can see a guy like Kuchar or Furyk winning

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post
 

Your sarcasm detector is off a bit.

I htink your sarcasm creator is off by a bit as well.  Nothing about your comment implied you were joking, and @RJH999 was just trying to inform.  Gotta add a smiley at the end :-P, or make it obvious by picking somebody a lot less likely to come in second than Phil.:beer:

post #7 of 1034

looking at all the flyovers now...this is laid out TOUGH

post #8 of 1034

Would love to see a close up of that sandy rough area on the fairway edges.

 

I'm picking Sergio

post #9 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post



I htink your sarcasm creator is off by a bit as well.  Nothing about your comment implied you were joking, and @RJH999
 was just trying to inform.  Gotta add a smiley at the end b2_tongue.gif , or make it obvious by picking somebody a lot less likely to come in second than Phil.c2_beer.gif
I think Michael Campbell will win.
😃😀😊. Smileys all around lol
post #10 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post


I think Michael Campbell will win.
😃😀😊. Smileys all around lol

Well sorry to burst your bubble but he has already pulled out :(

post #11 of 1034
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by k14 View Post

Well sorry to burst your bubble but he has already pulled out :(
I know 😔. I was looking forward to his annual missed cut
post #12 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post
 

looking at all the flyovers now...this is laid out TOUGH

 

T to green it is honestly not a tough course - it is all about the greens. I don't think the native areas are going to be a huge factor and unless they draw a terrible they are not a real hard shot for these guys. i am excited to for the open - I loved #2 before the makeover and after it is even better - i would not be shocked to see -7 or 8 as a winner and I think it will be an exciting Open.

post #13 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer View Post
 

 

T to green it is honestly not a tough course - it is all about the greens. I don't think the native areas are going to be a huge factor and unless they draw a terrible they are not a real hard shot for these guys. i am excited to for the open - I loved #2 before the makeover and after it is even better - i would not be shocked to see -7 or 8 as a winner and I think it will be an exciting Open.

I would agree with this 100%. I loved playing there and even the sandy areas and pinestraw are not going to be killers....the greens are the key. 

 

Playing there and having the caddie tell me to hit a right to left put 5 inches out, when I KNEW the break I saw was at least 5 inches left to right...well, it only took me 2 misses and him laughing and saying "trust me" before I listened.

 

I have never played greens where you could trust your eyes less.

post #14 of 1034

Both U.S. Opens held there had a winning score of Even, so I'm not expecting low scores unless it gets really wet.

 

Last US Open there was the one where Goosen had a firm grip on the Championship and was on his way to winning his 3rd US Open in 5 years and then shocked everyone by having an awful final round and Michael Campbell ended up winning.

 

Usually the rough isn't bad at Pinehurst....it's just a matter of holding your shots on the green. and grinding for pars. I think Spieth is a good US Open-style player and I think he has to be the favorite coming into the Open, especially given the way he's been playing. No doubt he's the favorite. Kaymer's on good form, but not sure his short game can hold up at Pinehurst.

post #15 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer View Post
 

 

I don't think the native areas are going to be a huge factor and unless they draw a terrible they are not a real hard shot for these guys.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzclarkcpa View Post
 

I would agree with this 100%. I loved playing there and even the sandy areas and pinestraw are not going to be killers....the greens are the key.

What about the "grassy and weedy" areas off to the side.  What is it?  Is it rough?  Ice plant?  Anything at all to worry about?

 

I can't tell from the flyover.  What I can tell, though, is that that course looks pretty amazing.  I'd love to play there!

post #16 of 1034

I like Spieth, but I am not sure his putting is going to hold up on the greens. For some reason, Graeme McDowell seems to me like he will be standing at the end.

post #17 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer View Post
 

 

T to green it is honestly not a tough course - it is all about the greens. I don't think the native areas are going to be a huge factor and unless they draw a terrible they are not a real hard shot for these guys. i am excited to for the open - I loved #2 before the makeover and after it is even better - i would not be shocked to see -7 or 8 as a winner and I think it will be an exciting Open.


I agree, I'm always just amazed at the length of the pro tees.  The numbers seem huge to someone like me.

Still, I'm sure my guess for winning score (-6), is still optimistic.  I think scores will be held tighter than some of the birdie-fests out there, but I always expect someone or three to have a breakout tourny and stand apart.  (i.e., lots of players at +1 to -1, maybe one or two to break away at -5 or -6.....)

 

just guessing, I haven't been checking stats or watching as much this year.

post #18 of 1034
Thread Starter 

Anyone know where the women are playing their US Open this year? ;-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread