or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread - Page 27

post #469 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post

I'm not down on Kaymer, if anything I'd more like to see a couple people from the -3 pack have a great Saturday and pull even just to create a more interesting Sunday. It's not as fun when what you're watching seems like a run for second place, unless you're a big fan of the guy up front (I'm pretty neutral on the guy).

Yup. This.

(Unless it were Tiger leading. In that case, the rest of the field could catch TB for all I care. b2_tongue.gif)
post #470 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
 

In his short game book he described his college days of putting as banging the ball past the hole, then trying to make the 3 foot comeback putt. That seemed to be what was happening today, except those comeback putts weren't falling. It was hard to watch, and I hope he has better luck over the weekend.

He was switching his grip (traditional and claw) and having a really tough time with distance control.  In the beginning he seemed really concerned about leaving putts short and was rolling them 6' - 10' past the hole.  By the end of the round he was leaving them short and looked totally lost. 

post #471 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

He was switching his grip (traditional and claw) and having a really tough time with distance control.  In the beginning he seemed really concerned about leaving putts short and was rolling them 6' - 10' past the hole.  By the end of the round he was leaving them short and looked totally lost. 

I would go nuts if I switched my grip mid-round, regardless of it even being a major or not. The fact that he was switching mid-round in a major is slightly concerning.

post #472 of 1034
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Give me five bucks and I'll edit it for you, Mike… ;-);-);-) 

 

Sounds good. Something like,

 

"Got a good feeling about Martin Kaymer, think he's going to play really well, like record breaking stuff after the first two rounds."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
 

I would go nuts if I switched my grip mid-round, regardless of it even being a major or not. The fact that he was switching mid-round in a major is slightly concerning.

 

He probably felt he couldn't putt any worse and wanted to give it a try.

post #473 of 1034
Predictions for round three:
  • Kaymer will play at a slightly less stellar level than in the first two days, but stay in front at about -12
  • Kevin Na's play will slow to the point of immobility and he will be carried from the course in an apparently catatonic state
  • Mickelson will hit several greens in regulation, putt off the green into the bunkers then hole out from the sand.
  • Poulter will take the prize for worst-dressed player
  • Commentators will describe Jordan Speith as "the future of golf" at least once every 30 minutes.
post #474 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm View Post

Predictions for round three:
  • Kaymer will play at a slightly less stellar level than in the first two days, but stay in front at about -12
  • Kevin Na's play will slow to the point of immobility and he will be carried from the course in an apparently catatonic state
  • Mickelson will hit several greens in regulation, putt off the green into the bunkers then hole out from the sand.
  • Poulter will take the prize for worst-dressed player
  • Commentators will describe Jordan Speith as "the future of golf" at least once every 30 minutes.

Wait... Did you hear that? That's the sound of the door shutting as people realize, hey, it's a nice day, what the hell am I doing indoors?
post #475 of 1034
The only reason I don like Na being up in contention, or at least don't like watching it, is that the last time he was in this position I watched him back off the tee shot on a par 3 twice in a row.
post #476 of 1034

Na. Mr slow will be playing with Mr speedy SNEEEDIKER

post #477 of 1034
I think they are using a masonry trowel to put Tilghman's make up on now...
post #478 of 1034

Course should start showing its teeth the next two days as long as it doesn't rain tonight. Drier air coming in and this should hopefully allow Pinehurst to get hard. Just not right seeing balls stick on this course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm View Post

Predictions for round three:
  • Kaymer will play at a slightly less stellar level than in the first two days, but stay in front at about -12
  • Kevin Na's play will slow to the point of immobility and he will be carried from the course in an apparently catatonic state
  • Mickelson will hit several greens in regulation, putt off the green into the bunkers then hole out from the sand.
  • Poulter will take the prize for worst-dressed player
  • Commentators will describe Jordan Speith as "the future of golf" at least once every 30 minutes.

 

I don't think Kaymer stays in double digits. In fact, I'll go on a limb and say very few people shoot under par today. While the course played identical to Congressional the first two rounds, it's going to play like Pinehurst should the last two. Dry conditions coming in, the breeze is picking up and they're maxing out the yardage today.....I think the USGA has said enough's enough and you'll finally start seeing this thing show its teeth today.

post #479 of 1034

The rollers are out! USGA is gonna make those greens like putting on linoleum. Time to make thing course show its teeth.

post #480 of 1034
Well I didn't think Kaymer would play this well I need him to come down to -4 or -5
post #481 of 1034

Pin positions on 1 & 2 today. Wow that's nasty.

 

post #482 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
 

Pin positions on 1 & 2 today. Wow that's nasty.

 

High risk / reward for those that want to try to catch Kaymer today.  I'm sure a few will go flag hunting, like Phil.

post #483 of 1034

Golf Channel is already trying to do some damage control in case no one catches Kaymer today.

post #484 of 1034

Not to be a dick or anything, but a 78 from Kaymer today would restore my faith in the Open. :-D

post #485 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

Not to be a dick or anything, but a 78 from Kaymer today would restore my faith in the Open. a3_biggrin.gif

Wouldn't even be the biggest swing in consecutive rounds we've ever seen in a major by a 18x-hole leader.

On an unrelated note, the guy on Morning Drive just said that Gary Woodland believes he can be a top-5 player. Not sure if Woodland actually said that or not, but here we go if so.
post #486 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindig View Post

Wouldn't even be the biggest swing in consecutive rounds we've ever seen in a major by a 18x-hole leader.

On an unrelated note, the guy on Morning Drive just said that Gary Woodland believes he can be a top-5 player. Not sure if Woodland actually said that or not, but here we go if so.
With the exception of putting, chipping, ball striking, and driving accuracy, yeah Gary's Top Five
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread