or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread - Page 2

post #19 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

Anyone know where the women are playing their US Open this year? ;-)

 

I heard it's at some course that will be beat to heck.

post #20 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

I heard it's at some course that will be beat to heck.

Wait, they are playing at my course????

 

I kid!

post #21 of 1034

This sets up for Zach Johnson or Furyk to win this. The way Furyk is playing this year, I am going to give me the nod. Think he finally closes his 2nd major out. Pretty pumped

post #22 of 1034
Personally I'm looking forward to the Payne Stewart love fest that will certainly develop. One of the greats that should've had a few more majors in him.
post #23 of 1034

Pinehurst is all about the greens. The landing areas on approach shots are very small, due to the severe drop offs.

 

It will be all about chipping and putting. They will need to be able to recover when the ball rolls off the slopes.

post #24 of 1034

Will be interesting to see how Mickelson performs. He's had a horrible year, but we know he so desperately wants this major. I have a feeling he's going to work his butt off the next 3 weeks to prepare for Pinehurst. A Mickelson win would erase the terrible year golf's had so far. Would be an amazing story.

post #25 of 1034
My wife just surprised me with open tix for Sunday. Can't wait. Any suggestions or tips on planning my day? First time to the us open / or a pro gold tournament for that matter.
post #26 of 1034

This will be the first year that the Women's Open will be the next week at the same venue.  An experiment............   The USGA strikes again.  Condition of the greens, practice range, possibility of weather delays, on and on.  Doesn't seem too smart to me.

post #27 of 1034
I can tell you the course is hard! Just played it today as they're getting it ready for the Open. Miss the fairways and get into the ice plant and stuff you're dead, even for the pros. They had the Sunday pins today and wow! You realize how good these guys are putting on these greens. Put it near the edge and watch it roll off 20 yds. I was pleased to break 90 here and to see where the pros tee off from its absolutely amazing what they can do.
post #28 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ludden View Post

I can tell you the course is hard! Just played it today as they're getting it ready for the Open. Miss the fairways and get into the ice plant and stuff you're dead, even for the pros. They had the Sunday pins today and wow! You realize how good these guys are putting on these greens. Put it near the edge and watch it roll off 20 yds. I was pleased to break 90 here and to see where the pros tee off from its absolutely amazing what they can do.

 

Wow! That is awesome! Must be nice to be there and play, very cool story.

post #29 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorJerry41 View Post
 

This will be the first year that the Women's Open will be the next week at the same venue.  An experiment............   The USGA strikes again.  Condition of the greens, practice range, possibility of weather delays, on and on.  Doesn't seem too smart to me.

 

I guess we'll see. It will be interesting either way.

post #30 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ludden View Post

I can tell you the course is hard! Just played it today as they're getting it ready for the Open. Miss the fairways and get into the ice plant and stuff you're dead, even for the pros. They had the Sunday pins today and wow! You realize how good these guys are putting on these greens. Put it near the edge and watch it roll off 20 yds. I was pleased to break 90 here and to see where the pros tee off from its absolutely amazing what they can do.

 

So is the rough there high? Because the last two previous Opens there, they did not penalize you much for missing the fairway (like Merion last year).

post #31 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
 

 

So is the rough there high? Because the last two previous Opens there, they did not penalize you much for missing the fairway (like Merion last year).


There is no mowed "rough" in the traditional sense.

 

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out and which type of players the new design favors.

 

Edit: Outside of the obvious that if you can hit it both long and straight you can play any course. :-D

post #32 of 1034

The Open set a record with over 10000 accepted entries for the local qualifiers.  This is pros and amateurs (amateurs with 1.5 handicap or better). My grandson, Eric McCardle (age 24), tied for first in Las Vegas out of a field of 153. Tough course at  TPC Summerlin as the tied medalists were 1 under on the 18 hole qualifier.  He will play at Olympic Club and Lake Merced on 2 June.  Thirty-six holes in one day to test for skill and stamina.  Hopefully, then on to Pinehurst.  Possibility of top 7 advancing. Driving up from Phoenix to see the event.

post #33 of 1034
Thread Starter 
Quote:
The par-3 sixth calls on another demanding right-to-left shaped shot that probably should fly to the green. While the opening appears generous to land one short, the deep swale and bunker left of the green will attract a lot of seemingly good shots. 

This 219-yard hole for the men, 175 yards for the women, was added in 1923 by Donald Ross when he modified this portion of the course.

 

post #34 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post

My wife just surprised me with open tix for Sunday. 

Well that's a KEEPER

post #35 of 1034

Kind of surprised at some of the predictions people are making in the "Jet speed driver" thread, -6 would be flat out phenomenal on this course, a lot of folks are not aware of these "turtleback" greens are going to be extremely difficult to get the ball to hold onto, 99' Stewart was the only player to finish below par -1 and if I remember the course was wet at least sunday and maybe even days before, that's the key though if it's dry count on even par to be right there or even a few over, the USGA knows how to make even a good score.

post #36 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post
 

Kind of surprised at some of the predictions people are making in the "Jet speed driver" thread, -6 would be flat out phenomenal on this course, a lot of folks are not aware of these "turtleback" greens are going to be extremely difficult to get the ball to hold onto, 99' Stewart was the only player to finish below par -1 and if I remember the course was wet at least sunday and maybe even days before, that's the key though if it's dry count on even par to be right there or even a few over, the USGA knows how to make even a good score.

 

Yep - I posted before I did research..  But it's a swag regardless.

 

Sometimes even when the field is struggling, someone specific just flat out has a great week.  So it's not impossible....just unlikely.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread